The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Scotland better than Wales now?

+30
RuggerRadge2611
George Carlin
aucklandlaurie
blackcanelion
tecphobe
sugarNspikes
Gordy
IanBru
KickAndChase
TJ1
NeilyBroon
mckay1402
Knowsit17
majesticimperialman
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
doctor_grey
yappysnap
GunsGerms
gowales
Pat_Mustard
thebluesmancometh
anotherworldofpain
welliamwibb
pbuk0
Biltong
Morgannwg
Shifty
Coleman
rodders
34 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are Scotland better than Wales now? - Page 2 Empty Are Scotland better than Wales now?

Post by Guest Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

There. I've done it now so no-one else can!

Back to top Go down

Are Scotland better than Wales now? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Scotland better than Wales now?

Post by IanBru Sat 09 Jun 2012, 9:28 pm

Self-delusion has never been part of the Scottish national psyche. We are, for the most part, painfully and overbearingly realistic.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Are Scotland better than Wales now? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Scotland better than Wales now?

Post by Gordy Sat 09 Jun 2012, 9:32 pm

I dont think Scotland can claim to be better than Wales based on one result. In truth, this was a poor fixture for Australia to take. It was given the status od a B game and little more than a warm up fixture for the Aussies and I am glad that Scotland beat them. But for Australia, the real focus and effort was going to be on Wales and I thinkwe saw that today.

Scotland need to kick on now and find wins against the Islanders. In the past so often it seems to be a case of one step forward, two steps backs for Scotland under Robinson. A good performance, followed by a bad one. Too many false dawns. And while the Irish continually moan about Kidney, I think Robinson is actually the one who is somewhat lucky to be kept on. It would be typical now for Scotland to lose their next two games and Robinson to limp on by virtue of a win over a second string Australia side. I think Robinson must win a minimun of two games in the 6N now to stay on irrespective of how they fare in the next two games.

Wales also need to find a win over Australia who I dont think are actually all that strong. Ireland managed it in the WC. Wales should have the quality but do they have the mentality?

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 9:52 pm

it was not a B game nor was it a hugely weaker team than played Wales.

Scotladn neutralised Pocock, by the sound of things wales did not. Of course in realityt the game could be played 100 times and Aus would win 99 of them.

However it is extremely sour grapes to say B team and a warm up fixture

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat 09 Jun 2012, 9:54 pm

KickAndChase wrote:Can't wait if Scotland ever actually become a force again ... would be interesting to see the personalities of the posters here. I reckon it'd be much the same Smile I like that about us
By the time that happens the machines will have taken over and I'll be too busy working in a salt mine to worry about bragging rights on a forum (that will be moderated by the machines anyway) Shocked

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sat 09 Jun 2012, 9:57 pm

I don't know I can see us dominating Ireland and Italy at least for the next few years with a ping pong with England with results? Maybe France too. Wales seem to have our number.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Sat 09 Jun 2012, 11:00 pm

KickAndChase wrote:I don't know I can see us dominating Ireland and Italy at least for the next few years with a ping pong with England with results? Maybe France too. Wales seem to have our number.
From wooden soon to dominating Ireland and Italy ..... Right and that's keeping your feet on the ground. Interesting to see how the Scottish are getting on in the JWC oh wait..

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 10 Jun 2012, 1:16 am

TJ wrote:it was not a B game nor was it a hugely weaker team than played Wales.

Scotladn neutralised Pocock, by the sound of things wales did not. Of course in realityt the game could be played 100 times and Aus would win 99 of them.

It's uncharitable and it tends to take the gloss off the win (and a win is a win noone will remember the circumstances in 100 years). It is however the reality. That wouldn't stop me celebrating if I were Scottish......

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sun 10 Jun 2012, 6:27 am

tecphobe wrote:
KickAndChase wrote:I don't know I can see us dominating Ireland and Italy at least for the next few years with a ping pong with England with results? Maybe France too. Wales seem to have our number.
From wooden soon to dominating Ireland and Italy ..... Right and that's keeping your feet on the ground. Interesting to see how the Scottish are getting on in the JWC oh wait..

Sarcasm lost on you there Wink

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 10 Jun 2012, 7:03 am

perhaps, maybe Scotland are better than Wales,I dont know, but I would like to see them score a try oneday.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 7:37 am

blackcanelion wrote:
TJ wrote:it was not a B game nor was it a hugely weaker team than played Wales.

It's uncharitable and it tends to take the gloss off the win (and a win is a win noone will remember the circumstances in 100 years). It is however the reality. That wouldn't stop me celebrating if I were Scottish......

It is not the reality. ou do not play guys like Pocock in a b team game.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:07 am

I don't know any of my fellow Scots who would start an entire WUM thread just because Wales lost to a team that Scotland beat earlier in the week. picard

Not that we don't appreciate the humour in a Welshman starting one, however. Whistle
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:34 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:Scotland won the breakdown battle and negate Pocock and Hooper and I think in this area they are better than Wales by evidence. They put the pressure to Genia and close down his space and time and read the inside ball to shut down Wallaby attack, so in that area yes they are better.

Hit the nail on the head. The welsh pack were bullied start to finish from what I saw and warburton failed to deal with pocock.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: perhaps, maybe Scotland are better than Wales,I dont know, but I would like to see them score a try oneday.
Wouldn't we all, laurie, wouldn't we all! Altho, we managed a couple in the 6Ns for once!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 10 Jun 2012, 12:45 pm

gowales wrote:To be honest Scotland's pack is pretty much equal to Wales, especially in bad conditions! Your backs in particular the finishers and playmakers are terrible though

That might have been the case the last season or two, but we have a young squad of potential. I am quite confident with this batch of players when we face you in the 6Ns 2013, Hogg Visser Dunbar Scott Laidlaw are all attcck minded creative players all with some serious speed, whilst Denton as an 8 IMHO is better than Toby, and Rennie has proved how good an openside by putting Pocock in his pocket with ease, something Warburton didnt do yesterday.

15 Hogg
14 Visser
11 Lamont / Evans

13 Dunbar / NDL / Ansbro
12 Scott

10 Laidlaw / Weir
9 Cusiter / Blair

1 Grant / Low
2 Ford
3 Murray

4 Kellock
5 Gray,

6 Denton / Strokosch
7 Rennie
8 Barclay / Denton / McInally

LETS FORGET THE LAST 8-9 GAMES....... most of the Welsh and Scottish players weren't even playing most of those past games. The good thing is the performance was there over the last 2-3 season and we were unlucky to lose some of those.

Finally Australia made about 7 changes mostly due to the fact that they were beaten by us. So it deffo wasn't a B side played in a midweek attitude, as has already been said most of the key decision players played against us and were much fresher not like yesterday. Its a bad show that some of you Welsh posters forget that and also that we had 4-5 key players out as well.

The fact is Scotland beat a fresher and equally potent Australian side and you lost against players that played 3 games in about 8 days.

Are we better than Wales......... NO
Have we got the potential to get better than we have been........ a massive YES
Are we confident that we will be more than ready when we face Wales next year....... a massive YES
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

There were 15 players in the pool yesterday that played against us therefore similar teams, what we , Scotland, is to improve and keep on nurturing the youngsters and yes we can be once more a very good team.

Agree with you Flyhalf

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 10 Jun 2012, 6:24 pm

Wales for all their efforts lat 12 months have still not beaten a SH top 3 yet where ireland and scotland have...both oz mind you.

Its is one possible scenario that scotland go home with the sole SH victory. A likely one based on the first round. Those are the facts.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 6:29 pm

Should the question not be ,, Is Scotland better than Australia now ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sun 10 Jun 2012, 7:30 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Should the question not be ,, Is Scotland better than Australia now ?

It would be more relevant as it is two on the trot...

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2