The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team GB Squad

+4
Thomond
GG
The Womble
Crimey
8 posters

Go down

Team GB Squad Empty Team GB Squad

Post by Crimey Mon 02 Jul 2012, 3:23 pm

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Birmingham), Jason Steele (Middlesbrough)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Tottenham), Craig Dawson (West Bromwich Albion), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Neil Taylor (Swansea), James Tomkins (West Ham)

Midfielders: Joe Allen (Swansea), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Jack Cork (Southampton), Ryan Giggs (Manchester United), Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal), Danny Rose (Tottenham)

Forwards: Craig Bellamy (Liverpool), Scott Sinclair (Swansea), Marvin Sordell (Bolton), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)

Looks an alright squad, but the first thing I notice is the lack of an out and out striker other than Marvin Sordell who played 3 games for Bolton last year. I think the only person I'd have had in the squad is Jonjo Shelvey, possibly ahead of Jack Cork, but that's probably just because I've seen more of Shelvey.

Team looking like:

Butland

Richards
Dawson
Caulker
Taylor/Bertrand

Allen
Ramsey
Giggs

Sinclair
Sturridge
Bellamy

Or possibly

same back 5

Sinclair
Allen
Ramsey
Giggs

Sturridge
Bellamy

Cleverly maybe in for Ramsey in those teams.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Team GB Squad Empty Re: Team GB Squad

Post by The Womble Mon 02 Jul 2012, 3:51 pm

That's a decent enough squad, still not convinced about Richards though. I'm pleased Cork and Cleverly are in. I hope those 2 shine as they are cracking midfielders and have real future potential.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Jul 2012, 3:59 pm

Looks appaling that squad. When you compare that First XI to what Spain & Brazil are going to unleash then you will understand. Really looking forward to watching Brazil because many of their young stars playing at the olympics will be the ones in their prime for 2014. Neymar, Ganso, Lucas Moura, Leandro Damião, David Luiz, Hulk, Oscar, Thiago Silva compared to Aaron Ramsey, Cork & Sturridge......embarrasing

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Mon 02 Jul 2012, 4:15 pm

There are actually some players in there that can pass, which might help.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 02 Jul 2012, 4:22 pm

John wrote:Looks appaling that squad. When you compare that First XI to what Spain & Brazil are going to unleash then you will understand. Really looking forward to watching Brazil because many of their young stars playing at the olympics will be the ones in their prime for 2014. Neymar, Ganso, Lucas Moura, Leandro Damião, David Luiz, Hulk, Oscar, Thiago Silva compared to Aaron Ramsey, Cork & Sturridge......embarrasing

Do you not get bored of being so negative? You're like a weird comic book character.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 02 Jul 2012, 4:26 pm

Some alright players there, the likes of Chamberlain and Wilshere wouldn't have been allowed go I'm guessing. They're key to any success England are to have in the future.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:54 am

I'm not negative i'm just being realistic and understand the quality of the opposition. You have to respect the sheer talent that Brazil currently possess and when you compare it to England's it makes grim reading.

Believe me, I would love to be positive but we are not in a position to challenge these teams and that was abundantly evident in Euro 2012.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:57 am

John wrote:I'm not negative i'm just being realistic and understand the quality of the opposition. You have to respect the sheer talent that Brazil currently possess and when you compare it to England's it makes grim reading.

Believe me, I would love to be positive but we are not in a position to challenge these teams and that was abundantly evident in Euro 2012.

If it so abundantly evident then there is no reason for you to point it out in every post.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 03 Jul 2012, 4:07 pm

Spain have picked Jordi Alba despite the fact that he played every game at Euro 2012....seems strange that Barcelona are happy to let their new signing risk injury like that. Mata has also been picked after appearing at Euro 2012 but he only played a couple of minutes so it's not that big of a deal.

There three overage picks are: Mata, Martinez and Adrian Lopez.

Other well known names in the squad: De Gea, Iker Muniain, Oriol Romeu, Thiago.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

After the disappoinment of the Euros I think this England under 23 team (with a few borrowed Welshman in) will be looking to restore pride to the nation. Cant see them getting very far though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm

Steffan wrote:After the disappoinment of the Euros I think this England under 23 team (with a few borrowed Welshman in) will be looking to restore pride to the nation. Cant see them getting very far though

Disappointment? Headscratch

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 05 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

Crimey wrote:
Steffan wrote:After the disappoinment of the Euros I think this England under 23 team (with a few borrowed Welshman in) will be looking to restore pride to the nation. Cant see them getting very far though

Well England enter every tournament saying 'this is our year' and 'its gonna be like 1966' so yes getting knocked out in the quarters as opposed to winning it is disappointment

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Jul 2012, 1:06 pm

Disappointment would suggest they were expected to get further. I would say a realistic fan ought to be delighted they got that far.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 05 Jul 2012, 1:06 pm

Disappointment??? We drew with France, beat Sweden, beat Ukraine and Italy couldn't beat us (or indeed score against us) in 120 minutes, therefore we didn't really lose. Plus we have risen to 4th in the World (but that's another argument!) I really don't see where the disappointment is.

We didn't have high expectations or hopes going into the tournament. A lot of people didn't think we would make it out the group let alone win it.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 05 Jul 2012, 1:08 pm

Steffan wrote:
Crimey wrote:

Well England enter every tournament saying 'this is our year' and 'its gonna be like 1966' so yes getting knocked out in the quarters as opposed to winning it is disappointment

Nice stereotype, but not really true. Most people had very low expectations. It was a good tournament for England.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:28 am

Giggs is captaining the team, which isn't really a surprise.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:50 pm

Crimey wrote:Giggs is captaining the team, which isn't really a surprise.

Great! So glad we have a captain that plays regular first team football, is someone who's played International football recently and is proud to represent his country in every game (even in friendlies), is a faithful family man, somone who can act like a role model for kids

..........wait a minute! Whistle

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by dreilly Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:05 pm

I'm quite looking forward to seeing Butland play at this level, always saw him as a young Keeper with potential

dreilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down