The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic glory

+3
paulcz
noleisthebest
newballs
7 posters

Go down

Olympic glory Empty Olympic glory

Post by newballs Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:09 pm

Both Watson and Murray appear to believe that a gold medal in the Olympics is even more important winning Wimbledon or any other slam according to media reports

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2128301/London-2012-Olympics-Heather-Watson-targets-gold-Wimbledon-crown.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2127861/Andy-Murray-Olympics-bigger-Grand-Slams.html

Andy makes the point that an Olympics gold medal will mean something even to those who don't know anything about the tennis slams but I just wonder if they aren't getting a bit carried away here. Yes, you'll only ever win one Olympic medal in your home country for sure but if Andy was really offered the choice of either a Wimbledon slam title or a gold medal would he really choose the latter?

Murray, of course, has a realistic chance whilst no-one else seemingly has any chance of making the men's draw. Watson, on the other hand, will have to probably look for a wild card. Baltacha may just about scrape in but even if she does Heather may well will be up against both Keothavong and Robson for perhaps one place between them according to the rule book. It'll be interesting who the ITF pick as, unlike Wimbledon, they can't be seen to favour Brits and hand out wild cards willy nilly to all and sundry.

Are they both right to talk up the Olympics in this way and does it really matter in the scheme of things if Andy won an Olympic title at Wimbledon rather than that elusive slam? And yes I know both links are to that notorious lover of all things British the Daily Mail but surely slams titles mean something in tennis that the Olympics doesn't.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Olympic glory Empty Re: Olympic glory

Post by noleisthebest Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:40 pm

I think tennis at the Olympics has come of age now, it's another "thing" to win and bring joy even to those who don't follow tennis.
Olympic tennis may have little tradition per se, but the Olympic Games themselves do.
As Murray (and Nole) say, it's a unique and inspiring experience to be with all world's best athletes in one spot, for many it's one in a lifetime chance, so why not?
It's best of 3, so it shouldn't be too taxing.

I used to love Olympics as a child and watched almost everything on TV, they have lost a lot of that glamour in the meantime mainly due to doping and freaks modern demands and never-satitating need for breaking records have done to athletes.
I don't even want to know what a top gymnast looks like these days, but remember the days when the girls looked like women not preschool children.

tennis is from that point of view untainted, so I look forward to it, esp as I won the ticket for men's singles final (gold medal) Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I think tennis at the Olympics has come of age now, it's another "thing" to win and bring joy even to those who don't follow tennis.
Olympic tennis may have little tradition per se, but the Olympic Games themselves do.
As Murray (and Nole) say, it's a unique and inspiring experience to be with all world's best athletes in one spot, for many it's one in a lifetime chance, so why not?

I used to love Olympics as a child and watched almost everything on TV, they have lost a lot of that glamour in the meantime mainly due to doping and freaks modern demands and never-satitating need for breaking records have done to athletes.
I don't even want to know what a top gymnast looks like these days, but remember the days when the girls looked like women not preschool children.

tennis is from that point of view untainted, so I look forward to it, esp as I won the ticket for men's singles final (gold medal) Cool

OK The final of OG will be like a revival of Wimbledon only a month later, so the players will be well adapted to lawn courts. Can be very happy. I consider going to Master in Rome, have you been there? Not sure about the buying tickets.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:32 pm

It's up to them but nobody will decide players standings based once Olympics.

I can see it being attractive to Watson as she'll never win much, but surprised t Murray.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:46 pm

paulcz wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I think tennis at the Olympics has come of age now, it's another "thing" to win and bring joy even to those who don't follow tennis.

OK The final of OG will be like a revival of Wimbledon only a month later, so the players will be well adapted to lawn courts. Can be very happy. I consider going to Master in Rome, have you been there? Not sure about the buying tickets.
No. I'd get tickets well in advance, ideally a package.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:23 pm

Oh Andy! Stop it. I resisted saying something after the "Murray promises bold feats on clay" article in todays Times and now your making me bite my tongue again... I think your just trying to get me into trouble...

At least your stopping me worrying about how lower ranked players can afford to eat...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 1:13 am

I think the olympics as others have stated has definetly grown in importance for the tennis world. The top players really seem to treat as being one of the highlights of their careers to compete. This wasn't always the case of course with all the top guys really itching to get into the olympics. And of course I think Murray is being a bit overzealous when he says winning the olympics in his home country would be bigger than a slam. I don't think he or anyone else really believes that. I think the olympics as it stands is right now the 5th most important trophy in tennis. It will not define your career within the tennis world as much as a grandslam victory. Although an olympic gold has its own intrinsic value for the casual fan or for person who maybe doesn't follow the sport as intently. It is a great title to have, "olympic gold" winner.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 14 Apr 2012, 5:20 am

There are obviously greater prizes in tennis than the OG as there are for football.

However, an Olympic medal is a fantastic thing and of course it would be wonderful for Murray to win the gold on his home turf.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down