The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keegan Bradley to play Irish Open

+15
mystiroakey
JAS
kwinigolfer
Fader
robopz
Shotrock
GPB
Bob_the_Job
Diggers
Hibbz
navyblueshorts
super_realist
John Cregan
incontinentia
McLaren
19 posters

Go down

Keegan Bradley to play Irish Open Empty Keegan Bradley to play Irish Open

Post by McLaren Tue 08 May 2012, 12:45 pm

Keegan Bradley will play next months Irish Open citing his Irish heritage as a reason for signing up. Although I think the event is partly funded by the Republic of Ireland’s tourist board but held in NI (portrush). So not sure exactly what flavour of Irish Bradley is or what heritage he thinks he has. Not that it really matters.

The event on paper looks to have three of the current major champions but I can’t see the US open trophy sitting on McIlroys mantelpiece come the end of June. As for Clarke, can you really say he is major champion calibre with a straight face?

According to the European tour website this will be Bradley’s firs foray into Europe, so rather than honouring his Irish forefathers it is more likely he is making sure the open championship is not the first time he sets foot on a links course. If he were to take in a few more of the nation’s links courses while visiting the emerald isle there is every reason to suspect he will be an even stronger contender at Lytham this summer.

He is unfortunately suffering a slight dip in form including a missed cut at quail hollow, which has to be due to a very heavy early season schedule. Let’s hope he makes proper space in his schedule for this little jaunt otherwise he is destined for some serious burnout.

Finally, he had better show a little more grace than Bagdads very own Bubba did when visiting the newly communist France. (I doubt any American with France on their passport will get back into the USA now anyway? )
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Keegan Bradley to play Irish Open Empty Re: Keegan Bradley to play Irish Open

Post by incontinentia Tue 08 May 2012, 1:15 pm

Great to have Keegan play our national open. He is shaping up to be one of the top players of his generation.

By the way his ancestors are from Cork (South west).
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 08 May 2012, 1:16 pm

Mac,

A great coup. Bradley is a very exciting prospect and seems to me (despite some very negative comments on this board) to have a great respect for the game.

As for Clarke, not sure why you would be sniggering about him being a major winner?? That is a very odd statement. Clarke has spent many many years in the Worlds Top 50, has won a lot of tournaments, won 2 WGC's and played 5 or 6 Ryder Cups. He also played magnificent golf at Sandwich where he wasd able(better than anyone) to manipulate his ball in the poor conditions. He also responded to a super comeback from Phil Mickelson with a superb eagle and held up well to finish off the tournament....................

What other Major winners do you laugh at??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 May 2012, 1:26 pm

John

I just mean he is a current major champion in name only. His attendance will not improve the quality of the field in any way sadly, in fact it will damage it. He has been a great player in the past but is statistically the worst player ever to hold a major title. He has accumulated fewer OWGR points since his win than any other major winner ever.

I agree that Bradley seems an ok guy especially after he accepted he probably shouldn’t spit, accepted his errors and corrected them. What more can you ask for?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 May 2012, 1:29 pm

John

Just checked and clarke has only gained 6.67 points in 2012.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 08 May 2012, 1:47 pm

McLaren wrote: He has accumulated fewer OWGR points since his win than any other major winner ever.

Well considering he won it at the end of his career this isn't unusual. My guess is he felt satisfied after the Open and his motivation levels dropped, or maybe he is still not recovered from all the porter he drank.

Anyway I think he has a great chance at Portrush, he will be more motivated because it's in NI and on a great links course.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 08 May 2012, 2:02 pm

McLaren wrote:John

Typical Clarke, plays 10 poor tournaments followed by one or 2 good ones............as he's got older he's lost the great consistency he used have........the great thing about golf is that you don't have to be one of the worlds best 100 players to win a major..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 08 May 2012, 2:31 pm

Mac, Not every golfer is chasing Jacks seemingly unassailable record of major wins.
For players in the twilight of their career like Clarke, winning a major, especially as well as he did, is the absolute zenith of a career, perhaps he feels like he has nothing else to prove, no more ambitions to fulfill and no real enthusiasm to try and match that impossible high.

I see Clarke a bit like Ivanisevic when he won Wimbledon, a crowning moment that he didn't believe he could better. All ambitions realised.
Can't really blame either of them, even if personally I'd like to achieve more.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 08 May 2012, 2:34 pm

And? Clarke's paid his dues and was an exceptionally good player for some time - one of the few to stand toe-to-toe with TW for a bit when your deity was at his best. Can't say I blame him if he's lost motivation following his Open win.

As for Bradley and his "Irish roots" - piffle. Maybe everyone should play in Africa given the "out of Africa" theories about modern humanity. Good to have him playing but he's undoubtedly got one eye on The Open. Seems like a decent guy to me and looks like he's got a good future unless something unforeseen happens. Would be nice if more U.S.-based players left their shores a bit more often but understandable that they don't.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 08 May 2012, 2:43 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

And? Clarke's paid his dues and was an exceptionally good player for some time - one of the few to stand toe-to-toe with TW for a bit when your deity was at his best.

And, he's clearly been a poor player this year which is all McLaren is saying. Mac has also said he was a good player previously though I thinking standing toe-toe with Woods might be pushing it a bit. He beat him once in a matchplay comp to memory. Would you say Philip Price stood toe-to-toe with Mickelson?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 08 May 2012, 3:01 pm

Hibbz wrote:And, he's clearly been a poor player this year which is all McLaren is saying. Mac has also said he was a good player previously though I thinking standing toe-toe with Woods might be pushing it a bit. He beat him once in a matchplay comp to memory. Would you say Philip Price stood toe-to-toe with Mickelson?

True, he's been an also-ran this year. No question about that but I'd go along with S_R re. his motivation given he's achieved a life-long ambition. I'm pretty sure his WGC victories were at a time that TW was in his pomp; I didn't mean he'd consistently beaten TW one-on-one in the final group on a Sunday. I don't think Price is in the same bracket as Clarke do you?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 08 May 2012, 3:05 pm

super_realist wrote:Mac, Not every golfer is chasing Jacks seemingly unassailable record of major wins.
For players in the twilight of their career like Clarke, winning a major, especially as well as he did, is the absolute zenith of a career, perhaps he feels like he has nothing else to prove, no more ambitions to fulfill and no real enthusiasm to try and match that impossible high.

I see Clarke a bit like Ivanisevic when he won Wimbledon, a crowning moment that he didn't believe he could better. All ambitions realised.
Can't really blame either of them, even if personally I'd like to achieve more.

Which begs the question should a guy with that attitude be given excemption after excemption to carry on playing, which he no doubt will, when he is not competitive. Its just like one long retirement tour.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 08 May 2012, 3:16 pm

Probably not Diggers, but at the time of their triumphs they were justified in being there, but it shouldn't justify future appearances.
I personally don't agree with exemptions. Sport loses credibility unless someone is there on merit. I'm sure when Woods knees finally buckle under the weight of his nine chins, we'll still see him spitting and throwing clubs down the Augusta fairways.
The Masters is an example of despicable cronyism. 25% of the field are has-been deadbeats with no hope.

Sandy Lyle for example should be sent to the UHU factory.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 08 May 2012, 3:24 pm

super_realist wrote: 25% of the field are has-been deadbeats with no hope.

While i couldn't possibly be as blunt as SR !!, i agree on the exemptions issue for the Masters. As for DC, i believe Open Champs (& Masters champs) should get 5 years exemption after they win............it's been 24 years since Sandy won and i expect him to turn up for another 10 years to come.......it's not right...............If for instance Lyle had won the Open or Augusta 3 times then maybe let them come till they are 65................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 08 May 2012, 3:27 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Hibbz wrote:And, he's clearly been a poor player this year which is all McLaren is saying. Mac has also said he was a good player previously though I thinking standing toe-toe with Woods might be pushing it a bit. He beat him once in a matchplay comp to memory. Would you say Philip Price stood toe-to-toe with Mickelson?

True, he's been an also-ran this year. No question about that but I'd go along with S_R re. his motivation given he's achieved a life-long ambition. I'm pretty sure his WGC victories were at a time that TW was in his pomp; I didn't mean he'd consistently beaten TW one-on-one in the final group on a Sunday. I don't think Price is in the same bracket as Clarke do you?

I don't think it's that his motivation has dipped I just think he's returned to the form of the previous few years. The Open win was a huge spike in form albeit a wonderfully timed one. I mentioned Price due to his victory over Mickelson in the Ryder Cup.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 May 2012, 3:31 pm

I dont see whats wrong with saying any past champ with the top XXX (whatever you deem sensible) of the world rankings can play?

I would go for around the 250/300 mark.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 08 May 2012, 3:33 pm

McLaren wrote: As for Clarke, can you really say he is major champion calibre with a straight face?

Last time I checked, your name is either on the trophy and you are the Open champion, or it isn't and you aren't.

I've tickets for Friday at the Irish Open, and I'll make a point of watching Bradley for a hole or two.. but only a hole or two.. any more and I'd be screaming at him to stop backing off and just hit the damn thing. I think it's an interesting field and I'm actually looking forward to watching some of the others like Dyson - his self commentary sounds like it could be a laugh if I get close enough to hear some of it.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 08 May 2012, 3:38 pm

John Cregan wrote:
super_realist wrote: 25% of the field are has-been deadbeats with no hope.

While i couldn't possibly be as blunt as SR !!, i agree on the exemptions issue for the Masters. As for DC, i believe Open Champs (& Masters champs) should get 5 years exemption after they win............it's been 24 years since Sandy won and i expect him to turn up for another 10 years to come.......it's not right...............If for instance Lyle had won the Open or Augusta 3 times then maybe let them come till they are 65................

One year exemption as defending champion. If Ronnie O'Sullivan dropped out of the top 16 Im not sure he even gets an exemption to come back and defend his title, Sport should be tough, its not about living on past glories. Golf wallows in sentimentality more than any other sport I can think of.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 08 May 2012, 4:02 pm

Spot on Diggers, Not often I say that.
The only other thing which wallows in past glories more is Liverpool FC.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 08 May 2012, 5:06 pm

I bet Darren will finish better in the Irish open than K. Bradley.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 08 May 2012, 5:09 pm

That's an interesting bet actually, I'd back Bradley. Be interesting to see if the bookmakers price that one up but even if they don't I reckon Bradley will be shorter odds to win outright than Capital D.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 May 2012, 5:14 pm

I of course understand that Clarke was a good player 5-10 years ago on a consistent basis and the very best player in the world for 4 days last summer. I just dont buy the argument he has lost the motivation to practice enough in order to compete. If that were the case why not just turn up to all the majors and other biggies he is exempt for?

Why turn up to minor events and be last by about 5 shots every other week? You would think he wants to prove his open was no fluke and that he was still in decent shape (golf game wise not physically) and able to compete with the worlds best?

I just hope he realises he is on course to be the worst player ever to hold a major trophy and that he starts to rack up some points. Does he really want that to be what he is remembered for in pub quiz questions for ever more?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 May 2012, 5:24 pm

Oddly Keegan has passed up the chance to play the at&t to come to Ireland, an event which was worth 44 OWGR points last year. The last Irish open was only worth 28.

and $6.5 million pot vs a 2 million euro pot.

This also means Rory has passed up the chance to revisit the site of his US open glory.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 08 May 2012, 6:01 pm

I think the Irish Open will be rated much higher this year as opposed to last year. Last year was a lead-in to the WGC-Bridgestone and PGA.

I think Royal Portrush will help draw a better field too.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 08 May 2012, 6:04 pm

I really look forward to seeing Royal Portrush. Only heard great things about it.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 08 May 2012, 6:30 pm

McLaren wrote:I just hope he realises he is on course to be the worst player ever to hold a major trophy and that he starts to rack up some points. Does he really want that to be what he is remembered for in pub quiz questions for ever more?

Sheesh... Tough crowd in here. For the life of me I can't fathom why somebody would choose to remember a player like Darren Clarke for how poorly he played after the crowing achievement of his career.

Me? I'll choose to remember him for those WGC wins, The Open Championship and all those tremendous Ryder Cup appearances... including one of the most riveting and emotional gut wrenching shows of class I've ever seen with his appearance and play in the 2006 Ryder Cup after the death of his wife. Oh and I'll also remember the time after he missed the cut in Houston a few years ago, instead of bolting out of town like players usually do, Darren shows up a volunteer appreciation function (no obligation to do so), then sticks around to participate in a Junior Golf clinic the next afternoon.

So yes... can't deny Darren hasn't played too well since his Open win... and if that's what you choose to remember him for, hey that's your right... but I like my memories of Darren much better.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Tue 08 May 2012, 6:33 pm

So are people here saying DC is a worse major champ than Michael Campbell! Its not like Clarke's only win last year was at the Open, didn't he win the Ibedrola Open a regular ET event last year to, I make that the same number of wins in 2011 as Keegan.

Clarke's had more off course celebration than on it what with effectively destroying his liver post Open win and getting married for 2nd time so his focus has been far from on his playing. Also having a poor season isn't the end of a career, if its prolonged for 2 or 3 then that's a demise.

Look at Ben Curtis the previous RSG open winner only now is he hitting form again, none of us have been in his position where he has really achieved the pinnacle of his sport in terms of winning the big one so maybe regardless of what we think he may have taken his eyes off the ball so to speak.

If he sinks to the depths of a Baker-Finch post major win then a case for his demise could be argued, but his past record of victories speaks volumes how many other players have 2 WGC wins, I think its about 3 (Tiger, Mahan, Ogilvy) so not in bad company. Give the guy a chance after all they say form is temporary class is permanent.

I have to say I do agree with all the comments regarding sentiment though imo exemptions shoud be a max of 2 years, just because a guy won something 30years ago does not make him good enough to compete now. It'd be like watching George Foreman get back in the ring to fight one of the Klitschko brothers simply because was a past champ, simply embarrassing for the sport and viewing public.

Guys past 50 have the seniors tours so if they are not competitive in the regular tour or majors they should stick to those events, hell if Augusta want chanps past competitive age they should have an over 50's Masters perhaps called the Legends! That way they still play but don't take up valuable spots from more worthy players.

"Note: I'm not saying anyone over 50 is past it, merely saying if they don't qualify on merit like anyone else they shouldn't be there"

Last edited by Fader on Tue 08 May 2012, 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 May 2012, 6:57 pm

Robo

You have a point about all the great things clarke has achieved and that they should be the focus but do you not think he could have carried the honour of being a major winner just a little better?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 08 May 2012, 10:28 pm

Maybe he's been doing a lot of the off-course stuff as Open champion. The sort of thing that doesn't make the back page headlines. He's at the end of his career so why don't we give him a break?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 08 May 2012, 10:48 pm

robo, nbs,
Well said. Darren Clarke has been one of the most important contributors to the European Tour for nearly two decades; clearly lots of would'ves, could'ves and possibly should'ves in his long career, but he's had to deal with stuff much more important, stuff that those slagging his form off will hopefully never have to face.

Remember a story about his WGC win at Firestone - apparently he attended the ceremonies and back-slapping and then was left to get on his airline bike to New England for the upcoming Deutsche Bank tournament. Apparently he ended up late at night in a Providence pub drinking Guinness in total anonymity while watching his triumph (and taming of Tiger) on TV.

We'll never know how his career was affected by his wife's illness, what he might have achieved, and we have no idea what he might still accomplish. And we will never know how the 2008 Ryder Cup might have turned out had Faldo picked him as, on form, he might well have done.

I've a feeling DC's days are not done, and I certainly hope not.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 08 May 2012, 10:58 pm

On a related note, Brendan Steele is going to play the French Open.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 08 May 2012, 11:15 pm

GPB,
I think Steele played there last year and finished 7th, under the Bubba-induced radar. Sounds like he really embraced the experience (why wouldn't he?), then went on to Castle Stuart but missed the cut.
Steele seems a decent bloke, big buddy of Bradley.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 09 May 2012, 7:24 am

I've made no secret of the fact that Bradley isn't my cup of tea, I just can't take to the guy and no, it's not the spitting (which he seems to have taken on board and sorted anyway). I think it's all that fidgeting, almost doing the hokey cokey in and out of the address position. I also saw him as one of the more insular Americans which is another trait I don't have much time for. Now...by coming over to play the Irish Open when he could stay in the U.S. and play a more lucrative event, fair do's, I might just cut the guy a bit of slack.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 May 2012, 9:58 am

Jas

There is definitely something slightly disconcerting about Keegans eye’s that’s for sure, especially when he does that demon eye putting line up.

The sad thing about his spitting diarrhoea at Riviera is that it detracted from one of the best PGA tour show downs on a 72nd hole when he and Mickelson both holed sizable putts to get into the play off.

There certainly cant be many players –maybe not even tiger – who have had a better start to their PGA tour career and he is the most promising of all the under 30 Americans. Expect him to be the next Mickelson, not in terms of playing style or personality but in terms of winning. If he racks up 3-4 majors in the next ten years it will be no surprise.

Given the poor state of the European tour it needs as many players as it can get from the top 50 gracing its events, the weekly disparity between the PGA and euro tour in terms of money and OWGR points is widening all the time. So whatever has tempted a top player like Keegs needs to be tried a few more times each event.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 09 May 2012, 5:19 pm

McLaren wrote:
Given the poor state of the European tour it needs as many players as it can get from the top 50 gracing its events, the weekly disparity between the PGA and euro tour in terms of money and OWGR points is widening all the time. So whatever has tempted a top player like Keegs needs to be tried a few more times each event.

Agreed, but it also the EuroT to get its top players to play a lot more than the minimum 13 required events.

Top 30 Euro Players and the non WGC's non Majors played on ET and PGAT this year, including this Players this week

Rory: 2 (3)
Luke: 1 (5)
Westy: 2 (4)
Kaymer: 4 (1)
Rose: 0 (7)
GMac: 2 (5)
Sergio: 2 (3)
Hanson: 4 (4)
Poulter: 2 (4)
Molinari: 6 (1)

25 tournaments (un-co-sanctioned by the PGAT) from these top 30 Europeans on the EuroT.
37 tournaments (un-co-sanctioned by the EuroT) from these top 30 Europeans on the PGAT

The EuroT is losing a lot OWGR rankings points because their top players are simply not supporting their home tour. if they continue to play near or at the minimum, the ET is going to fall further and further behind the PGAT.

I think both Kaymer and Hanson will be PGAT members next year, and I think Francesco will join too if he can get himself exempt.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 09 May 2012, 5:30 pm

McLaren wrote: So whatever has tempted a top player like Keegs needs to be tried a few more times each event.

Surely he just wants to get some competitive links play in before the British Open. A smart move, one would imagine most of the top 50 players would seize this opportunity- I haven't seen the field for the Irish Open but it doesn't seem like they are.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 09 May 2012, 5:54 pm

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote: So whatever has tempted a top player like Keegs needs to be tried a few more times each event.

Surely he just wants to get some competitive links play in before the British Open. A smart move, one would imagine most of the top 50 players would seize this opportunity- I haven't seen the field for the Irish Open but it doesn't seem like they are.

Last I saw Westwood's schedule, he is playing in the ATT National that week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 May 2012, 9:52 pm

To issustrate the point made by myself and GBP further here is an extract from an article I never got round to finishing.

I put together some averages for OWGR points avialable on the PGAT and Euro tour in 2011.

"The PGA tour has 6 types of event other than the Majors and WGC’s; Regular, alternate (those played the same week as majors and WGC’s), unique (The players and Tournament of champions), Play offs, fall series and unofficial (the chevron).

When making a comparison with the European events I will include the unique, play off and fall series in the Regular classification for the PGA tour. For this group of events the average OWGR point allocation is 47.35

The European tour has two types of event outside the majors and WGC’s; Regular and Alternate (saint omer open). The average OWGR allocation for the European tours regular events is 34.

To show that even players not making it into the play offs have an advantage here is the breakdown for each tour.

PGA

Regular 45.75
WGC 72.00
Major 100.00
Playoffs 65.00
Fall series 30.50
Alternate 24.00
Unique 65.00

European

Regular 34.0
WGC 72.0
Major 100.0
Alternate 18.0"

It is clear that those players solely based in europe are going to find it almost impossible to crack the top 50 very shortly unless they can finish top 5 every week, and therefore maintain a top 50 OWGR points average.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 10 May 2012, 12:04 am

As funny as this might sound, it would help the European Tour if they didn't make the WGC's and Majors "official" events that counts towards the Race to Dubai.

Hear me out.

The RtD is almost entirely determined on those 8 events. Approximately 50% of the prize money is in those tournaments.

Justin Rose is third on the money list, and his has not played a ET event yet this year. Brandon Grace has played 11 events and won 3 of them and still not ahead of Rose on the RTD.

Then the Home Tour Points subsidy will have more of the rank and file players and since they play the 2nd and 3rd tier events, it will help the OWGR evaluation of those events.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 May 2012, 8:04 am

GPB my concern if the euro tour didnt have the WGC's or majors then who would sign up and be a tour member- the ryder cup would be the only draw, i reakon most top players would bother signing up for the european tour because how could they justify playing 14 events on the ET that arnt majors or WDC's

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 May 2012, 9:36 am

I guess WGC's and majors could count for the purposes of playing the minimum number of events but not for R2D. But that would be an odd system that would penalise a regular euro tour player who had his best week at a major.

I agree with your theory GPB that in weeks where the double dippers don’t play the Home Tour Points subsidy would be higher and therefore more lucrative in terms of points gained for those that do play. But a tour not counting the majors would loose a lot of prestige and that may have unforeseeable consequences which would wipe out any advantage.

What is clear to me is that the European tour needs to start protecting the players that only play European tour like Simon Dyson. He is doing well at the moment but just doesn’t have the points available to him to secure a solid top 50 spot.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 10 May 2012, 3:00 pm

I take it that we're blanking the ET tournament this week, on grounds that it's too boring to talk about.

I'll just say one thing though - there seems to be a large Brit contingent, with a load of Englishmen in particular in the top 10 at the moment. And look, the [joint] leader currently is Fleetwood, Mac. [Sorry, old joke which we've done to death before...]

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 May 2012, 3:06 pm

Speaking of which did anyone see the BBC four documentary on Fleetwood mac?

I did not know the original guitarist had joined a sex cult in the German woods.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 10 May 2012, 7:49 pm

McLaren wrote:Speaking of which did anyone see the BBC four documentary on Fleetwood mac?

I did not know the original guitarist had joined a sex cult in the German woods.
Didn't he run off in the middle of a US tour to join some religious cult thing?

The original Peter Green-era band were fantastic, never had much time for the later versions though

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 May 2012, 9:39 am

Ned

As an F1 fan from a very young age I have no other option than to like the chain, the memories it conjures are just too strong. I also like the rest of the rumours album but the stuff after that is a little too 80's sounding for me.

although they are not the only band to suffer an 80's blip, even Clapton went off in the 80's. Money and Cigarettes was just pants.

I actually knew little of the original band and from what I have listened to since the documentary they seem pretty good.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 13 May 2012, 3:03 pm

It's great to have Keegan Bradley playing at Portrush, but it'll be also fair to say that the initial Irish hopes for a load of superstars 'rushing' to Portrush Whistle this summer haven't quite materialised... However, Keegs' commitment has been now overshadowed by the confirmation that another major champ will take part - John Daly! Guinness will be over the moon for sure... guinness (I don't believe they have Hooters in Portrush).

As for other major champs, I would certainly hope that at least the resurected Ben Curtis will decide to stop by in N. Ireland at the end of June. I'm hoping his caddy (Ricky Elliot from Portrush) will convince him of that...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 14 May 2012, 12:24 am

Anyone know if Curtis is going to honor his commitment of playing 13 events?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 14 May 2012, 12:46 am

Ned, Mac,
Peter Green so important in 60's rock. So under appreciated.
As for Meetwood Flac, I once saw Christine Perfect in Chicken Shack at a club in Edmonton before she was C.McVie - seems like only yesterday!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 14 May 2012, 3:32 pm

ive heard alot of players mention they peak on the 3 weekend in a row.
im surprised alot of players arent seeing Portrush/Castle Stuart/The Open as an obvious schedule.
maybe it has something to do with the bad rep castlestuart got last year or maybe it has something to do with Portrush being a relatively late announcement as a venue.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down