The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch v Pavlik 3rd or 10th on November

+9
paperbag_puncher
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
manos de piedra
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
Union Cane
Imperial Ghosty
88Chris05
Soldier_Of_Fortune
13 posters

Go down

Froch v Pavlik 3rd or 10th on November Empty Froch v Pavlik 3rd or 10th on November

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:07 pm

Froch Has Nov. 3rd And Nov. 10th Dates “Pencilled In” - Wants To Fight Pavlik And “Shut Him Up!”

By James Slater - Reigning IBF super-middleweight king Carl Froch, who will face Lucian Bute in a rematch clause-ordered rematch next year, and may also face Mikkell Kessler in another mouth-watering return in 2013, will fight first in November. “The Cobra,” speaking with BBC Radio Nottingham, said two dates have been “pencilled in” for a voluntary defence to take place in his hometown: November 3rd and November 10th.

Right now, Froch and his team are looking at a suitable opponent, but if Froch gets his way it will likely be former middleweight king Kelly Pavlik. For some time now, “The Ghost,” unbeaten in his 168-pound campaign, has been expressing interest in fighting Froch, and Froch says he’s had enough of Pavlik’s talk..

“Pavlik has been calling me out , so I’d like to shut him up,” Froch said. “If we can get him over to Nottingham, that’s one the fans would want. He’s just one name, and there are a couple of other names that Eddie’s [Hearn] looking at. We’re looking at November 3rd, or November 10th

“It gives me an opportunity to fight again in Nottingham and to defend the IBF title. Then, in the new year, there’s the rematch with Bute and the rematch with Kessler.”

Froch added that a return fight with Kessler is “more appealing to him,” but that he will have to honour his rematch clause with Bute and will fight him over in Canada. But all that comes in 2013 - in the meantime we could have Froch Vs. Pavlik, and what a great fight that could be.

Like Froch, Pavlik, 40-2(34) overall and 4-0(2) as a super-middleweight, is never in a bad fight. Always exciting to watch, Pavlik seems to also have his hunger back after his well-publicised out of the ring problems. Taller than Froch (6’2” to Froch’s 6’1”) and having an identical reach at 75,” 30-year-old Pavlik would match up to Froch well. And style wise, how could this one not be a tough fight for both men? I’d be very surprised to see an early KO one way or the other (then again, who saw Froch taking out Bute as swiftly as he did?) and would instead expect a rough, tough battle of attrition.

Pavlik seems motivated for this fight, while Froch is in top form right now. Both men would have to be at their very best to have a good chance of winning, but Pavlik would be getting in the way of some big Froch plans if he were to score the upset in November. Let’s see if “The “Ghost” is unafraid of leaving the U.S and travelling to England to fight! I’m sure the leather will really fly if these two warriors square off.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=32817&more=1

Thoughts?

I think Pavlik has looked spent since his comeback, and the attributes he held at middleweight height, power, strength would all be neutralised against Froch. I see a close fight in the early stages for Froch to take over the mid rounds and via comfortable points decision / late stoppage.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Froch v Pavlik 3rd or 10th on November Empty Re: Froch v Pavlik 3rd or 10th on November

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:13 pm

Froch all day for me. Pavlik's lost some of that devil he had in his punches at the lower weight and I'm yet to be convinced that he's anything other than the proverbial flat track bully. If it's a war of attrition you'd have to fancy Froch, and if it's a boxing match per sé, then again Froch is in the driving seat. He has the better jab (just wish he'd use it more!) and is capable of measured boxing when he wants to be.

A good fight to watch with some exciting exchanges, but it's Froch's to lose. I think he takes a wide-ish decision. 117-111 or something along those lines.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Froch v Pavlik 3rd or 10th on November Empty Re: Froch v Pavlik 3rd or 10th on November

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

“Pavlik has been calling me out , so I’d like to shut him up,” Froch said.

Interesting. On Ringside the other week, Froch stated he had no idea a fight was being mooted and that he thought Pavlik was still in rehab. Of course Pavlik may be one hell of a Twitter warrior and given Carl a dog's abuse in the last few days...but no-one appears to have heard about it.

Hopkins effectively destroyed Pavlik in the way Calzaghe ended Lacy and Trinidad did for David Reid. Pavlik was always fairly one dimensional but he was tough and motivated. However, these days, Pavlik is a shadow of his former self and, if Froch has anything about him, he should be able to deal with Pavlik with ease.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:17 pm

Pavlik, bute rematch and Kessler isn't a bad set of fights to have lined, as ever isn't picking the easy fights except for possibly the bute fight which he's obliged to take.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Pavlik, bute rematch and Kessler isn't a bad set of fights to have lined.

So was Garcia, Malignaggi, Mayweather and we know what happened there.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

Think the BUTE fight is also an easy fight. Not many fighters come back from being so comprehensively battered to win the rematch. Those who do are most probably several rungs above Bute.

Froch goes into that fight knowing he beat Bute to a pulp...and Bute knows it too. I bed he still wakes up during the night in a cold sweat.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

Would love this fight to happen, followed by the Bute and Kessler rematches next year. Win all three and he has a better record than JC at SMW.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:27 pm

Respect Froch but just can't get excited about him......

Doesn't get the juices flowing like a Hamed or Hatton...

Expect him to win a comfortable decision.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:28 pm

Difference union is that froch doesn't look likely to get knocked out by anyone at his weight which makes planning for the future more viable.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:32 pm

Indeed Ghosty, and I would back Carl to win all three fights, but what has happened to Khan highlights the danger of looking past your next opponent. If the Pavlik fight is signed, concentrate on that and forget all about Bute & Kessler.

If Froch lost his belt to Pavlik would he still have to rematch Bute?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:37 pm

Ive watched Pavlik in his last couple of outings and he looks a bit faded. I dont whether that was just because the opposition was a step below and he was just going through the motions though. But he looks easy to hit and his movement and jab have deteriorated. Hard to see how he wins unless he has got more left in the tank than he is letting on. I actually think he would have been a good, if risky, opponent for DeGale or Groves also to put themselves on the map. Pavlik is still a name though, hes American and its a good, winnable fight for Froch to take even if he had to travel again to make it happen.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

Given that Bute will be in Canada and Kessler is now, apparently, saying a rematch will have to be in Denmark not England, Froch needs to have one last fight on UK soil.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:43 pm

Fighting pavlik gives him more exposure and with Dawson and ward now in the division he needs as much exposure as possible. At his age can't see many more fights for him. See your point union but froch always has future fights lined but his level doesn't drop too much.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:56 pm

Pavlik isn't what he used to be Froch should win pretty comfortably. When was Pavlik calling him out?

I watched the HBO broadcast of his last fight and he never called for anyone after that fight all he said was he wanted one of the top names in the division.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jul 2012, 1:58 pm

Froch has to say he's been called out to justify them trying to make the fight. Shame he contradicted himself with his comments less than a week ago.

Still, given the short memories people have and the press's ability to manipulate the truth, no doubt next week we'll be hearing how Pavlik has wanted this fight since before Froch was the British Champion and blah blah blah

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 18 Jul 2012, 2:02 pm

Pavlik has none of the attributes that would typically trouble Froch mainly speed and movement. But hes a name, has a decent chin and will come to fight. As far as voluntary defences go its not a bad fight.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

Why is Kessler not happening until after Bute now? They were talking about that fight in November.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 18 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

Froch UD for me, Pavlik can be mauled by a genuine SM with pop and a chin. Froch has both. HBO exposure for Froch too. The Bute return, which will prob be HBO fight too (personally I don't want him to fight Bute again, but, what the hell) then Kessler to finish.

Personally, I am worried that Kess fight doesn't happen. Time is a worry in the latter stages of a fighters career. Anything could happen to Kess in interim. Here's hoping.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 18 Jul 2012, 2:21 pm

Union, who did you cross to loose you Admin status Laugh ?

I do believe this has the makings to be a cracker of a fight. Pavlik will see this as a last chance saloon so I expect him to be prepared and ready for war.

I just think Froch will have too much for him.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 2:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Respect Froch but just can't get excited about him......

Doesn't get the juices flowing like a Hamed or Hatton...

Expect him to win a comfortable decision.

Do you not watch his fights??

The guy is in a tear up most of his fights.

See Kessler, Bute and Pascal for information!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 18 Jul 2012, 2:23 pm

I think a while ago on Ringside when Froch was on they showed a segment with Pavlik where Pavlik said he wanted the fight with Froch. Froch said something like "I didnt even know that guy was out of rehab yet". But obviously after that the two camps have starting looking at the fight as a possibility.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

Seen him in action.......

I've been very disappointed with Pavlik!! Couldn't believe he lost to Hopkins...

Thought he had more nous..than to be sucked in to Hoppo's fight!!!

Like a lot of other fighters over the years looked better than he was!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 18 Jul 2012, 2:53 pm

I actually feel about Pavlik what TRUSS feels about Froch. Never been sure what all the fuss was about in terms of excitement. Plodding, one two's. Excitng v Taylor but that's as much down to Taylor as anything, IMO

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 18 Jul 2012, 3:15 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:I actually feel about Pavlik what TRUSS feels about Froch. Never been sure what all the fuss was about in terms of excitement. Plodding, one two's. Excitng v Taylor but that's as much down to Taylor as anything, IMO

Your probably right. His eliminator fight against a good Edison Miranda was a cracking fight though. Thats the one that made me take notice and even pick him to win against Taylor.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 3:31 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Fighting pavlik gives him more exposure and with Dawson and ward now in the division he needs as much exposure as possible. At his age can't see many more fights for him. See your point union but froch always has future fights lined but his level doesn't drop too much.

Do you think Dawson will stay in the division the Ghosty? I guessed he was just dropping down for the big money Ward fight then, especially if he loses (which I think he will), he'll pop back up at LHW.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 18 Jul 2012, 3:34 pm

If he wins and I'm tipping Dawson to cause an upset think hell stay at super middleweight, he's stated for a long time he wanted to drop as soon as he beat Hopkins.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 18 Jul 2012, 3:36 pm

a fight against pavlik is what constitutes as a easy fight for froch, he should win but its still a world level match up. bute and kessler also lined up and i think karl could retire a happy and very proud man. modern great for england, i just hope he doesnt pick up another loss, as i think he could rival calzaghes record.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 3:51 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:a fight against pavlik is what constitutes as a easy fight for froch, he should win but its still a world level match up. bute and kessler also lined up and i think karl could retire a happy and very proud man. modern great for england, i just hope he doesnt pick up another loss, as i think he could rival calzaghes record.

Agreed. JC's exploits at LHW would still set him apart and place him higher on an all-time Brit list but at SMW I'd consider them to be equal, even an argument for Froch's record to be stronger (at SMW).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 18 Jul 2012, 5:19 pm

2 very similar fighters IMO but one is a middleweight whereas the other is a super middleweight. Pavlik is the same size as froch but isn't as sharp or hasn't hit as hard since he's moved up and it'll show in this fight

froch can take pavliks best shots so that takes away the biggest part of his game and pavlik is one of the only fighters who is slower than froch. Froch has struggle switch movers and faster fighters do should be able to boss pavlik easily enough

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 18 Jul 2012, 6:07 pm

Froch isn't slow by any means he just isn't super quick like Dirrell and Ward.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down