The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OLYMPIC SAILING THREAD...!

+16
whocares
EnglishReign
John Cregan
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Dave.
Duty281
Jennifer1984
dyrewolfe
bluestonevedder
alfie
owen10ozzy
Thomond
sugarNspikes
eirebilly
djlovesyou
maestegmafia
20 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

OLYMPIC SAILING THREAD...! - Page 2 Empty OLYMPIC SAILING THREAD...!

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sailing over the last decade and a half has reaped e rewards of the fantastic coaching and encouragement that the Royal Yachting Association and their many member clubs and People have worked hard to perfect.

Team GBR has dominated the medal table in sailing for the last three Olympics.

Today two of our best sailors start their campaigns to add to their collection of gold medals.

Ben Ainlslie is racing singlehanded in the Men's Finn Class, a tough and technical boat designed for the larger sailor. Iain Percy and his crew Andrew "Bart" Simpson start in the Star Class, a tecnical two sail, two-man keel boat, that they won gold in in Beijing.

Later today the women's match racing starts with the McGregor sisters and Annie Lush in a three person keel boat. These girls are full of talent though are at their first olympics.

Match racing is a boat vs boat disciplin as opposed to the Fleet racing that the Finn and Star class competitors take part in.

We stand a great chance of a medal haul and likely a number of golds. It all starts today at 12.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

OLYMPIC SAILING THREAD...! - Page 2 Empty Re: OLYMPIC SAILING THREAD...!

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Aug 2012, 7:34 pm

Jennifer1984 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Annalise Murphy is doing better than expected so far, despite us knowing she would be very good in strong breeze, O'Leary and Burrows (Star Class Keelboat, Peter O'Leary is son of former Munsater and Irealand number eight Anthony O'Leary, also a formidable sailor) are not doing so well, we thought they would be up there.

Re GBR mostly as expected except Ben Ainslie who we thought was pretty unbeatable, he is one of the top sailors in the world at all levels, has his own Americas cup team sponsored by Larry Ellson of Oracle Yacht Racing. Beano can't beat the Danish lad at the moment, thoughBen gets better as the pressure builds and it would be a massive shock for him not to be in the medals somewhere, to be honest I still believe he will get the gold, he's that good.

Ali Youmg is maybe doing better than we expected.

Still have the 470 two man/ladies class dinghy to start tomorrow, so more to come.

Young Welsh/English crew of Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark look good for a medal of some description, possibly gold, they were on fire winning gold in the pre Olympic warm up regatta here in Weymouth a month ago.

Bearing in mind that Ainslie has been beaten by Christensen in every race so far, Maesteg, It's pleasing to read that somebody as well informed as yourself considers he is still a favourite for the gold.

But at what point to you think it would become beyond him..? How much margin for further error does he have before Christensen's lead becomes unassailable...?

Good question Jennifer.

Let's look at the Finn Class top four in the table after Six races, four left to go, two tomorrow and two Friday.

1 DEN 14 (Points) 7 (Points minus worst score.)

2 GBR 29 17

3 FRA 32 23

4 CRO 33 24

The scoring works on a one pointe for a win, two for a second, three for a third, best result is least points... The worst result is a discarded result when the scores are rotted up at the end. Hense their relevance now.

You can see there is a gap of ten points between Ben and Jonas. Ben needs to narrow that gap over the next four races so that he can beat him in the double points valued medal race on Sunday.

One way he may do this is to tactically sail Jonas off the course in a few races to try to give him a higher points score. But the problem with that tactic is that, as we saw in the third race in the series when Jonas scored a 7th after hitting the committee boat and rounding the first bout in 24th, he has the ability to make up places through the fleet as well, if not better than Ben.

Another tactic would be to get ahead of Jonas at the start and try to sail him behind a couple of other sailors keeping him "covered", where you put your boat between your rival and the next bout, preventing them from over taking you and slowing both of you down.

Again a risky manoeuvre.

Ben might just find that the Danish guy has a bad start and can't recover, he may not suit the lighter breeze whe Ben is very good. The points difference may narrow very quickly if Ben wins and Jonas is stuck around tenth or worse.

It will be very much a see what happens scenario with each of the four races, Ben will be acutely aware of narrowing the points difference, trying to over haul him before the medal race. Jonas is not known to be a top talent, so he may just start falling apart a bit over the end of the series.

But answering your question of when is Ben out of contention for gold? Well unfortunately it could be as early as tomorrow if the Dane keeps winning and Ben does not.

Two more results with five places between them could easily see Denmark take gold before the medal race.

I hope I didn't make that sound too complex. It's not it's all simple. But the tactics will be fascinating. Ben is the best in the world at using a fleet to "match race" a rival out of Gold, he famously did so at the Sydney games in 2000 to take gold from Robert Schidt of Brazil in one of the finest sailing performances ever witnessed.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2012, 7:43 pm

I've been amazed how consistent Ben Ainsley has been over so many years. I think the surprise has been this consistency, considering everyone has the same kit and the vagaries of the wind conditions and other boat positions.

The Danish sailor said something like he would like to beat Ben Ainslie so that Ben doesn't beat or tie some Olympic record held by a Danish sailor of the past. The Dane also said he has been surprised just how everything seems to be working out for him in this meeting.

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 01 Aug 2012, 7:43 pm

Yeh maestegmafia,

I was going to say, the two manoeuvres you spoke of are risky, but on his day I don't think their is anyone in the world who can do them like Ainslie can.

As you point to I think tomorrow is key, im not sure the dane will keep up this form all the way through and when it gets to the pressue cooker stage which it is approaching I can see Ainslie making up the ground.

Been fantastic watching it so far and I am lucky enough to be in a job which has allowed me to go to Weymouth & report on it twice so far.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I've been amazed how consistent Ben Ainsley has been over so many years. I think the surprise has been this consistency, considering everyone has the same kit and the vagaries of the wind conditions and other boat positions.

The Danish sailor said something like he would like to beat Ben Ainslie so that Ben doesn't beat or tie some Olympic record held by a Danish sailor of the past. The Dane also said he has been surprised just how everything seems to be working out for him in this meeting.

Ben is rare in that he has persisted with his Olympic sailing whilst maintaining a professional yacht racing career, most sailors smell Americas cup money and forget about getting wet in dinghies. Ian Percy can be credited the same.

Ben has improved as a sailor through professional yachting immeasurably. But he always has been an exceptional talent as well. He is the best in this bunch over the last Olympic four year cycle, he rarely loses to anyone but the other talented British guys like Ed Wright and Giles Scott. (Giles is our big hope for the future, he's only 25 and already number two in the Finn class rankings behind Ainslie, Wright is third and another Brit mark Andrew is fifth I think).

Jonas is quite frankly sailing the regatta of his life so far, maybe it is to protect the four gold medals held by Danish legend Paul Elvestrom. If Ben gets gold, he will have four golds and a silver and will become the most decorated Olympic sailor in history.

This battle for gold should surely become a legendary Olympic battle well worth watching.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:
Been fantastic watching it so far and I am lucky enough to be in a job which has allowed me to go to Weymouth & report on it twice so far.

Yes me too.

I am semi retired but I started a computer graphics company a long time ago that creates all the computerised assistance you are watching in most sports on TV.

We also developed statistical software that monitors performance, so have been heavily involved with sailing at Americas cup level.

I got the sailing bug when living and working in Australia in the seventies.

I'm here as more of an ambassador and armchair fan. The atmosphere is fantastic, the crowds passionate and the sailing magnificent, so much talent out there.

Luckily no one has asked me any technical questions and the clever engineers we employ have kept all running well for the viewers.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 8:08 am

Weather looks quite breezy for today's racing, but forecasters think it may drop off a bit later.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 8:23 am

20 knots dropping to 15 knots by the afternoon.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:36 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Good question Jennifer.

Let's look at the Finn Class top four in the table after Six races, four left to go, two tomorrow and two Friday.

1 DEN 14 (Points) 7 (Points minus worst score.)

2 GBR 29 17

3 FRA 32 23

4 CRO 33 24

The scoring works on a one pointe for a win, two for a second, three for a third, best result is least points... The worst result is a discarded result when the scores are rotted up at the end. Hense their relevance now.

You can see there is a gap of ten points between Ben and Jonas. Ben needs to narrow that gap over the next four races so that he can beat him in the double points valued medal race on Sunday.

One way he may do this is to tactically sail Jonas off the course in a few races to try to give him a higher points score. But the problem with that tactic is that, as we saw in the third race in the series when Jonas scored a 7th after hitting the committee boat and rounding the first bout in 24th, he has the ability to make up places through the fleet as well, if not better than Ben.

Another tactic would be to get ahead of Jonas at the start and try to sail him behind a couple of other sailors keeping him "covered", where you put your boat between your rival and the next bout, preventing them from over taking you and slowing both of you down.

Again a risky manoeuvre.

Ben might just find that the Danish guy has a bad start and can't recover, he may not suit the lighter breeze whe Ben is very good. The points difference may narrow very quickly if Ben wins and Jonas is stuck around tenth or worse.

It will be very much a see what happens scenario with each of the four races, Ben will be acutely aware of narrowing the points difference, trying to over haul him before the medal race. Jonas is not known to be a top talent, so he may just start falling apart a bit over the end of the series.

But answering your question of when is Ben out of contention for gold? Well unfortunately it could be as early as tomorrow if the Dane keeps winning and Ben does not.

Two more results with five places between them could easily see Denmark take gold before the medal race.

I hope I didn't make that sound too complex. It's not it's all simple. But the tactics will be fascinating. Ben is the best in the world at using a fleet to "match race" a rival out of Gold, he famously did so at the Sydney games in 2000 to take gold from Robert Schidt of Brazil in one of the finest sailing performances ever witnessed.

Thanks for that. I must confess to being an absolute duffer in disciplines such as sailing. Of course, I'm aware that Ben Ainslie is a very intelligent sailor..... you don't get to be a triple Olympic champion by not knowing what you're doing..!!

I think all we can say is: "In Ben we trust" and leave him to get on with it in his own inimitable way.

I won't be able to watch the medals races at the weekend because we are travelling up to London ourselves overnight on Friday to go to the gymnastics on Sunday and the athletics on Wednesday an Thursday..

We're going to go around Greenwich Park on Saturday. We don't have tickets for the show jumping, but we want to soak up the atmosphere and see what they've done to my old playground (I come from Blackheath, which is a part of Greenwich Borough). I've seen the start of the London Marathon from Greenwich Park / Blackheath Common more than once, but I reckon this is going to be on a completely different level.

Anyway... I'm waffling. LOL. I'm going to be too busy to watch the sailing finals, but I really, really wish Ben and all our sailors the very best of luck.

There is an old saying, which I reckon you may be aware of: Scratch the surface of any Briton and underneath you'll find a farmer or a sailor.

Farming isn't yet an Olympic sport(yet..?), so I guess it's down to our sailors to do us proud. Good luck.

(PS... you can call me Jen. )

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:28 pm

No worries Jen

All looking good here.

Nice article on Ben in the Guardian today.

Ben Ainslie ready to battle for right to defend Olympic crown
Ben Ainslie, the three-times Olympic champion, knows he must be at his best in this week's qualifier for a Finn berth at 2012

Ben Ainslie at the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy, the sailing venue for the 2012 Olympic Games. Photograph: Chris Ison/PA
Donald McRae
The Guardian, Tue 7 Jun 2011 00.05 BST
Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on email More Sharing Services
Racing against someone who is a foot taller than you, and 10 years younger, poses its own issues," Ben Ainslie says dryly as, looking across the sunlit sea, he readies himself for his next big brute of a challenge. This week, at Weymouth, where the 2012 Olympic sailing competition will be held, Ainslie faces a battle that some believe is even more onerous than his pursuit of a fourth successive gold medal. At the grandly-named Skandia Sail for Gold regatta, Ainslie will be one of four British men chasing down a single Olympic place in the Finn class.
Ainslie, Giles Scott, the youthful giant, and Ed Wright occupy the first three positions in the World Cup rankings – while Andrew Mills is just outside the top 10. An intense duel will not be settled this week, but the winner will have laid down a marker in the race to be Britain's sole Olympic representative in the Finn.
"The selection process is complicated," Ainslie says, "but this week is crucial. In the Olympics there is only one spot per class per nation. This event should decide who the selectors put forward for a pre-Olympic regatta [at Weymouth in August] and so it's possible that by the end of that we'll know who is sailing the Finn in 2012. They're hoping to make some early selections in the British Olympic sailing team by September – so there's a lot riding on this week."
Ainslie has sailed at four Olympics, winning three gold medals and a silver, and it seems mildly shocking that his place could be in jeopardy. Earlier this year, finally returning to the Finn after spending most of his time since the 2008 Olympics pursuing a frustratingly elusive dream of competing in the America's Cup, Ainslie was defeated twice in Miami by Scott. The 23-year-old Scott is 11 years younger than him – and while he is not quite a foot bigger than the multiple Olympic champion he is eight inches taller and benefits more from the recent rule changes which have made the Finn such a physically demanding form of sailing.
Yet, for all his urbane charm, Ainslie is a ferocious competitor and he sounds amused when considering the doubts that have been voiced since Scott ended a six-year winning streak. "I've been aware of all the talk – but it's always like this. Before China, Ed Wright was sailing really well. I had to beat him in Australia to ensure my Olympic place. In 2004, I faced Andrew Simpson, who has since won gold in a different Olympic category with Iain Percy. It was incredibly tight then. The difference now is that four of us are hunting that spot."
A fascinating contrast has also emerged. Can Ainslie, at the age of 34, hold off the much more physically imposing Scott? He might once have regarded Ainslie as his hero, but Scott has voiced a more bullish ambition to rip away the older man's Olympic berth. "He's about 6ft 7in, and I'm 5ft 11in," Ainslie says, "and so this will test my experience. Whoever wins qualifying will have a very good chance of becoming Olympic champion." Ainslie's confidence is evident, especially when asked if his rivalry with Scott can be compared to his bruising struggles against Robert Scheidt and Guillaume Florent. "No," he says bluntly – which is the only possible response when his sailing wars against Scheidt are remembered. In 2004, after he beat the Brazilian at the Sydney Olympics, effigies of Ainslie were burnt in São Paulo. He was also subjected to a death threat.
A domestic spat in Weymouth will seem more like a splash in the water after those venomous Olympic races – in which Ainslie showed a ruthlessness not often associated with British sportsmen. And his reaction to Scott's suggestion that they have engaged in "shouting matches" on the water is telling. "It's quite interesting to hear his perspective," Ainslie says, sounding more relaxed by the minute. "I find it quite amusing. But I've obviously got a lot more experience."
So Scott's "shouting matches" barely registered with Ainslie? "That was child's play," he says. "I've had real battles in the past. But I'm sure it will still be tough this week. Giles has been sailing well and Ed's hard to beat. I guess they've got respect for me being British and, following me through the youth system, I respect them. I was in Giles's position 10 or 15 years ago.
"The rivalry you get, and the occasional shouting, is part of racing. So far we haven't had situations with Giles. Maybe this week we will. And if it has to be the way then that's fine by me."
Ainslie is good at exuding the kind of deadly cool which a sophisticated hitman might use to intimidate his victims – and it explains why he has so often been described as a "killer" on the water. But, despite his impressive authority and Olympian self-belief, he lost twice to Scott earlier this year. Did he attach any significance to those defeats? "Not really. I was quite surprised by people's reactions. I hadn't stepped in the Finn for two years and I had one day of training. I finished fourth, just outside the medals, and everyone was in shock.
"But I was quite happy. Sailing's like any other sport. It's hard. You don't just walk in and win after two years out. So after a winter of training I was very happy with my results in Palma and Hyères. That was more indicative of my real performance level."
Ainslie won easily in Palma, beating Scott, and he was crushing in Hyères. In that French regatta he looked near his imperious best as he had the event won before the final race. "It was one of those dream regattas where everything went well and I didn't have any bad luck. But, yes, I sailed well and it was easy. Psychologically, it's very good and I just need to keep the momentum going."
The hardest battle, for Ainslie, might have already been won. He was devastated when British hopes for the America's Cup were shredded last autumn by spiralling costs. "It was a very difficult period, and getting back into the Finn was really hard. To be honest it [his disappointment] hasn't fully gone away yet. I do think about it and I get seriously peed off with what's happened to the America's Cup."
As happens in many sports when hundreds of millions of dollars are involved, the America's Cup has became a machiavellian world in which power struggles and legal machinations matter more than the actual competition.
Sir Keith Mills, who had ploughed much of his own fortune into a British team led by Ainslie, finally shut down the dream last November. "I didn't agree with the decision at first," Ainslie says, "but there really wasn't any point in me disagreeing. I have a lot of respect for Keith in business and sport, and as a person. I just believed we had a team that was still capable of winning."
Ainslie's fervour for the America's Cup runs so deep that, two years ago, he chose the race ahead of another Olympics.
"As a kid there were two things I wanted to win: the America's Cup and the Olympics. I was committed to our team. We worked hard for two years to get the right management and sailors. We had a fantastic owner in Keith, and I couldn't walk away from 30 sailors and the same number in the design team. But the America's Cup has become such a mess and even now it doesn't look like sorting itself out. It's a worry for guys like me who regard it as the pinnacle of yacht racing. But I'm still very passionate about it and hopefully it'll become a great event again. So it looks like Sir Keith made the right decision.
"I now have this fantastic opportunity in the Finn. It's still really hard when you feel so frustrated about the America's Cup – but the flipside of trying to win a fourth gold medal at your home Olympics is special. I couldn't have done both so I'm starting to think I'm lucky it's worked out this way. Maybe, around 2016, I'll get a crack at the America's Cup."
The Finn has become so gruelling that Ainslie had to spend six months punishing himself in training to bulk up and gain more stamina and fitness than he has ever needed. Was he motivated primarily by anger, in the wake of the America's Cup, rather than Olympic dreaming?
"Yeah," Ainslie says flatly, before laughing at his candour. "Yeah. But that's the beauty of Finn sailing. You're on your own and nobody can mess up your programme with politics or whatever. It's down to you. That's rewarding."
The biggest reward of all would be a fourth Olympic gold medal – a feat achieved by only one previous sailor, the Dane, Paul Elvstrom. "To win another Olympic gold medal would be a very big deal," Ainslie says. "On paper, this week's qualifying races might seem harder. But with the Olympics there is much more pressure. People forget how hard it is and that the pressure is immense."
Other people are also forgetful, or simply ignorant, when failing to appreciate the Olympic legacy Ainslie has already created. Tessa Jowell, in her past role as Olympics minister, always insisted on calling him "Matthew" – habitually mistaking Ainslie for Matthew Pinsent, another four-time Olympic gold-medal winner in a boat.
"Yeah, bless her," Ainslie says witheringly. "It can't be easy."
In 2008, rather than highlighting the extent of his extreme dedication and talent at their Sports Personality of the Year award, the BBC also insulted a formidable competitor by asking Ainslie to fall backwards into the water in a jokey outtake. Sue Barker might have giggled at him but perhaps they will be less patronising if Ainslie wins yet another Olympics next year. "Those things don't really help," he says. "But I'm not going to worry about it. My job is just to get results. My job is to win. And as long as I'm winning, like this week, I'm happy."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:30 pm

Good breeze today in Weymouth but of sun too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm

And the good news at the third mark is...!

AINSLIE B
31:59
POSTMA PJ
+0:05
TRUJILLO VILLAR R
+0:29
ZBOGAR V
+0:42
KARPAK D
+0:44
KLJAKOVIC GASPIC I
+0:47
SLATER D
+0:50
LOBERT J
+0:53
BIRGMARK D
+0:58
HOGH-CHRISTENSEN J
+1:02
ZARIF J
+1:04
NIRKKO T
+1:09
DOUGLAS G
+1:13
CASEY B

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm

Basically that is the ten points Ben needs

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:52 pm

GBR in medal shout now in 49er fleet

Won the first race today just now

Results below

Rank Athlete Time Pts
1 GBR MORRISON S 29:47 1
RHODES B

2 LEHTINEN L +0:09 2
BASK K
3 MARTINEZ DE LIZARD +0:37 3
FERNANDEZ GAZTANAG
4 DELLE KARTH N +0:42 4
RESCH N
5 NORREGAARD A +0:44 5
LANG P
6 KIRKLAND J +0:45 6
KIRKLAND A
7 SCHADEWALDT T +0:53 7
BAUMANN H
8 ANGILELLA G +0:59 8
SIBELLO G
9 BURLING P +1:00 9
TUKE B
10 Ozzie OUTTERIDGE N +1:10 10
JENSEN I

11 SEATON R +1:19 11
MCGOVERN M
12 DYEN E +1:19 12
CHRISTIDIS S
13 FREITAS B +1:26 13
ANDRADE F
14 VON GEIJER J +1:32 14
DURING N
15 PRZYBYTEK L +1:34 15
KOLODZINSKI P

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:54 pm

Great news happening in the Star clad where Percy/Simpson GBR are in third. Rivals Brazil outside top ten.

Poland
21:08
Sweden
+0:03
Great Britain
+0:10
Denmark
+0:14
Norway
+0:17
Ireland
+0:18
Switzerland
+0:19
New Zealand
+0:21
Croatia
+0:24
Portugal
+0:28
United States
+0:30
Canada
+0:31
Brazil

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:55 pm

470 first race GBR second looking great today

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:57 pm

You're doing a fantastic job mate, keep it up. thumbsup

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:01 pm

Good Morning Maestegmafia,

How are you today?

Sounds like you have a very interesting job, do I have you to thank for that picture which shows the distance between each person during the race?

Are you heading to weymouth on saturday for the medal races...im under the impression that is when the finn class is decided, is that the case? If so im going to attempt to get my boss to send me to do the coverage/write up for it!!

Im at the aquatic centre today where apart from Adlington and one other our females we have very little to cheer about...so glad to hear things are much brighter down at the sailing.

Last I heard the dane had capsized hence his position..was that the case? If so then it seems my prediction of him struggling when it gets to the pressure cooker moments could ring true....

As I said whilst i follow the sailing i dont do so consistently but from all accounts the dane isn't used to being in these positions that frequently and I think that could end up being the telling factor..

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:43 pm

My company were basically the people who put everything from the scores on BBC while you watch sport back in the late sixties to the americas cup race tracker program that BBC are using for the Olympics.

I'm here until the end. Loving it, wouldn't miss it for anything.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 4:46 pm

Great start in the two man 470 dinghy today.

1 GBR 2 1 - - - - - - - - - 3 3

2 LAT 1 4 - - - - - - - - - 5 5

3 SWE 4 6 - - - - - - - - - 10 10

4 NZ 8 3 - - - - - - - - - 11 11

5 Australia 3 9 - - - - - - - - - 12 12

The Australians are the form team in this class, though the Brits, both young and at their first Olympics are an outsiders favourite for gold.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 5:58 pm

Ian Percy is looking fantastic this Games

Look at these results, two races and the double points medal race to go.

1 GBR 11 2 3 2 1 2 1 2 - - - 24 13

2 BRA 4 1 9 6 2 1 3 5 - - - 31 22

3 SWE 10 4 4 1 5 3 4 1 - - - 32 22

BRA and SWE tied on 22 points lagging nine points behind Team GBR.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2012, 7:43 pm

Ben Ainslie warned his rivals they had "made him angry" as he reignited his quest for a fourth Olympic gold medal.

The Briton hit back with a first and a third to narrow the gap to leader Jonas Hogh-Christensen to three points with two races and the medal race left.

Ainslie claimed Hogh-Christensen and Dutchman Pieter-Jan Postma teamed up against him, forcing him to do a penalty turn in race two.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19102904

Is that something that happens; two different teams / nations joining together to thwart a third?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Aug 2012, 11:06 pm

i would be surprised if that was actually true and watching it it certainly didn't seem like he hit the bouy, but if you are protested post race and a witness agrees with the protestor then you are screwed so Ben took the right course of action taking the penalty turns as a precautionary measure.

Ben came through brilliantly today and hauling in all those points difference is what shows him as the man to beat in this class whether leading or in second place as he currently is.

That aside the rest of team GBR are doing superbly well. we are in with a chance of a medal in all sailing fleets. Possibly several gold medals too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

Finn Class positions first lap first race.

1 POSTMA PJ 25:27
2 MITAKIS I +0:03
3 HOGH-CHRISTENSEN J +0:04
4 SLATER D +0:08
5 LOBERT J +0:16
6 CASEY B +0:20
7 ZBOGAR V +0:24
8 AINSLIE B

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:17 pm

Ben Ainslie is hauling in Christensen.

Great work by Ben

1 POSTMA PJ 1:07:38 1
2 ZBOGAR V +0:31 2
3 LOBERT J +0:48 3
4 KLJAKOVIC GASPIC I +0:57 4
5 DEN HOGH-CHRISTENSEN J +1:07 5
6 GBR AINSLIE B +1:13 6

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

Race not over yet, final lap.

Other results look ok but Paul Goodison the Beijing Gold medalist is struggling in the Laser Class.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

He's cut the gap to four!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:26 pm

He did well to get back in that.

One race left and he needs to reduce the gap to absolute minimum.

He might result to match racing Christensen in a private battle trying to force a penalty out of him.

This race could be fantastic.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:27 pm

If there is a tie on net points, I assume medal race positions break the tie?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:31 pm

DEN 23 Points

GBR 27 Points

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm

Olympic Dave wrote:If there is a tie on net points, I assume medal race positions break the tie?

If points are tied, even after the medal race then racing goes on count back and the sailor with the recently ascending scores is the winner.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:40 pm

Percy is looking great in the Star Keelboat fleet.

1 11 2 3 2 1 2 1 2 4 28 17

2 4 1 9 6 2 1 3 5 1 32 23

3 10 4 4 1 5 3 4 1 2 34 24

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Aug 2012, 2:58 pm

Ainslee just did a cheeky one..dropped back and forced Denmark back behind the Netherlands

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

Ainslie was awesome today, great move helping the dutch get by the dane.....gonna be an epic on sunday!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:46 pm

Brilliant by Ainslie.

Start of the 49er just about to happen.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:49 pm

Maesteg, could you explain to me the technique of how Ben done that? Very tactical this sailing!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:59 pm

He was essentially getting himself in a line with the Dane and the wind so the Dane gets more choppy air.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Aug 2012, 4:13 pm

First time i've really sat down and watched sailing and an ainslie race. I have to admit it's pretty sensational the racing and the physical demands they are put through is amazing. The rivalry, the bad feeling and how close they are together in the battle for gold just magnifies the tension and intrigue going into sunday's final. It's puts into perspective how difficult winning gold in this event is compared to other gold medal sports where the physical and mental strain put on the olympian is considerably less.

Good Luck Ainslie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

Olympic Dave wrote:Maesteg, could you explain to me the technique of how Ben done that? Very tactical this sailing!

Basically ff the back of any aerofoil (sail) you get a varying amount of turbulence. That is bad air, less wind than clear air without interference.

A common tactic is to position your boat, (when you are ahead and trying to slow down your opposition so that they can't over take you), slightly to windward and slightly ahead leaving your sail shadowing the wind from the opposition.

To be honest Ben was too far ahead of Jonas to have much effect on his wind, the Dutch sailor took advantage of the fact that Jonas was concentrating too hard on Ainslie and not on maintaining his own position in second.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 5:44 pm

John wrote:First time i've really sat down and watched sailing and an ainslie race. I have to admit it's pretty sensational the racing and the physical demands they are put through is amazing. The rivalry, the bad feeling and how close they are together in the battle for gold just magnifies the tension and intrigue going into sunday's final. It's puts into perspective how difficult winning gold in this event is compared to other gold medal sports where the physical and mental strain put on the olympian is considerably less.

Good Luck Ainslie
So happy to hear you are enjoying the sailing mate.

It is a fantastic sport that for years was seen as very difficult to televise, but I think the media are getting the hang of it now.

To convey the talent and skill is the hardest. I think that Leigh McMillians commentary has been superb.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 7:08 pm

Todays racing decided who will be in the medal races on Sunday in the Finn Class (Ben Ainslie) and the Star Class (Ian Percy and Andrew Simpson).

Finn results after ten races are:

1 DEN 1 1 2 7 1 2 8 4 5 3 34 26

2 GBR 2 2 6 12 4 3 1 3 6 1 40 28

3 NED 5 10 3 4 20 13 2 2 1 2 62 42

4 FRA 9 4 4 2 6 7 5 10 3 7 57 47

5 CRO 3 3 7 9 5 6 3 7 4 10 57 47

6 SLO 8 6 5 3 8 5 9 6 2 6 58 49

7 FIN 11 13 8 5 3 12 4 5 15 17 93 76

8 SWE 17 5 14 1 9 9 10 12 10 8 95 78

9 NZ 7 11 1 6 17 11 6 15 8 14 96 79

10 Spain 12 12 12 23 7 4 15 1 13 4 103 80

And in the Star Class

1 GBR 11 2 3 2 1 2 1 2 4 1 - 29 18

2 BRA 4 1 9 6 2 1 3 5 1 3 - 35 26

3 SWE 10 4 4 1 5 3 4 1 2 6 - 40 30

4 NOR 7 5 2 4 16 11 8 4 7 5 - 69 53

5 POL 9 3 12 10 3 4 2 9 13 2 - 67 54

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Aug 2012, 7:16 pm

GREAT RESULTS for GBR in the two man/woman trapeze dinghy 470 Classes.

Mens 470 - AFTER FOUR RACES

1 GBR 2 1 4 2 9
2 AUS 3 9 2 1 15
3 POL 1 4 7 19 31
4 SWE 4 6 8 14 32
5 POR 12 2 16 5 35

Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell have taken a great lead in this fleet. THe Australian are multiple World champions and sure fire favourites, this young Scots/Eng team have done very very well on home waters. 2x 2nd 1x 1st and a 4th as their worst result is fantastic.

Ladies 470 AFTER TWO RACES

1 GBR 6 1 7
2 AUS 2 6 8
3 NED 1 8 9
4 USA 7 3 10
5 JAP 9 4 13

Great start by Hannah and Saskia in a WElsh/English team for the 470 ladies class. these girls are very talented and are excelling in another very tough fleet. They will take a great amount of confidence from this good start and will hopefully carry on their form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 04 Aug 2012, 9:48 am

Three fleets, Star, Finn and 49er have the day off today but all the other fleets are racing.

Big hopes today are for the 470 class where GBR are leading both fleets. Both crews are young and talented though we're probably not tipped as likely winners. They have the ability and it is very obvious that the crowds of tens of thousands coming to Weymouth and Portland to watch everyday have given all the competitors a great boost.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 04 Aug 2012, 12:37 pm

Difficult conditions outside the harbour, not much wind, maybe around ten knots, but quite abnormally large waves.

This makes the conditions much more physically demanding.

Unfortunately this is very tough on GBR's Paul Goodison who has been carrying a back injury since the end of the first day of the regatta.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 04 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

Black flag on the first start for Alison Young in the ladies Laser Radial Class. This means she was over the start line pre start and will be disqualified for the next race.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 04 Aug 2012, 2:29 pm

Ladies Laser Radial Single handed class.. LAST RACE...

Its all on for the race for medals

1 ANNALISE MURPHY - IRL 1 1 1 1 8 19 2 10 2 45 Total Points 26 Score

2 EVI VAN ACKER - BEL 3 2 3 8 1 5 8 1 8 39 Total Points 31 Score +

3 LILLY XU - CHN 5 8 11 3 5 4 1 4 1 42 Total Points 31 Score +

4 MARIT BOUWMEESTER - NED 6 3 4 5 6 1 4 3 6 38 Total Points 32 Score +

5 ALISON YOUNG - GBR 7 10 2 2 2 11 6 8 BFD 90 Total Points 37 Score

It is really close here. The tope ten all qualify for the medal race...! The Medal race is double points so this top five are all in with a chance of a medal...

The ladies 470 race is about to start, the GBR Girls Mills and Clarke are leading the fleet going into their third race in a ten races series with a medal race to follow.

The ladies Match racing has been an epic tussle, Team MacLush go in to the knock out stage today..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 04 Aug 2012, 3:38 pm

Ladies Laser Radial Single Hander results after ten races, pre medal race

So Lilly Xu wins the first part of the series... Medal Race on Monday, double points see the medals realistically going to either of the top four.

Ali Young could get a medal should a real upset of form happen, but that i unlikely unfortunately.

1 CHN 5 8 11 3 5 4 1 4 1 2 - 44 33
2 NED 6 3 4 5 6 1 4 3 6 1 - 39 33
3 IRL 1 1 1 1 8 19 2 10 3 7 - 53 34
4 BEL 3 2 3 8 1 5 8 1 8 3 - 42 34
5 GBR 7 10 2 2 2 11 6 8 42 4 - 94 52

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 04 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

She is still in it, gold can be got but unlikely. Silver or Bronze is certainly achievable. Come on Annalise!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 04 Aug 2012, 3:42 pm

Ladies two man trapeze dinghy 470 Class. After race three the leader board looks like this:

1 AUS 2 6 2 - - - - - - - - 10 10

2 GBR 6 1 4 - - - - - - - - 11 11

3 NED 1 8 6 - - - - - - - - 15 15

4 USA 7 3 5 - - - - - - - - 15 15

5 NZ 14 7 3 - - - - - - - - 24 24

6 FRA 10 17 1 - - - - - - - - 28 28

Second Race later this afternon

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 04 Aug 2012, 3:43 pm

Thomond wrote:She is still in it, gold can be got but unlikely. Silver or Bronze is certainly achievable. Come on Annalise!

She is a young girl and is no where near as experienced as Xu, Boumeester or Van Acker at this level.. She just needs to relax and get back into her starting.. A good start and she'll be fine.

The conditions suit her, she should have done better today. Poor Starts let her down.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 04 Aug 2012, 3:48 pm

Mens 470 Class After Race FIVE one more to go today.

1 AUS 3 9 2 1 1 7
2 GBR 2 1 4 2 3 8
3 AUT 1 4 7 19 4 16
4 ITA 6 26 1 8 6 21
5 NZ 28 3 5 4 16 28
6 POR 12 2 16 5 11 30
7 SWE 4 6 8 14 13 31
8 ARG 5 24 3 9 17 34
9 FRA 9 10 11 6 10 35
10 NED 8 5 19 7 21 39

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next