The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool FC Thread

+45
Stella
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
monty junior
Ent
kemet
Corporalhumblebucket
TRUSSMAN66
Josiah Maiestas
dublin_dave
Lumbering_Jack
JamesLincs
kwinigolfer
NedB-H
The Special Juan
Duty281
Gregers
Beer
Kay Fabe
drsambo1928
TopHat24/7
Gordy
mckay1402
compelling and rich
lfc91
Mat
theundisputedY2D2
Lee
hampo17
Liam
nasisillmatic
MetalMotty
mystiroakey
ncfc_Tooze
Small Time
liverbnz
mobilemaster8
LivinginItaly
Kenny
Soldier_Of_Fortune
marty2086
lorus59
GG
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Crimey
49 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Liverpool FC Thread Empty Liverpool FC Thread

Post by Crimey Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:10 pm

Liverpool FC

Liverpool FC Thread Liverpool

Transfers in:

Fabio Borini (£11 million)
Joe Allen (£15 million)
Joe Cole (return from loan)
Oussama Assaidi (£2.4 million)
Nuri Sahin (on loan)
Samed Yesil (£1 million)

Transfers out:

Dirk Kuyt (£1 million)
Maxi Rodriguez (Free)
Fabio Aurelio (Free)
Alberto Aquilani (£7 million)
Craig Bellamy (Free)
Andy Carroll (loan)
Jay Spearing (loan)
Charlie Adam (£4 million)

Last edited by Crimey on Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm; edited 6 times in total

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Liverpool FC Thread Empty Re: Liverpool FC Thread

Post by GSC Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:14 pm

Theres no pace anywhere really, and Carroll isn't really good enough to the main striker for a team aiming at the top 5-6. Borini/Suarez through the middle is more likely and Carroll benched.

Can't see Hoilett, more attractive places than Anfield coming in for him I'd imagine. Moses really isn't that great

Overall its not a bad squad, it just isn't very good either.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Theres no pace anywhere really, and Carroll isn't really good enough to the main striker for a team aiming at the top 5-6. Borini/Suarez through the middle is more likely and Carroll benched.

Can't see Hoilett, more attractive places than Anfield coming in for him I'd imagine. Moses really isn't that great

Overall its not a bad squad, it just isn't very good either.

I think pace is a problem as well, but hopefully if we do keep possession, pace is less of a problem as we're not having to attack on the break.

I think Carroll is good when he leads the line, I know he has a lot of doubters, but I think Liverpool need to put faith in him. When he's benched and comes on he looks poor. I want to see him lead the line and play the way he is certainly capable of. I don't think I'm going to be able to convince you to rate him on here, just have to hope he backs up my faith on the pitch. The reason I can't see Suarez playing through the middle is because of the lack of wingers, with only Downing and Cole in back up, with Cole not actually wanting to play on the wing. Maxi is possibly gone and Kuyt have already gone, so back up is very sparse there.

Apparently the teams closest to getting Hoillet at the moment are Borussia Mönchengladbach (who I thought had already got him), Sunderland and Fulham. So apparently not, that's why I want to see Liverpool try and snap him up. I think Moses is underrated, not many players can look good playing for Wigan. Liverpool aren't going to be able to attract players from big clubs any more, so looking at clubs in the Premier League for players is a good option I feel. He's also in the last year of his contract so could be a good purchase.

I agree with your assessment. I'm not convinced we'll be competing for top four, but as long as we can improve on last year and turn good performances into good results I'll be happy.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:30 pm

Rogers like his pacey tricky wingers though, hence Sinclair, Dyer and Routledge.

I actually rate Carroll, thought Liverpool played the wrong kind of service to him last year. Ultimately hes a confidence player and right now he's running on empty.

Bellamy at this point is a 20-30 minute burst I think. Legs are on the verge of going.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:37 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Rogers like his pacey tricky wingers though, hence Sinclair, Dyer and Routledge.

I actually rate Carroll, thought Liverpool played the wrong kind of service to him last year. Ultimately hes a confidence player and right now he's running on empty.

Bellamy at this point is a 20-30 minute burst I think. Legs are on the verge of going.

I know, but we don't have any pacey, tricky wingers at the moment. So either he's going to have to dip his hands into the transfer market or adjust his style slightly.

Really? I think he's got a lot of confidence at the moment. The last couple of months of the season and playing for England he looked unplayable at times. I think he's got a lot of confidence at the moment...if he is to be believed he has stopped drinking as much and seems to have gotten himself fit. I think he's settled down into Liverpool after struggling to leave Newcastle. I genuinely believe he can turn it around this year.

I would have thought the same, but last year Bellamy played a lot more than I expected and his legs seemed fine. He won't be able to play several times in a week, so we might have to decide whether to use him in Europe or Premier League but I think he can cope with a game a week.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:41 pm

Well ok, maybe not right now >_>, but for most of the season

At Newcastle I believe he had to stay at Barton's house Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:42 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Well ok, maybe not right now >_>, but for most of the season

It was Nolan's as he was captain at the time. At Liverpool he got to go to Boyzone concerts with Kenny. Wink

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:57 pm

Crimey wrote:
Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Well ok, maybe not right now >_>, but for most of the season

It was Nolan's as he was captain at the time. At Liverpool he got to go to Boyzone concerts with Kenny. Wink

This may have been the catalyst for Kenny's sacking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:42 pm

What constitutes success for us this season Crimey. For me I'd say a top six finish with a much better home record and a better goals tally?

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:58 pm

FreekShow wrote:What constitutes success for us this season Crimey. For me I'd say a top six finish with a much better home record and a better goals tally?

Yeah about the same for me really.

I'm hoping FSG don't put top 4 as the minimum finish as I don't think we can get it.

Mainly I just want to see us turn those good performances into good results, draws into wins.

I think the season will probably end:

1. Manchester City
2. Manchester United
3. Chelsea
4. Tottenham
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool

As long as we're not far behind I'd be content with that. I'd like to see us have some more good cup runs, in Europe and domestic. I think they do help with confidence for both players and fans. Winning things is always good.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:08 pm

I do hope he takes the Europa League seriously.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm

FreekShow wrote:I do hope he takes the Europa League seriously.

Same. The only issue is that I'm not sure whether our squad is strong enough to challenge on so many fronts.

Especially with a lot of players with very little European experience like Downing, Carroll, Adam, Kelly, Henderson etc.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:18 pm

So Norwich to finish above Liverpool next season then Whistle

Seriously next season I think Liverpool will finish 6th or 7th
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:39 pm

Olly wrote:So Norwich to finish above Liverpool next season then Whistle

If you turn the table upside down it's a shoe in Olly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:41 pm

FreekShow wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh

That's the only way we will ever finish top of the table Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm

Olly wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh

No you won't finish bottom Olly. Have faith, you'll finish 19th!!! Top lad. thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:45 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Olly wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh

No you won't finish bottom Olly. Have faith, you'll finish 19th!!! Top lad. thumbsup

Hey I will be happy with anything above 18th Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:56 pm

Only ribbing ya Olly, you'll be okay this season.

Back to the topic. It's a sad state of affairs when us Liverpool fans are looking towards a sixth placed finish as an improvement. Where did it all go wrong?

I hope Rogers adapts his philosophies a little because I'd hate for us to play the way Swansea did last season in regards to them being 1/2/3 nil down and still fart arsing about with the ball when more urgency is called for.

Time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:58 pm

FreekShow wrote:Only ribbing ya Olly, you'll be okay this season.

Back to the topic. It's a sad state of affairs when us Liverpool fans are looking towards a sixth placed finish as an improvement. Where did it all go wrong?

I hope Rogers adapts his philosophies a little because I'd hate for us to play the way Swansea did last season in regards to them being 1/2/3 nil down and still fart arsing about with the ball when more urgency is called for.

Time will tell.

I would hope that you play the Swansea style more effectively than they did. They were beginning to be found out at the end of last season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

I would hope that you play the Swansea style more effectively than they did. They were beginning to be found out at the end of last season

Not really, we just knew we were safe from relegation and therefore had noting to play for.

By the way, I doubt Liverpool will sign Borini as he's just signed for Roma. I think it's just lazy journalism because he used to play for Rodgers, the same type of journalism that linked you with Caulker etc.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm

FreekShow wrote:Back to the topic. It's a sad state of affairs when us Liverpool fans are looking towards a sixth placed finish as an improvement. Where did it all go wrong?

Benitez tried to replace Alonso with Gareth Barry, alienating a world class player.

Hicks and Gillet bought the club, ruining the structure.

Torres lost all confidence, form and fitness robbing us of a world class striker.

Gerrard got older.

Roy Hogdson rather than stabilising the club, rocked the ship by alienating players like Johnson and Agger and making poor signings.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:24 pm

And this resulted in you drawing home games to teams like Norwich Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:34 pm

Olly wrote:And this resulted in you drawing home games to teams like Norwich Laugh

I think eventually yes. By challenging for the league and Champions League, the expectation of home fans is very high, yet while our performances and results have waned, that expectation is still high and the team seems a lot more nervous and cautious. You see it against top sides as well, as there is nothing to lose the team plays better and tends to do well, against smaller sides they struggle because of the expectation.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:36 pm

Crimey wrote:
Olly wrote:And this resulted in you drawing home games to teams like Norwich Laugh

I think eventually yes. By challenging for the league and Champions League, the expectation of home fans is very high, yet while our performances and results have waned, that expectation is still high and the team seems a lot more nervous and cautious. You see it against top sides as well, as there is nothing to lose the team plays better and tends to do well, against smaller sides they struggle because of the expectation.

You can sense it. It was the same when we went to Arsenal. If you don't start beating teams like ours pretty easily, the fans get restless and on the teams back. And this only spurs us on, and drags you down. That's why as a smaller team when you go to a bigger club, if you can get to half time 0-0 it is good, because the fans get restless
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 7:36 am

Crimey wrote:
Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Rogers like his pacey tricky wingers though, hence Sinclair, Dyer and Routledge.

I know, but we don't have any pacey, tricky wingers at the moment. So either he's going to have to dip his hands into the transfer market or adjust his style slightly.

Really? I think he's got a lot of confidence at the moment. The last couple of months of the season and playing for England he looked unplayable at times. I think he's got a lot of confidence at the moment...if he is to be believed he has stopped drinking as much and seems to have gotten himself fit. I think he's settled down into Liverpool after struggling to leave Newcastle. I genuinely believe he can turn it around this year.

Stopped drinking as much? A professional footballer should not be drinking at all. He is getting paid a lot of money and needs to sacrifice to be the best he can be.

I would have thought the same, but last year Bellamy played a lot more than I expected and his legs seemed fine. He won't be able to play several times in a week, so we might have to decide whether to use him in Europe or Premier League but I think he can cope with a game a week.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:30 pm

Crimey wrote:I was disappointed to see Kenny sacked and still think it was the wrong decision, but the appointment of Brendan Rodgers is a positive one and hopefully he can be a success. He has a good philosophy, but I'm hoping he does try and build on the foundations left by Kenny rather than a complete overhaul.

Crimey I have to ask why you think Kenny should have stayed?

Im a ManUtd fan so got plenty of laughs from watching Kenny but never seen what he had to offer Liverpool, tactically and style wise he may have wanted to take the team somewhere but he really didnt seem to know how to do it. When they werent on the front foot they could look good but when they werent they looked like they could be easily picked off, it scares me seeing Rodgers go to Anfield while itll take him time I think he could rebuild Liverpool if given 6 or 7 years to bring through young players as well as some good footballers

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

You dont get 6 or 7 years to rebuild.

In any case Gaston Ramirez looks like hes in the door.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:48 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Crimey wrote:I was disappointed to see Kenny sacked and still think it was the wrong decision, but the appointment of Brendan Rodgers is a positive one and hopefully he can be a success. He has a good philosophy, but I'm hoping he does try and build on the foundations left by Kenny rather than a complete overhaul.

Crimey I have to ask why you think Kenny should have stayed?

Im a ManUtd fan so got plenty of laughs from watching Kenny but never seen what he had to offer Liverpool, tactically and style wise he may have wanted to take the team somewhere but he really didnt seem to know how to do it. When they werent on the front foot they could look good but when they werent they looked like they could be easily picked off, it scares me seeing Rodgers go to Anfield while itll take him time I think he could rebuild Liverpool if given 6 or 7 years to bring through young players as well as some good footballers

Because I saw the progress made under Kenny and am not a fan of chopping and changing managers often. Defensively we were one of the best in the league all season, he got all the players back on side, there were no unhappy players under Kenny as far as we know. We played some really good football at times, and he was very unlucky considering the amount of chances we had but couldn't put away. That has nothing to do with tactics or Kenny.

Obviously there were some bad decisions such as playing Henderson and Downing at right midfield, but other than that I thought the positives outweighed the negatives. I just wasn't sure that changing managers so soon after changing them was the best plan. I'm fully behind Rodgers though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:In any case Gaston Ramirez looks like hes in the door.

I've heard that they haven't even made an offer.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:30 pm

I think long term he was best out of Liverpool for his health the interviews he gave at times were hard to watch but the biggest issue Liverppol have is too many overpaid average players

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:30 pm

They're certainly talking, some talk Bologna said they have an agreement.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:30 pm

I think the game passed Kenny by.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

marty2086 wrote:I think long term he was best out of Liverpool for his health the interviews he gave at times were hard to watch but the biggest issue Liverppol have is too many overpaid average players

I don't think his reaction to the media helped, but I thought he was trying to do what Mourinho does in create a 'them vs. us' kind of relationship. It obviously didn't work.

If that is the biggest issue, than changing managers wouldn't help.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:32 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:I think the game passed Kenny by.

I watched pretty much every game and there was maybe only 2-3 games where we played badly all season. I'd say 80% of our games we were on top and probably deserved a win. Obviously no teams win every game they deserve to, but the problem was we weren't even winning half of the games we deserved to. At times it was ridiculous watching us miss chances, super saves and woodwork.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:35 pm

Crimey wrote:
marty2086 wrote:I think long term he was best out of Liverpool for his health the interviews he gave at times were hard to watch but the biggest issue Liverppol have is too many overpaid average players

I don't think his reaction to the media helped, but I thought he was trying to do what Mourinho does in create a 'them vs. us' kind of relationship. It obviously didn't work.

If that is the biggest issue, than changing managers wouldn't help.

Do you think the ownders wanted him though? He was forced on them really by the fans who never accepted Hodgson and they threw him in and he didnt set the world alight so made it easier to get rid of him

He obviously didnt study Mourinhos way of doing it poor Geoff Shreeves earned his money last season interviewing him Laugh

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:38 pm

I think the way he responded to the Suarez saga really made it difficult for the owners. Especially when they're trying to repair the clubs reputation.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:40 pm

It will be interesting to see who he actually wants to bring in. I can only envisage pacey wingers at the minute.

I also would like to see Sterling get some serious game time in pre season and see what he has to offer. To could become a valuable player for us.

Also nice to see the loanees back and Buck to give them a crack to see what they have to offer

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:46 pm

Kenny wasn't given long enough , but he didn't handle certain situation well either which evenually led to him leaving . He did get us playing some really good football at times and but for the woodwork we would of won more games . I thank Kenny for everything he has done and im sure will continue to do for LFC . But this a new beginning now .

I know we haven't played any football under Rodgers yet but i have been impressed with the whole demeaner of the man , he conducts himself very well and i was impressed with his stance over Sigurdsson .

FSG need to realise there is no quick fix and as much as i would like to see us fighting for the title that this and next season are building seasons for the way Rodgers wants us to play . I fully expect Rodgers to go back to Swansea for the likes of Allen, Briton ,Sinclair when he can they are players he rates .

There will be a changing of the guard at Anfield in the next few years player wise i can see lots of players leaving , this will hinder things but is needed .
Unfortunatley due to events off the field ala Hicks and Gillette and some poor signings on it things are worse then they should of been something Kenny wasn't given time to fix but hopefully Brendon will be given the time , we just all need to be patient .

I like any other fan want to see us winning games and playing good football this may take time but im sure it will happen , i will love and support this club forever YNWA
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:50 pm

Does anyone else see a future for Aquilani and Cole at the club.

I could see Aquilani being the sort of technically gifted player that Rogers would like to try and keep hold of if he has plans to implement his passing tactics.

Joe Cole is a difficult one, all the technical ability in the world, no footballing brain.

On balance out of the two I would prefer to keep Aquilani as I feel he has more to offer to the team.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:00 pm

I think it could be the other way to be honest with Cole staying and Aquilani leaving .

I can see Rodgers playing Suarez and Cole off Carroll

Aquilani seems to want to many touches on the ball in the Premier league for me
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:06 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:Kenny wasn't given long enough , but he didn't handle certain situation well either which evenually led to him leaving . He did get us playing some really good football at times and but for the woodwork we would of won more games . I thank Kenny for everything he has done and im sure will continue to do for LFC . But this a new beginning now .

I know we haven't played any football under Rodgers yet but i have been impressed with the whole demeaner of the man , he conducts himself very well and i was impressed with his stance over Sigurdsson .

FSG need to realise there is no quick fix and as much as i would like to see us fighting for the title that this and next season are building seasons for the way Rodgers wants us to play . I fully expect Rodgers to go back to Swansea for the likes of Allen, Briton ,Sinclair when he can they are players he rates .

There will be a changing of the guard at Anfield in the next few years player wise i can see lots of players leaving , this will hinder things but is needed .
Unfortunatley due to events off the field ala Hicks and Gillette and some poor signings on it things are worse then they should of been something Kenny wasn't given time to fix but hopefully Brendon will be given the time , we just all need to be patient .

I like any other fan want to see us winning games and playing good football this may take time but im sure it will happen , i will love and support this club forever YNWA

I think you will probably find it was down to poor finishing that was the downfall and not the woodwork

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:52 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:Does anyone else see a future for Aquilani and Cole at the club.

I could see Aquilani being the sort of technically gifted player that Rogers would like to try and keep hold of if he has plans to implement his passing tactics.

Joe Cole is a difficult one, all the technical ability in the world, no footballing brain.

On balance out of the two I would prefer to keep Aquilani as I feel he has more to offer to the team.

I think Cole is more likely to say with both Rodgers and Cole saying they are happy with the other. Aquilani will probably go.

I'd rather it was the other way around and get rid of Cole and keep Aquilani, because when Aquilani played he was actually good, where as Cole was awful.

I also would like to see Sterling get some serious game time in pre season and see what he has to offer. To could become a valuable player for us.

Apparently Rodgers wanted to sign him on loan for Swansea last year, so seems likely.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

I think Sterling could be for Liverpool what Sinclair was for Swansea. Similar types.

As for Joe Cole, it makes me cringe we signed this guy to cover up for what was going on that summer - a bit of 'good news' as in to say everything in the garden is rosy when it clearly wasn't. He came to Liverpool for the money and puffed and panted his way through a woeful season only to be shipped out on loan. We'll probably have to let him see out is 90k a week contract for another 2 years as no one else will match it and he's unlikley to take a pay cut to go elsewhere.

Aquilani will go I reckon. It's a shame about him, his heart doesn't really seem to be in it at Liverpool despite is obvious talent. Rodgers seemed to hint at that again this morning. Also, it does make you wonder why Milan or Juventus didn't take the plunge on him.

I think if there was an oppourtunity to let Andy Carroll leave, either permanent or on loan, Rodgers would take it up.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:40 pm

liverbnz wrote:I think Sterling could be for Liverpool what Sinclair was for Swansea. Similar types.

As for Joe Cole, it makes me cringe we signed this guy to cover up for what was going on that summer - a bit of 'good news' as in to say everything in the garden is rosy when it clearly wasn't. He came to Liverpool for the money and puffed and panted his way through a woeful season only to be shipped out on loan. We'll probably have to let him see out is 90k a week contract for another 2 years as no one else will match it and he's unlikley to take a pay cut to go elsewhere.

Aquilani will go I reckon. It's a shame about him, his heart doesn't really seem to be in it at Liverpool despite is obvious talent. Rodgers seemed to hint at that again this morning. Also, it does make you wonder why Milan or Juventus didn't take the plunge on him.

I think if there was an oppourtunity to let Andy Carroll leave, either permanent or on loan, Rodgers would take it up.

Why would they not use Cole?
He did well at Lille and became a real favourite there and could be a real asset to them if they use him right

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:04 pm

I agree with you that the most likely outcome will be Aquilani out with Cole staying. Think the decision will probably be made by Aquilani who wants to return to Italy. However, I would prefer it to be the other way round. I just see Cole as window dressing that we can't afford at the moment.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:41 pm

marty2086 wrote:
liverbnz wrote:I think Sterling could be for Liverpool what Sinclair was for Swansea. Similar types.

Why would they not use Cole?
He did well at Lille and became a real favourite there and could be a real asset to them if they use him right

I'm going on his first spell here and his last few years at Chelsea when he looked horribly unift. If he's bucked up his attitude and fitness, and Rodgers feels he has use for him then good, he could be an asset as you say, but a 90k a week one? I highly doubt. That's CL level wages that could be used on someone else who isn't past their peak.

The reality is, no one is likely to want to take him at that cost, so he might as well play for Liverpool, than have Liverpool pay for him to play elsewhere.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 09 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm

Rumour after rumour of who the 1st signing is going to be this week

Borini , Ba , Adam Johnson ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:13 pm

BBC Sport think Borini.

Tony Barrett in The Times says striker, plus Andy Carroll likely to be shipped out. Barrett is pretty reliable.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 10 Jul 2012, 11:11 am

To be honest Marty Liverpool have reduced there wage bill and got rid of most of the mediocre players on high wages.

Its only really the likes of Aqua and Cole on £80k and £90k respectively, that are not worth there wage and are apprehensive about leaving because of this, hence why they have been loaned out.

I will be interested to see who this 'exciting' signing is, I hope its no Borini cos I would not consider him to be exciting.

I hope will get some confirmation soon.

Also I would not be happy with Carroll being loaned to AC.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 10 Jul 2012, 11:26 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

I will be interested to see who this 'exciting' signing is, I hope its no Borini cos I would not consider him to be exciting.

I hope will get some confirmation soon.

Also I would not be happy with Carroll being loaned to AC.

Borini has even less experience than Carroll in the Premier League, and hardly set the Serie A on fire either, so I wouldn't consider him to be a big signing. If we sign him and then let Carroll go I will actually be pretty unhappy. We need depth, we're in four competitions this year and I genuinely think that Carroll can be an asset to the side and do not think he'll struggle to fit into the system.

Although I want to support Rodgers, I think his comments in the media about Carroll weren't a good idea. He's heaped pressure back on Carroll's shoulders after he finally started looking like he was shedding it.

Rodgers should have told the media that he was happy with Carroll and wanted him in his plans, and maybe had a word in private with Carroll telling him that Carroll is not untouchable and will be dropped if he doesn't fit in. That way the media scrutiny is less but Carroll is fully aware that he has to perform and adapt.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next