The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Sky dropping Promoters good for Boxnation?

+9
Super D Boon
Imperial Ghosty
azania
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Gordy
Josiah Maiestas
Mind the windows Tino.
davidemore
Seanusarrilius
13 posters

Go down

Is Sky dropping Promoters good for Boxnation? Empty Is Sky dropping Promoters good for Boxnation?

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

Rumour has it they are dropping Frank Maloney, which means David Price. As we all know, they also dropped Hatton. So, seeing as Sky only seem interested in Matchroom at the mo, is this good news for Boxnation?

If I was Warren would be burying all hatchets and getting Hatton and Maloney to add their stable to the station. This would take huge weight off Frank having to put out shows every week with his own guys,a nd maybe encourage some people to join the channel?

Not saying it will, and would like to know a bit more about the ins and outs of how this would work, but what you think?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Is Sky dropping Promoters good for Boxnation? Empty Re: Is Sky dropping Promoters good for Boxnation?

Post by davidemore Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

Yeah Frank using Hatton and Maloney would be a good thing. Not sure what is going on at Sky? And not sure why Warren is allowing so many of his fighters to sit on the sidelines doing nothing when he can put them on his channel? Frank's a bit in-house for me these days.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Is Sky dropping Promoters good for Boxnation? Empty Re: Is Sky dropping Promoters good for Boxnation?

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:49 pm

Maloney hates Frank, that's the only thing. Hate and jealousy always screw promoters relationships, sadly

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

davidemore wrote:Not sure what is going on at Sky?

Isn't it obvious? Sky have made a huge financial commitment to F1 and already have the footy, rugby, cricket, not to mention a host of other sports. They are a huge company but even they will be under pressure to cut their cloth accordingly in these chastened times. Boxing is just far too unreliable to justify throwing good money after bad. Whatever you think of the other sports mentioned, they are reliable, have a fully defined season and bring in massive advertising revenue. All things that boxing can, on occasion, provide but cetainly not with the same level of consistency.

In an ideal world, the big powerbrokers at Sky would all be hard core fans who post on 606v2. The reality is, the individual sporting chiefs at Sky have to justify their expenditure to pretty successful, but unforgiving, bosses. Boxing has a pretty poor track record and as such, is a really hard sell. It is not rocket science. Not great for us fans, but that is the grim reality of life right now.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
davidemore wrote:Not sure what is going on at Sky?

Isn't it obvious? Sky have made a huge financial commitment to F1 and already have the footy, rugby, cricket, not to mention a host of other sports. They are a huge company but even they will be under pressure to cut their cloth accordingly in these chastened times. Boxing is just far too unreliable to justify throwing good money after bad. Whatever you think of the other sports mentioned, they are reliable, have a fully defined season and bring in massive advertising revenue. All things that boxing can, on occasion, provide but cetainly not with the same level of consistency.

In an ideal world, the big powerbrokers at Sky would all be hard core fans who post on 606v2. The reality is, the individual sporting chiefs at Sky have to justify their expenditure to pretty successful, but unforgiving, bosses. Boxing has a pretty poor track record and as such, is a really hard sell. It is not rocket science. Not great for us fans, but that is the grim reality of life right now.

I live in Canada, so wasn't aware of the money they were throwing at F1. And don't care for F1 either really, so wouldn't know.

I wish Sky would just dump everyone then, that way we might get to see our boxers migrate to a new home. All this segregation of coverage is one of things really hurting boxing. That and all the cheating, haha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

alma wrote:
Personally I hate F1 so this is annoying me even more

I don't like it either, alma, but you couldn't get a more perfect sporting model to fit Sky sports.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:15 pm

There's always ITV and Channel 5. steam
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:19 pm

Some good points about Skys budgeting.

I am not surprised to hear about Price. Maybe Sky has realised there is no value in throwing money and hyping this guy up anymore. I said from the start this was a Sky hype job.

Boxing cannot deliver with the same cnsistency as most other sports and lets be realistic, can you blame Sky? Fighters brawling like hooligans in public, failing drugs tests, fights getting cancelled. If I were running Sky I would stay clear of boxing.

But from boxings perspective it is more bad news. In a few yers it may not even be on tv any longer.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:26 pm

It is worrying with them dropping Price, because it's like saying by the time Price is a top fighter at the weight they will have given up on boxing. Eek

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:39 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:It is worrying with them dropping Price, because it's like saying by the time Price is a top fighter at the weight they will have given up on boxing. Eek

I am sure, given the right circumstances and/or fighters, Sky will always retain an interest in boxing. It can be good product for them on a fight by fight basis, much in line with alma's suggestion further up the page, but I don't think they have the appetite to commit to as big an outlay as it used to be. Times have changed and clearly so have the priorities amongst the top brass at Sky, and who can blame them in light of recent years.

If Boxnation were to fold, and all of a sudden you have Warren's fighters back on the market, it would only strengthen Sky's position. They would be in the same situation as they are currently, meaning they can pick and choose what fighters they actively go after, only on greatly reduced terms to the promoters who have no-where else to go. Sky need boxing like a hole in the head at the moment and they are not going to be held to ransom by anybody, certainly not whilst they have F1 and footy on the payroll.

It is a gloomy outlook for the fan, but unless Boxnation or some other such channel really takes off or terrestrial TV gets back involved, then it is an outlook that people will have to get used to.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:49 pm

I hope so Windows

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:20 pm

Boxing cannot deliver with the same cnsistency as most other sports and lets be realistic, can you blame Sky? Fighters brawling like hooligans in public, failing drugs tests, fights getting cancelled. If I were running Sky I would stay clear of boxing.

They're not shy about chucking money at football which is full of rapists, racists, drink drivers, adulterers, tax evaders etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:25 pm

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:

They're not shy about chucking money at football which is full of rapists, racists, drink drivers, adulterers, tax evaders etc

Aye, bang on Lionel. They get a massive return on their investment from football, whereas boxing just isn't worth the hassle.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:25 pm

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:

Yeah, but the sport runs smoothly, wheras boxing doesn't. Constant drug cheats and dodgy decisions are what's killing our sport

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:45 pm

Gordy wrote:Some good points about Skys budgeting.

I am not surprised to hear about Price. Maybe Sky has realised there is no value in throwing money and hyping this guy up anymore. I said from the start this was a Sky hype job.

But from boxings perspective it is more bad news. In a few yers it may not even be on tv any longer.

Fighters brawling actually brings in more curious fans to the sport. Haye and Chisora have given the sport a kick up the backside.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

azania wrote:
Gordy wrote:Some good points about Skys budgeting.

Fighters brawling actually brings in more curious fans to the sport. Haye and Chisora have given the sport a kick up the backside.

Agreed

At least it's honest mutual dislike

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:04 pm

The sport needs a star at the top. The HW division. The classy demeanor of K" is wrecking boxing. Even a boring champ like Lewis managed to keep an interest because he delivered devestating knock outs. What do K2 offer? Nice talk followed by jab jab jab jab right cross. At least Chisora made them appear interesting.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:23 pm

alma wrote:Who was more boring, Lewis or K2? close call I would say

As individuals its wafer thin, but I'll have to say Lewis. The man was as interesting as golf.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

Inside and outside the ring the brothers are by far and away more boring, surely Az you enjoyed Lewis' scuffles with Rahman and Tyson?

Inside the ring he was capable of a one round demolition something neither brother is, they can dominate but don't seem to have the ability to destroy.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:40 pm

I think the general demise of boxing stems from a lot more than just boring heavyweights.

People are sick of paper world title fights where a supposed champion fights a Mexican bartender for the WBZ "world title"

The WBA with the 4 champs per weight. And around 40 world governing bodies.

I don't know about you but 2011 was the year of the robbery for me. Every week there was a robbery somewhere. Boxing needs to clean up. With the multiple media streams available and the ability to tune in to fights anywhere in the world, the corrupt old men of boxing like Sauerland, Arum and King can't get away with it without masses of furore. Yet these old scroats keep conning the public for their own wealth and destroying the future. People don't care anymore if Manny can get schooled by Marquez (the biggest fight at the time) and still win.

Back to K2 again. If you want to blame anyone for Sky ditching boxing then blame David Haye. He single handedly destroyed the remaining support the British public had with boxing by promising big fireworks against Wlad and delivering a soggy wet catherine wheel that wouldn't light up and spin around.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:59 pm

Super D Boon wrote:I think the general demise of boxing stems from a lot more than just boring heavyweights.

People are sick of paper world title fights where a supposed champion fights a Mexican bartender for the WBZ "world title"

The WBA with the 4 champs per weight. And around 40 world governing bodies.

I don't know about you but 2011 was the year of the robbery for me. Every week there was a robbery somewhere. Boxing needs to clean up. With the multiple media streams available and the ability to tune in to fights anywhere in the world, the corrupt old men of boxing like Sauerland, Arum and King can't get away with it without masses of furore. Yet these old scroats keep conning the public for their own wealth and destroying the future. People don't care anymore if Manny can get schooled by Marquez (the biggest fight at the time) and still win.

Back to K2 again. If you want to blame anyone for Sky ditching boxing then blame David Haye. He single handedly destroyed the remaining support the British public had with boxing by promising big fireworks against Wlad and delivering a soggy wet catherine wheel that wouldn't light up and spin around.

You are correct abot David Haye. He is a conman. I would also add Audley Harrisons name. Their sham of a fight was a disgrace to boxing and showed contempt for fans of the sport.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:05 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Inside and outside the ring the brothers are by far and away more boring, surely Az you enjoyed Lewis' scuffles with Rahman and Tyson?

Inside the ring he was capable of a one round demolition something neither brother is, they can dominate but don't seem to have the ability to destroy.

Whenever I think of Lewis the man, I recall an ITV programme "An audience with Lennox Lewis". Ian Wright had to carry him through the whole hour.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:11 pm

I think that Khan has to take some of the blame as well as Haye as to why sky are losing interest in boxing.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:34 pm

Whatever the reason it doesn't stop them being very boring, i'd take watching Lewis over them any day.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

I'd take watching lewis fight anyday. When they start talking, the mute button is as effective as listening to them.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I think that Khan has to take some of the blame as well as Haye as to why sky are losing interest in boxing.

I dont think so. Khan talks sh!te and delivers exciting fights. Hate talks well and delivers sh!te fights. At the end of the day its the product (fights) that sells although it does help if the champion has a personality. A Haye/Khan hybrid mix would be ideal.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

I've never quite understood how so many can be so warm and effusive in their summary of Lewis as a spectacle, but so dismissive of the Klitschkos - particularly Wladimir - in that same respect. Yes, Lewis' opposition does command a higher rank than Wladimir's, and he perhaps featured in or two more riotous fights, but in terms of excitement and personality there's nowhere near big enough a gap for the Klitschkos to be branded "boring" without Lewis also hovering very, very closely to that bracket.

From where I'm standing, the two of them share similar traits; both prone to turning a little shy in the face of heavy fire, both earning a reputation of carrying inferior fighters for longer than they need have, and both 'guilty' (if that's the right word) of relying on their physical gifts, namely the height and reach advantages that they almost always have / had.

I guess what irks me a little is that Wladimir is often criticised for 'fighting scared' or taking longer than necessary to dispatch certain opponents, when this is exactly what Lewis did against Holyfield I and Tyson respectively.

I guess my overall point is that if the Klitschkos are "boring", then surely Lewis is knocking on the door of such a description, too? For the record, as most will know, I rate Lewis very highly, and I hold Wladimir in a much higher regard than a lot of others in these here parts! Just can't fathom how there can be such a difference between the two in the eyes of some.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:23 pm

The thing with Lewis is that he can and often has ended fights with one punch. I can't remember when K2 did that.

Ending a fight in that manner is what makes the big guys more exciting.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:38 pm

Difference is Chris look at the fighters who Lewis was cautious against namely Tua, Holyfield and Tyson, he wasn't doing it against the Thompson, Arreola or Adameks of the world, if he knew an inferior fighter was there for the taking he tended to close the show. Out of interest how many blow outs in the mould of Ruddock, Golota, Briggs, Grant or Rahman have the brothers been involved with?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:47 pm

See your points Ghosty, but I'd contend that Tyson, by 2002, wasn't really notably better than the likes of Adamek or Thompson, if at all. Don't think you can give Lewis a free pass for 'carrying' Tyson like that, when he offered little to no threat, if you're going to be critical of Wladimir / Vitali for doing the same with the Adameks, Arreolas and Thompsons of this world.

I still think that there's a big comparison to be drawn between Lewis and Wladimir, with a similar pattern emerging throughout their careers - in general, they had to (or chose to) work harder and longer to get the 'w'. Wladimir's early blow outs of Mormeck and Austin aren't as meritorious as Lewis' which you've mentioned, I agree there, but I can't have it that the Klitschkos are "boring" if Lewis is going to be immune to such charges.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:51 pm

You can give him a pass merely for the fact it is still Mike Tyson, he was years past his best but he still carried a threat in his fists, personally don't see any comparison as Lewis tended to try and get his lesser opponents out as soon as possible.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:05 pm

I see your point chris. Mormeck was like Tyson according to K2.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm

before Frank thinks about bringing anyone else into Boxnation he needs to get his own stable in order. Callum Johnson has been tweeting that he hasn't been paid by Frank.

Apparently he isn't the only one Danny Flexen claims there is another who he can't name yet but it will come out this week.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 19 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:before Frank thinks about bringing anyone else into Boxnation he needs to get his own stable in order. Callum Johnson has been tweeting that he hasn't been paid by Frank.

Apparently he isn't the only one Danny Flexen claims there is another who he can't name yet but it will come out this week.

Interesting.

I did think Warren must have chucked a ton of cash at the Luxembourg board to get them to sanction the fight. Has he emptied the coffers and bet it all on the Haye Chisora fight?

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

Just watching last nights Bunce, and seems he is saying that it will be more to sub to Boxnationt he closer you get tot he fight? Seems desperate to get people to sign up to channel early?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by beefyboi Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:25 pm

I dont know about anybody else but i get the feeling boxnation would be a much better channel and enterprise if anybody other than mr warren owned/ran the channel. I could see various promoters then jumping aboard, bringing more small hall shows and bringing smaller hall promoters through the ranks. But as it stands with mr warren at the helm i dont beleive sky dropping promoters will be of any advantage to boxnation. I wish it was iv been subscribed to boxnation from the start.

beefyboi

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

If rumours are to be believed they have Price's next fight, because its on the undercard of the Khan bill.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

alma wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:If rumours are to be believed they have Price's next fight, because its on the undercard of the Khan bill.

That rumour seems to have died off, although I hope it happens

They don't have the Khan fight. Kahn signed a 3 fight deal with Sky and his first of the 3 was the Peterson fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm

Sorry I misread that. Doh
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down