The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International rugby Challenge: Select your combinations.

+14
LeinsterFan4life
Thomond
Rory_Gallagher
bedfordwelsh
mowgli
Toadfish
IanBru
LondonTiger
Zander
Geordie
ChequeredJersey
pete (buachaill on eirne)
red_stag
Biltong
18 posters

Go down

International rugby Challenge: Select your combinations. Empty International rugby Challenge: Select your combinations.

Post by Biltong Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

OK, it is a tad bit boring on the iinternational rugby forum, so here is something you can stick your teeth into.

you must select an intenrational team, based on the usual first choice players of each nation.

But it works like this.

You select your team based on combinations, but you are allowed to mix the combination with any first choice player you deem good enough. So if you for example pick NZ as your front row, you can pck amongst, Hore, Mealamu, B Franks, O Franks, Woodcock, etc.

So the combinations you must pick must each be from a different country and you may use them each only once.

Front row.
locks
backrow
halfback pairing
midfield pairing
back three.

That means you will have six nations represent your team, so think carefully how you will combine strenghts and weaknesses of each combination.

Then you must provide your gameplan. There are no reserves as this is old style rugby, the 15 that goes on, must play 80 minutes.

We will then do a poll once everyone has selected a team and gameplan.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

International rugby Challenge: Select your combinations. Empty Re: International rugby Challenge: Select your combinations.

Post by red_stag Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm

01 Joe Marler
02 Dylan Hartley
03 Dan Cole
04 Andies Bekker
05 Victor Matfield
06 Imanol Harinordoquay
07 Thierry Dusatoir
08 Louis Picamoles
09 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 George North
12 Ma'a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Alex Cutherbt
15 Leigh Halfpenny

BTW that leaves us with:

English Front Row
South African Second Row
French Back Row
Australian Halfbacks
New Zealand Centres
Welsh Back Three

Last edited by red_stag on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

International rugby Challenge: Select your combinations. Empty Re: International rugby Challenge: Select your combinations.

Post by Biltong Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:25 pm

Biltong XV

Front row - England
1. Corbisiero
2. Hartley
3. Cole

Locks - Scotland
4. Gray
5. Hamilton.

Back row - SA
6. Burger
7. Alberts
8. Vermeulen

Half back pairing - NZ
9. Smith
10. Cruden

Midfield - Wales
12. Roberts
13. J Davies

Back three - Australia
11. Ioane
14. Drew Mitchell
15. Beale

My forwards should be solid enough to gain parity against any team combination, they will be very effective at the breakdown, and in open play the backrowers plus Gray will have enough physicality and ball carrying ability to do damage, but the maestro Cruden will keep this backline busy, have Roberts run the strongball, Davies to create the little gaps, and the Aussie back three to counter from deep.

Only kicking allowed is from deep within 22 to releive pressure, other wise little cross kicks, little grubber kicks, and kicks into space close to the touchline to turn defenders and put them under pressure.

No box kicks allowed.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:48 pm

S.AFRICAN FRONT ROW:
Beast
DuPlessis
DuPlessis

SCOTTISH LOCKS:
Gray
Hamilton

FRENCH BACKROW:
Dusatoir
Harinordquoy
Picamoles

KIWI HALFBACKS:
Smith
Carter

WELSH CENTRES:
Roberts
Davies

AUSSIE BACK 3:
Mitchell
O'Connor
Beale

What a team:)

Hard nosed Saffas up front but all 3 can get around the park and yet scrum well. The locks can anchor the scrum well due to size and are a good combination in terms of work horse and athletic carrier. The French backrow combines lineout skill, carrying and tackling and all are good on the deck.

In the backs, the best 10 in the world is getting the ball quick and can feed to monster Welsh centres who will easily get over the gainline. This creates space for a lightening quick Aussie back 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:49 pm

Front row- England - Corbs, Hartley, Cole (Marler, Grey and Harden on the bench)- runners up South Africa

Second Row- Scotland - Gray, Hamilton (Ryder)- runners up Ireland

Back row- France- Dusautoir, Harinordiquy, Picamoles (Oudraogo)- runners up- pretty open

Halfbacks- South Africa- Hougaard , Goosen (Pienaar) - runners up Australia

Centres- New Zealand- SBW, Smith (Carter as FH and Centre cover Wink) - runners up Wales

Back 3- Australia- O'Connor, Ioane, Beale (Ashley-Cooper)- runners up Wales
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:52 pm

I FORGOT IOANE! Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:54 pm

Ah, no subs. Sorry. Good bench though, eh?

Gameplan- that pack will have at least parity and probably the edge over any other in the world at each set piece, giving a great platform for the backs. Cole and the backrow will ensure quick ball at the breakdown, whence the saffer HBs can either play a territorial game or spin the ball to the devastating centres with the back 3 running supporting lines. When quick ball is not on, hammer away with our big carriers in the forwards.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:57 pm

Have you just inadvertedly selected the front 5 for the Lions tour... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Wed 04 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

1. Corbisiero
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Evans
5. AW Jones
6. Burger
7. Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen

9. Reddan
10. Sexton
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Smith
11. Ioane
14. Ashley-Cooper
15.Beale

So thats:

England front row
Wales second row
South Africa back row
Ireland halfbacks
New Zealand midfield
Australia back 3.

Last edited by Zander on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

Corbs
Hartley
Cole
Grey
Hamilton
Burger
Alberts
Juan Smith
Genia
JOC
Savea
SBW
Smith
Dagg
Gear

I want my tight 5 to scrummage like mad and make a nuisance of themselves in the loose. Back ro to tackle and run.

Genia to demand quick ball and threaten the opposition defence, keeping them honest. O'Connor may be contoversial but I preferred him to Cooper and decided not to go for a full Kiwi back line. O'Connor will kick the goals and run and pass - with Genia inside and SBW outside him and that monster pack his life will be easy.

SBW and Conrad Smith havbe to play and the back 3 would be ordered to run back everything.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 04 Jul 2012, 1:20 pm

LT you can't have NZ for both centres and back 3
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 04 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

And O'Connor is not that controversial, I think he's Aus' best 10 and one of the best 10s in the world
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 04 Jul 2012, 1:43 pm

1. Marler
2. Hartley
3. Cole

4. Gray
5. Hamilton

6. Coetzee
7. Alberts
8. Spies

9. Genia
10. Cooper

12. Fofana
13. Rougerie

11. Savea
14. Gear
15. Dagg

Strategy: Bang up through mutliple phases with the forwards before exploiting gaps out wide. Wingers to come inside and run lines off Rougerie. I want a fast-paced offloading game. Basically a combination of Edinburgh and Scotland's styles but, you know, executed to perfection.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Wed 04 Jul 2012, 1:46 pm

Front row - England
1. Corbisiero
2. Hartley
3. Cole

Locks - Scotland
4. Gray
5. Hamilton.

Back row - France
6. Dusatoir
7. Harinordiquay (spelling?)
8. Picamoles

Half back pairing - Australia
9. Genia
10. JOC

Midfield - SA
12. Steyn
13. De Villiers

Back three - NZ
11. Jane
14. Savea
15. Dagg

Gameplan: Whatever NZ do, just do that.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 04 Jul 2012, 3:53 pm

Is anyone else surprised that the French front row haven't been picked once yet and the Argies/Italians haven't featured once at all? Both of those nations have good front rows

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:21 pm

Beast
Du plessis
Du plessis
Gray
Hamilton
Zanni
Barbieri
Parisse
Genia
Cooper
Gear
Roberts
JD2
Savea
Dagg

i want a rampant, carrying mobile pack with a solid set piece. Pick and drive to suck in defenders and the key to my game plan is intensity, quick ball from the base and support runners opening up channels inside and outside. My key player is genia.

With Cooper playing flat Roberts bangs it up time after time and we unleash a killer back 3. Dagg should always be looking to counter attack but our defensive kicking game is to ensure we are playing in their half not ours.

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:28 pm

Beast
Du plessis
Du plessis

Gray
Hamilton

Dusatoir
Harinordquoy
Picamoles

Genia
Cooper

Roberts
JD2

Gear
Dagg
Savea
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:37 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Is anyone else surprised that the French front row haven't been picked once yet and the Argies/Italians haven't featured once at all? Both of those nations have good front rows

I don't think Ireland have been represented yet either mate. Laugh

Honestly though there is no combination Ireland should take. Back row maybe but I don't think we have a good enough 8.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:41 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Is anyone else surprised that the French front row haven't been picked once yet and the Argies/Italians haven't featured once at all? Both of those nations have good front rows

I don't think Ireland have been represented yet either mate. Laugh

Honestly though there is no combination Ireland should take. Back row maybe but I don't think we have a good enough 8.

Hang on a minute, I picked the Ireland halfbacks. Whistle

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:58 pm

*Quickly scrolls up*

Yay we have a fan! Interesting that you picked Reddan though, I had a feeling you had picked him over Murray when you said you picked the irish half backs. Also it is funny that Kidney doesn't give Reddan and Sexton a chance to play together, yet many people think that is the best half back partnership available. At the same time I like Murray because he is a prospect for the future, but really Reddan and Sexton get no time together for Ireland.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:02 pm

They don't, they probably should but Reddan does lack physicality. It's not the main job of a scrum half I agree but he doens't start a lot of Leinster's important game either.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:15 pm

Thomond wrote:They don't, they probably should but Reddan does lack physicality. It's not the main job of a scrum half I agree but he doens't start a lot of Leinster's important game either.
He started the HC final. Is there a more important game than that at club level ?

Last edited by LeinsterFan4life on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:16 pm

True, but Reddan has the quicker service (or at least he is a lot more consistent in that area) and seems to operate better with Sexton than Murray does. I don't complain too much though because like I said, Murray is one for the future. However I am not sure he is our best option at 9 at this point in time.

Murray may learn a lot when Stringer returns though. I don't know why but I think Stringer will have an impact on his return.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:18 pm

Id like reddan to start but we have to keep on with murray because he is the one for the furture

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Wed 04 Jul 2012, 9:22 pm

Whenever I've watched Ireland games with Murray at 9, I always found Ireland struggled to get quick ball and that the halfbacks didn't gel (that is with Sexton). However, with Reddan, like for Leinster, Ireland seemed to look a far more dangerous team.

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 04 Jul 2012, 9:54 pm

1. Marler
2. Youngs
3. Corbisiero

4. Kruger
5. Bekker

6. Ferris
7. SOB
8. Heaslip

9. Jackson
10. Evans

12. Contepomi
13. Hernandez

11. Ione
14. Samo
15. Mortlock

16.Johnston17.Hafu18.Tonga'uiha19.Manoa20.Gorgodza21.Parra22.Trinc'du23.Caucau

Tbh I have no idea what this team would do but on their day they could be immense.

I basically just went for which ever players I liked rather then maybe the best with some sort of abstract ideas about territory/running power. I'm also intriqued with the four fly halves idea, a tactic which will catch on in 2055.

Ione has a lot to do making up for the speed in the rest of the backs.

And I like the impact of the Tongan/American/Georgian/French/Fijian bench esp the front row!

Last edited by yappysnap on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added subs)

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:03 pm

1. Domingo
2. Servat
3. Mas

4. Gray
5. Hamilton

6. Burger
7. Smith
8. Alberts

9. Youngs
10. Flood

12. SB Williams
13. Smith

11. Ioane
14. O'Connor
15. Beale

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:17 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:And O'Connor is not that controversial, I think he's Aus' best 10 and one of the best 10s in the world

I actually think JOC is best at 12, and he has claimed that is the position he would like to settle in. IMO Beale is an even better 10 than JOC, and I think he could potentially end up at 10 rather than at 15 in the future.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Thu 05 Jul 2012, 3:23 am

there's some good combinators in world rugby

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 05 Jul 2012, 7:30 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:And O'Connor is not that controversial, I think he's Aus' best 10 and one of the best 10s in the world

I actually think JOC is best at 12, and he has claimed that is the position he would like to settle in. IMO Beale is an even better 10 than JOC, and I think he could potentially end up at 10 rather than at 15 in the future.

If Cooper can tone down his maverick moments, then he is best for the position, however I have been seriously impressed with Beale at 10 this season.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 05 Jul 2012, 7:31 am

dallym wrote:there's some good combinators in world rugby
You missing someone mate? Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:03 am

Good bit of fun this. Surprised to see so many English front rows and few NZ back rows though. I'd go

Woodcock - Mealamu - O.Franks

POC - Ryan

Kaino - Read - McCaw

Genia - Cooper - (I'm no Cooper fan, but this is about combinations and these two play brilliantly together) Could easily go Genia - Barnes or Smith - Carter though

SBW - Smith

Iaone - JOC - Beale (By a mile!)

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:04 am

Bathite, mate you can only use one combination per nation.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:09 am

Oh! Whoops, that makes things a bit clearer now, now I get why there were so many weird combos used! Never seen Scotland so popular!

Corbs - Hartley - Cole

POC - Ryan

Burger - Brossouw - Alberts (can't stand Spies)

Smith - Carter

Roberts - Davies

Iaone - JOC - Beale

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

Or, on second thoughts

Domingo - Servat - Mas

POC - Ryan

Burger - Brossouw - Alberts (can't stand Spies)

Care - Flood

SBW - Smith

Iaone - JOC - Bea

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

If only France had a reliable 10 and Ireland a 9!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:11 am

You sure now, no more changes? Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

I am loving the four flyhalves idea thing that is gas! :P

Glad to see some people are picking guys they like rather than guys they think are the best. Very fresh!

My favourites 15

Healy-Servat-Murray
Gray-Thorn
Dusatoir-Parisse-Zanni
Yacvilli-Contepomi
JOC-Rougerie
Dagg-Beale-Aplon

Castrogiovani-Ledesma-Mathfield-Harinordquoy-Genia-Nonu-Halfpenny

Think Healy is one of the biggest legends in Irish rugby and have always like Servat as a player. Breaks my heart seeing Swarzeski start for France. Murray in at 3 don't have many favourite tightheads to be honest, Ollie Le Roux if he was still playing would obviously win here! Castro and Ledesma are characters!

In the locks was gutted I didn't get to pick Ryan at Munster because I really like the guy! Gray and Thorn are for me the most attractive locks to watch play apart from Lawes who I think is a thug. Mathfield will always have my greatest of respect.

Dusatoir is quite simply a legend. Nothing else needs to be said on the guy and the same with Parisse the fella is a champion. Zanni has always been one of the guys I have really liked although not necessarily very very good.

Yachvilli is quality and I love his approach to the game in terms of his range of skills (passing/kicking) is simply breathtaking. Genia is so close to getting this due to his running game though. Philips/TOL etc are at the bottom of the list, had to add that in! Very Happy
Contepomi is my all time favourite player, love how he plays the game with his improv style and his range of tricks. I have JOC covering 10.

JOC and Rougerie form a potent midfield with pace, creativity and power. Big fan of each player particularily the JOC story of being eligible for so many teams and chosing Australia (my favourite SANZAR) when so young. Nonu on the bench as one of the guys who used to be majorally 1 dimensional and worked hard on his game love how he has come on.

Dagg in for his ridiculous counterattacking and how he joins the line one of my favourite traits in a 15 (wing), Beale another one of my favourite players due to his balance and elusive running while being pretty great under the highball. Aplon the only Saffa I love because he is so small compared to the Saffa monsters! Wish he got to play more with them. Frans Steyn nearly made it in here too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down