The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez vs Chavez: Has Your Opinion Changed?

+11
OasisBFC
Lance
BoxingFan88
School Project
Seanusarrilius
mobilemaster8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
JabMachineMK2
Valero's Conscience
15 posters

Go down

Martinez vs Chavez: Has Your Opinion Changed? Empty Martinez vs Chavez: Has Your Opinion Changed?

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:00 am

Before Chavez's last fight probably 98% of fans thought Martinez would beat him very comfortably. After the Lee fight Chavez's stock has rose and looks better than before.

Do you think Martinez will still win? Personally, yes I do albeit probably a points win, the problem is he'd have to win 8 rounds clearly to get the nod as there is more financial sense for a young undefeated guy to beat an old great fighter near the end of his career but that's another matter.

ps - with all the things Chavez has done i.e. suspected substances and blatant ducking and with Martinez appearing to be a very humble guy only getting his dues at the end of his career I will be so annoyed if Chavez won!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Martinez vs Chavez: Has Your Opinion Changed? Empty Re: Martinez vs Chavez: Has Your Opinion Changed?

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:11 am

I still see Martinez having a fairly easy night here. He may be a lot older but he's faster, and although he doesn't have as heavy hands as Chavez I'd have to say I think he'll accumulate a lot more in terms of punches landed and meaningful ones at that.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Martinez vs Chavez: Has Your Opinion Changed? Empty Re: Martinez vs Chavez: Has Your Opinion Changed?

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:02 am

Any word on if random drug testing is being involved in the lead up to the fight?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 am

Chavez will win a clear UD unfortunately. He's being sold short because of the issues around him and the lax attitude the WBC have towards mexican fighters around the middleweight limit or slightly below.

Plus he is huge at the weight and will probably club Martinez sufficiently to win an ugly fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:36 pm

His stock has raised but lee was never that hard to find and has been brought into wars whenever he is put under any kind of pressure

Martinez should win it fairly easily, he is a lot more elusive than lee and is can't see the rig being as small as the one in the Chavez fight. Martinez will be the quickest and biggest puncher he has fought to date. I see it turning out like the pavlik-Martinez fight

Chavez is very big and hits pretty hard but Martinez isn't exactly chinny and is tough enough to take the few shots that Chavez will land cleanly

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Martinez via UD.

Would not be suprised to see a Chavez SD though.

The guy HAS to be on something surely.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Chavez is going to be on the best roids money can buy, will have the judges & referee on his side and no doubt the ring will be 3 by 3. That said, if Martinez hasn't declined in the time since his last fight, he should be able to pot shot Chavez to a UD.

That said, would not be at all surprised if Martinez gets shafted on the cards.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Was Chavez done for roids or diuretics? Someone of his size would be a fool to take streoids. Accusing him of juicing is libellous.

He will beat Martinez fair and square imo. Too big and strong and skilled enough to use those advantages to get a legit result.

Moreover why doesn't Martinez insist on tests?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:55 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Controversially I think Chavez Jr will win this. Let's not forget however Chavez WAS behind on the cards against Lee, so there may be some fair judging in place against Martinez. But there's too much for Martinez to deal with now...

Chavez is a huuuuge "middleweight" they guy will be walking into the ring at 180+ there's no doubt. He can walk guys down and when fully rehydrated, if he is able to walk through Martinez's punches (and I do believe he is able to) then he will be able to jab Martinez to death and use he weight and height to close the distance

Martinez's power is a little over-rated. Yes, he laid out Williams who was begging to be hit with that left hand, but he likes to wear opponents down before stopping them.

I'm not saying age will have caught up with Sergio, but he can be jabbed easily and every so often can be caught off balance when coming in. With a guy who's 6'1, weighs 180 pounds and probably has a better chin than most middleweights - he has the opportunity to make Martinez look BAD... this would give Chavez Jr a very decent chance of winning.

I honestly think Martinez has too much against him before the fight is even made.

Top Rank promoted.
Fight in Vegas.
WBC Beltholder is God-Son.
Chavez name.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:32 pm

The fact you think Chavez will jab him to death makes me think you don't watch many Chavez fights. He has throw it with authority vs Manfredo who is nowhere near Martinez level but averages about 10 jabs a round which is well below the division average.

Martinez power it's overrated, he demolished Williams, hurts him too in the first fight, hurt pavlik, destroyed dzinzuruk, wobbled Macklin (who Sturm couldn't hurt for 8 or 9 rounds) with every left that landed and knocked barker out the minute he landed cleanly. If Chavez walks through martinez then it would tell me that it's even more likely that Chavez is on something

Martinez needs to get old overnight or get robbed for Chavez to win

Did you hear andy lee's interview where he said that Chavez jr was as strong as Wlad klitschko who he's sparred with as they have steward as their trainer. With plenty of fighters getting busted atm I would love for him to be the next to get caught

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Seems that people have bought into the hype.

I think Martinez will knock him out cold, he is far too easy to hit. There is no way he is going to take the bombs Sergio will be throwing. Lets not forget Sergio is angry at Chavez Jr he is not going to be passive like he was against Macklin.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:53 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Seems that people have bought into the hype.

I think Martinez will knock him out cold, he is far too easy to hit. There is no way he is going to take the bombs Sergio will be throwing. Lets not forget Sergio is angry at Chavez Jr he is not going to be passive like he was against Macklin.

I dearly hope so, if this could be the one result I could guarantee this year i'll have it!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 pm

chavez is better than barker or macklin, so im sure the fight would at least be competitive. i can see why chavez is disliked but i think people on here take it a bit too far, and ridicule his boxing skills too much. certain people say hes useless yet they seem to expect him to beat the likes of lee quite easily. the truth is martinez needs the fight a lot more than chavez, and chavez is gonna have a more successful career than martinez weather he wins or not.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Lance wrote:chavez is better than barker or macklin, so im sure the fight would at least be competitive. i can see why chavez is disliked but i think people on here take it a bit too far, and ridicule his boxing skills too much. certain people say hes useless yet they seem to expect him to beat the likes of lee quite easily. the truth is martinez needs the fight a lot more than chavez, and chavez is gonna have a more successful career than martinez weather he wins or not.

I wouldn't say he's that much better than Macklin

Why is he ridiculed? He weighs in about 180+ come fight night, has unnatural strength, can walk through everyone's shots without even buckling, has tested positive for weigh makers and doesn't take drug tests. He got a gift vs Zbik imo, Zbik landed a lot more shots on Chavez and outworked him. Zbik isn't actually that good, he won 1 or 2 rounds en route to a stoppage from Sturm who is past his best ad struggled with Brits Murray and Macklin. Lee and Manfredo, 2 average boxers, manged to outbox him pretty easily at some points.

Chavez will have a more successful career financially but that is out of Martinez hands. Chavez style will always attract fans and name recognition means he had a fan base before he started boxing. If/when chavez is busted he will lose a lot of interest and will have to 168 where he will get battered. Styles like his don't normally end with a long career at the top.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Surely you haven't read any of my previous posts stating how useless Chavez is. But in this day and age in boxing, skills don't mean anything.

Martinez doens't have the power to KO Chavez in one punch. If he had the power to do that. Yes he beat up Pavlik (who hadn't looked as bad as that before), he KO'd a Paul Williams who ate punches for a living anyway, Barker was due to a perferated ear drum and Macklin, although game, took a lot of big shots... it's like saying Mayweather is a KO king because he wore Hatton down and KO'd him late and that he demolished Ortiz in 2 punches...

Martinez is quick, awkward and has power... but his one-punch KO power is a myth built up since the Williams win.

I'm not in any way hyped up with Chavez, he's useless as sin and is a champion by proxy. He should be at Super-Middle or Light-Heavy but he would get spanked. But he has a massive advantage with the things I listed above...

Added to his, Barker (who isn't as quick as Chavez) was able to jab Martinez easily.

I want Martinez to win, and on the grounds of boxing I think he should win... But playing devils advocate on this one. Unless Martinez KO's Chavez (which I 100% don't think he can do) then the fight will more than likely be scored favourably in Chavez's favour.

It's being analytical on the state of boxing... not hyped over a fat lazy Mexican kid with a spoon in his mouth.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:03 pm

I don't know where this idea that if it goes the distance Chavez will be gifted a decison. I had him wining most rounds against Lee yet somehow the judges managed to have Lee ahead. So much for bias. The way it looks, Chavez needs to KO Martinez to win. He can do it also.

Too much is built on the Williams win. A great punch against a past it fighter. No great shakes. I have been consistent in saying that Martinez is more hype than substance. He is.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:12 pm

ive read that there's more cloak and daggers regarding the drugs test for this fight.

chavez camp has rejected certain drugs test requests

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Sergio Martinez is really good, but he's not a world beater. Too many people have jumped on his wagon. He's beat a very good but somewhat over-rated Paul Williams and a recovering Alco in Pavlik, plus a couple of decent Englishmen. People go on about him as though he is a living legend. He's 37 and relies on speed of punch, the end is nigh..
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:39 pm

OasisBFC wrote:ive read that there's more cloak and daggers regarding the drugs test for this fight.

chavez camp has rejected certain drugs test requests

See, this is why this sport is starting to become Poopie!

ALL FIGHTERS (No matter who you are) should take drug tests, and serious ones at that!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:51 pm

I think Martinez will win, but I dont think it will easy with Chavez size at the weight.

I havent been hugely impressed with Martinez since his Dzinzurik fight. But I think Chavez kind of style is the one Martinez enjoys facing the most.

Chavez is stong. A bully at the weight with an underrated inside game, good body attack and good pressure. The problem he faces is that these are the kind of things that dont really trouble Martinez. Chavez I get the impression needs his opponents to stand in front of him so he can overwhelm them. But Martinez doesnt do that. Hes a mover and is agile.

He tends to crouch low and has good head movement so body attacks are pretty much out due to his stance. Hes rarely stands in the same place for long so that will render Chavez inside game as reduntant. And Im not convinced Chavez can pressure an effective mover like Martinez successfully.

On top of that, I think Martinez power is good. Hes knocked out his last 4 opponents. He may not have the single shot power to stop a big guy like Chavez but I do think his punches if they land cleanly and acurately will make Chavez really feel them.

Its a good match up though, and I think the Chavez camp fancy this. Unfortunately I think there is an element of overconfidence with Chavez who so far I think has fought opponents that suit him and he will find Martinez that bit too slippery to be as effective against. The danger for Martinez will be that he spends too much time avoiding Chavez and not enough throwing punches or that advancing years has robbed him of his agility and movement. But I think ultimately the style match up is one that suits Martinez and so far I just have the feeling Chavez looks good against opponents that stand in front of him. Im not convinced he has skills or movement to prevail against more complicated fighters.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:43 pm

spot on as usual manos
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:45 pm

My opinion is this:

If Chavez Jr isn't watched as closely, he'll juice his ass off, and then, possibly have a chance.

If he doesn't juice the hell out of himself Martinez will pancake him over 12.

The Lee fight was not fought on a level playing field. If it was a life or death choice, you'd say he was doing something illegal.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Since when do you have to have one punch knockout power to knock someone out cold? Chavez is going to get hit too clean too often.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Martinez's workrate has dropped significantly in recent fights. Watch any of his fights after Pavlik to see this.

What I'm saying is, people talk about Martinez as though he has this aura of one-punch power. He doesn't, especially against heavier opponents. He wears guys down and the accumilation of punches tend to score the stoppages...

People also overlook that Chavez, despite his flaws, does have quite a decent chin. If he closes down the space that Martinez needs to be effective and smothers him, Martinez won't get the power behind his shots. Giving Chavez a massive advantage up close.

It doesn't take Freddy Roach or Manny Stewart to see that.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:06 am

Fair enough, I'm not buying it though, Martinez will clock him in the face all night long. Everyone will go down eventually, no one thought Margarito could be stopped until Mosley battered him.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 am

I think it's rather clear Chavez is on something...

Why on earth would you be refusing the drug tests if you weren't on something? It's pretty transparent...

I think justice will be done, Martinez will walk him around the ring and make him look a fool at times, genuinely don't believe that it will be easy however given Chavez will be on the best drugs money can buy and will be huge on the night and Martinez isn't the biggest MW he could have a tough time with the physicality.

I see this as a much better mans David Haye versus Valuev, Martinez should pick him apart and move around him, however Chavez will be pushing hard and towards the end will be taking more and more risks.

Say what you like about Chavez, but the guy does seem to bring genuine fire and intensity to the ring so he should get to Martinez plenty of times, but I think Martinez will be too wily and a little too clever overall.

Great fight, but wouldn't be shocked to see it ending up falling through again before September...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:22 am

Comparitively speaking, Chavez is not as slow or as ponderous as Valuev. I see Chavez's clubbing punches taking their toll on Martinez and Chavez hurrying up to leave as soon as the decision is anounced.....to party of course.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:40 am

No, why I am saying it will be a much better mans, both are better at what they do than the original fighter I gave, however I see the fight playing into that sort of style.

I just don't see enough technical skill in Chavez's work to be able to beat someone as elusive as Martinez. I most certainly feel with the strength and size issues it tips it into a much more even playing field however I do wonder about Chavez's stamina, as against Rubio in what i imagine was an easier fight than the Martinez one will be, he did appear to tire out a bit halfway and was being caught more and more often and his defenses became more scattered. Against an accurate in and out of range fighter like Martinez I think this could be a big downfall for Chavez.

You never know, he could come on stronger towards the end and actually could grind Martinez down by the end even without having the same kind of technical skill the Argentinian has, like Hatton did against Tszyu, so sometimes things in Boxing don't always make sense.

Do genuinely think it could become closeish on points but am going for a Martinez relatively clear and near unarguable decision, but having to work very hard for it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:46 am

I've always held the opinion that skill beats size and strength (so do my women). But in this instance, I don't think the gulf in skill is that wide. yes Martinez is more skilled. But Chavez is no slouch either. Coupled with his superior bulk and power, I can see him grinding Sergio down to steal a close decision down the stretch.

Hope I'm wrong because of all the dodgy goings on with Chavez.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:53 am

Well personally I don't see too much real technical skill, he does the basics ok, but I don't think he is close to Martinez in technical ability. Rarely uses his jab for a pressure fighter, has a decent inside game, telegraphs a lot of his punches due to him forcing the punches, instead of allowing them to come naturally.

I mean, he hasf an actual good standard of skills and with his size and strength he can deal with fringe world level operators and certain world level operators but I think Martinez has a bad style for him and is most certainly a good world level operator.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down