The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whose Shirt Would You Buy?

+8
polished_man
bogbrush
lags72
Danny_1982
User 774433
barrystar
reckoner
hawkeye
12 posters

Go down

Who's shirt would YOU buy?

Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_lcap56%Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_rcap 56% 
[ 5 ]
Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_lcap11%Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_lcap0%Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_lcap11%Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_lcap22%Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 9

Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Empty Whose Shirt Would You Buy?

Post by hawkeye Mon 23 Jul 2012, 3:18 pm

Lets be honest here the real money in tennis isn't to be made by winning prize money. The real money is made by using top players to make us dip into our pockets and buy things. If the top players can do a good deal and make the best of their attributes they of course can get a share of this cash. It should be remembered however that the bulk of this money will go to those who sell us the stuff using their image (therefore it is not just the players themselves that have to promote and protect their image) With this in mind who are the top ranked players at selling in the ATP.

Federer is the clear number one. More than enough trophies (after 10 who counts?). High profile appearance. Lots of time on the big courts. Squeaky clean image. Speaks english well. Wife and cute twins. Wear one of his shirts and you too can feel successful, cultured and an upstanding member of society. Sponsors fall over themselves in an attempt to get their products linked with his name. Maybe he is the GOAT at selling?

Nadal is the only player able to compete with Federer in the art of selling but he remains some way behind in the ranking. More than enough trophies. High profile appearance. Lots of time on the big courts. Squeaky clean image. He is also quite cute (one up on the rest). Wear one of his shirts and you can feel successful and also perhaps look good... or even "hot" (cough). What holds Nadal back a little is his insistence on speaking Spanish and his lack of a wife and children. Who knows marriage and kids (ideally boy twins!) and Nadal could challenge Federer's GOAT status.

Murray. A strong third place despite lack of trophies. High profile appearance. Lots of time on the big courts especially Wimbledon. Squeaky clean image. Not only speaks english but is British. This is a huge advantage. Very visible girlfriend and high profile mum and brother. Wear one of Murray's shirts and feel empathy and supportive in his quest for a slam. What holds him back is his lack of a slam and his inability to always keep on message with his PR image.

Djokovic. Not quite enough trophies. High profile appearance. Lots of time on the big courts. Squeaky clean image. Speaks english well and is good friends with Murray who is British. He is also very media friendly and likes to make people laugh. Very visible girlfriend and family (although not sure if the visible family helps with his PR image) He even has a cute dog. Wear one of his shirts and you too can be a fun person. What holds him back is Federer, Nadal and Murray. Murray even stole his adidas shirts...

So the question is. Who's shirt would YOU buy?

I have decided to buy Djokovics. He deserves a little help for all his hard work.

Last edited by hawkeye on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Whose Shirt Would You Buy? Empty Re: Whose Shirt Would You Buy?

Post by reckoner Mon 23 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm

Buying Uniqlo is not the answer...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jul 2012, 3:26 pm

Fooking T-shirts???

Is this a wind up?

I don't believe for a split second that any self respecting poster on this forum walks around with a shirt with RF on the front of it or would even do it for a forefit on a bet!

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 23 Jul 2012, 3:37 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Fooking T-shirts???

Is this a wind up?

I don't believe for a split second that any self respecting poster on this forum walks around with a shirt with RF on the front of it or would even do it for a forefit on a bet!

You see quite a few of them at Wimbledon, particularly baseball caps. Big Fed fan though I am I've never been remotely tempted. I do think a t-shirt is marginally less weird than a baseball cap.

I think it's different from a football shirt, even one with a player's name stencilled on the back (I don't have one of those either), because there's more of a sense of detachment from the individual when supporting a player for your favourite team. Wearing individualised merchandise of a player who competes in an individual sport seems a bit odd to me - the concept of a 'fan' of a team or a country doesn't translate well to an individual in my view. However, it's evident that attitudes are changing and in 15 years time even 'regular' people may be wearing this sort of stuff.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 23 Jul 2012, 3:39 pm

legenkillarV2

Well somebody does! And not just the T shirt but everything else that is linked to top players through sponsorship. That is where the real money is made.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jul 2012, 3:40 pm

hawkeye wrote:legenkillarV2

Well somebody does! And not just the T shirt but everything else that is linked to top players through sponsorship. That is where the real money is made.

Have you got figures to support this?

Not that I am calling you a liar, just want to see just how much of their yearly revenue it makes.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 23 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
hawkeye wrote:legenkillarV2

Have you got figures to support this?

Not that I am calling you a liar, just want to see just how much of their yearly revenue it makes.

Thank you for not calling me a liar!

This is from a list of highest paid athletes in 2011 - 2012.

Federer is number 5 with total earnings of $52.7 million ($7.7 million winnings, $45 million endorsements)

Nadal is number 16 with total earnings of $33.2 million ($8.2 million winnings, $25 million endorsements)

http://www.therichest.org/sports/forbes-highest-paid-athletes/

Prize money is just chicken feed!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:05 pm

Well I mean prize money is just "chicken feed" to the top ranked players at selling. But to other players who are outside this elite group it forms the bulk of their earnings. Even players like Ferrer or Davydenko have to mainly rely on prize money for earnings. I always think of that when they get criticism for overplaying (Ferrer) or only playing for money (Davydenko).

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

What's that got to do with t-shirts?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

Majority of money comes from sponsors

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:10 pm

For adverts rather than t-shirts I would have thought.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 5:09 pm

I think Roger and Rafa are the two that are really bothered by their 'brand'. Maybe that's because they are with Nike and its something that Nike insist upon due to how much money they give them to wear their clothes.

I get the impression Djokovic is less concerned with his commercial appeal, and more troubled that he isn't bracketed with the top 2 in terms of tennis greatness. I think that's what he's chasing more than matching the commercial greatness Roger and Rafa have.

I think Murray cares even less. To get even close to the top 2 he would need to go on a media charm offensive, and I get the impression he detests the British media (which I don't blame him for after all the tosh they've made up about him) to the point that he will never get into bed with them to the level required. He just wants trophies. Frankly, I'm amazed he's in 3rd place!

I wouldn't buy anyone's shirt personally, but Rogers class and Rafa's iron will seperate them from the rest and always will in my opinion.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:12 pm

Danny_1982

Are you saying that Roger and Rafa are more bothered by making money? That's what you imply by saying they are more "bothered" by their brand. And that Djokovic is less concerned about making money and that Murray is the least concerned? Maybe I'm misinterpreting what your saying? But I don't think we have much evidence as to how motivated by cash any of them are. It would be difficult to refuse if offered though.

I agree about not buying a shirt (they would be the wrong shape for me anyway. Ha ha). Of course I was using the example of a shirt to stand for any product that is sold in this way. But it's interesting what you say about Rogers "class" and Rafa's "iron" as that is exactly the sort of thing that can sell a product if it can be somehow be attached in our minds with it. Those with the products to sell and the millions that they think it's worth spending in order to sell the products think so anyway. $45 million for a bit of "class" and $25 million for a bit of "iron"! That's just for one year.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:33 pm

No shortage, it would seem, of people ready to splash their cash on the Federer 'celebratory' shoes at (a bargain Wink ) $287 a pair

And no surprise to see that some of them have swiftly found their way to fleabay, where a very healthy profit awaits ......

http://tennis.si.com/2012/07/20/roger-federer-shoes-287-nike/

(they do look pretty cool, I have to say)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:24 pm

I meant they put more effort into maintaining a 'brandable' image. That's how it seems to me anyway. I find it really interesting that you take that in a negative context. I call it smart and ambitious. An entrepreneur is hailed when they earn more money than their competitors, yet it's a bad thing for a sportsman?

Anyway, I actually think its more to do with conditions of their association with Nike than anything else.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:42 pm

Danny_1982

It was you that used the word "bothered" that to me sounded negative so that's why I asked for clarification.

I disagree with how you see Djokovic as IMO he has a very "brandable image" and puts effort into maintaining it and he appears very smart and ambitious. He works hard for his sponsors, understands the media and is charismatic. If he wasn't a tennis player I can even see him working for the media. He's fought to put himself tennis wise right up there with Roger and Rafa. Unlike you I think he must be a little frustrated that his endorsement deals have been disappointing for a player with his achievements. I would guess it must have particularly hurt when Adidas dumped him for Murray.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:00 am

HE - I don't see being more 'bothered' about your brand as a negative in any way. But hopefully you now understand that I meant it in a positive way anyway.

Interesting you have that perspective on Novak. I see someone craving the respect given to Rafa and Roger, but not really their commercial appeal. however I think he puts more into it than Murray, who just refuses to even show a glimmer of himself to the media. The only time we've seen any emotion or personality from him is addressing the crowd after slam finals.

Given his refusal to play the game, I'm really surprised Murray is ahead of Novak commercially. I know Britain is a stronger market base than Serbia, but still... With his spurt of success over the last 18 months I thought he'd be miles ahead.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:36 am

I'd never wear a players name or whatever BUT I had to go to a sports themed do and you had to look like someone so I picked Feds Nike shirt and baggy pants, mainly because that's my look anyway (all hail Pete Sampras, the king of shorts). No headband though, that's just not happening.

Other than that, wearing stuff to look like someone is disturbing. Fat guys in footy shirts with players names being the worst examples.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 24 Jul 2012, 9:33 am

bogbrush

Next time you go to a "sports themed do" why not risk wearing the headband? I admit that carrying off the full headband look is not easy and definitely not for everyday wear but on such an occasion could look cool. Federer certainly makes it look so. (But maybe I'm just mesmerized by his carefully constructed image?). Of course only if you've got some hair to control. The James Blake look is not for everyone...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:19 am

Another very good article of yours Hawky!!

Nontheless, proactive and user friendly as ever, I have got some constructive criticism to give.

First of all: Feds outfits are elegant but too classic, I really dislike his shorts in particular that seems to have been quite rigidly ironed by his mum the evening before.

Nadal's look is quite simply awful, I rather buy a second hand shirt in portobello road, honest.

Murray isn't elegant at all and his outfit is usually so essential that I am sure my 12 yrs old niece could do better.

Djokovic is naturally elegant but his outfits are traditionally the most average.

I wish you had consider the Sharapova shirts in your polls, outstanding elegance, great class, lovely style, I have bought one, don't get me wrong it isn't for me. I borrow it when I play with somebody that reminds me of her...........

polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:20 am

bogbrush wrote:............................................... Fat guys in footy shirts with players names being the worst examples.

Indeed, that particular combo really is the ultimate in chavvy looks (only marginally behind lycra tracksuit bottoms)

No surprise perhaps that more & more well-run, quality pubs - let alone restaurants - are taking the decision to ban them.

The shirts, I mean. Not the fat guys.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:25 am

lags72 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:............................................... Fat guys in footy shirts with players names being the worst examples.

Indeed, that particular combo really is the ultimate in chavvy looks (only marginally behind lycra tracksuit bottoms)

No surprise perhaps that more & more well-run, quality pubs - let alone restaurants - are taking the decision to ban them.

The shirts, I mean. Not the fat guys.

I think they'll have to do that after the Oy-limpics though - the number of enormous tourists in athletic gear in London is about to go off the scale...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:29 am

Which shirts are we on about? Would it be the shirt Roger plays tennis? Or would it be the t-shirt he was seen practising in that had the large picture of himself on the front? #humble

I'd say the RF, purely because I love a polo neck. As for Nadal.... I hope it's not the early Nadal vest that he wore. Murray's "Ned Perry" tops were alright.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:36 am

hawkeye wrote: I would guess it must have particularly hurt when Adidas dumped him for Murray.
Not as much as it hurt Adidas!

Seriously though, even allowing for the fact that Britain is a bigger market than Serbia, they must be kicking themselves about that decision now.

(The relative size of the Serbian and British markets may not really matter either. I would think that Novak is the favourite of everyone in Serbia but a lot of people in Britain prefer other players to Andy)

I notice that Uniqlo didn't announce the size of the Djokovic deal. I wonder if this is because it is excessively large or embarassingly small?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 24 Jul 2012, 4:16 pm

I'd buy a Federer shirt he had worn or signed but never wear it, its too cheesy for me! Football shirts are a bit different, you are part of a club and wear it to show wear your loyalties lie, and continue to support them whoever plays for them. Tennis players come and go

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 24 Jul 2012, 4:46 pm

By the way, hawkeye, it should be "Whose" not "Who's".

"Who's" is an abbreviation of "Who is".

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 24 Jul 2012, 4:50 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Fooking T-shirts???

Is this a wind up?

You'd have to be either a child or pretty sad to do that. BTW - Hawkeye, have you got that Rafael Nadal bed sheets set you were on about?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 24 Jul 2012, 4:56 pm

hawkeye wrote:bogbrush

Next time you go to a "sports themed do" why not risk wearing the headband? I admit that carrying off the full headband look is not easy and definitely not for everyday wear but on such an occasion could look cool. Federer certainly makes it look so. (But maybe I'm just mesmerized by his carefully constructed image?). Of course only if you've got some hair to control. The James Blake look is not for everyone...
Still got it all, thanks!

I do agree Fed needs to get those shorts away from his Mum. Otherwise, it's a cool look. The shirt was very good to wear, especially if like me you have Fed- like shoulders. Cool
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down