The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread

+60
JDizzle
belovedfrosties
ChequeredJersey
gelodge
sugarNspikes
Zander
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Duty281
Coleman
CurlyOsp
HQ matt
damngoodOvalball
2ndtimeround
mzan
GavinDragon
Rava
doctor_grey
TycroesOsprey
rodders
Cadair Idris
nathan
anotherworldofpain
dogtooth
kingjohn7
LondonTiger
welliamwibb
HERSH
mrzimmerman
Taylorman
welshy6
WWosprey
OzT
Pal Joey
Rob B
Rory_Gallagher
niwatts
Knowsit17
Ozzy3213
Smirnoffpriest
wales606
glamorganalun
George Carlin
slartibartfast
Liam
Islingtonv2
Morgannwg
offload
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RuggerRadge2611
Pot Noodle Miner
mckay1402
ScarletSpiderman
Cari
boomeranga
maestegmafia
Biltong
Cymroglan
Luckless Pedestrian
LordDowlais
munkian
64 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread Empty Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:41 am

Captain Sam Warburton returns to lead Wales against Australia

Australia coach Deans makes wholesale changes against Wales

TEAMS

Wallaby

Australia: Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW); Cooper Vuna (Melbourne Rebels), Rob Horne (NSW), Pat McCabe (ACT), Digby Ioane (Queensland); Berrick Barnes (NSW), Will Genia (Queensland); Benn Robinson (NSW), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW), Sekope Kepu (NSW), Rob Simmons (Queensland), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland), David Pocock (Western Force, capt), Wycliff Palu (NSW).

Replacements: Stephen Moore (ACT), Ben Alexander (ACT), Dave Dennis (NSW), Michael Hooper (ACT), Nic White (ACT), Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland), Mike Harris (Queensland).

Wales

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), George North (Scarlets); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons).

Replacements: Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Ashley Beck (Ospreys).

Scott Williams at 12, ken Owens hooker which is a great call , no Webb on bench though which is a bit gutting, Lloyd was awful against the Baa Baas thumbsdown

Tour Previews
http://www.v2journal.com/wales-summer-tour-preview.html
http://www.v2journal.com/australias-june-tests-preview.html

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:25 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : stickied)
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread Empty Re: Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:45 am

That is a much better side than what the Aussies put out against Scotland, Wales realy need to be up for it on Saturday or it could be a long day at the office. Crying or Very sad

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread Empty Re: Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:51 am

So do Aus, this is a very strong Welsh side OK
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:10 am

munkian wrote:no Webb on bench though which is a bit gutting, Lloyd was awful against the Baa Baas thumbsdown

My heart was in my mouth every time Lloyd Williams box-kicked. He's asking to be charged down. Hope Howley's had a word.

I was hoping to see Ashley Beck at inside centre, but Scott Williams is a tidy player himself.

The pack looks very strong - but how come Alun Wyn's on the bench? Isn't he supposed to be at a wedding?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:16 am

I'm happy with that selection.

Wedding was last weekend it just meant he could not fly out the same time as the rest of the squad.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:17 am

Ah, I see. I'm glad to see him there, he's been in fine form recently.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:42 am

It looks like a better squad for OZ, but I think they lose a hell of a lot on attack.
Wales will be smiling about that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:46 am

Have England named their side to face the 'Boks yet?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:48 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Have England named their side to face the 'Boks yet?

Yup - they have Foden on the wing and Brown at FB

by biltongbek Today at 8:42 am

It looks like a better squad for OZ, but I think they lose a hell of a lot on attack.
Wales will be smiling about that.

I am Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:49 am

Hmm. There's nothing on the BBC website about it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:50 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Have England named their side to face the 'Boks yet?

Yes, I saw someone post it on the matchday thread, but no full report that I can find that includes the whole matchday 22
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:55 am

Vuna on standby for Tomane

Australia are facing an anxious wait over the fitness of Joe Tomane after the finisher rolled his left ankle in a training ground mishap on Thursday.

Tomane, who made his international debut in defeat to Scotland on Tuesday, sustained the injury in training and was sent to have scans.

Should he not recover in time for the Test against Wales on Saturday, Rebels wing Cooper Vuna is set to take Tomane's place at Suncorp Stadium.

Is this a big loss for Aus ? Hard to tell anyone's form from 'that' game
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:02 am

Pretty exciting in build up.

The ozzies may have a number of injuries but that is still a very good side. Wales will have to be at their very best to win this.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:14 am

Can't wait now. Should be a cracker!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:16 am

We have had plenty of very close games cs the wallabies. A great team I have a lot of respect for. Should be a cracker as you say LP.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:24 am

One thing I hope we've prepared for in training is little grubbers and chip kicks. It surprised me that only Owen Farrell really tried this against us in the Six Nations. You can bet the Wallabies will be putting a few little kicks in behind our midfield defensive line, they're always such a clever side.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:25 am

Nathan Sharpe is 36 and played a full game on Tuesday, but we haven't picked a reserve lock, we've picked two centres. The two locks we've picked are lineout locks, and the two bench backrows are lighter. Then two centres on the bench and an out of form one starting. I can't say I understand this team.

just on radio Joe Tomane is out. Cooper Vuna in.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:31 am

Booma mate, I still think that is a quality starting pack. Genia is one of the best in the business, the back three are fast and there are plenty of quality ball carriers.

I don't think anyone will underestimate the Bazzers spirit...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:35 am

I wish this game was on at 8am to get it out the way Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:35 am

It's asking a lot of Sharpe in such a short turnaround time.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

No great surprises. I really hope Beck gets some game time at any point in the match though. Dere 'mlaen Cymru! Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread 3933776953 Fingers Crossed

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:47 am

Just looking at the regional breakdown of the team, tut tut tut, Its about time the Ospreys start developing players for the national side. They only have 1 in the starting 15!!!! Disgraceful Laugh

To be honest thats a pretty good Welsh side, I am not too sure about Beck being on the bench. IMO he should start instead of Williams or Davies (as both have been out injured). Also not too sure about the ballence on the bench, with two centres in Hook and Beck. I guess there must be question marks about Foxy and Scott's fitness.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:48 am

Much stronger squad from Aus but will they have time to gell as a team? Wales pretty much as expected.

Don't think I've ever thought of Wales as having a better chance to win a match down under and genuinely thought they should be able to do it.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:08 am

Hook is a utility back - he's there to cover centre,10 and fullback if necessary. Ryan is on brilliant form and covers lock and back row very abley.

My only concern is the cover for 9, Webb is the inform Welsh number 9 after Phillips.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

Webb has been in much better form than williams all season. he should defo have made the bench.
Im gutted im missing this game due to work commitments, dont get home until 6.30 so debating on blocking myself off from tv, radio and internet and watching the full match on s4c at 9pm
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

Really hope Wales do a number on this lot. It always gets thrown around that Edinburgh have a terrible defence on the Pro12 boards in these forums.

If a Scottish backline consisiting of Edinburgh players by the majority can hold the Ozzies out I can't imagine the Welsh giants will struggle too much to contain them.

Scotland showed that if you can shut the Ozzies out they get desperate and panicky, If Wales can do the same they'll win the test match and the series.

All the best boyos!

Wales
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

Good luck, Miner!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:25 am

That is the most er "direct" Aussie midfield in years, two bosh merchants. Though if they get quick ball ...

Here's my "Aussie" (Linebreaker was tied up with real, paid work this week so following standard Aussie practice we've imported a Kiwi to fill the gap Wink ) preview on the v2Journal: http://www.v2journal.com/australias-june-tests-preview.html

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:30 am

munkian wrote:My only concern is the cover for 9, Webb is the inform Welsh number 9 after Phillips.

I agree. Williams was poor on Saturday - was outplayed by Ritchie Rees.

Overall very pleased with the selection. I thinks that's our best 15 available with some in form players on the bench.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:34 am

It's not our best 15 available. I can sort of understand the midfield selection, but Ashley Beck has been the best inside centre in Wales by some distance. I think we've missed a trick not starting with him. We should be bold.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:37 am

I would have liked to have seen Beck start.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

You've got to feel for Deans and the Aussies, it isn't the best time for them to be playing a big, physical side. I'm sure they have other ideas though. Can't wait for saturday now. I'll have some U20s action to warm me up first though Smile.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:52 am

Morgannwg wrote:You've got to feel for Deans and the Aussies, it isn't the best time for them to be playing a big, physical side.

....................Nah.

I may allow myself to feel a little sorry for them after the game...just a little.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Islingtonv2 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:52 am

Lineout and Warburton are the key for me. If wales can get parity or even ascendancy at lineout then Oz will literally have no ball to work with since their scrum will likely get mullered. They will then be relying on turnovers at the breakdown. If Warburton (and the rest of the pack) can nullify Pocock then i can't see how they can get any possession or territory at all. And this Oz backline lacks the stardust to win without at least a reasonable platform.

Good luck Wales - here's at least one Englishman supporting you thumbsup

Islingtonv2

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:54 am

Morgannwg wrote: I'll have some U20s action to warm me up first though Smile.

Lucky you, but no need to boast like that Wink
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:55 am

Islingtonv2 Ale

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:35 am

We have to be ruthless in this series. No point in saying ah but it wasn't the best Aussie side. Rarely can two sides put out their first team sides, Wales haven't. Its pay back time and we really need to lay a marker down in this first game.

As much as I would have liked to see Beck at 12 I can understand why they've gone with Williams. He's been in the set up longer and has a good partnership with JD2 for Scarlets and for Wales, no surprise there.

Nice to see Owens finally take that 1st team hooker spot. He's been a fantastic player all season and during the 6N. Won't be long either until Hibbard is number 2, he's very strong around the field and in the scrum.

Looking forward to the first test, its a must win for both sides imo.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:46 am

martyr_94 wrote:As much as I would have liked to see Beck at 12 I can understand why they've gone with Williams. He's been in the set up longer and has a good partnership with JD2 for Scarlets and for Wales, no surprise there.

Forigve me if I'm wrong, but didn't Scott Williams and JD2 play together for Wales before they'd ever played together for the Scarlets? They've had game time together since then, but we're not talking about a tried-and-tested midfield partnership here. We should have been bold and gone for Beck.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:49 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:As much as I would have liked to see Beck at 12 I can understand why they've gone with Williams. He's been in the set up longer and has a good partnership with JD2 for Scarlets and for Wales, no surprise there.

Forigve me if I'm wrong, but didn't Scott Williams and JD2 play together for Wales before they'd ever played together for the Scarlets? They've had game time together since then, but we're not talking about a tried-and-tested midfield partnership here. We should have been bold and gone for Beck.

I'm not sure, you could well be right. I'm on the same page as you though, yesterday I was hoping to see Beck at 12, he's the form centre in the NH for me, and oozes class and will be a big player for Wales in the future. On the other hand, I'm not that surprised with the selection and at least Beck is on the bench.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:55 am

I hope he gets some game time at least.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

Any chance of updating the OPs with ref, linesmen, expected weather, location crowd size etc and any other facts/factors?

Or make it a Match Day programme thread that only contains facts ?

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

http://www.bing.com/weather/search?q=WEATHER%20IN%20BRISBANE&unit=C&qpvt=WEATHER+IN+BRISBANE&FORM=DTPWEA

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

Strong Welsh bench too. You'll never have a better chance to beat the criminal element than this. Come on the lads. Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread 1347041234

Dare I suggest that Wales may even be favourites? Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:00 pm

Team as expected, my biggest concern is the bench players have the most game time over the last 4/5 weeks, only Adam and maybe Phillips has played recently. Warburton, has he played a complete game since the start of the 6N and we have no 7 on the bench to compete with Pocock? I agree with others Webb should be on the bench.

Could be a close game if Wales are not under cooked. I expect a lot of up and unders for Halfpenny to take!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:12 pm

I still would have liked a 5/2 split on the bench to bring on Jones, Jones and Tipuric at 60minutes.

Still, its good to see Beck get a chance off the bench.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:17 pm

Seems to be a lot of underestimating the Aussies.

If Wales had three or four injuries as the wallabies do would we really feel that under strength?

We had eight players unavailable vs Ireland in Dublin this year and matched them evenly, won the game at the end too..!

I think this team are definitely capable of playing some good rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:27 pm

I for one am not underestimating Australia or any other first class side.
But at the same time I'm not going to hide the fact that I have belief in this Welsh side that we can continue to grow.
I never had that belief in 2005 or 2008 because I knew we lacked any serious depth but these days we can make changes and still have a good side plus bench.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It's not our best 15 available. I can sort of understand the midfield selection, but Ashley Beck has been the best inside centre in Wales by some distance. I think we've missed a trick not starting with him. We should be bold.

I would guess the idea is that with Preistland at 10, and Foxy at 13, Scott Williams fits in better due to the Scarlet connection, with North on the wing those boys are used to each other and should be able to make the most of any loose/turnover ball.

I wouldn't be too suprised to see Hook on at fly half and Beck at inside centre with 10-25 mins of the break though.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:41 pm

You just wanted to point out how many Scarlets there are in the backs, didn't you? Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:57 pm

Well the Scarlets have had a fancy backline.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next