The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aironi president keen to keep PRO12 rugby at Luigi Zaffanella

5 posters

Go down

Aironi president keen to keep PRO12 rugby at Luigi Zaffanella Empty Aironi president keen to keep PRO12 rugby at Luigi Zaffanella

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:10 pm

Aironi president keen to keep PRO12 rugby at Luigi Zaffanella wrote:Aironi president Silvano Melegari has made a declaration of interest to the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) for Viadana to take Aironi's place in the RaboDirect PRO12 next season.

At the beginning of April the FIR announced that bottom-of-the-table Aironi wouldn't be competing in the league next year due to their financial problems.
But in the same statement the federation declared its intent to put forward another team to compete in Aironi's place.

Viadana won the Italian title back in 2002 and play their home matches in the same stadium as Aironi: the Stadio Luigi Zaffanella.

Melegari is also president of Viadana and this week he met the president of the FIR, Giancarlo Dondi, in Milan to discuss the possibility of keeping RaboDirect PRO12 alive in the area next season.

"I have sent a declaration of interest but I have not submitted an application," said Melegari.

"The declaration was in the name of Viadana but we are open to partners.

"Certainly there will be Colorno with us as they have been the only club to remain with Aironi right to the end.

"The other Parmesan teams pulled out earlier and have stayed out.

"When I met with president Dondi in Milan I outlined a project that centres on making cuts, lots of cuts, to how we've managed (Aironi) in the last two years.

"When the FIR revoked Aironi's license for me the team died.

"But we are working hard and I am sure that it (another team) will arrive.

"There's nothing to confirm but we're on the right path."
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Aironi president keen to keep PRO12 rugby at Luigi Zaffanella Empty Re: Aironi president keen to keep PRO12 rugby at Luigi Zaffanella

Post by Golden Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

I would like to see team from rome to be submitted instead, to really get the numbers in to watch them. I dont know much about the Italian league, is there a team from Rome that would be up to competing in the Rabo (obviously with a lot of investment) or would one have to be made up again like Aironi?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Aironi president keen to keep PRO12 rugby at Luigi Zaffanella Empty Re: Aironi president keen to keep PRO12 rugby at Luigi Zaffanella

Post by Brendan Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:25 pm

I think putting in Viadana is Aironi by another name so it wouldn't be rocket sceince to say they will end the same.

Rome or one of the big cities is surely the way to go. If only 0.1% of rome show up it would still be 2.7k

Vidana is a tiny place too. Surely Milan or rome is the way to go

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:36 pm

They need a team playing out of Rome, Milan or Turin. It needs to be a big city preferably one with a sporting university and a team with a half decent base level of support. Unless the Italians embrace these teams and make them their own they are always doomed for failure.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:14 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:They need a team playing out of Rome, Milan or Turin. It needs to be a big city preferably one with a sporting university and a team with a half decent base level of support. Unless the Italians embrace these teams and make them their own they are always doomed for failure.

The one good thing about the Italy is there is alot of young italians coming through. Italy seems to have more and more born italians in their squad.

I think a uni is a good call will help win over the impressionable minds

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

Parma or Monza would be a perfect place- you can't help but feel if the Italians had their sh*t together they could have just relocated and repackaged Aironi and kept the brand alive.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down