The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'The best track and field team on the planet’

+3
lfc91
azania
english_osprey
7 posters

Go down

'The best track and field team on the planet’  Empty 'The best track and field team on the planet’

Post by english_osprey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

"Frater declared that ‘the best track and field team on the planet’ were ready to compete in London. ‘Right now it’s us against the world,’ said Frater."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2178332/London-2012-Olympics-Usain-Bolt-WILL-fit-Games-insist-Jamaica-team.html#ixzz21erJZ7CE

Is Michael's confidence misplaced or are the Jamaicans indeed the best track and field team at the Games?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

'The best track and field team on the planet’  Empty Re: 'The best track and field team on the planet’

Post by azania Wed 25 Jul 2012, 7:28 pm

The best track team probably in the blue riband events. Anything north of 400m and they'll be found wanting.

azania

Back to top Go down

'The best track and field team on the planet’  Empty Re: 'The best track and field team on the planet’

Post by lfc91 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:07 pm

Field? Definatley not. Track, definatley up there.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by djkbrown2001 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 8:25 am

I guess the Kenyans, USA and Ethiopians will have something to say about that. It is all subjective.

No doubt judging my the media attention etc, the Jamaican team is the most popular. I just hope they will live up to the hype.

I predict that we will take home 4 gold medals. the maximum we can take home is 6. That is a clean sweep of all the sprint events. Which is unlikely to happen due to Felix's form in the 200m.

100m/200m men and 4x100m men (if they get the batton around)
100m women.

I am tempted to say 4x100m women but the USA beat us last year and in 2008 we dropped the baton.

The USA will win: 200m women, all the 400m flat races , plus the hurdles, 110 hurdles men, 4x400m men and women , decathalon, shot put at minimum.

Thats 10 gold medals minimum compare to a maximum of Jamaica 6.

The USA is the best team in the world hands down.

The kenyans or the ethiopians will take everyting from 800 up. That leaves Russia with the Walks and the field events.

The top 5 in the athlectis table not in any particular order will be:

USA, Jamaica, Kenya, Russia and Ethiopia.

Team GB wll get a maximum of 3 Gold medal.

Jess/MO and Robbie the probables.

Dai Green has an outside chance.

djkbrown2001

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

sounds about right dj

who's going to win the mens 100m?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:07 pm

That medal table sounds about right apart from Ethiopia. I'm not sure where they're going to get many golds from.

Kenya have their number in the women's long distances at the moment, and Mo COULD shut them out in the men's long distances.

Middle distances they're still a bit behind apart from the women's 1500, which is a very open race.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by djkbrown2001 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 7:36 pm

100m wide open. A slight mistake can decide the race that is why I:

I put £20.00 on justin Gatlin at 20/1 and a tenner on Tyson gay at 12/1.

Powell looking good at 50/1 - but i dont think he will win it.

djkbrown2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:54 am

djkbrown2001 wrote:

Powell hasn't got the mentality.

12/1 is a great price on Gay. Especially with the one strike and your out false start rule.

Might even lob a couple of quid on that myself

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:53 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
djkbrown2001 wrote:

Powell hasn't got the mentality.

12/1 is a great price on Gay. Especially with the one strike and your out false start rule.

Might even lob a couple of quid on that myself

I suppose if there's one person unlikely to false start, it'd be Tyson Gay. His trademark 'bad' start reduces the likelihod of him ever false-starting [ although there's always a chance ]. His trademark pick-up then brings him back into contention. He can afford to be deliberately safe with his response to the gun and yet win a medal. And I do epect him to pick one up [ possibly bronze - unless he actually get's a good start; in which case it would get very interesting indeed! ].

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Mon 30 Jul 2012, 8:27 pm

In an idle moment I figured out that taking 2012 pb's then on the mens side uk would beat jamaica in 17 out of 20 individual track and field events.

Perhaps the obvious solution, a combination of yams, 'wanting it more' and positive thinking could be applied to the seventeen non-sprinting events to help them get back on track?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:44 pm

picard

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down