The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread

+8
thegooch7
Corporalhumblebucket
HappierSurreyFan
chichestersurryfan
Tibor
Carrotdude
Shelsey93
guildfordbat
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread Empty Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:17 am

Where is JimBobGooner when you need him?

Anyway, Surrey have named a 13 man squad for their trip to Lord's - same as last time out apart from Davies replacing Burns behind the stumps.

Lovely morning here now although forecast is not encouraging.

I'll be back this afternoon.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread Empty Re: Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:26 am

I'm heading off to Lord's today - hopefully the weather holds up and its a good day's cricket.

I don't get internet on my phone but will report back tonight

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:42 am

Surrey are bowling first after winning the toss, hopefully the right decision. Linley and Davies come in to the side for Meaker and Burns. No place for Le Roi still.

I guess the Meaker thing is a sign of rotation and not wanting to over use him and risk more injuries, Linley and Lewis with the new ball is exciting though.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:43 am

Looks like Davies replaces Burns and will open, with the Viscount coming in for Meaker.

I can only think this is because Meaker is not 100% or they are 'managing his workload'. Meaker is someone I would always pick because he can turn a game around in a short spell.

Anyway, I'm glad Linley has a chance.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:50 am

Middlesex look to have a good team, especially considering they are missing Strauss, Finn and Morgan.

There are certainly a few who have hurt Surrey in the past: Notably Rogers, Simpson and Dexter.

Spin is perhaps their only weak link, but its likely to play little role in the match anyway.

Good match on the cards.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

I fear we will get a hammering in this match, we usually do against Middlesex. Linley justifying his selection with 2 fours and a wide in his first over!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:45 am

Wicket! Denly gone for 10, caught behind off Lewis. Absolutely no idea why Brain came on as first change bowler when Jordan and Dernbach are there.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:43 pm

Lo and behold Dernbach comes on and gets a wicket in his 3rd over. 71/2 currently.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 12 Apr 2012, 1:48 pm

Been listening to the commentary on Radio 5 live sports extra! - Promotion for Churchy and co!

Sounds like its been Middx's morning, especially given that we put them in to bat!.. Just hoping that when we come to bad, we build a decent total,not necessarily at a fast rate.... history is against us... but then as Wigan showed last night, somtimes history means nothing Very Happy

Looking forward to reading reports later... given the weather.. play may be abit truncated this afternoon!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

Afternoon folks - Middlesex 86-2, play not yet having resumed after lunch due to rain.

Good to have Rogers back in the hutch - I saw him score shedloads for Derbys against us a couple of years back. However, as Chichester suggests, overall it's been a disappointing morning for us. In the latest round of CC matches, we're the only bowling side not obviously on top.

Not too surprised by Linley's recall - thought that was the likely reason he didn't play in the seconds game which only finished yesterday. Whilst I really like the Viscount, I'm far from convinced by the decision to omit Meaker.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

The Viscount bowls Robson in the first over following the rain extended lunch.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:24 pm

Dernbach gets 2 in 2 balls, great start after the delay.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:25 pm

great fight back by the lads.... Dernbach v impressive... anyone shed any light on why Brain came on before him this morning?

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:37 pm

I think it's just a very bizarre game plan that I will never understand! We have 4 frontline seamers and Brain comes on as first change. Ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:47 pm

I get the impression that Adams and Hyphen think Brain is worth an early short bowl in seaming conditions. He actually opened the bowling in Sussex's second innings the other day.

Brain is also generally quite tidy and doesn't give much away. That may have come into the reckoning with him replacing Linley early on this morning - Linley didn't settle into a groove and went at almost 5 an over in his opening brief spell.

I don't have a great issue with Brain bowling but believe it's more likely to be effective as a surprise element. He's in danger of bowling a bit too much for that to be the case.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

Another wicket for the Viscount as he bowls the Ice Man!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

guildfordbat wrote:I get the impression that Adams and Hyphen think Brain is worth an early short bowl in seaming conditions. He actually opened the bowling in Sussex's second innings the other day.

Brain is also generally quite tidy and doesn't give much away. That may have come into the reckoning with him replacing Linley early on this morning - Linley didn't settle into a groove and went at almost 5 an over in his opening brief spell.

I don't have a great issue with Brain bowling but believe it's more likely to be effective as a surprise element. He's in danger of bowling a bit too much for that to be the case.

He should be bowling as a partnership breaker or if the others have all failed, no way he should be on ahead of an England international. Noyt exactly the same but imagine England bringing Bopara on instead of Bresnan.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:51 pm

thanks Guildford bat and Carrotdude! getting better by the minute.. Linley's bowled Berg... 108-6!!! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by HappierSurreyFan Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:23 pm

Hi Guys

As you can see a change of name and no post for a few days this is due to unexpected problems logging on which was strange as my username and password comes up automatically for me!!! Oh Well

Anyway how we getting on??? A quick glance shows a good start and the Viscount starting Very Happy I'm guessing the weather forecast for the 4 days isnt great so would be good to knock them over cheaply Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread 1347041234

HappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:40 pm

Jon 'Never Knowingly Underbowled' Lewis skittles Rayner. 132 -7.

Very encouraging and a massive turnaround since lunch but we still need to get the obdurate Malan ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by HappierSurreyFan Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:43 pm

Top of the off stump apparently OK

Lets finish a team off for once, under 200 would do me Very Happy

HappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 5:24 pm

156/7 now, Murtagh and Malan being stubborn. Hope that for once we don't let the tail get away, although Murtagh is a very decent batsman.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

Carrotdude wrote:156/7 now, Murtagh and Malan being stubborn. Hope that for once we don't let the tail get away, although Murtagh is a very decent batsman.
Yep, Murtagh's certainly a good batsman to have at number nine.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

Murtagh and Malan take the score to 179-7 with a highly valuable (for Middlesex) and annoying (for Surrey) 50 partnership.

Murtagh on 30. Malan on 43 from 132 balls which, in the context of the conditions and the game, appears very much to his credit.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:22 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Murtagh and Malan take the score to 179-7 with a highly valuable (for Middlesex) and annoying (for Surrey) 50 partnership.

Murtagh on 30. Malan on 43 from 132 balls which, in the context of the conditions and the game, appears very much to his credit.
Thought that would do it!

Batty snaffles Murtagh LBW. Another small but important contribution from Batty.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:31 pm

Malan and Roland-Jones move the score on to 193-8. This is where I wish we had Meaker to blow away Roly-Jones and then the ferret like Collymore.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:39 pm

Malan gets his 50 clap as Middlesex reach 200 and a batting point.

Jordan has just conceded 14 off an over - 10 off the bat and a couple of no balls (each costing 2 runs)! Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by HappierSurreyFan Thu 12 Apr 2012, 7:34 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Makes me MAD Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread 3181402168

HappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:17 pm

225 - 9. Looks like about 50 too many. Dernbach 19 overs 3 for 33 very tight. Nearly all the other sides bowling first today polished off the innings very quickly.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:19 pm

First day ends with Middlesex on 225-9.

Following comments based on listening to Churchy more than I should have done in the afternoon and from a Surrey viewpoint (bias Wink ). Look forward to Shelsey's rounded view from the ground later on.

Bowling honours to Dernbach with 3-33 off 19 overs. Useful return of 2-35 from the Viscount on his own return after a nervy beginning. A couple as well for Lewis with one apiece for the miserly Batty and a comparatively expensive River.

As always with Surrey, a day of twists and turns. Of all the teams bowling in today's CC games, we were in the wost position at lunch having taken just two wickets and conceded 86 runs. Following a rain delay, Dernbach and Viscount had us well on top with Middlesex struggling on 108-6. However, it now looks like we have let the Middlesex tail wag too much. Valuable runs from our old friend Dial M and Roly-Jones. However, the batting star was clearly the obdurate Malan - he's still there on 62 with Collymore keeping him company.

Despite his late wicket, I thought River bowled too much. He was more expensive than Viscount and Lewis as well as taking a wicket less yet bowled an over more (16 to their 15 each). He was also the worst offender as regards no balls. So far, we've conceded 18 runs in no balls and wides - that's very poor and could be costly in a low scoring game.

I hardly heard Davies' name mentioned on his return. I guess that means he had a good day behind the stumps. No byes conceded plus a catch to his credit. Much as Third Degree impressed on CC debut last week, Davies brings a strength and solidity to the team.

Clearly we need to bring Middlesex's innings to a close first thing tomorrow. Then the hard work really starts as we bat. In particular, Rudolph will need to show his class and Ramps prove his critics wrong. It won't be easy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:30 pm

OK. My report from Lord's today.

The first thing to say is that there was a very decent crowd in - it would be counted in thousands rather than hundreds, and the Grand Stand (where I was for most of the day) was at least a third full, which is good going for a county game. There were a lot of youngsters and families in too, suggesting that the idea that you have to be 60+ to appreciate the County Championship is wide of the mark.

I was a little surprised by Hamilton-Brown's decision to bowl first. It was a little cloudy, but hardly archetypal swinging conditions, and the pitch (from a distance) looked pretty flat. And the first session suggested to me that he got it wrong. I was very impressed with Sam Robson, who I haven't seen before. He left well, played a lot off his legs and was rarely troubled in his 40. Lewis beat the bat a few times up front and of course got Denly, but Linley's opening spell was ineffective. I was perplexed by de Bruyn then being brought on - I assume that RHB had a hunch for swing, but in reality he didn't threaten at all either. The Rogers lbw to Dernbach looked a bit questionable from side on (he was a long way down the pitch and it hit quite high on the pad), but he walked off without any fuss. Nevertheless, at lunch Middx. were well on top and it looked like Surrey had got their tactics completely wrong.

We then had the hour long rain delay before play resumed. Linley switched ends and his first over from the Pavilion End was brilliant, beating Robson's bat on at least two occasions before bowling him with the last delivery. Malan showed some intent straight away, flicking his first ball off his legs but played-and-missed quite a few times early on. Dernbach then took two wickets in two balls. Dexter made a terrible misjudgment - first playing the ball, then pulling out and being bowled - and Simpson's first-baller was just one of those things which can happen first ball. But it was a good spell from Dernbach, always asking questions and pretty quick.

The Middlesex lower order (Murtagh and Roland-Jones aren't really tailenders) batted very sensibly, taking runs from loose deliveries (mostly from Jordan) but not taking undue risks. Malan too started to come good, although his knock hasn't been thrilling by any means, as a strike rate of 36 would suggest and, as I have said, he struggled at times.

RHB set some very interesting fields at the end (4 slips and 2 gullies at one stage) as he looked to wrap things up tonight, but it didn't work until a couple of overs from the end when TRJ knicked off against Jordan. Jordan was, however, distinctly unimpressive in my view - he rarely beat the bat and was the most expensive of the bowlers.

The pitch probably merits more than 225 on first innings (though this was remarkably the highest score of the day across the country) and so Surrey should consider themselves to be on top right now.

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:02 pm

Thanks for the report Shelsey (who do you support btw?) Good to hear that Surrey haven't completely blown it, perhaps it is a bit harsh for us to get annoyed at our failure to finish an innings off again when the lower order contain Raynor, Murtagh and TRJ who, like you say, are pretty decent with the bat.

I agree with both of the above about River as well, although he has shown improvement I would have rather had Meaker in for him as Jordan isn't likely to do too much more with the bat and Meaker much more effective with the ball (imo).

Hopefully we'll wrap it up quickly tomorrow and we'll get ourselves a decent 1st innings score on the board. I think a lot will depend on the (relative) grafters Reindeer, Brain and Gramps against a very good seam attack.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:05 pm

Maybe Gramps will be inspired to show his quality to Middlesex just one more time! Hopefully the Reindeer also will lock horns with opposition

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:08 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Thanks for the report Shelsey (who do you support btw?) Good to hear that Surrey haven't completely blown it, perhaps it is a bit harsh for us to get annoyed at our failure to finish an innings off again when the lower order contain Raynor, Murtagh and TRJ who, like you say, are pretty decent with the bat.

I agree with both of the above about River as well, although he has shown improvement I would have rather had Meaker in for him as Jordan isn't likely to do too much more with the bat and Meaker much more effective with the ball (imo).

Hopefully we'll wrap it up quickly tomorrow and we'll get ourselves a decent 1st innings score on the board. I think a lot will depend on the (relative) grafters Reindeer, Brain and Gramps against a very good seam attack.

I am largely neutral although all of my live viewing features Middlesex (either at Lord's or Southgate). So in that sense you could say I'm a Middx fan Very Happy But I live in Herts. so don't have a natural FC county to follow.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:30 pm

Shelsey - thanks for your report.

Pleased to hear there was good, mixed age crowd. Encouraging on several fronts.

You appear to be very tactful about 'River' Jordan's bowling. A respected poster on the Surrey supporters site refers to him ''bowling tripe''!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm

He isn't that bad, he's probably our 5th best seamer but gets in on his batting I guess. No reason for him to bowl so much though.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:34 am

Got back from a losing day at Aintree Sad When I saw 225-9 I was quite pleased, but delving deeper it could have been better, and looking at other teams in the CC being rolled over for under 200 (including Lancs against a Sussex team we comfortably beat!) it could've been much better.
River certainly seems flavour of the month at chez Adams, but I would much rather have Meaker playing.
Great report Shelsey - cheers for that

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:24 am

Currently 22 partnership for the 10th wicket. Why am I not surprised?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:34 am

Surrey in 'letting the 'in' batsman farm the strike' non-shock.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:58 am

Jordan finally gets Malan but not before Middlesex make it over 250. 256 all out and another 74 for the last 2 wickets, same as last week.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:00 pm

Surrey have moved safely to 35-0 at lunch.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

54-0. Slow but steady progress clap

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

85-1. Rudolph runs down the pitch and gets stumped off Raynor's third ball. Pretty silly but a solid start.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

50 for Davies and 100 for Surrey. Ramps sounds like he's struggling once again Sad.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:46 pm

109/1 at tea clap

Lot of work still to do but a great session Smile.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by HappierSurreyFan Fri 13 Apr 2012, 4:08 pm

Just started raining in Croydon with very dark clouds and thunder! Cant see us getting to much more play.

109/1 great start if we can get the overs in we must have a decent chance here

HappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 4:26 pm

Davies gone early after tea for a very good 62. Ramps currently on 6 off 46 balls!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by HappierSurreyFan Fri 13 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

SOunds hard work for the batsman at the moment!

HappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Apr 2012, 4:54 pm

120-2.

Hard work indeed, Happier!

Brain has one run off 26 balls faced. In comparison, Gramps is racing along with 7 off 58.

Still, no need to chuck wickets away. Keep going, guys.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by HappierSurreyFan Fri 13 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

Think your rihjt Guildford, lets keep wickets in nhand tonight and worry about the run rate tomorrow, anyone know the weather forecast for the weekend??

HappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next