The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edge Retires

+27
greggschickenbake
theanimal316
Jammy31
JoshSansom
Miz NG
Cymru1991
more_awesome_than_a_ri
Sara
The Awesome Giz
Kay Fabe
ncfc_Tooze
David Tails
davidl1061
liverbnz
ADMIN
Perry Groves is my dad
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Adam D
The Dashing One
The-Rizz
Enforcer
Holymiky
bernard black
theundisputedY2D2
Marky
TopoftheChops
Bull
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Edge Retires Empty Edge Retires

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:06 am

Here is WWE's official statement on Edge retiring from WWE:

"Less than a week after his successful title defense against Alberto Del Rio at WrestleMania XXVII, World Heavyweight Champion Edge has been forced to retire from in-ring competition due to injury. The unexpected news brings to an end a storied WWE career spanning 13 years and consisting of 11 World Title reigns.

The Rated-R Superstar had been suffering numbness and uncontrollable trembling in his arms and hands. This is not the first time Edge has experienced these symptoms of nueropraxia. An MRI in Atlanta last Monday was sent to Dr. Joseph Maroon, a renowned neurosurgeon and professor of neurosurgery at The Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After careful examination of the MRI, it was determined that Edge would never be cleared to compete again, and thus, he is forced to retire.

In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death."

Back to top Go down

Edge Retires Empty Re: Edge Retires

Post by Bull Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

he did what was best for him by retiring i respect his choice it was the right thing to do ... he will be missed

remember the time he did a spear of the ladder ... good times

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

Legend of WWE, wish him luck in the future and definately future HOF candidate, where does this leave the title now?

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:15 am

priskinoursaviour wrote:Legend of WWE, wish him luck in the future and definately future HOF candidate, where does this leave the title now?

I'd say vacated title and Christian v Del Rio at Extreme Rules?

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:21 am

It's a shame he had to go out like this but it's obviously for the best. He'll definitely be missed and I hope he enjoys his retirement. He said in the past that he wanted a clean break from wrestling when he's done, so unfortunately I don't think we'll see him as a colour commentator or manager any time soon. He might get the itch to return in some capacity somewhere down the line though.

As for the World title, the logical thing to do is find a way to slot Christian into the Ladder match with Alberto Del Rio at Extreme Rules and make it a title match. I'd love it if they had a match for the vacant title on this week's Smackdown between Christian and ADR, with Christian winning after a helping hand from Edge, who could stop Brodus Clay from interefering. Smackdown going off the air with E & C celebrating together would be a real feel-good moment, somewhat reminiscent of Benoit & Guerrero at Wrestlemania 20 and a really good send-off for Edge.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:25 am

I haven't watched RAW yet but i will tonight.

Reading the news on the web it seems like he was given a mic and told he could go out and say goodbye however he wanted and that the roster were told they could break kayfabe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:27 am

Y2D2 - send off being a 5 second pose with Christian as champ

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:29 am

TheBrahmaBull wrote:Y2D2 - send off being a 5 second pose with Christian as champ

That'd be a really good way to go out Brahma. Jeez I hope someone from WWE is reading this! Smile

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by bernard black Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:36 am

I've always liked Edge but why does he get to retire, not only with a win, but defending the belt at 'Mania when everyone else has to lose and often be humiliated on their way out?

Del Rio would have received a massive rub if he'd been the one to retire Edge with the arm-breaker on the grandest stage of them all, and then there would have been the ready-made feud post-'Mania with Christian seeking revenge for his best friend.

I'm pleased Edge gets to bow out on top but just wondering what makes him special?

bernard black

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:38 am

His loyalty to the WWE and the amount of respect the fans have for him, me included.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:40 am

bernard black wrote:I've always liked Edge but why does he get to retire, not only with a win, but defending the belt at 'Mania when everyone else has to lose and often be humiliated on their way out?

Del Rio would have received a massive rub if he'd been the one to retire Edge with the arm-breaker on the grandest stage of them all, and then there would have been the ready-made feud post-'Mania with Christian seeking revenge for his best friend.

I'm pleased Edge gets to bow out on top but just wondering what makes him special?

Maybe when you've put your body on the line for 13 years and you have a choice to retire or potentially die in the ring you deserve to be able to make the choice and go out fairly.

It's not a work, he only found out after Mania that he would never be cleared to wrestle again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:44 am

I would have it as Christian v Del Rio at Extreme Rules, not on Smackdown, Del Rio wins the title he should have won at Wrestlemania, Del Rio defends against the likes of Christian, Kofi Kingston, Big Show and Kane before losing it to Wade Barrett in a 3/4way match.

I believe Del Rio would have won the title from Edge at Extreme Rules anyway, so why change it and have Christian win it?

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:45 am

If the doctors won't clear him to wrestle ever again, they wouldn't have cleared him at Mania if they knew of the condition at that time.

Sad news that someone so talented is forced to quit the business before they feel it is their time. I am glad that this condition was discovered before any further damage was caused to his body.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The-Rizz Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:51 am

Hi guys, this is my first post since transferring from the old 606, and I’m glad that my first post can be a tribute to Edge.

Very sad to hear that he has to retire, but I’m pleased the ‘E have given him the chance to bow out at the top, as champion, and on the back of a win at wrestlemania. Like others have already said he is surely one of the most deserving superstars for a place in the Hall of Fame.

Edge has always been one of my favourites. He is great as a face, and even better as a heel. He has provided so many great matches, and so many “wow” moments. My favourites being the TLC matches, and when he speared Mick Foley through a burning table.

Going forward I think it would be fitting if Christian wins the title at Extreme Rules, and as tribute to their tag team days (and their friendship), Edge presents him with the championship belt.

The-Rizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:55 am

yeah agree with you There Rizz and welcome to 606V2 mate thumbsup

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dashing One Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:04 am

Haven't watched RAW yet so i'm quite shocked at this!

Like a few people have already said - i'm pleased he went out on top. I have a feeling Christian will be pushed into the storey lines they had set up for Edge.

The Dashing One

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:12 am

I've been watching RAW and i must say that the Edge speech was brilliant. He deserved it entirely and they even included him hugging Dolph and Tyson Kid after it.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:12 am

he hugged Dolph ? did not see that one coming

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqTGFJOCYUk

retirement announcement from RAW

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:24 am

Yeah heels and faces were in the back clapping him all the way out basically and he hugged people and stuff and Dolph and Tyson were 2 of them but they are heels.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:40 am

Never seen this coming so soon after Mania but his condition must be serious enough to warrant it. He deseved to go out on top like he did. True legend would like to see him as a colour commentator or a general manager just to keep the man involved but don't think that will happen.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Groves is my dad Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:45 am

I think this kind of explains why he won at Mania then so that he could go out on a high.

Unfortunately i think that this injury will rule him out of a GM role with either Raw or Smackdown just in case the storyline involves the GM to take a bump after a disagreement with a wrestler.

I wish him all the best for whatever he does in the future

Perry Groves is my dad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:48 am

I don't think it has anything to do with 'Mania as he was only told 2 days ago he would never be medically cleared to wrestle again.

I don't think Vince would give someone a 'Mania win just 'incase' they would retire.

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:51 am

I disagree Beer, I think they knew it was coming sooner rather than later and knew he wouldn’t make next year’s Mania but hoped he’d pass the torch on at Extreme Rules.
Therefore they made the change to keep Christian face and not give ADR the title at Mania.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:57 am

I just don't think that ADR was ever supposed to win at 'Mania, i think Vince went off him and with the screwy Rock/Miz/Cena finish they needed a clean face win.

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:57 am

Marky wrote:I would have it as Christian v Del Rio at Extreme Rules, not on Smackdown, Del Rio wins the title he should have won at Wrestlemania, Del Rio defends against the likes of Christian, Kofi Kingston, Big Show and Kane before losing it to Wade Barrett in a 3/4way match.

I believe Del Rio would have won the title from Edge at Extreme Rules anyway, so why change it and have Christian win it?

Bizarre booking

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:13 am

It's saying on wwe.com that he's relinquishing the World Heavyweight title on Smackdown. I think they'll have a match there and then to crown a new champion, for some reason I can't see them leaving it till Extreme Rules. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Christian win it on Smackdown but then lose it to Del Rio in the ladder match at the pay per view.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:18 am

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:It's saying on wwe.com that he's relinquishing the World Heavyweight title on Smackdown. I think they'll have a match there and then to crown a new champion, for some reason I can't see them leaving it till Extreme Rules. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Christian win it on Smackdown but then lose it to Del Rio in the ladder match at the pay per view.

I think you are right - if they do it there and then, Christian will win it but lose at Extreme Rules. If they dont, it will be vacated until the PPV.

Whichever way it goes, its not looking good for Christian as I cant imagine that once ADR has it, that he will lose it quickly. Which means that Christian isnt going to get it other than possibly a few weeks until ER.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:45 am

Just watched the video Hobo posted, I still get chills when I hear his music hit. He hasnt been the same in the last year but will be a big miss on Smackdown I think

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:49 am

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:It's saying on wwe.com that he's relinquishing the World Heavyweight title on Smackdown. I think they'll have a match there and then to crown a new champion, for some reason I can't see them leaving it till Extreme Rules. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Christian win it on Smackdown but then lose it to Del Rio in the ladder match at the pay per view.

Which would be terrible in my opinion. I've been pushing for a Christian win for a while now...but do we really want it to be a cheap token gesture? I'd rather they leave it vacanct for ADR to win it and then have him feud with others for a while before letting Christian come back and have another shot and win it that way.

Also I'm not so sure they would have known just how serious it was prior to Mania. Would they really have booked him in to a Ladder match at ER had they known this was going to happen?

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:50 am

Its for the best really if he is as bad as they are saying.

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:51 am

David Tails wrote:

Which would be terrible in my opinion. I've been pushing for a Christian win for a while now...but do we really want it to be a cheap token gesture? I'd rather they leave it vacanct for ADR to win it and then have him feud with others for a while before letting Christian come back and have another shot and win it that way.

Also I'm not so sure they would have known just how serious it was prior to Mania. Would they really have booked him in to a Ladder match at ER had they known this was going to happen?

There are a lot of people who wan't a Christian win but unfortunately he may not win and if he does, Y2 is right, he won't have the title for long.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:52 am

It would make no sense to have christian win it on smackdown then lose it in a couple of weeks after. prehaps a tournement with the final taking place with the winner facing del rio at extreme rules in the already advertised Ladder Match Though

Last edited by ncfc_Tooze on Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:52 am

Bernard Black, if Edge or the WWE knew he was going to have to retire then I'm sure they would have worked an angle that would have fit with it, he didnt take the MRI until the day after Mania though so doubt anyone knew, i'm guessing edge expected to take 6 months or so off after Extreme Rules

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:53 am

Holymiky wrote:There are a lot of people who wan't a Christian win but unfortunately he may not win and if he does, Y2 is right, he won't have the title for long.

Which is precisely why I would prefer for them to wait and not give a cheap title win to him.

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:54 am

David Tails wrote:
Holymiky wrote:There are a lot of people who wan't a Christian win but unfortunately he may not win and if he does, Y2 is right, he won't have the title for long.

Which is precisely why I would prefer for them to wait and not give a cheap title win to him.

Exactly but it is unlikely it will happen.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by The Awesome Giz Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:55 am

Gutting news, one the best complete division wrestlers.

One of the few who was properly built up and earned his main event status through hard work over the years, great as heel or face. Heel more so.

Edge the new GM?

Big possiblity, seeing as he still can do screen time, I wonder if he will become a ambassador like HBK and SCSA are.
He doesn't strike me as a guy to walk off to TNA, or anything.

The Awesome Giz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:03 pm

The Awesome Giz wrote:Gutting news, one the best complete division wrestlers.

One of the few who was properly built up and earned his main event status through hard work over the years, great as heel or face. Heel more so.

Edge the new GM?

Big possiblity, seeing as he still can do screen time, I wonder if he will become a ambassador like HBK and SCSA are.
He doesn't strike me as a guy to walk off to TNA, or anything.

Edge always said if he left he would leave for good. I expect he may return once in a while but i don't expect him to stay in any major capacity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:07 pm

I dont see how edge could be the RAW GM as he would have been feuding with himself and then drafted himself to the other show. It makes no sense whatsoever.

BY GAWD!

Edge is the RAW GM!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm

Hobo wrote:I dont see how edge could be the RAW GM as he would have been feuding with himself and then drafted himself to the other show. It makes no sense whatsoever.

BY GAWD!

Edge is the RAW GM!

Feuding with himself because he knew no one would come out to accept the challenge.

Drafeted himself to the other show where he then won the title. Thus controlling both titles...

Stranger things have happened.

I doubt it though. I think this is a legitimate "I'm gone". I don't see him being a Flair or Hogan and not being able to walk away from it.

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

Yeah this is defo legit, I don't think we'll see Edge in any kind of full-time capacity again i.e. as a general manager or colour commentator. I read an interview with him from last year and he said when the time comes he wants to walk away from wrestling completely. Maybe the fact that the decision has been taken out of his hands will change his opinion though.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Awesome Giz Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:23 pm

Edge strikes me as the kinda guy, who wouldn't go lieing about this kinda stuff. From interviews he seems a genuine guy.

Ok the lita fiasco let him down, but he managed to carry it and turned it into great heat for his prime as a heel. Inlcuding la familia where he could carry out funny or comical situations and still generate more heat.

Also for the past year he has been repeatedly called a future hall of famer, which generally hints that retirement is soon. They did it with HBK, Flair, and recently Taker and HHH.

Greatley missed though, a big hole to fill in the main event picture.

The Awesome Giz

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:25 pm

The one downside to last night was he fluffed the "benefit of those with flash photography line"

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:25 pm

This is such a shame, I am shocked at this news today. Edge has been an absolutely fantastic wrestler and I am going to miss him. It such a shame for him that he has to go out this way.

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by more_awesome_than_a_ri Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:43 pm

Absolutely gutted but what better way to go out then retaining the title at Mania!!

The spear he delivered to a dangling jeff hardy and the Attitude Adjustment he took off a ladder through 2 tables are a few stand out memories. His Rumble return last year i think was another mark out moment also.

Gutted we won't hear his entrance tune again either, will have to download that tonight!!

more_awesome_than_a_ri

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 1:19 pm

Nice touch by John Cena....

http://vids.wwe.com/11743/wwecom-exclusive-john-cena-expre

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymru1991 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 1:24 pm

Such a shame, but hey I'd rather see him retire than end up in a wheelchair...

Cymru1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 1:25 pm

Anyone got a vid of Edge walking out and seeing the others wrestlers?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 1:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD2St-oMY0U

TATSU! GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY TATSU!!! 12.21!!!! BAH GAWD!

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz NG Tue 12 Apr 2011, 1:37 pm

Sad to hear of Edge's retirement, I'll watch his speech tonight.

Better to be going out as champion, than in a wheelchair.

Miz NG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next