The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Ranked Fighter from the Isles in 3 Years

+11
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
azania
Soldier_Of_Fortune
bellchees
Rowley
Imperial Ghosty
manos de piedra
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Seanusarrilius
88Chris05
Steffan
15 posters

Go down

Top Ranked Fighter from the Isles in 3 Years Empty Top Ranked Fighter from the Isles in 3 Years

Post by Steffan Wed 23 May 2012, 5:19 pm

Lots of talk on here at the moment of Brook needing to step up, Cleverly needing to really step up, Price being the next big thing, Fury just being big, Froch on his way out while fighters like Frampton, Groves and Degale are coming through the ranks. The questions is though...who in 3 years time will be the top rated fighter from the UK & EIRE. I still think it will be Khan personally but other people have been quite sceptical of his ability at the top so who will be the main man from the Isles in 3 years time?

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Top Ranked Fighter from the Isles in 3 Years Empty Re: Top Ranked Fighter from the Isles in 3 Years

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 May 2012, 5:25 pm

Khan still seems the most sensible choice for me too, Steffan. I can understand people plumping for Brook, mind you, but a lot of that is based on what people think he may be able to do, rather than what they've seen, I believe.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Top Ranked Fighter from the Isles in 3 Years Empty Re: Top Ranked Fighter from the Isles in 3 Years

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 23 May 2012, 5:29 pm

Brook for me. In three years he will be primed and taking on all comers

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 23 May 2012, 5:31 pm

I think it's impossible to answer these questions

Logically imo
1.) Khan
2.) Brook
3.) Price

It's too hard as it comes down to quality of opposition, manner of victory and losses. We have no idea who these people will fight I've ethe next 3 years. What if price gets hit flush and goes down? Khan gets beat by brook? Cleverly faces no-bodies?

Price won't make top 3 unless he's a champ and if he beats a K Bro he should be #1

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 23 May 2012, 5:32 pm

Probably Price. The conditions seem most favourable for him. In 3 years he could be in or around his best. The Klitschkos will probably be gone or badly faded and outside of them the division will be completely open to a new heir.

I can easily see Khan and Brook picking up losses in the coming few years given whats in or around that division even without Mayweather/Pacquiao.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 23 May 2012, 5:33 pm

Find it hard to envisage Price being that highly ranked in a pound for pound sense unless he beats one of the brothers which seems unlikely at the moment.

1. Khan
2. Brook
3. Mitchell

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 23 May 2012, 5:34 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Probably Price. The conditions seem most favourable for him. In 3 years he could be in or around his best. The Klitschkos will probably be gone or badly faded and outside of them the division will be completely open to a new heir.

I can easily see Khan and Brook picking up losses in the coming few years given whats in or around that division even without Mayweather/Pacquiao.

Good argument for Price that, got me thinking.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 May 2012, 5:37 pm

So difficult to call because I have to think the next 2 years will contain a Mayweather fight for Khan and can't see anything other than a loss for him in that one, no shame in that but will mean a rebuilding exercise which could mean he is not really anywhere special ranking wise. Would fully expect Brook to pick up belts but can Hearn deliver the fights to really get him into P4P rankings? Hard to know.

Am loath to say Price because reads a bit like i have feel hook line and sinker for Sky's ongoing hype/hypnotism but as manos has rightly said the division is likely to open up for him soon.

As an outsider and opening myself up for dogs abuse Cleverly could be an outsider, he is not as poor as many would have you believe on here and in Warren he has a guy who is masterful at letting guys off the leash at just the right time. Hopkins will obviously be gone, if Warren gets things right and Nathan keeps busy stranger things have happened.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 23 May 2012, 5:57 pm

Very hard to say. I can't see two guys from around the same weight division both being rated highly. It would make sense that if two Brits both knocking on the door of the top 10 p4p ratings and operate in the same division would fight each other and that would mean one would take a defeat and a step backwards. On that basis I think Brook will be better than Khan if he gets his chance to shine. Price to clear up whatever mess the heavyweights are in post Klitschko retirement. Also I think Groves can do the business and make a name for himself at Supermiddle and Light Heavyweight ahead of Cleverly. Would be smart to stay well clear of Ward though.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 24 May 2012, 1:23 pm

rowley wrote:So difficult to call because I have to think the next 2 years will contain a Mayweather fight for Khan and can't see anything other than a loss for him in that one, no shame in that but will mean a rebuilding exercise which could mean he is not really anywhere special ranking wise. Would fully expect Brook to pick up belts but can Hearn deliver the fights to really get him into P4P rankings? Hard to know.

Am loath to say Price because reads a bit like i have feel hook line and sinker for Sky's ongoing hype/hypnotism but as manos has rightly said the division is likely to open up for him soon.

As an outsider and opening myself up for dogs abuse Cleverly could be an outsider, he is not as poor as many would have you believe on here and in Warren he has a guy who is masterful at letting guys off the leash at just the right time. Hopkins will obviously be gone, if Warren gets things right and Nathan keeps busy stranger things have happened.

I don't think Cleverly's skills have been the question, he just seems to have stagnated a bit and needs to now fight an live opponant again to get him back in the lime light.

The is a few fighters out there who would jump at the chance of fighting him

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 May 2012, 1:28 pm

I reckon DeGale will be the top dog. Khan would have retired or more likely been retired in 3 years. Brook will hold and lose a belt (to Khan) and Cleverly will be fighting boxers ranker between 30-60 and claiming he's searching for a unification fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 24 May 2012, 1:49 pm

I'm with Az it's DeGold for me. He takes unfair stick because people don't like him. Just like with Khan a lot of people judge him as a person and not a fighter.

He's had 13 fights and lost one in a very close decision to another top prospect in Groves. He's European champion. Carl Frochs 13th fight was against Mark Woolonough for the commonwealth strap. DeGale is doing very good.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 24 May 2012, 4:51 pm

i can actually see brook winning his eliminator and picking up the IBF in next 6 months. depends on his opposition after that, however the hearns dont seem shy of a tough fight (barker vs martinez), whether they have the same approach once they have a champion is yet to be seen.

if chisora beats haye and sorts his licence out the he could be back up there. he would well be within his rights to ask for a rematch with helenius- and those to wins would put him ahead of price for me.

also richard towers is a bit of a dark horse, if he has any serious boxing ambitions id expect him to step up his opposition in the next 12 months and we'll see what he can do.

chris eubank jr is coming on at a fast pace, again to soon to say but he has looked very impressive.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 24 May 2012, 5:13 pm

azania wrote:I reckon DeGale will be the top dog. Khan would have retired or more likely been retired in 3 years. Brook will hold and lose a belt (to Khan) and Cleverly will be fighting boxers ranker between 30-60 and claiming he's searching for a unification fight.

How dare you Az!!!! With comments like that, you must be an evil internet troll.....apparantly Rolling Eyes

He will probably still be asking Hopkins to come to Cardiff for a "Massive" fight. Even though Hopkins will be in his 50's. But its the fight that the world wants to see................again, apparantly Rolling Eyes

I agree with DeGale ONLY if he sticks to his boxing (for now), the trash talking can come when he is an elite/experienced operator. He done well in his last fight, not only by winning in style, but in keeping that trap shut.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Thu 24 May 2012, 5:39 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
azania wrote:I reckon DeGale will be the top dog. Khan would have retired or more likely been retired in 3 years. Brook will hold and lose a belt (to Khan) and Cleverly will be fighting boxers ranker between 30-60 and claiming he's searching for a unification fight.

How dare you Az!!!! With comments like that, you must be an evil internet troll.....apparantly Rolling Eyes

He will probably still be asking Hopkins to come to Cardiff for a "Massive" fight. Even though Hopkins will be in his 50's. But its the fight that the world wants to see................again, apparantly Rolling Eyes

I agree with DeGale ONLY if he sticks to his boxing (for now), the trash talking can come when he is an elite/experienced operator. He done well in his last fight, not only by winning in style, but in keeping that trap shut.

DeGale needs to change his trainer, his style is not suited to Jim McD, to have a man saying listen and very little else in-between rounds will not help any fighter to adapt.

He should have won the groves fight, seemed not to have plan a let alone b,c or d. I am all for the Mayweather I come in with no game plan approach but, only when you know how to deal with all comers.

He has all the skill needed to be the best we have but it needs to be nurtured better than it is, in summation, Jim McD and Warren disputes aside he could or should be up there.
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 24 May 2012, 5:46 pm

The thing is in 3 years floyd, manny, vitali and maybe Wlad will be out of the game. Khan, brook, price etc will be against good fighters like Ortiz, povetkin, Berto etc but will be favourites for there fights except for when/if brook faces khan meaning all 3 could be #1's of their respective divisions.

Degale has as much ability as the above mentioned but with the likes of ward, Dawson, Bute etc I can't see him being the top guy of a division. Groves will also fight him between the next 3 years and although I think degale is better, groves being groves will probably be able to nick a win against him

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 May 2012, 7:49 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:The thing is in 3 years floyd, manny, vitali and maybe Wlad will be out of the game. Khan, brook, price etc will be against good fighters like Ortiz, povetkin, Berto etc but will be favourites for there fights except for when/if brook faces khan meaning all 3 could be #1's of their respective divisions.

Degale has as much ability as the above mentioned but with the likes of ward, Dawson, Bute etc I can't see him being the top guy of a division. Groves will also fight him between the next 3 years and although I think degale is better, groves being groves will probably be able to nick a win against him

Ward will be at LHW. Bute is getting on a bit. Agreed with your thoughts on Groves/JDG. Degale is the better boxer but Groves will always seem to be able to beat him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 24 May 2012, 7:59 pm

Frankie Gavin has the potential to surpass the above. Sadly, I doubt he will fulfil it. I hope i am proved wrong.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 24 May 2012, 8:09 pm

azania wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:The thing is in 3 years floyd, manny, vitali and maybe Wlad will be out of the game. Khan, brook, price etc will be against good fighters like Ortiz, povetkin, Berto etc but will be favourites for there fights except for when/if brook faces khan meaning all 3 could be #1's of their respective divisions.

Ward will be at LHW. Bute is getting on a bit. Agreed with your thoughts on Groves/JDG. Degale is the better boxer but Groves will always seem to be able to beat him.

Ward will jump between the weights as he is comfortable making both and will go to whoever is his biggest challenger. Degale might end up at 175 also as he has a pretty big frame. Bute is 30 i think but he's a pretty young 30 as bar Andrade he hasn't shipped hardly any punishment.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 May 2012, 8:26 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
azania wrote:

Ward will jump between the weights as he is comfortable making both and will go to whoever is his biggest challenger. Degale might end up at 175 also as he has a pretty big frame. Bute is 30 i think but he's a pretty young 30 as bar Andrade he hasn't shipped hardly any punishment.

Fluctuation between weights is not a good idea for Ward. It will weaken him if he moves up and down betwen LHW and CW.

Correct about Bute. He is probably still fresh.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 24 May 2012, 8:34 pm

You don't know though with fighters these days. He doesn't struggle with the 168 lb limit and like maywetaher stays at his ring weight during fights so can probably move with little problems

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 May 2012, 8:38 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:You don't know though with fighters these days. He doesn't struggle with the 168 lb limit and like maywetaher stays at his ring weight during fights so can probably move with little problems

Maybe so. Mayweather entered his last fight at 150. So he doesn't have to lose much to get back to WW. But should Ward enter his LHW fight at 175, I reckon he'll stay there.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down