The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Big Moment!

3 posters

Go down

The Big Moment! Empty The Big Moment!

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:37 pm

I've been thinking about WWE's potential to create a moment, a particular moment, and its that special moment where you see someone win their first World Heavyweight or WWE Title. That moment where all their hard work, and development that you have spent hours watching, appreciating and discussing on this site, pay off in the biggest way possible, as the wrestler in question wins the title they so richly deserve.

I've been thinking about this, and wondering... Where is that next moment possibly going to come from?

The obvious answer is Dolph Ziggler - however, do you think this moment has already been soured by his very temporary title win last year? Especially as the announce team still refer to Dolph as a former world champion. I think it will take the shine off somewhat, and rob Dolph of the true golden moment he deserves?

I think they could have preserved this by discounting that "reign" as illegitimate, and not refer to him as a former champion. But for whatever reason, WWE have decided that it does count. I don't see the benefit to anyone in doing so.

Elsewhere... Who else could possibly have such a moment in the near future? As far as I can see, everybody in and around the main event scene have held the World Title at some point. And most of them in pointless, uninspiring reigns. Is this another victim of the two world title scenario?

Its said that WWE are failing to create stars... yet everyone seems to have been World Champion. So have the WWE shot themselves in the foot, and screwed themselves out of some golden moments, by sharing the World Titles around so freely?

I think so. Even people like Swagger and Christian - who look nothing like World Champions these days, can somehow call themselves members of what should be a prestigous alumni.

Who next? And how far away in the future?

I guess Wade Barrett would be one who could have a moment.
Cody Rhodes? Not for me personally, not for a while.
Kofi Kingston? I'd like it, but a lot wouldn't.
Not a great deal of choice though is there?

So WWE have the talent at their disposal to make true stars out of, but all those moments where they actually BECOME stars, and become World Champions, have been wasted already. Given away with a disappointingly paltry investment in emotion

What do you think?

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

The Big Moment! Empty Re: The Big Moment!

Post by Crimey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

The problem is, it's almost as if you're suggesting that winning the world title for the first time is the only big moment worth investing in.

That isn't necessarily so, for example, CM Punk's win at Money in the Bank, despite being his third world title win was a bigger moment than his first two world title wins and reigns and catapulted him into stardom.

Obviously not everybody can through what CM Punk did, but at the same time I think there is a lot more to a big moment than it just being the first world title.

Dolph Ziggler could still had his big moment, it would just require long-term, exciting booking. I think a face turn and chasing the title for months, always just one moment away from winning it before finally winning it in a big match would be a big moment.

The problem is that WWE only seems able to book heels as cowards or monsters, the monsters are usually defeated too early and when the coward loses the world title it's not big enough of a deal because they were a coward and it was only a matter of actually getting them to beat them, rather than it being an accomplishment.

I agree, to an extent that because the world title has been passed around to too many people it makes big moments more difficult, but I don't think it makes them impossible and you can become a star some other way.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:12 pm

Nice bit of food for thought there ED.

As much as I'd like to see Cody Rhodes have one of these 'moments' I still think he's a few decent feuds away from it. He's progressing at a really good rate and I don't want it rushed.

Wade Barrett is my shout, he has the look and attitude of a strong heel champion, and not a cowardly one like we've been inundated with recently. Plus he's 'foreign' so he will draw heat like a Bunsen burner. They could say all the usual spiel about how he's come from 'fist fighting in Manchester pubs with broken glass taped to his knuckles to the top of his industry'.

Ziggler for me deserves it here and now, but unfortunately due to its rushed nature I don't think the moment should come in this feud with Sheamus. I'd like to see a good feud with Punk but I think he's pencilled in to lose to Big Show.
Anyway I'm rambling, I think if Ziggler puts on a good show tomorrow, his reward will be a 'moment' when the feud with Sheamus gains a bit of steam.

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:39 pm

I don't think its the only way to create a moment - of course not, that's why I say I'm thinking of a "particular" moment. Its one tool in the box, and I think its currently the most neglected tool.

I just think the first time should be special ('cos I'm romantic). Remember Mankind's title win - amazing moment!

Nowadays it seems the only way you win your first title is via Money in the Bank - which is already becoming lazy.

I'm sure Ziggler's moment will be awesome - I just think the edge has been taken off a bit, by a storyline which never really added anything anyway.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down