The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Winger in the World

+37
wales606
damage_13
ChequeredJersey
EnglishReign
Shifty
emack2
fa0019
Hookisms and Hyperbole
geoff999rugby
Barney McGrew did it
mystiroakey
Knowsit17
Bathite
Taylorman
whocares
geoff998rugby
George Carlin
thebluesmancometh
kiakahaaotearoa
HERSH
jeffwinger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
RubyGuby
Comfort
beshocked
belovedfrosties
rugbyfan
marty2086
Liam
bluestonevedder
Biltong
Geordie
dallym
thomh
blackcanelion
Looseheaded
anotherworldofpain
41 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Best Winger in the World Empty Best Winger in the World

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 27 May 2012, 11:39 pm

So today I couldn't make it to go to Twickenham again because already I am a little bit wearsome of always the tube break down and train have "signal failure". So I stay home in the garden and watching on TV the barbarians play my new country of England.

And again I hear commentators mention that Chris Ashton is the best winger in the world and he prove today by score three more tries.

It is some good entertainment to watching the open game like this but I doubting that this kind of match up prove anything and maybe this commentator get a bit sun on his head.

Who agree with me about it?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Best Winger in the World Empty Re: Best Winger in the World

Post by Looseheaded Sun 27 May 2012, 11:46 pm

I completely agree GG

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 27 May 2012, 11:48 pm

One question that I am riddle about is this expression "GG". A lot of poster make ending the sentence reply with it.

What it means? I am ponder on Good Grief from Charlie Brown or something similar. But I check the google and still can't finding the answer.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 12:02 am

Mmm, interesting Erm

Can this claim be backed up with facts? They never can, it's just one man's view over another. Ashton ain't my cuppa, but many probably do think he is the 'worlds best'. I'd be to scared he was going to break his back if he was in my team.

GG means 'gods gift' to 606v2 thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 28 May 2012, 12:03 am

Oh thank you for this explain. For me you are GG to do this EBOP!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 28 May 2012, 12:34 am

I ask myself would he be an automatic selection on the wing for any other side? I'm not sure he would.

For instance: Would he be an automatic wing selection for the All Blacks. I doubt it. We rend to play one multi skilled player (e.g. Corey Jane) and at least one runner (e.g. Hosea Gear). I'm not sure he'd make the side given the depth we still have in wings.

Another thought: Would he be an automatic choice for the Lions. Would you pick him above the Welsh and Irish wings, or the Dutchman. Would another pom beat t5o the position.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon 28 May 2012, 1:33 am

Could people in future please not wilfully misinterpret what commentators have said.

IIRC Barnes said that in Autumn 2010 Ashton was in such good form that he considered him the best in the world at that time, and that it was good to see signs that he was getting back to that form. At no point did he describe Ashton as the current best in the world.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 28 May 2012, 2:27 am

You've just gone and destroyed a perfectly good thread..................

thomh wrote:Could people in future please not wilfully misinterpret what commentators have said.

IIRC Barnes said that in Autumn 2010 Ashton was in such good form that he considered him the best in the world at that time, and that it was good to see signs that he was getting back to that form. At no point did he describe Ashton as the current best in the world.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Mon 28 May 2012, 2:51 am

so who is the best winger in the world? Habana, Digby or someone from the Northern Hemisphere? How do we rate Onozawa from Japan who has just got past 50 tries -just an average player who scores often due to playing mediocre sides?

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 28 May 2012, 7:55 am

thomh wrote:Could people in future please not wilfully misinterpret what commentators have said.

He say (quote transcribed) "In Autum 2010 Chris Aston was universally regarded as the best winger in the world. Today he has shown he is back in similar form. If he can reproduce this form in South Africa he will unquestionably be considered in that regard again."

Except he don't really use the sentences there. I just put that in a bit like some good grammaticar for writing. Commentary was more wistfulish and continuing on. But I don't know or is it right to put "..." elipses in there by make way of the full stops because then is imply I remove some wordings. Is it correct?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 28 May 2012, 9:57 am

On form with a good fly half Ashton is a try scorer. He runs fantastic lines....and his support play is excellent. Hes not the best winger in the world...but he is up there...as one of them....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 28 May 2012, 9:59 am

Well he has pace, you give any player with pace enough space and he'll be a try scorer.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 28 May 2012, 10:03 am

Not if they have no idea of running the right lines or being in the right support position. He. Reads the game well

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 28 May 2012, 10:07 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:On form with a good fly half Ashton is a try scorer. He runs fantastic lines....and his support play is excellent. Hes not the best winger in the world...but he is up there...as one of them....

thumbsup

Completely agree. People give him so much abuse because apparently all he does is 'receive a pass and run straight', but these people are obviously very narrow minded. Ashton's game revolves around his work off the ball, and getting himself into the right position to shred apart a defence. His work rate off the ball is phenomenal and he doesn't receive enough credit for that.

Sure, he's not the best in the world by a long way probably, but he does what is required of him to a very high standard.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon 28 May 2012, 10:37 am

Ok apologies if I misremembered, but I was pretty sure that he was talking about his own opinion.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 10:59 am

Reckon Digby Ioane is class, wouldnt mind if he was born in nz Whistle

I remember seeing a lot of hype around Ashton, but when I saw him play, I couldn't see why but maybe it was just the game I watched. There must be something there and I'm sure he's not just the guy that does that funny dive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 28 May 2012, 11:10 am

Ashton is one of these players that people have decided they just dont like...ans I think its more about his perceived arrogance or personality...than his ability.

He's by no means my favorite player...but if he can continue scoring the tries for England then he'll do for me...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 28 May 2012, 11:36 am

I agree with Digby. North will be up there in a few more seasons along with Cuthbert.

Can't knock Ashton with his try scoring abilty, all be it allot of the teams he scores the most tries against are against the minows (4 vs Italy) but a try is a try, however, he is nowhere near the best winger in the world.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 28 May 2012, 11:48 am

Ashton runs great lines and theres a lot of players who can learn a thing or two from him but he is reliant on others creating the oppurtunity players like Nacewa at times create something out of nothing which is something he needs to do more of as he has the ability

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyfan Mon 28 May 2012, 12:05 pm

Ashton's certainly not among the top wingers when it somes to beating a defender one-on-one, but he's definately in the top handful for workrate and being able to read a game and sense when a half break might happen.

Would he get into the NZ team? Probably not. Although I actually think he'd score a hat full of tries being able to feed off the half breaks of Nonu, SBW and others!

rugbyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Mon 28 May 2012, 12:13 pm

martyr_94 many people on here have said that he only scores against the minnows. Someone actually took the time to work out percentages of tries scored against top tier teams and the tri nations. If memory serves he has a higher percentage of tries scored against 3N teams than one Shane Williams and is only behind either Campo or Kirwan in that regard.

Its obvious that good wingers will score more against poorer quality but people seem to make out that this is the only time he scores tries, which frankly isnt true. Geordie is right when he points out that people have decided to dislike him and so will not give him any credit and constantly belittle his achievements.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 May 2012, 12:20 pm

I don't know why Quins didn't snap up Ashton. Could do with a high class winger to partner Monye and Brown in the back three.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 28 May 2012, 12:41 pm

Ashtons a good test standard winger, but a long way from being "the best winger in the world".

Hes a good test winger who will do very well if theirs a smart midfield who can distribute. He has searing pace and theres not really anyone in England you'd want to have hands on the ball more to finish an opportunity. His defense isnt a strong point.

In the world scheme of things, he'd struggle to make it into the current top 10 imo.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 May 2012, 1:11 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:So today I couldn't make it to go to Twickenham again because already I am a little bit wearsome of always the tube break down and train have "signal failure". So I stay home in the garden and watching on TV the barbarians play my new country of England.

And again I hear commentators mention that Chris Ashton is the best winger in the world and he prove today by score three more tries.

It is some good entertainment to watching the open game like this but I doubting that this kind of match up prove anything and maybe this commentator get a bit sun on his head.

Who agree with me about it?

I think the commentator said he's the best whinger in the world mate thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 28 May 2012, 1:13 pm

Ashton may struggle at Saracens next season when he doesnt have the like of Dickson and Foden opening the game up for him

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 28 May 2012, 1:17 pm

My mind is he would benefit from season witn England 7s to learn about working rate, positional and one on one tackler in defending mode.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 28 May 2012, 1:31 pm

He scored more than Shane Williams did at the weekend, hes more better

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Mon 28 May 2012, 1:42 pm

Ashton is not the greatest one on one finisher in the 5 metre channel but he can certainly beat a man with some space, remember how he made Drew Mitchell look a bit silly when scoring 'that try'. And to say he cannot create something from nothing is plain incorrect. How many times has he turned innocuous looking half breaks into tries? He created Wigglesworth's try in the BaaBaa's game and would have finished that move as well if Wigglesworth had fixed the man and passed rather than stepping inside. That was something from nothing. There was a try last year against London Irish in the league where he picked it up from deep, arced around a few players, exchanged a few passes then flew off up the opposite wing to score. He is probably the most potent finisher in the world.

He might struggle at Saracens if he gets no service, but equally he could add a new dimension to their game, feeding off breaks made by guys like Brits and Joubert. He should also link up well with Goode, we saw some of Goode's skills yesterday in creating space for Wade and Joseph.

If I were selecting a World XV with everyone on their best relatively recent form I would be have Digby Ioane on the left wing and would struggle to choose between Ashton and Cory Jane on the right wing.

I know some have issues with his personality for whatever reason, but people who criticise him as a player have short memories. In 2011 he set the joint record for most tries in an individual 6N tournament and was joint top try scorer in the World Cup, despite playing in a bad side who were eliminated relatively early.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 28 May 2012, 2:15 pm

Ashtons going to struggle to make the starting lions squad imo. He should definitely be touring though (form/injury dependant of course).

how he could be considered as one of the best in the world is baffling, again imo. its all subjective depending on what you're looking for.

hes a very good winger at club level, and has the ability and potential to be a very good test winger for England, as he gets more understanding in union he'll improve. He'll also improve his defence at sarries, thats one thing they wont tolerate to be fair, everyone puts in their defensive shift.

Hes been hot and cold for england though, as he does seem to be at his best with a creative midfield which england have been lacking for a while now. Hes capable of creating for himself, no question, but again, thats too inconsistent to be considered anywhere near the top of the tree at world level.

he can come across badly on the pitch but ive never seen him come across as anything but a gent in his interviews to be fair to him.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 May 2012, 2:24 pm

North, Bowe, Cuthbert, Visser, Nacewa are all better than Ashton IMO and that's before we look at the french and SH wingers - Its all pretty subjective but when I heard Barnes say best in the world!!! I thought what the feck is he on about and that comment against a pourous Baa Baas back line - Strange comment indeed, the guy was anonomous in the 6 Nations and some english fans were calling for him to be dropped. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 May 2012, 2:49 pm

Bloody hell the deity Visser seems to appear in every article about wingers.

Surprised it took so long for Visser to be named actually.

North - sure,Bowe- sure,Cuthbert - debatable, Nacewa -difficult as he's got no international form.

Visser? On what grounds? He has no international form to speak of.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 28 May 2012, 2:55 pm

beshocked, ive learnt you're not allowed to question visser's dominance at test level on this forum. warning

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 28 May 2012, 3:02 pm

Show me a world class winger and I'll show you one or maybe two world class centres!

Winger is a hard position to judge IMO, most wingers at some point of their career will look unstoppable until another guy comes along whose better.

I'd still rate Shane above Ashton as more often or not he makes an impact.

North also looks good but I can’t see him staying a winger over the course of his career, I am surprised to see people say Cuthbert is a world class winger! Not in a month of Sundays.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 28 May 2012, 3:02 pm

Apparently he is the second coming Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Mon 28 May 2012, 3:04 pm

It does seem that way Comfort. Some are very defensive of the new Scottish saviour that is Tim Visser. It's not as though there's been similar comments about brilliant attacking threats coming into the Scottish team in the past...

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 May 2012, 3:07 pm

Hersh it's actually all about consistency and adaptability in my opinion as people eventually work player's out/target them.

Ashton's international strike rate is good. You can say he scores a lot of tries vs minnows but which wingers don't.

You mention ickle Shane. It's tough to say whether he's better but he's a big game player who rises to the occasion. Been around for ages now but still can put in a good shift. Someone like BOD is similar.

Both world class players who have proved themselves time and again.

Ashton is not yet on their level but he might get there.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 May 2012, 3:10 pm

I'm a welshman, you might not have noticed, and Tim Visser is a monster of a winger - I would expect him and North to be the Lions wingers. If someone can't judge a player because he has not played international rugby then that's their perogative, this guy is John Kirwan incarnate and Kirwan for me was one of the most destructive wingers in world rugby. I guess the rest of you will just have to wait and watch for Visser to enter the field of international rugby. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 28 May 2012, 3:11 pm

I think the Aussies have abundant class in this area. JOC if you play him there, Ioane, Mitchell and now it seems this Kiwi-born / Tongan origins Cooper Vuna. I think they have a lot of depth in this area.

NZ has depth but it seems it will be tested against the Irish as Jane and Kahui are out and we might have Gear and Savea who both are strong runners. Jane is a bit like Thorn - not the automatic choice for best in his position - but though I'd welcome Ioane with open arms into the team I think Jane is so reliable he's worth having in your team much like Conrad Smith.

SA have a lot of depth too but often use their wingers as chasers rather than as players released inside or on the touchline.

Wales and Ireland look pretty handy in this area and England undoubtedly have a man in Ashton who can score tries but he has yet to learn the task of scoring tries in the big games.

So I'd vote for Ioane based on the fact he is a winger that looks dangerous with every touch of the ball.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 28 May 2012, 3:11 pm

Ashton goes missing far too often for my likening
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 May 2012, 3:13 pm

HERSH wrote:Ashton goes missing far too often for my likening

And you can cut those sensible posts right now mate or I'll get the MODS on you - It just aint right kiss

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 28 May 2012, 3:15 pm

Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 28 May 2012, 3:17 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I think the Aussies have abundant class in this area. JOC if you play him there, Ioane, Mitchell and now it seems this Kiwi-born / Tongan origins Cooper Vuna. I think they have a lot of depth in this area.

NZ has depth but it seems it will be tested against the Irish as Jane and Kahui are out and we might have Gear and Savea who both are strong runners. Jane is a bit like Thorn - not the automatic choice for best in his position - but though I'd welcome Ioane with open arms into the team I think Jane is so reliable he's worth having in your team much like Conrad Smith.

SA have a lot of depth too but often use their wingers as chasers rather than as players released inside or on the touchline.

Wales and Ireland look pretty handy in this area and England undoubtedly have a man in Ashton who can score tries but he has yet to learn the task of scoring tries in the big games.

So I'd vote for Ioane based on the fact he is a winger that looks dangerous with every touch of the ball.

Kia to be fair, no one really knows if we have good wingers or not.Best Winger in the World Roflbl10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 May 2012, 3:17 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I'm a welshman, you might not have noticed, and Tim Visser is a monster of a winger - I would expect him and North to be the Lions wingers. If someone can't judge a player because he has not played international rugby then that's their perogative, this guy is John Kirwan incarnate and Kirwan for me was one of the most destructive wingers in world rugby. I guess the rest of you will just have to wait and watch for Visser to enter the field of international rugby. thumbsup

The worrying thing is that I can't tell if you're joking or not.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 28 May 2012, 3:20 pm

Ruby

Visser is a great finisher, but he can be exploited when turned. He has to up his defence for the international stage!

Also why is the OP using google translator to translate english to another language then back again to sound foreign? Who is it really?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 May 2012, 3:23 pm

RubyGuby wrote:North, Bowe, Cuthbert, Visser, Nacewa are all better than Ashton IMO and that's before we look at the french and SH wingers - Its all pretty subjective but when I heard Barnes say best in the world!!! I thought what the feck is he on about and that comment against a pourous Baa Baas back line - Strange comment indeed, the guy was anonomous in the 6 Nations and some english fans were calling for him to be dropped. thumbsup
Let me add a few from the Top 14 - I wouldn't say Ashton is better than Nagusa (whom I think is the best in the NH along with Bowe, Williams and North), Huget, Malzieu or Medard and whilst his tracking is great, he isn't as quick as guys like Ngwenya or Tekori.

Can we please reign in the generalisations a little bit? Ashton simply has not replicated the form of last season and that is an unfortunate fact. Could he get his form back? Of course. Will he? Headscratch Probably not in time for the summer internationals. He wouldn't be my first name on the team sheet.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 28 May 2012, 3:23 pm

Like I said to you the other day Biltong, we'd gladly take Habana to test that theory out. So much pace it's a crime he doesn't get to show it running off a pass into space.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 May 2012, 3:24 pm

I agree he is a bit like George North in defense but he is a truck and trailer in attack and I think he's the real deal and will get better with international exposure. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 28 May 2012, 3:26 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Like I said to you the other day Biltong, we'd gladly take Habana to test that theory out. So much pace it's a crime he doesn't get to show it running off a pass into space.

The contracts were ready, but...Best Winger in the World Innoce10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 28 May 2012, 3:29 pm

I agree mate! He will get better and I cannot wait to see him in a Scotland shirt, he's Bowe but a touch quicker and more aggressive, plus he loves to put it about a bit. Not quite as rounded as Bowe though.

I'd say North has a slight defencive weakness in that he knows he's quicker and stronger than most, so he gives the opposition more of a chance than they should have, but he is definately not weak. He is however a teenager learning the game so I will give him that.

My favourite wings have to be North, Ioane, and Malzieu, very exciting when they get half a sniff all 3!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 28 May 2012, 3:30 pm

Ruby, Visser looks a very good winger, at club level.

Test level is a different animal like it or not, I imagine he'll do well at test level, but proclaiming him as the next Kirwan is way OTT for me.

I'll wait to see how he does against test backlines before giving him the player of the year award though Whistle

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next