The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop

+12
HongKongCherry
bluestonevedder
Bathite
ChequeredJersey
logansrun38
formerly known as Sam
Poorfour
Equo Troiano
yappysnap
HammerofThunor
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
LondonTiger
16 posters

Go down

Who has been the most influential TH Prop across the 2011/12 AP Season

606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_lcap34%606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 10 ]
606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_lcap10%606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_lcap3%606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_lcap10%606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
[ 3 ]
606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_lcap31%606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 29

Poll closed

606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Empty 606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop

Post by LondonTiger Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:58 am

Remember this is not about who you think is the best, but who has had the biggest impact over the 2011/12 AP Season. This is especially relevant for the Tighthead position as in so many teams the place has been shared around with no player starting more than 8 matches.

Contenders:
James Johnston - Who would have thought at the start of the season that Johnston would be a live contender. However the Quins scrum has improved, and Johnston has stated to use his bulk elswhere on the pitch. 15 starts and 5 from the bench.

Carlos Nieto - A mainstay of the Sarries scrum in the AP with 16 starts (and 5 bench). the Sarries scrum always looks much tighter when he is selected ahead of Matt Stevens.

Brian Mujati - Has reinforced his position as number 1 TH at Saints over the course of the season. Some sterling performances, though Saints scrum has not been as dominant as last year. 14 starts and 5 bench.

Rupert Harden - Has had some very good days at the coal face this year and rapidly becoming a major foundation stone for the rebuilding of the Glaws pack. 19 starts(2 bench)

Euan Murray - Has blown hot and cold, but when he plays well Newcastle have too. 13 starts.

Players not considered due to lack of appearances in the AP (due to Internationals or injuries):

Cole, Castro, Mitchell, Rautenbach, Ion, Wilson

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Empty Re: 606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:20 am

8 starts and 5 appearances off the bench not enough for Mitchell? Headscratch

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop Empty Re: 606's Aviva Premiership TOTY - TH Prop

Post by LondonTiger Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:24 am

Same as Cole. I just felt that to be the most influential you had to start more games.

If you disagree, then tick other and state who you want.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:47 am

I'm tempted with Johnson. One of the few areas Quins were weak in at the start of the season was the scrum (mainly do to Johnson and his problems in binding. But he's also butchered some open play moves as well (not passing when there is a clear overlap.

None of the others have particularly stood out for me. Certainly not above what I would expect (haven't seen many Gloucester games for Harden).

I'm going to abstain Smile

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:51 am

To be fair, the best THs have had limited game time.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:58 am

Johnston turned his season around over christmas and new year.

Marler gets all the plaudits but Johnston really does do so much in the tight, he's had a massive impact in some of the close games especially.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

HammerofThunor wrote:I'm tempted with Johnson. One of the few areas Quins were weak in at the start of the season was the scrum (mainly do to Johnson and his problems in binding. But he's also butchered some open play moves as well (not passing when there is a clear overlap.

None of the others have particularly stood out for me. Certainly not above what I would expect (haven't seen many Gloucester games for Harden).

I'm going to abstain Smile

I tend to agree. If there was a 'non of the above' choice, i'd take it, since regardless of the amount of appearances they've made, the stated omissions are the only horses in the race in my opinion.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:37 am

Johnston and Marler are leading their respective polls - who'd a thunk it at the start of the season? But I'd argue that if you go for them, you also have to go for Olly Kohn when the lock vote comes around. The Quins scrum is simply not the same without him.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:39 am

Johnstone has a big hit but if the opposition can negate that then he gets stuffed in the scrum and I'd like to see him throw that weight around ball in hand a little more.

Mujarti for me has been good but not as good as his team mate PDJ, having said that Mujarti's levels of consistentcy have been excellent but for him it's been a quiet year compared to last.

Harden is developing nicely but his scrummaging is still heavilly relient on the power of Wood.

Nieto and Murray have been out of form each time I've watched them play. Murray is annoymous around the field and Nieto seems to be struggling to play more than a half at AP speed, probably because he expells so much energy at each scrum as Stevens dons his rollar skates.

Best tighthead, if we are taking into account international form as well as club form then Cole at a canter otherwise PDJ who is great in the tight areas (particularly the maul and scrum) but is also throwing himself around and getting involved in the loose.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:45 am

Poorfour wrote:Johnston and Marler are leading their respective polls - who'd a thunk it at the start of the season? But I'd argue that if you go for them, you also have to go for Olly Kohn when the lock vote comes around. The Quins scrum is simply not the same without him.

+1

Kohn seems to make more difference to their scrum than eithe rof the props (perhaps a slight exaggeration but he doesn make a big difference).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by logansrun38 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 10:15 am

Johnson has certainly improved the most but Carlso gets my vote (despite the odd wobble recently).

logansrun38

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:23 am

Other for me- a combo of Cole and Castro despite gametime
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:57 am

James johnston - isn't he the most penalised player in the ap? Player, not prop!

Mujati - lost his spot to PDJ during the season

I'd have to say Mullipola needs to be an option if you consider his contribution.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:00 pm

I'd have to say Mullipola needs to be an option if you consider his contribution

Tigers are viewing him as a loosehead who can cover tighthead. In actual fact he plays either perfectly well but prefers to play 8 where he played for parts of previous non pro seasons before signing for Tigers. Can you imagine that 20 stone monster coming off the back of a scrum?!? Bye, bye scrum half!

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm

He plays 8???! Where did you hear that? Considering that fact, he's had a great season then, deputising in the front row.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm

"Playing No.8 is my first love. I love it there," said Mulipola.

"In Samoa, there are a lack of props. I started at No.8 but ended up as a prop. Only if there was an injury to a loose forward, I would cover there."

the interview is here:

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Friday-Interview-Logoviii-Mulipola-creating-big/story-15374064-detail/story.html

I think his professional career will definitely be at prop but it's good to know he likes the backrow style hard work. Must be something about Tigers as Cole played junior rugby as a number 8 as well, though I think he was converted to a tighthead much earlier than Mulipola.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm

That is unbelievable. I would love to see him line up there for Tigers just once, to see how he goes against AP teams.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm

It would be amusing, interestingly Cockerill gave Ed Slater the 8 shirt again for the A League semi final against the Exeter Braves. The club is obviously looking at options for 8 as we only have Crane and Waldrom along with youngster de Carpienter.

Could be an option if the final is a tight game and Cockers wants to add some carrying muscle late on. Camped on the opposition line, take Salvi and Croft off put Mafi and Mulipola into the backrow with Waldrom.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

Mafi Mulipola Waldrom back row.........ouch!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

Hell of a back row that would be. God, Salvi must feel small when he lines up at scrum time.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:43 pm

Just to prove I am not bias I have not voted for Harden! He has had a very good season, but since March he has been off the boil. Since Wood has been injured and Brown returned the power of the Glaws scrum has diminished and Sausage has suffered. There is no doubt he has a good future and I woull certainly say he is the 2nd best in this category.

But my vote went to Johnstone. His form has been almost opposite to Harden's. At the start o the season I was not impressed I really felt Fairbrother was going to replace him, but he has really added technical ability to his brute force. My admiration of Nick Wood is well known and whilst Census didn't cause him any problems, brother James did and he has been the stand out this season.

I will add Castro is still the best TH in the Jeff though, one of those players you just wish your team had signed.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:22 pm

Voted Johnston, but would also have gone for Castro as well if the option had been there.

As stated previously, if Johnston get's a good hit in he just demolishes anything in front of him. If he truley used that weight & power he demonstrates for the carry he'll be an immensely scary player!

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

Johnstone is an awful TH

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:39 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Johnstone is an awful TH

On what basis? He had a poor start to the season (why I didn't vote for him) but has improved beyond recognition (or refs have realised he is not at fault most of the time he was previously being penalised) and in the past few months has at worst had parity and at best dominated all opposition. That's in the tight, his supposed weak point. Ayerza struggled against him on Saturday. So ehat is it about his game that makes him an awful TH as of now at the end of the season?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

Before anyone wonders how come he got a vote then it is because I accidentally voted for Murray. I meant to select 'one of the others' but wasn't watching what I was doing so there you go. Wouldn't have ever gone that way on purpose as I contribute as much to Newcastle's loose play as he does.

Would have voted Cole myself - not seen him come off second best in the prem all season. I also agree that PDV has had a better season that Mujarti although he isn't first choice at the moment. Agree about pen machine Johnstone - although improved still not anywhere near as good as he should be.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Fri 27 Apr 2012, 7:31 pm

Since the New Year Johnston has been up there with the Leicester guys as the best scrummaging tightheads in the league

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down