The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread

+21
nganboy
eirebilly
ryan86
Hibbz
owen10ozzy
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Crimey
alfie
ian_jamsie
gboycottnut
EnglishReign
dyrewolfe
John Cregan
Thomond
mystiroakey
djlovesyou
teassoc
Jennifer1984
Shelsey93
Dave.
Duty281
25 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 5 Empty The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Jul 2012, 5:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18787235

Yes we can! 14 medals in Cycling, 14 medals in Athletics, 10 medals in Swimming, 8 medals in Boxing, 7 medals in Rowing, 7 medals in Sailing are the main ones. London 2012, Jubilee Year, time for team GB to prove we're the greatest sporting nation on God's Green Earth. Here is the prediction breakdown compared to the UK Sport target:

ARCHERY: two medals (two bronze - UK Sport target: 0-1 medals)

ATHLETICS: 14 medals (three gold, two silver, nine bronze - UK Sport: 5-8 medals)

BADMINTON: one medal (bronze - UK Sport: 0-1 medals)

BASKETBALL: one medal (bronze - UK Sport: no medals)

BOXING: eight medals (three gold, three silver, two bronze - UK Sport: 3-5 medals)

CANOEING: four medals (one gold, two silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 3-4 medals)

CYCLING: 14 medals (six gold, three silver, five bronze - UK Sport: 6-10 medals)

EQUESTRIAN: six medals (two gold, one silver, three bronze - UK Sport: 3-4 medals)

FENCING: one medal (bronze - UK Sport: 0-1 medals)

FOOTBALL: one medal (bronze - UK Sport: no target as unfunded)

GYMNASTICS: four medals (one gold, one silver, two bronze - UK Sport: 1-2 medals)

HOCKEY: two medals (one gold, one bronze - UK Sport: 1-2 medals)

JUDO: two medals (two bronze - UK Sport: 0-1 medals)

MODERN PENTATHLON: two medals (one silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 1-2 medals)

ROWING: seven medals (two gold, three silver, two bronze - UK Sport: 6 medals)

SAILING: seven medals (two gold, three silver, two bronze - UK Sport: 3-5 medals)

SHOOTING: one medal (one silver - UK Sport: 0-1 medals)

SWIMMING: 10 medals (four gold, two silver, four bronze - UK Sport: 5-7 medals)

TAEKWONDO: three medals (one gold, one silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 1-3 medals)

TENNIS: two medals (one silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 0-2 medals)

TRIATHLON: three medals (one gold, one silver, one bronze - UK Sport: 1-2 medals)

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 5 Uk

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 5 Chris+Hoy_1944_19247589_0_0_7019282_300

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 5 _60519020_jess_ennis_getty624b

Yes we can!

Last edited by Duty281 on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread

Post by andyi Sun 12 Aug 2012, 1:41 pm

teassoc wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Athletics has already made its minimum target, and Mo Farah has a reasonable chance of a medal and the womens spriters a chance of bronze. Thats despite the favourite for the womens marathon having to pull out and Greene and Idowou coming in injured. 3 of the 5 medals so far have been golds too, I cant remember the last time Britain got 3 atheltics golds...they only had 1 in Sydney.
Its only the pool sports that have failed to deliver.

So they end with 4 Golds, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze. Outstanding results by some but lots of disappointments from others.

They fail to meet the funding target of 8 medals agreed with UK Sport. However they have a number of very talented juniors coming through to soften that blow, so their funding might not be cut.

Athletics and Swimming have not lived up to expectations, whereas almost all other sports have.

Will they get 30 plus Golds? Should now be safe from Russia pipping them at the end. Well behind them on total medals though.

Overall a Games that must have been hard to imagine several weeks ago. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The target set by UK sport was 5 to 8 medals so they have met their target and lived up to expectations.

andyi

Back to top Go down

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread

Post by teassoc Sun 12 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

andyi wrote:
teassoc wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Athletics has already made its minimum target, and Mo Farah has a reasonable chance of a medal and the womens spriters a chance of bronze. Thats despite the favourite for the womens marathon having to pull out and Greene and Idowou coming in injured. 3 of the 5 medals so far have been golds too, I cant remember the last time Britain got 3 atheltics golds...they only had 1 in Sydney.
Its only the pool sports that have failed to deliver.

So they end with 4 Golds, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze. Outstanding results by some but lots of disappointments from others.

They fail to meet the funding target of 8 medals agreed with UK Sport. However they have a number of very talented juniors coming through to soften that blow, so their funding might not be cut.

Athletics and Swimming have not lived up to expectations, whereas almost all other sports have.

Will they get 30 plus Golds? Should now be safe from Russia pipping them at the end. Well behind them on total medals though.

Overall a Games that must have been hard to imagine several weeks ago. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The target set by UK sport was 5 to 8 medals so they have met their target and lived up to expectations.

Technically correct but I don't think too many people will think they lived up to expectations. Did you?

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Sun 12 Aug 2012, 3:06 pm

IMO Some did and some didn't and some exceeded them.

However:

As a team they met the window of expectations set for them by UK sport, neither exceeding or falling short of it.

And that's factually correct Very Happy

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 12 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

29 Golds now!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 12 Aug 2012, 5:52 pm

I believe there is a British hope in the women's modern pentathlon, Irish lass 11th but she is only a young wan. I think it is a bit of a ridiculous event to be honest, just a load of random events thrown together, but can appreciate the skill and effort it takes

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:06 pm

Thomond, historicaly its a test of cavalry skills...but yes now it just seems to be a load of random things ...like the biathlon, traithlon, decathlon etc
I believe Atholon is classical greek for "not quite as daft as speed walking".
British lass has dropped back quite a bit already

Ooh shes back up to third

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:11 pm

woo up to second after another good shoot

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm

65 and out, what an Olympics for Team GB!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:16 pm

Great ending to the games, finished just ahead of Brazil, US and China to take the last silver.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:24 pm

Here's the final table:

The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 5 Medals11

So 5 sports exceeded their targets and only 1 failed to meet them.

Medals in 17 different sports.
A net gain of 7 medals over target.
83% of the target window achieved.
93% of the maximum total target.

WELL DONE TEAM GB!!!!!!!!!!

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:30 pm

Always knew we'd do well. But this good? Wow, just wow.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 12 Aug 2012, 7:13 pm

Yeah those medal targets looked very ambitious a couple of years ago but it does show the way they were set was spot on, and that for the most part the coaching teams have used the resources they were given.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sun 12 Aug 2012, 7:29 pm

andyi wrote:IMO Some did and some didn't and some exceeded them.

However:

As a team they met the window of expectations set for them by UK sport, neither exceeding or falling short of it.

And that's factually correct Very Happy

Using your classifications I came up with the following rough guide:

Men
Above Expectation 9
At Expectation 8
Below Expectation 21

Women
Above Expectation 7
At Expectation 9
Below Expectation 16

I didn't score a couple who were injured on the day (3). I counted Mo in twice in above expectation even though he was the favorite in both events, so I've tended to be a bit generous at times. In things like the men's 3000 steeplechase I didn't expect a strong performance, but the actual performance was not that good even by the athlete's own standard.

So in my view over 50% underperformed.

It will be interesting to see if CVC stays. Although they didn't meet his target I hope he does stay.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 12 Aug 2012, 8:23 pm

You were off by 30 medals Duty! I think you should be severely punished as a result Wink Seriously though, you lot have seen me cheer for GB and cheer against them (only Murray and Campbell, one as he was fighting an Irish guy so that's understandable!) I'm incredibly happy for GB, a superb bunch of athletes and you lot are even half decent as people (note: I said half Whistle )
An superb performance at your home games and it will hopefully leave a legacy for the people of Britain and England. In certain sports which are minority, there are top class arena for teams to play in and that is truly a marvelous thing.

A great games lads proud of GB and you have a lot to be proud of from performances, conduct at the games and the legacy which follows. clap

Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 13 Aug 2012, 12:48 am

As another Irishman i'll second Thomonds comments........really great games........... The Official *Team GB to 95 Medals* Thread - Page 5 1710857839

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5