The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Khan had stayed with Warren??

+6
BALTIMORA
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
manos de piedra
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
10 posters

Go down

If Khan had stayed with Warren?? Empty If Khan had stayed with Warren??

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Ok a little hypothetical

Khan hs gone to the states in the last couple of years as we know and gained some exposure which is great for him. Howver has this had a impact on hw he has handled his home affairs.

sky dumping him in part because of poor undercard. NOw had old goggle eyes Warren beenhis promoter the undercard would of been stacked in my opinion.

Losing sky is huge for Khan,he after all is the biggest ppv draw we have in the sport. So, should Khan of dropped Warren? Should he of negotiated another contract with him on terms that elft the gate open at home for Warren. To be hoenst no one in Briatain comes close to putting together a card like old Fr eyes at home.

Did Khan make a mistake?

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

If Khan had stayed with Warren?? Empty Re: If Khan had stayed with Warren??

Post by Rowley Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Sean would have to say Haye is the biggest PPV star, he has proven he can carry a PPV against second tier opposition (Audley, Ruiz) this weekends farce demonstrates Khan cannot

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:23 pm

fair one rowley,

but kkhan was obviously up there until now

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Domestically Haye is probably bigger but worldwide I think Khan is the bigger draw.

I dont think Khan made a mistake leaving Warren. Hes done pretty well sice then and has made a name for himself in the States which is unlikely to have happened under Warren.

Im not sure exactly how much Khan needs Sky. This was ment to be a nothing fight dressed up as a kind of present to domestic fans when I think his future is pretty much in the States with the likes of HBO.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Although I think khan is now in a better posiion as far as potential opponents goes, I do think he could have stayed with frank. Khan has become a semi-star in America(Imo he's still not a full star). Warren knows how to get home fighter popular in Britain. Many people don't like khan an his fanbase isn't as big as you think it would be. Under frank, he could have become the most popular fighter in Britain. He would have probably been up against kell brook and/or Kevin mithell as both bouts where planned which would have really been good for him domestically. The kell brook fight could pan way for a trilogy.

He would be a front runner with sky an would be in a really good position for future financial earning. It's hard to know if khan could get a fight with Bradley under Warren. Money wise, goldenboy is the better option but as in legacy or public image I think he should have stayed with Warren, but we all know khan likes the money.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:06 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Although I think khan is now in a better posiion as far as potential opponents goes, I do think he could have stayed with frank. Khan has become a semi-star in America(Imo he's still not a full star). Warren knows how to get home fighter popular in Britain. Many people don't like khan an his fanbase isn't as big as you think it would be. Under frank, he could have become the most popular fighter in Britain. He would have probably been up against kell brook and/or Kevin mithell as both bouts where planned which would have really been good for him domestically. The kell brook fight could pan way for a trilogy.

He would be a front runner with sky an would be in a really good position for future financial earning. It's hard to know if khan could get a fight with Bradley under Warren. Money wise, goldenboy is the better option but as in legacy or public image I think he should have stayed with Warren, but we all know khan likes the money.

Under Frank, Khan was immensely unpopular. Far moreso than he is now. People were delighted when he got blasted out by Prescott. Frank also had him fighting on poor value ppv cards.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:12 pm

IMO he shouldn't have left Warren and he does need Sky. He could have been the main man in Warrens very impressive stable. A British box office is massive for British fighters getting big fights because their is only 2 or 3 fighters in this country who are box office. Look at the difference between the fights Hatton who had the box office could get and Joe Calzaghe who wasn't box office could attract in their primes.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:02 pm

British box office is pretty small fry compared to U.S box office. Hatton was big because he went stateside earlier, left Warren and went after the big fights. Calzaghe stayed with Warren, stayed in Britain and only left for the U.S at the very end.

Isnt staying too long with Warren what people are always criticising Calzaghe for?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:18 pm

manos de piedra wrote:British box office is pretty small fry compared to U.S box office. Hatton was big because he went stateside earlier, left Warren and went after the big fights. Calzaghe stayed with Warren, stayed in Britain and only left for the U.S at the very end.

Isnt staying too long with Warren what people are always criticising Calzaghe for?

True but the UK is not peanuts and the money Khan loses in htis fight from no sky ppv he does not get from the states,when he fights in the states obviously that is a diff matter,but when fighting at home British PPV matters

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:British box office is pretty small fry compared to U.S box office. Hatton was big because he went stateside earlier, left Warren and went after the big fights. Calzaghe stayed with Warren, stayed in Britain and only left for the U.S at the very end.

True but the UK is not peanuts and the money Khan loses in htis fight from no sky ppv he does not get from the states,when he fights in the states obviously that is a diff matter,but when fighting at home British PPV matters

Yeah absolutely but assuming he does fall out with sky then I dont think he will back fighting here after McCloskey and will just focus on his career in the U.S (which is what he was doing anyway really - this fight was fairly weak).

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:36 pm

He's done alright for himself since leaving fish-eyes, he has a world title, with a unification in the pipeline, should his next fight go well. All goggle-chops would have done is have Khan fight bums in the UK. He'd have made good money, and been a darling with his home crowd, I don't doubt, but that's about all. It doesn't help Khan's situation now though that Warren writes in one of the red-tops (the Sun I think), and slates every non-Warren fighter at every given opportunity.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

The British box office matters at this stage in his career because he isn't going to pull massive figures in America. Could always be used as a bargaining tool when negotiating big fights.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 pm

America had alot more top boxers when hatton and calzaghe ruled. Atm, Britain is becoming better with boxing. The British scen is looking up and there seems to be a rejuvination in British boxing. It's not about the money, it's about how the fans think of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:00 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:America had alot more top boxers when hatton and calzaghe ruled. Atm, Britain is becoming better with boxing. The British scen is looking up and there seems to be a rejuvination in British boxing. It's not about the money, it's about how the fans think of him.

It's about money to him though mate.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Khan is a decent draw in America at the moment and still is in Britain too. His next fight in the States, especially if against Bradley would really put him up there.

I think hes better off where he is now with Golden Boy managing him in the States than if he was with Frank in Britain.

Theres just way more opportunities and exposure in the U.S. It took the likes of Hatton and Calzaghe a decade to get where Khan is now over in America.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:15 am

Personally I think he slightly regrets taking on McCloskey now as I don't really feel he needed to, you can't really throw a curve ball at him saying that he ducked McCloskey because I haven't met a guy who actually reckons he can survive the 12 with him! I reckon he feels a little annoyed that he didn't just go down the American route and take on Judah, then even if Sky didn't put it on PPV he would have been happy with the PPV numbers he would have got in America and wouldn't have really felt he needed that. This is me saying this because generally speaking fights that happen in America and start at like 2Am aren't a big hit over here, we hardly get any PPV hits. Take Hatton Versus Mayweather, it hit nearly 1.5 Million PPV Hits in America, only a measly 50,000 over here. Stats don't lie...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Well something nobody seems to have mentioned is that Khan's recent improvements have been credited to Roach, Roach wouldn't be with him if still based in the UK (or at least not to the extent he is).

So he would have probably been beaten as soon as he stepped up to a puncher if he stayed with Frank. Obviously Frank would have avoided this as long as possible but eventually he'd have been KO'd and Frank would have been gone.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:01 pm

huw wrote:Well something nobody seems to have mentioned is that Khan's recent improvements have been credited to Roach, Roach wouldn't be with him if still based in the UK (or at least not to the extent he is).

So he would have probably been beaten as soon as he stepped up to a puncher if he stayed with Frank. Obviously Frank would have avoided this as long as possible but eventually he'd have been KO'd and Frank would have been gone.

I could swear it was frank that hired Freddie after khan lost to Prescott.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:53 pm

The fact is, he has never pulled big PPV figures here either.

Because he was fighting bums up until Prescott (who was a class B Bum) people got fed up and they wanted to see him sparked, and after the Limond / Gomez knockdowns, it was only a matter of time.

So low and behold, the British public finally got their chicken dance featuring the rubber body move on the first PPV show he was on.

Khan isn't box office in the UK just yet, his record doesn't warrant it.

He was guided to the world title by the easiest possible route at the time, and at this time he was claiming to have the beating of Marquez, Manny etc THEN comes on Setanta and says that Kotelnik is the weakest World Champ, fast forward a few months and he is saying how much of a challange its gonna be! Ooops.

But lets not kid ourselves here, Khan doesn't need Sky, I'll be shocked if Khan ever fights in the UK again after Saturday night.

With Khan in big demand stateside, the networks like HBO, Showtime etc will roll the dollars in for Khan and his snake of a dad.

Sky can just carry on doing what they have been doing and what they have been doing is just fine. Plenty of big names to see at the minute on Sky.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:54 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
huw wrote:Well something nobody seems to have mentioned is that Khan's recent improvements have been credited to Roach, Roach wouldn't be with him if still based in the UK (or at least not to the extent he is).

I could swear it was frank that hired Freddie after khan lost to Prescott.

It was but Khan would have to be States based or Roach UK based for this to work. This was why I made the comments in brackets above.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:58 pm

rowley wrote:Sean would have to say Haye is the biggest PPV star, he has proven he can carry a PPV against second tier opposition (Audley, Ruiz) this weekends farce demonstrates Khan cannot

maybe per event- but he has 2 fights max left at most where as khan has (hopefully) has many many more fights in him

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:30 am

eddyfightfan wrote:
rowley wrote:Sean would have to say Haye is the biggest PPV star, he has proven he can carry a PPV against second tier opposition (Audley, Ruiz) this weekends farce demonstrates Khan cannot

maybe per event- but he has 2 fights max left at most where as khan has (hopefully) has many many more fights in him

Sky also have Cleverly, DeGold and Gavin who Warren will put on packed cards like he has done before to make them box office. When the super six finishes at the end of the year Sky are interested in Froch who will have some big fights and is box office. Khan needs Sky more than Sky need Khan. Primetime don't have the money to promote the fight. Primetime don't put on their own shows you get american coverage and commentators, so no one knows how good the standard of broadcasting will be.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down