The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year.

+7
kiakahaaotearoa
Geordie
gowales
maestegmafia
ChequeredJersey
sugarNspikes
unforcederrors
11 posters

Go down

Do you think Halfpenny will make the Lions starting XV?

Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year. Vote_lcap29%Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year. Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 12 ]
Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year. Vote_lcap33%Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year. Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 14 ]
Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year. Vote_lcap38%Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year. Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 16 ]

Total Votes : 42

Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year. Empty Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year.

Post by unforcederrors Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:20 am

1 miss in 3 tests and that hit the post from the half way line. The boy is amazing, the ultimate professional.

The only thing that worries me is that he isn't as much of an attacking threat at 15. He became a star for Wales at 14. He has been great at 15, but his devastating pace and finishing isn't as apparent when he isn't on the wing.

It wouldn't surprise me if he moves back to 14 at some point in place of Cuthbert, and someone else is given the chance at 15.

Rob Kearney is definitely the best 15 in the NH and certainly the best in the air. The Lions will need a true full back. The Lions will also need a points machine if they want any hope of a test series. The Lions management knew this in 1997 and that is why Neil Jenkins was shifted to 15. He simply had to play because his kicking was too good.

This is why Leigh Halfpenny will be the Lions 14. He is the best kicker in NH rugby since Wilko and Jenkins. Hopefully he will also be selected on other merits other than his boot.

unforcederrors

Back to top Go down

Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year. Empty Re: Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year.

Post by sugarNspikes Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:24 am

May make the 22 for his versatility. There are better full backs and wingers than him as it stands.

Decent player to have in case of injuries and especially for the kicking option.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year. Empty Re: Leigh Halfpenny will start for the Lions next year.

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:33 am

I think he should start. If he doesn't make the 22, it's an awful call in my opinion. Great winger (I prefer him to North or Cuthbert frankly), try scorer with guile, pace and a step, creates for others, best available kicker and second best fullback available. Money on all fullback back 3 of Foden, Kearney and 1/2p?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

Best goal kicker in the home nations. Name is inked in to the tour part already for his second tour.

He could improve his already good game at fullback and make the shirt his own.

We will have to see how next season goes for him.

Still only 23, by the next tour he will be 24 and will have two lions tours, a world cup semi and two six nations Grandslams, possibly three to his credit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

Halfpenny two six nation grandslams? He wasn't a part of the 2008 squad

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

A very strong possibility at wing...as someone mentioned i also prefer him to North and Cuthbert...and he then gives you that kicking option aswell.

But i do think he has some serious competition for that FB spot.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

I think Kearney is superior in every aspect of fullback play than Halfpenny, the only thing HP has over him is goal kicking.

Wing is a tough position with so many good players vying for places, to be honest i wouldn't start him there either.

Sexton will most likely be 10, possibly Flood/Ford/Farrell. If either of them start then there's no need to start Halfpenny.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:29 pm

Only Meyer picks a player purely for goalkicking. Whistle

As other posters have mentioned you need to take the game to Australia and put them under pressure not just with goalkicking. Plenty of goal kickers at the Lions disposal. What you need is game breakers in your back three. Halfpenny seems better on the wing than at fullback and there the competition is much stiffer.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

Judging by Wales series v Australia..maybe there should just be a token Welshman...let Ireland, England and Particularly Scotland beat them... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm

I don't think the competition is stiffer on the wing
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:00 pm

Halfpenny is the best defensive player in the back 3, he very rarely makes a mistake and is the most accurate goal kicker in the home nations (perhaps the world at the moment) - He will start for the Lions, probably on the wing, although Kearney has not been impressive recently, and Halfpenny would be a better defensive FB.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mbernz Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:22 pm

I'm another who would prefer him on the wing to North or Cuthbert. We're likely to have plenty of bulk in the centres and he's got a bit more class about him, which I think is what you need more of to beat the Aussies.

mbernz

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:33 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I think he should start. If he doesn't make the 22, it's an awful call in my opinion. Great winger (I prefer him to North or Cuthbert frankly), try scorer with guile, pace and a step, creates for others, best available kicker and second best fullback available. Money on all fullback back 3 of Foden, Kearney and 1/2p?

So you haven't heard of

Morgan Stoddart
He was not only the best FB but probably the best Welsh player just before he got injured, was defensively awesome, positionally showed such awareness. and was their most potentent threat scoring tries for fun.

Hogg
With very little international experience he is showing so much promise, extremely fast

Outside bets with better potential than Foden (he played wing today!!) or 1/2p (suspect under the high ball)
Tom Brown - Scotland
Tom Prydie - Wales
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:52 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:I think he should start. If he doesn't make the 22, it's an awful call in my opinion. Great winger (I prefer him to North or Cuthbert frankly), try scorer with guile, pace and a step, creates for others, best available kicker and second best fullback available. Money on all fullback back 3 of Foden, Kearney and 1/2p?

So you haven't heard of

Morgan Stoddart
He was not only the best FB but probably the best Welsh player just before he got injured, was defensively awesome, positionally showed such awareness. and was their most potentent threat scoring tries for fun.

Hogg
With very little international experience he is showing so much promise, extremely fast

Outside bets with better potential than Foden (he played wing today!!) or 1/2p (suspect under the high ball)
Tom Brown - Scotland
Tom Prydie - Wales

Laugh NO

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:54 pm

Flyhalf they are way way outsied bets mind. Prydies goal kicking was immense but his defence is still a bit ropy, and he isn't that quick!

Stoddart is all but retired.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:01 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Flyhalf they are way way outsied bets mind. Prydies goal kicking was immense but his defence is still a bit ropy, and he isn't that quick!

Speak to Maestegmafia
Prydie is the faster player in Wales by a distance ........ some incredibly quick stats over 100m (I was suprised too)

Stodaart is coming back from injury and you cant ignore probably the stand out player before he got injured
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:03 pm

gowales wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

So you haven't heard of

Morgan Stoddart

Hogg

Tom Brown - Scotland
Tom Prydie - Wales

Laugh NO

incredible contribution yet again
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

Stoddart was looking good but stand out?!

Prydie was lacking pace in the JWC at times, and moved to the wing for it. Is he signing for the Dragons next season? If so I'll have my gates to greet him and I can get you all an exact timing of his 10m 20m and 60m sprints!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:05 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Flyhalf they are way way outsied bets mind. Prydies goal kicking was immense but his defence is still a bit ropy, and he isn't that quick!

Speak to Maestegmafia
Prydie is the faster player in Wales by a distance ........ some incredibly quick stats over 100m (I was suprised too)

Stodaart is coming back from injury and you cant ignore probably the stand out player before he got injured

So what? Varndell is one of the quickest players in the world and yet he isn't up to test standard, i've yet to see anything of Prydie to suggest he is ready yet.

Stoddart is a good player, but you said he was probably the best player for Wales and good defensively which is absolute fudge

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:23 pm

I have heard of all of those players, I don't think any of them add as much as Leigh. Neither do any of our back 3 players. Prydie looks quick but not amazing from the little I've seen. Hogg looks fine but not as good as the current options for at least a few years. Stoddart might never come back in that way again. Hogg also will end up being a wing IMO. Halfpenny is, IMO, and you can argue if you like, the best overall option we as Britain and Ireland have in the back 3. If you don't want him, and would prefer the likes of North or Prydie, we will take him.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

gowales wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Speak to Maestegmafia

So what? Varndell is one of the quickest players in the world and yet he isn't up to test standard, i've yet to see anything of Prydie to suggest he is ready yet.

The fact is you said he isnt that quick................. know it all

With regards to Stoddart......... You need to look back at his last three welsh matches laddy, it was said alot on this forum that he was outstanding in those

So maybe "fudge" in your eyes only

Stoddart is a good player, but you said he was probably the best player for Wales and good defensively which is absolute fudge
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:43 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
gowales wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Speak to Maestegmafia

The fact is you said he isnt that quick................. know it all

With regards to Stoddart......... You need to look back at his last three welsh matches laddy, it was said alot on this forum that he was outstanding in those

So maybe "fudge" in your eyes only

Did i now? Where would that be exactly

Defence has always been a weak point of Stodds, he did improve but that is by no means a strength of his, along with his kicking out of hand which is terrible. I saw his last three matches "laddy" Laugh and he wasn't Wales's best player.

And funny that you say look at his last 3 games.
He was playing well at fullback in the 3rd one but got injured, played well in the 2nd one at fullback against the Baa-Baas and he played wing for the whole 6 nations, where he wasn't near the best Welsh player. So i can't see how he was one of the stand out fullbacks in the NH. "Laddy"

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 24 Jun 2012, 6:50 pm

Apologies for me saying that you said "he isint that quick" ,,,,,,,,, you didnt say that

Stoddart - Did I say he was the stand out player in the NH

Well I better get you a re-run of the last 3 matches then, on form he was by far the best option at FB for Wales and yes his defence and agression was awesome, turning over players much bigger than himself superb under the high ball, massive left and right peg. The myth of his poor defence was fuelled by people who jumped on the bandwagon (having seen him in one or two matches but hardly ever or never seen him play otherwise)

In that 3rd match he was outstanding and by far the stand out player, as he was in the 2nd............... funny how most welsh posters atr the time stated he was and now with time you are saying he wasnt
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down