The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs

+4
beshocked
Dubbelyew L Overate
Equo Troiano
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
8 posters

Go down

Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs Empty Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 4 May 2012 - 12:02

The bad guys XXIII:

15 Alex Goode
14 David Strettle
13 Chris Wyles
12 Brad Barritt
11 James Short
10 Owen Farrell
9 Richard Wigglesworth
1 Rhys Gill
2 Schalk Brits
3 Carlos Nieto
4 Steve Borthwick ©️
5 Mouritz Botha
6 Jackson Wray
7 Justin Melck
8 Ernst Joubert

16 Jamie George
17 John Smit
18 Matt Stevens
19 George Kruis
20 Will Fraser
21 Neil de Kock
22 Charlie Hodgson
23 Joe Maddock

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs Empty Re: Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 4 May 2012 - 12:08

The good guys XXIII:

15 Luke Arscott
14 Phil Dollman
13 Sireli Naqelevuki
12 Bryan Rennie
11 Matt Jess
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Kevin Barrett
1 Ben Moon
2 Chris Whitehead
3 Craig Mitchell
4 Tom Hayes (capt)
5 James Hanks
6 Tom Johnson
7 James Scaysbrook
8 Richard Baxter

16 Neil Clark
17 Brett Sturgess
18 Chris Budgen
19 Aly Muldowney
20 Ben White
21 Haydn Thomas
22 Ignacio Mieres
23 Nic Sestaret

Chief

Shoemark & Tui injured still, Naqer comes in for Shoey, Dolly switches to the wing with Camacho enjoying her majesty's pleasure, Steeno gets a start alongside KB at his old club, Mooner keeps the loosehead berth, Budgie on to the bench (it better be a big bench) and Bryan Rennie's last outing in Exe colours

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Fri 4 May 2012 - 12:10; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 4 May 2012 - 12:11

Same result as last year would do very nicely, thanks

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 4 May 2012 - 12:13

Despite my optimism that Exeter will win, it is difficult to see past a home win here. Mainly because the Chiefs will have been bored to death by half time.

That was a joke by the way.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 4 May 2012 - 12:16

Surprised to see Steeno and Kev promoted from the bench, but happy to see them start.

Not sure if Dolly has played on the wing in living memory, and the centres have a very high bosh factor. Can't see the Chiefs playing an expansive game with that selection, it's going to be brutal.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 4 May 2012 - 12:36

Altho saying that Dubb, we've managed a fairly expansive game plan in the last half dozen or so games, with the major changes being the absence of Mieres and Shoey - hopefully Rob keeps to the same instructions of just attacking the game Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 4 May 2012 - 13:06

True enough, Asbo, but not with Sireli and Rennie paired, and with Mieres at the helm. I just get the feeling that we'll be playing keep-ball and challenging Sarries to show how well they can tackle, and for how long. The home game showed they're pretty good at it. Our not-so-secret weapon, though, is to unleash the Sturge on Strettle again.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 4 May 2012 - 13:10

How many Sarries players do you reckon Brett will carry over the line with him this time, Dubb?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 4 May 2012 - 13:32

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:How many Sarries players do you reckon Brett will carry over the line with him this time, Dubb?

He'll be well rested coming off the bench so let's say 3 or 4 of the little uns, but maybe just a couple of the big boys?

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 4 May 2012 - 13:59

As long as Saracens are not foolishly complacent and don't underestimate the opposition like last season they should win.

On the other hand Exeter have been one of the surprise packages this season and really do pack a solid punch. Though their players are not high profile, their workrate and power is admirable.

Since that poor loss Saracens have beaten Exeter 3 times - 2 at Sandy Park and 1 in the joke cup so it's not as if Exeter have a hex over the team.

I expect Saracens to stick to their predictable game plan which is a real shame.

Can't really say who is going to win. Saracens should do it but as they have flattered to deceive really it would be no surprise if Exeter win.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 4 May 2012 - 14:41

Beshocked,
Sarries are clear favourites, no question. It's highly unusual for Sarries to underestimate their opponents, but, as you say, I think last year at Vicarage Road your lot were underprepared for Exeter. That was allied to Ryan Davis coming in for the injured Steeno at flyhalf and playing a very different game. As you can probably tell from the banter above, that win is fondly remembered down in Devon, but I'm under no illusions which is the better team.

You know us well now - we've been well analysed, both our keep-ball game of the early season, and our more recent expansive game. You know the questions to ask us, and you know the questions we'll ask.

I'm hoping our guys do themselves proud and perhaps earn an LBP, and hoping for a good game overall.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 5 May 2012 - 18:56

An unusually poor display from Exeter with returning players that have not seen much game time recently faring particularly baldly. Half back pairing Barrett & Steenson looked short of ideas, while Naqer looked ponderous in midfield and Luke Arscott seemed determined to kick hard-earned possession back down Sarries' throats. As the hosts picked up the pace of the game, Exe resorted to touch rugby tackling and Saracens weren't about to turn down golden opportunities. Final score: 40-22. Ah well, perhaps minds were half on holidays, but that still can't detract from the wonderful season that Exe have enjoyed

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 7 May 2012 - 22:50

Poor display from both teams in the 1st half. Too many errors but nice to see the ball kept in hand.

2nd half the turning point was that gift of a try for Short.

Exeter's heads dropped. Saracens upped their intensity and completely finished off Exeter with some excellent running rugby.

We all know Saracens can attack if they really try. 3rd try was excellent. Some sublime handling for a proper team try.

Charlie Hodgson is an absolutely class club 10 and he proved it again. His score showed what he can do.

Nice to see Exeter didn't give up and got two tries at the end but the game was done then.

Congratulations to Exeter for a cracking season - well deserved HC rugby for you.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Tue 8 May 2012 - 9:46

beshocked wrote:Poor display from both teams in the 1st half. Too many errors but nice to see the ball kept in hand.

2nd half the turning point was that gift of a try for Short.

Exeter's heads dropped. Saracens upped their intensity and completely finished off Exeter with some excellent running rugby.

We all know Saracens can attack if they really try. 3rd try was excellent. Some sublime handling for a proper team try.

Charlie Hodgson is an absolutely class club 10 and he proved it again. His score showed what he can do.

Nice to see Exeter didn't give up and got two tries at the end but the game was done then.

Congratulations to Exeter for a cracking season - well deserved HC rugby for you.

Or when they're allowed to. Its a pity this (or another top four - or even the relegation clash) wasn't shown in favour of the Saints v Wuss game. It seemed to take all three top teams time to get going on Saturday, and all three will have to up their intensity to be in contention for the final.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 8 May 2012 - 10:01

2nd half the turning point was that gift of a try for Short

Good vision to spot it and get there though, not to mention a massive try saving tackle in the first half stopping Naqi from 2m out is some tackle. I wonder if Lancaster will be taking notice of that?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 8 May 2012 - 10:05

Wasps-Falcons was on ESPN I thought?

For 40 minutes it seemed that Sarries were there more usual negative team. If they go on to win the AP I hope it is pl;aying rugby as they did at Welfrod Road, Edgely Park and the second half yesterday.

The key to all of those was Charlie Hodgson. He has to start and (heresy though it may be) Farrell should be consigned to the bench with someone like Wyles who offers a threat with ball in hand wearing 13.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Tue 8 May 2012 - 10:25

LondonTiger wrote:Wasps-Falcons was on ESPN I thought?

For 40 minutes it seemed that Sarries were there more usual negative team. If they go on to win the AP I hope it is pl;aying rugby as they did at Welfrod Road, Edgely Park and the second half yesterday.

The key to all of those was Charlie Hodgson. He has to start and (heresy though it may be) Farrell should be consigned to the bench with someone like Wyles who offers a threat with ball in hand wearing 13.

Yeah, on Sunday morning...

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 8 May 2012 - 10:38

LondonTiger did you watch the Sarries vs Exeter game. Saracens weren't being negative in the 1st half. They kept the ball in hand a lot. They made simply too many errors.

In my opinion Exeter did very little in the first half in comparison. Their field position for their 1st try came from horrific mistakes from Saracens - 1st Short horribly knocked on the ball when trying to attack from deep - if he had kept the ball in hand he would have made excellent yardage. Then Brits and Borthwick conspired to lose the ball.

Sam I agree Short was pretty good but that horrific knock on was a poor error. His try made up for it partly though. Short scored a similar try to that against Leinster in the HC last season.

I don't think Farrell is a 13 but neither is Wyles. Saracens need a proper 13. That's the dilemma.

Agree Hodgson should probably start but he made an excellent impact from the bench so maybe he'll do that again.

The injection of the bench really upped the tempo.

It's the frontrow battle I am most worried about going up against Leicester.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 8 May 2012 - 10:39

It was on live as well (I watched it). Saints v Worcester was on sky

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 8 May 2012 - 11:10

Yeah, on Sunday morning...

Or live of ESPN Classic.

It's the frontrow battle I am most worried about going up against Leicester.

Manu has already come out and said that Tigers have issues to settle with Sarries and Cockers has already started the mind games saying that Sarries will not fear WR. Should be a firey encounter but we stuffed your scrum at your place and in the final last year and it didn't decide either game. The breakdown and the Sarries defence will be key. Hodgson has to start as Farrell playing negative rugby against a full strength Tigers pack could go horribly wrong.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 8 May 2012 - 11:36

Mind games? Both M.Tuilagi and Cockers are stating the bleeding obvious! Not a bad way to be but hardly mind games.

Stuffing our scrum is hardly an achievement. I have been saying for some time whoever bothers listening to me that it's a weakness we need sorting out.

On the other hand the scrum has taken the backseat in most games - let's keep it that way.

When you have 4 backrowers injured - all long term - the breakdown battle certainly swings in Tiger's favour. Need a big performance from Joubert - he hasn't been himself though mostly this season.

Firey encounter? It has actually been fairly civilised actually. Haven't been many if any yellow cards when the two sides meet recently. I think both sides have played tough and certainly pushed the boundaries but neither have really significantly crossed them.

Both sides will obviously be pumped up but I can't see it being as much as the Midlands derby or even Saracens vs Gloucester (that game at Kingsholm with season was brutal).

There's mutual admiration I believe. You know what we are capable of and we are certainly aware what you can do.

Tigers should win this - it could be a very painful day to be a Saracens fan.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 8 May 2012 - 11:49

Firey encounter? It has actually been fairly civilised actually. Haven't been many if any yellow cards when the two sides meet recently. I think both sides have played tough and certainly pushed the boundaries but neither have really significantly crossed them

You can be aggressive and physical without resorting to foul play. The last few games have been very physical with a little bit of niggle so I'd say in a pumped up atmosphere like WR it should be a pretty physical game. I don't expect it to overspill ala Tigers vs Saints but that's different there's many decades of intense rivalry there.

I'm looking forward to it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 8 May 2012 - 11:58

Sam we are starting to build up a rivalry - being top contenders for the title in the last 3 seasons will do that - also they have been mostly closely fought encounters. Yes both sides have proved you can be physical and aggressive without resorting to foul play.

I do know which players on each side I would look to wind up though. thumbsup

I am looking forward to it too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 8 May 2012 - 12:05

Talking about 13's Beshocked, will we get to see more of Tomkins next season in that position?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 8 May 2012 - 12:20

Bloody well hope so yappysnap. I think he has been unfairly underutilised.

I am sure he'll be used in pre season to get up to speed. Playing with his mate Ashton should help.

Also want to see Sam Stanley given a shot in the centres too. Been really unfortunate with injuries.

From all extents and purposes it looks like Strettle and Wigglesworth are staying at Sarries.

Michael Tagicakibau is leaving though - could London Irish be his destination?

The squad looks pretty strong for next season

Props:Gill,Nieto,Stevens,Saunders,Vunipola,Du Plessis
Hookers:Brits,Smit,George
Locks:Botha,Borthwick,Kruis,Hargreaves,Sherriff
Backrow:Wray,Fraser,Joubert,Melck,Saull,Brown,Burger (of the last 4 Brown and Saull should be back in pre season)
Scrum Halves:De Kock,Wigglesworth,Spencer,Baldwin
Fly Halves:Hodgson,Farrell
Wingers:Short,Ashton,Maddock,Strettle,Taylor
Centres:Powell,Tomkins,Barritt,Stanley,Mordt,Ratuvou
Full Backs:Goode,Wyles,Ransom

Academy:Jubb,Itoje,Spurling,Crumpton,Auterac,Earle etc.

I think Marcus Watson and Harry Allen are leaving.

Nathan Earle won the most promising Saracens youngster I believe - part of England U18s.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Tue 8 May 2012 - 12:40

Well, one thing is for sure. If Tigers play the first 40 like they did against Bath, they will lose because SAracens will have kicked the leather off the ball by the time Tigers wake up and could be out of sight. The half backs could well decide this match.

Its funny really, because given the start to the season Tigers had, to have even reached the play-offs and won the LV Cup can be seen as a huge achievement, so losing wouldn't be the end of the world. On the other hand, Tigers have done so well since Christmas that many expect them to lift the title based on form and momentum, so in that respect, it would also be disappointing not to lift the league trophy.

I do find it slightly amusing that last year some Saracens supporters, who shall not be named, complained bitterly that Tigers should be in a position to win the title despite not having won as many games - okay, this year Tigers have not won as many as Saracens again (by one) but i'm willing to bet that those Saracens supporters are thanking their lucky stars for the play-off system, having finished 3rd below Tigers.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 8 May 2012 - 12:45

Well, one thing is for sure. If Tigers play the first 40 like they did against Bath, they will lose because SAracens will have kicked the leather off the ball by the time Tigers wake up and could be out of sight

I would hope there isn't two late changes to the team and 2 early withdrawls of key players this weekend. To lose both half backs within the first 20 mins of a game is pretty unfortunate and it had an effect, Harrison and Twelvetrees took a while to click but once they did in the second half we did well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 8 May 2012 - 12:57

Equo Troiano the playoff system is in place to aid sides who are drained of players by the world cup and internationals. Quins are arguably top because they were less affected by world cup and internationals.

I think they missed about 2 players in the world cup as an example. Saracens and Saints missed 8, Leicester 13

Last season Saracens were less affected than they were this season.

Also I am used to Tigers winning less games but picking up more try bonuses. We should have learnt by now to stop letting Tigers be ahead of us because of try bonuses.

I don't mind where we play Tigers - to win the title you normally need to beat Tigers. WR holds no demons for the players. Still going to be tough though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Tue 8 May 2012 - 14:42

Although aiding teams denuded of international players may be the official reason for the play-offs, I suspect that money making is at the heart of it.

I wont complain though, Tigers have been beneficiarirs of it on more than one occasion and have also been in the position of finishing top of the league AND winning the play-offs (Glaws fans take note).

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 8 May 2012 - 14:46

yup we have topped the league and won on a few occassions, won without topping the league and twice topped the league and lost the final.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down