The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attending a PGA Tour event

3 posters

Go down

Attending a PGA Tour event Empty Attending a PGA Tour event

Post by incontinentia Sat 19 May 2012, 2:23 pm

Hey folks,

I am travelling to Boston in August/September and thinking of taking in a day at the Deutsche Bank championship. Tickets seem reasonable enough, I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any experiences or advice regarding attending these events, things to look out for etc. Most importantly I suppose I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile day out, or whether huge crowds ruin the experience.

Thank you in advance,

Incontinentia.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Attending a PGA Tour event Empty Re: Attending a PGA Tour event

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 19 May 2012, 2:47 pm

incont,
Might be there myself!

Remember the Deutsche Bank runs Friday - Monday.

Because the Deutsche Bank will be grouped via FedEx positions, there'll be attractive golfers distributed all over the course on Friday and Saturday so crowds shouldn't be too bad except for the Woods group.

Not sure how walkable the course is, never been, but imagine you'd be able to follow a group for 18 morning holes and another for 18 in the p.m. - the less fashionable the golfers, the better the view! Alternatively, should be no problem camping out at a strategic vantage point.

In Boston, you'd imagine that Keegan Bradley and Woods would be the most popular, with plenty following Mickelson, McIlroy and Fowler.

I attend tournaments every year and usually go on Day 2 so mostly manage to avoid the yahoos who only turn up for weekend beverages. Invariably have great viewing opportunities - my preference is to select a threesome and just follow them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 19 May 2012, 3:43 pm

Thanks kwini,

Is that the comp that runs over the labour day weekend? Think I might go on day 2 aswell, before the cut. Not bothered about following Woods, have done so at couple of events here in Ireland and it's a real pain, what with the mob he attracts.

Maybe I'll shout "man sausage!" when he tees off, that would make Super's year!

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 19 May 2012, 3:51 pm

Yup, Day Two will be the Saturday - lots to play for, and the real story will be as much the guys who need to make the cut to avoid elimination!
Weather permitting, usually gorgeous in New England that time of year, should be a great day.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon 21 May 2012, 5:37 pm

A few specifics...

TPC Boston can be a tough course to follow a group... especially on the front nine. There are a few choke points and there a few LONG walks between holes. First long walk is to get out to #1 tee, then another one between holes 3-4 and the other between 7-8. If it were me... I would avoid the front nine all together except to maybe walk out to to #9 & #8 and come back in. One other front nine option would be to walk 1, 2 and 3 tee... then cut back across to 8 and come on in. (the cut across is marked) And just my opinion... but the #2 green complex and the two par-3's (#3 and #8) are the best holes on the front anyway. You can skip the loop #4-7 and not miss all that much as far as I'm concerned.

Assuming you're in good walking health, I would follow one morning group around the back nine, then another afternoon group on the back nine again. Your second loop will probably be more enjoyable because you'll know the correct places to be to get the best views.

Before, after and in between those two nines... I would check out the practice tees and greens, both which have GREAT viewing. Also the the Terrace... a concession pavilion open to all where you can watch other groups teeing off 17 and finishing on 18 (from a distance). And there's good hillside/mound seating right up to a lot of the greens when you need a rest or just want to just watch groups come through. If you don't like waking a lot, the area of 16 green, 17 tee, 18 green are all real close together to easily go back and forth and always be near concessions and restrooms.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 21 May 2012, 11:16 pm

Wow thanks for that robo, very useful. OK
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down