The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rooney: a trequartista extrordinaire

5 posters

Go down

Rooney: a trequartista extrordinaire Empty Rooney: a trequartista extrordinaire

Post by Walmsleyface Wed 13 Apr 2011, 1:04 am

Rooney has excelled recently in his old position, just behind the front man. He is pulling the strings, getting in great positions and having much more influence on games. In short, he is looking like the player we know and love. Although he had his best scoring season last year and won the individual awards, i felt he didn't have a true influence on matches. He was doing what SAF wanted and had to lead the line.

I have a theory that being played out of position was one of the big problems Rooney had when he threatened to leave earlier this season. Although he would never criticize SAF in public (how ever could you), he does seem to have been playing in the traditional trequartista role a lot more after his renegotiation.

Maybe a heart to heart with the big man (and an extra 100K a week) was all it needed. Rooney also needed the striker to play behind, he was sort of doing this before Ronaldo left, and Chicarito's emergence has proved a great foil for him. Berbatov was never going to provide this.

Discuss

Walmsleyface

Back to top Go down

Rooney: a trequartista extrordinaire Empty Re: Rooney: a trequartista extrordinaire

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:37 am

I definitely think Rooney looks more at ease playing behind Hernanndez, Chicarito makes great runs but more importantly he knows his job is in the final thuird, allowing Rooney to drop off, also, the return of Valencia has been a big factory in Rooneys return to form as well IMO, he set up a lot of goals last y ear and his pressence in the team allows Rooney more space

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Rooney: a trequartista extrordinaire Empty Re: Rooney: a trequartista extrordinaire

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:57 am

Rooney benefits from the space made for him by Valencia and especially Chicarito with the great runs they make. Chicarito pulls centre halfs all over the place leaving Rooney floating about with topposition team not sure if their midfielder or centre halfs are meant to pick up Wayne giving im the space and time to get on the ball and score goals. Playing this way I don't see him scoring 30 goals a season but he will contribute more to the team.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfect Jack Thu 14 Apr 2011, 5:41 pm

This is a great combination that Rooney and Hernandez are forming but I wonder where does this leave Berbatov? Berba's done well this season with 20 goals but I don't know how he will fit in anywhere.

Perfect Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 14 Apr 2011, 7:28 pm

Its a fair comment Jack, quite ironic that Berbatov's position looks so weak when he has had his best season at United, I think Ferguson would sell him tho and bring in someone else given the chance

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfect Jack Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:27 pm

I wouldn't sell him as I think he's one of those players where you sell him as he hasn't done well for a couple seasons and then in the next few seasons he hits 20+ goals in all of them and wins a couple trophies for his new club. The case of Forlan comes to mind actually.

Perfect Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Sat 07 May 2011, 11:53 pm

In fairness I haven't seen a player have to effortlessy pass like him other than Paul Scholes.

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down