The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To come home or not to come home, that is the question.

+10
Biltong
Smirnoffpriest
Cardiff Dave
Kingshu
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ScarletSpiderman
funnyExiledScot
Ozzy3213
Driver
LordDowlais
14 posters

Go down

To come home or not to come home, that is the question. Empty To come home or not to come home, that is the question.

Post by LordDowlais Fri 06 Jul 2012, 1:14 pm

After discussing on another thread I was actually surprised to see how many Welshmen there are playing in the Aviva Prem. Now the question I would like to ask every nationality who contributes to this forum is this.Which players currently playing outside of your national league would you like to see come back, which club would be more beneficial to for the player and why would you not like to see them coming back ? I for one would love to see Rhys Gill and Craig Mitchell at the Blues along with James Hook. I think they would easily take the Blues onto the next level and perhaps take them further in the league and in Europe. But to be perfectly honest those three players would improve any of our regions. The Dragons could do with Charteris not going and I bet Shingler would do a good job in the center for them. Also as a side competition, who can name the most players from there own country playing in another league ? Here is my go, I am sure there are people on here though with much more knowledge than me who will get more:-

Dwayne Peel
Ryan Powell
Andy Powell
Will James
Luke Charteris
Gethin Jenkings
Aled Brew
James Hook
Luke Charteris
Steve Shingler
Richie Rees
Ben Evans
John Yapp
Craig Mitchell
Eifion Lewis Roberts
Rhys Gill
Steven Jones
Martyn Thomas
Nick Mcloed
Paul James
Dom Day
James Goode
Thomas R Thomas
Lee Thomas
Damien Welch
Phill Dollman
Shane Williams (yes I can include him, as he is still playing)

My head is throbbing now, I cannot think of anymore, there are probably a few more though. So now, onto everyone else. Ale

Last edited by LordDowlais on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

To come home or not to come home, that is the question. Empty Re: To come home or not to come home, that is the question.

Post by LordDowlais Fri 06 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

Mods, can we move this to the club section please. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

To come home or not to come home, that is the question. Empty Re: To come home or not to come home, that is the question.

Post by Driver Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:16 pm

Scott Mcloed is a Scotland international mate , Do you mean Nick McLeod of Sale Sharks?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:23 pm

Moved as requested OK
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:24 pm

Driver - RIP 606 wrote:Scott Mcloed is a Scotland international mate , Do you mean Nick McLeod of Sale Sharks?

Yep thats him, cheers.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:24 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Moved as requested OK

ta.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm

Richie Gray, even though he's only just left. He's one of the outstanding locks in world rugby, already, and Scotland's outstanding player. A real shame to see him leave so young, and to go to Sale (no disrespect). I could have lived with him going to Toulouse, but Sale?

Sad

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:33 pm

Dwayne Peel - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters
Ryan Powell - not really needed, not up to grade
Andy Powell - any region squad cover
Will James - not really needed, not up to grade
Luke Charteris - Scarlets or Dragons
Gethin Jenkins - Blues or Dragons
Aled Brew - international cover for any region
James Hook - Dragons or Blues
Steve Shingler - any regions as international cover
Richie Rees - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters
Ben Evans - not really needed, not up to grade
John Yapp - not really needed, not up to grade
Craig Mitchell - Scarlets, Blues, Dragons
Eifion Lewis Roberts - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters
Rhys Gill - Blues or Dragons
Steven Jones - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters
Martyn Thomas - any region as squad cover for internationals
Nick Mcloed - not really needed, not up to grade
Paul James - Blues or Dragons
Dom Day - not really needed, not up to grade
James Goode - not really needed, not up to grade
Thomas R Thomas - not really needed, not up to grade
Lee Thomas - Dragons, any region as squad cover
Damien Welch (Not actually welsh, not qualified) - not really needed, not up to grade
Phill Dollman - not really needed, not up to grade
Shane Williams - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters

Going through that list the players are either not up to the standards of the regions, or getting older (bar a few current internationals)

P.S. you forgot Mike Phillips
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:48 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Dwayne Peel - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters
Ryan Powell - not really needed, not up to grade
Andy Powell - any region squad cover
Will James - not really needed, not up to grade
Luke Charteris - Scarlets or Dragons
Gethin Jenkins - Blues or Dragons
Aled Brew - international cover for any region
James Hook - Dragons or Blues
Steve Shingler - any regions as international cover
Richie Rees - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters
Ben Evans - not really needed, not up to grade
John Yapp - not really needed, not up to grade
Craig Mitchell - Scarlets, Blues, Dragons
Eifion Lewis Roberts - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters
Rhys Gill - Blues or Dragons
Steven Jones - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters
Martyn Thomas - any region as squad cover for internationals
Nick Mcloed - not really needed, not up to grade
Paul James - Blues or Dragons
Dom Day - not really needed, not up to grade
James Goode - not really needed, not up to grade
Thomas R Thomas - not really needed, not up to grade
Lee Thomas - Dragons, any region as squad cover
Damien Welch (Not actually welsh, not qualified) - not really needed, not up to grade
Phill Dollman - not really needed, not up to grade
Shane Williams - any region squad cover, help bring through youngsters

Going through that list the players are either not up to the standards of the regions, or getting older (bar a few current internationals)

P.S. you forgot Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips, Doh , how could I forget him ? Anyway, you seem to have a low opinion of these players abilities, I would rather some of those"not really needed,not up to grade" players rather than a substandard NWQ player anyday. Who is that Argentinian lock the Scarlets have signed ? I would rather any of the "not needed, not up to grade" locks before him.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

Tomas Vallejos, will be with Arg squad during 4Ns

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 06 Jul 2012, 3:36 pm

Ryan Caldwell - left Ulster as was a pen machine, only Connacht
John Andress - squad cover, really should bring props back to Ireland
Tommy Hayes - getting on a bit to bring back
Gareth Steenson - maybe connacht as squad cover
Ian Whitten - would have liked to see him go to Connacht, or Munster (instead of Downey) was down pecking order at Ulster 5th choice centre
Shane Monahan - don't know much about him
Conor O'Shea - maybe make a step up and manage a province in future
Niall Morris - don't know much about him
Geordan Murphy - one of my fav players, but to old to bring back, in his last season I think
Tomas O'Leary - Connacht
Ian Humphreys - Connacht kinda left a bit shoort in Ulster now, but we're building for future
James Sandford - don't know much maybe come back in a few years
Gaston - may be back with more experience
Ed O'Donoghue - didn't make it at Ulster or Leinster, Connacht would be only one
Charlie Ingall - know nothing about
Tony Buckley - should have props in Ireland, back to Munster on less wages
Cillian Willis - would like him as squad cover back in Ulster
Eoin Sheriff - don't know much about him
Neil Best to old and not wanted (don't think hes even in prem anymore)

All in all we've brought back who we wanted, Bowe, Wilson and Downey, have some players that wouldn't cut it as anything more than squad cover for Leinster, Munster or Ulster, but would do ok at Connacht and some young players getting experience that they wouldn't if they stayed.

Could do with some of the props as well, but most are sqaud/pro 12 level and wouldn't really improve the young Irish players we have kept.

Only loss I feel is Whitten who should have gone to Munster instead of Downey (is a younger version of same player)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

My head is throbbing now, I cannot think of anymore, there are probably a few more though. So now, onto everyone else. Ale

Darren Allinson, scrum half at London Irish.
"Allinson, 24, joined the club from Cardiff Blues in April 2010 and has made 33 appearances for the Exiles."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16177600

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 4:25 pm

Lord Dowlais - Welch, Day and Reed showed they weren't giving us what we needed, so we've signed some NWQ players who in the coaches/scouts opinions are better. As Vallejos is an Argie international and is only meant as back up to Earle/the TBC lock signing, then I'd say he's a pretty good signing and we won't really miss the players we've released.

And the only reason the Scarlets let go those 3 locks is because they 'weren't up to grade'

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 06 Jul 2012, 4:48 pm

All the young ones. Those younger than 26 I would like to see play in our domestic setup, once they have done their service and either proved they are good enough or not good enough to wear the Springbok jersey they may leave for the money.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:16 pm

Well, not sure I'd want them at another region but Lee Beech, James Lewis, Jonathan Mills and Ed Siggery are all Welsh lads at London Welsh, soon to be playing in the Aviva Prem. And the one who's name we don't mention could be there soon too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

Kingshu wrote:Ryan Caldwell - left Ulster as was a pen machine, only Connacht
John Andress - squad cover, really should bring props back to Ireland
Tommy Hayes - getting on a bit to bring back
Gareth Steenson - maybe connacht as squad cover
Ian Whitten - would have liked to see him go to Connacht, or Munster (instead of Downey) was down pecking order at Ulster 5th choice centre
Shane Monahan - don't know much about him
Conor O'Shea - maybe make a step up and manage a province in future
Niall Morris - don't know much about him
Geordan Murphy - one of my fav players, but to old to bring back, in his last season I think
Tomas O'Leary - Connacht
Ian Humphreys - Connacht kinda left a bit shoort in Ulster now, but we're building for future
James Sandford - don't know much maybe come back in a few years
Gaston - may be back with more experience
Ed O'Donoghue - didn't make it at Ulster or Leinster, Connacht would be only one
Charlie Ingall - know nothing about
Tony Buckley - should have props in Ireland, back to Munster on less wages
Cillian Willis - would like him as squad cover back in Ulster
Eoin Sheriff - don't know much about him
Neil Best to old and not wanted (don't think hes even in prem anymore)

All in all we've brought back who we wanted, Bowe, Wilson and Downey, have some players that wouldn't cut it as anything more than squad cover for Leinster, Munster or Ulster, but would do ok at Connacht and some young players getting experience that they wouldn't if they stayed.

Could do with some of the props as well, but most are sqaud/pro 12 level and wouldn't really improve the young Irish players we have kept.

Only loss I feel is Whitten who should have gone to Munster instead of Downey (is a younger version of same player)

Ed O'Donoghue is Australian - is he IQ? I'm pretty sure Cillian Willis retired through injury.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:51 pm

You're forgetting Timmy and Dave Ryan but they are in the Pro 12 with Dragons and Zebre repectively. Will be talking to one of them tomorrow. I think both are elligible for the USA too.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

This is the list of players overseas that I can think of. I'm not counting players like Dylan Hartley or Cooper who didn't play at a high level in NZ.
Props
Carl Hayman
John Afoa
Campbell Johnstone
Neemia Tialata
Nathan White
John Schwalger
Carl Hoeft
Tim Fairbrother
Hookers
?
Locks
Paul Tito
Brad Thorn
Troy Flavell
Bryn Evans
Ross Filipo
Loose Forwards
Jerry Collins
Thomas Waldrom
Rodney Soialo
Sione Lauaki
Michael Paterson
Xavier Rush
Chris Masoe
Johnny Leo'o
Craig Newby
Halfbacks / 1st Fives
Kahn Fotuali'i
Kevin Senio
Byron Kelleher
James Arlidge
Jimmy Gopperth
Nick Evans
Stephen Donald
Daniel Bowden
2nd Fives/Centres
Luke McCalister
Sam Tuitupou
Casey Laulala
Stephen Brett
Ricky Flutey
Regan King
Wingers/Fullbacks
Doug Howlett
Joe Rocokoko
Sivi Sivivatu
Ben Blair
Jarrad Payne
Bruce Reihana
Scott Hamilton
Also soon to be going Sonny Bill Williams, Jeremy Kaino and Jimmy Cowan
Of all those players
The Blues would like Afoa, Evans, Payne and maybe Rocokoko back
The Chiefs would like none back
The Canes would like none back
The Crusaders would like Thorne (maybe) and Fotuali'i back
The Highlanders haven't contributed much to overseas.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:05 am

LOrd - I don't mean it disrespecful, the locks that I have dismissed have either all had time at PYS and not done the job, or been Will James!

Look at the props. We so ahve a bit of a prop with not having quality props at the regions. Gethin JenkinsPaul James, Rhys Gill, Craig Mitchell are all good wnought ot be first team (first 23) regional players. However there is a reason that John Yapp and Ben Evans are not at regions, and it is because they are not up to the standards of the welsh lads who are there. The Blues have Hobbs and Andrews who are rated higher (rightly or wrongly) than Yapp. The Ospreys have too many props full stop. The Scarlets have Rhodri Jones who has recently got his first cap, and Samon Lee, and Rob Evans who were doing fine work in the Under 20s. The Dragons are probably the weakest region as regards props, but IMO are still in a postion where the players they have are better value for money that Evans or Yapp would be.

Take a step back from the 'Welsh boys only' attidude and look at the playrs on thelist and their track records/club history. A fair number of them have been regional players and have been deemed not up to the standards of the welsh players that replaced them.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

nganboy wrote:.......The Crusaders would like Thorne (maybe) and Fotuali'i back......

I think there are a huge amount of Ospreys fans who would be willing to pay his air fair if you are willing to take him back.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:53 am

Also

Rene Ranger, Aled Del Malmanche and Isiai Toeava have moved overseas to France and Japan respectively

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down