The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format?

+8
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
beshocked
Effervescing Elephant
Brendan
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
red_stag
Portnoy
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The future of the Jeff over the next 5-10 years (multi-choice)

The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 11 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 10 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 42

The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Empty The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format?

Post by Portnoy Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

First topic message reminder :

So far as I can see, despite every effort for a decade to maintain a strong league system, and every attempt by PRL members to neutralise domestic ascendancy, the only thing that has been achieved has been to slowly strangle and stultify English European performances at the altar of local equalisitic principles.

Over the period of the past ten years or so we've had in England a PRL-negotiated system designed to in most ways preserve the status quo of the privileged incumbents.

How do you see the future unfolding?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Empty Re: The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format?

Post by gowales Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

I've been searching google for articles on expansion in the aviva prem and i think the best thing for the Jeff would be to do what Sir Ian suggested.

Expand the prem to 14 teams with Bristol and Leeds/Nottingham (playoff?) coming back in, no relegation for 5 years so that the teams can invest long term, which will also take the pressure off Championship sides that don't meet the requirements (yet).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/13379325

I would plan to do it after the 2015 world cup though so they can capitalise on the increased interest in the game

gowales

Back to top Go down

The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 Empty Re: The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:10 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Portnoy wrote:
Strangely Asbo (along with a huge number of critics), you don't join in my campaigns to make all of rugby more accessible to the likes of Exeter.

No support to open up the 6Ns. No support anywhere really - except a strong desire to keep your own nest feathered.

Which of course is exactly what you accuse me of.

One of us must feel a bit embarrassed. And as I have only ever encouraged pan-national success on financial terms whilst you have always supported the PRL line of fixing the weights to the faster swimmer/runners like a handicap race (and if the still win, burden them more).

I have? Sorry, I'll be requiring you to demonstrate that.

However, i will unashamedly take pleasure in pointing out that while you might champion one or two issues (that coincidentally would help the Tigers cause), you show no interest in any others
Portnoy, Unable to substantiate your claim? I'll take that as an official apology then - as you said, "One of us must feel a bit embarrassed" OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm

Portnoy wrote:
Strangely Asbo (along with a huge number of critics), you don't join in my campaigns to make all of rugby more accessible to the likes of Exeter.

No support to open up the 6Ns. No support anywhere really - except a strong desire to keep your own nest feathered.

Which of course is exactly what you accuse me of.

One of us must feel a bit embarrassed. And as I have only ever encouraged pan-national success on financial terms whilst you have always supported the PRL line of fixing the weights to the faster swimmer/runners like a handicap race (and if the still win, burden them more).

I have? Sorry, I'll be requiring you to demonstrate that.

However, i will unashamedly take pleasure in pointing out that while you might champion one or two issues (that coincidentally would help the Tigers cause), you show no interest in any others
Portnoy, Unable to substantiate your claim? I'll take that as an official apology then - as you said, "One of us must feel a bit embarrassed" The Jeff: Will it survive the medium term (5-10 years) in its current format? - Page 2 3610695981

Only too pleased to prostrate myself at your feet and kiss them before I remember that I should have washed them first Asbo.

Nothing's going to persuade you that my spirit is rugby first and accidental place of birth second is it?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:53 pm

Evolution or Revolution?

Revolution seems to possibly go in two ways:
First is total deconstruction of the euro season, with the 10-16 most viable/ambitious rugby businesses in Europe going off and playing with themselves, unfettered by salary cap, compulsory nationality restrictions and structured to avoid international call-ups. This replaces HC and domestic leagues and everyone else picks up the crumbs. May also be 6-10 Euro teams with Saffer provinces. Generally two fingers to the unions, which may cause a rift, but alternatively may comptise union franchises in a direct mimic of SH super rugby.
Second is retaining the current Euro season, but plsyed in blocks, with RFU entering the Divisional representative teams. Club league is separate, weakened, but not critically so.

Evolution - who knows, but there are 12 different vested interests involved, which indicates stagnation.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Apr 2012, 8:10 am

Portnoy wrote:
Only too pleased to prostrate myself at your feet and kiss them before I remember that I should have washed them first Asbo.

Nothing's going to persuade you that my spirit is rugby first and accidental place of birth second is it?
That all sounds a bit Uriah Heep for my taste, Portnoy, thanks OK I don't doubt where your spirit lies at all, but you have to admit that your focus (ie league breaks during IWs, salary caps, etc.) tends to be on issues that would stand to benefit the 'bigger' teams (incl Tigers). But I honestly believe that there are other issues out there that are equally worthy of your attention (ie promotion/relegation, infrastructure, academies, etc.)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 19 Apr 2012, 9:55 am

I'm ever so 'umble Mr Asbo.

I have posted many times about the hypercritical PRL stance in regard to promotion. i.e. Championship clubs being precluded entry on terms that existing Jeff sides couldn't hope to satisfy. Plus I'm a proponent of promoted clubs being granted a year (or two) grace from relegation so long as ground development plans satisfy a pre-agreed plan.

Academies. I have proposed supported calls for RFU academies in the regions (RFU divisions) to spread the load of cost for the poorer Jeff clubs like LI, Wasps etc.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:30 am

Portnoy wrote:I'm ever so 'umble Mr Asbo.

I have posted many times about the hypercritical PRL stance in regard to promotion. i.e. Championship clubs being precluded entry on terms that existing Jeff sides couldn't hope to satisfy. Plus I'm a proponent of promoted clubs being granted a year (or two) grace from relegation so long as ground development plans satisfy a pre-agreed plan.

Academies. I have proposed supported calls for RFU academies in the regions (RFU divisions) to spread the load of cost for the poorer Jeff clubs like LI, Wasps etc.
Ah well, haven't seen those comments for a while (but I will look out for them and adjust my view accordingly), only those that often attract a Broken Record symbol from other posters - how about an article on the inequity of the split of 'A' and 'P' shares?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 19 Apr 2012, 5:45 pm

I think it is shocking that some teams have not been given ultimatiums of you have three years or you're relegated

All the teams have to do is avoid relegation while grounds get worse

If as you say promoted teams were granted a two or three year place so another team relegated more Champ sides would do it. Why spend millions and then be knocked out after one year and be struck with a white elephent

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2