The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saints v Tigers : Cockerill calls for calm

+4
Equo Troiano
bluestonevedder
formerly known as Sam
Portnoy
8 posters

Go down

Saints v Tigers : Cockerill calls for calm Empty Saints v Tigers : Cockerill calls for calm

Post by Portnoy Wed 04 Apr 2012, 9:23 am

Could be an extra-spicy affair after the Callum Clarke incident but it's pleasing to read that Cockerill is seemingly attempting to pour oil (hopefully not of the flammable variety) over potentially troubled waters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17587425

From which I highlight the following:
'Cockerill was furious following the incident, describing Clark's actions as "completely out of order"
But he said the matter is now closed. '

and

'And the great East Midlands rivals face each in a crucial match on Saturday, 14 April but Cockerill is not worried the clash will be any more spicy than normal.
"The clubs are fantastic rivals. They are a great club, who we have a huge amount of respect for and vice versa.
"We all get a bit heated and emotional about our team and rightly so but when it comes to it we all want what's best for the game.
"When we meet in a couple of weeks it will be heated and a frantic, hard battle but let's hope it's an honest one and we can all get on with playing good rugby." '.

Amen to that.

Last edited by Portnoy on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Article title)
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Saints v Tigers : Cockerill calls for calm Empty Re: Saints v Tigers : Cockerill calls for calm

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:29 am

Since when are Saints vs Tigers games calm? Having said that the last game at Franklins Gardens was played in good spirits so maybe it's the atmosphere at Welford Rd or in a cup final that psyches the players up so much. Let's hope for a good game of rugby and no off the ball stuff.

I'd go for:

1.Ayerza
2.Chuter
3.Cole
4.Skivington (was a tough call over Slater)
5.Parling
6.Croft (another tough call, this time over Mafi)
7.Salvi
8.Waldrom
9.Youngs
10.Flood
11.Hamilton (tough on Alesana but he is a hot head and this is a game for cool ones)
12.Twelvetrees (in better form than Allen)
13.Manu
14.Agulla
15.Murphy

Bench: Mulipola, T Youngs, Castro, Mafi (harsh on Kitchener), Newby, Harrison, Ford, Smith.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Saints v Tigers : Cockerill calls for calm Empty Re: Saints v Tigers : Cockerill calls for calm

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:34 am

I'd be tempted to go for Slater over Skivington Sam. I don't think Skiv's defence has been up to scratch-missing quite a few tackles, and he seems slow around the pitch. Slater's really impressed me recently, constantly improving

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

The offending player is banned, I seriously doubt the rest of the team will be looking to punish the remaining Saints collectively for his actions. This seems like yet another case of the media and some fans fanning flames, they probably ought to leave it well alone.

Hartley isn't playing either, Saints are denuded in the front row. Frankly, Saints have enough of their own worries, without starting trouble on the pitch that 'could' see sin-binnings or retrospective punishment.

I disagree that Alesana shouldn't play due to his temperament. Okay, he can be erratic in terms of form, but he's a serious wrecking ball and Cockers would be mad to play Hamilton in his place. This is a match for 1st choice players, not sympathetic replacements 'just in case'.

Tigers 'must' win this match to keep the pressure on Saffacens, I suspect that they will go and do what is required in smash and grab style.

Last edited by Equo Troiano on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

If only we could get the game sponsored by the Indiana Jones publicists. We might be able to sneak Harrison Ford under the the radar of the Mr Fussies brigade. Wink
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:49 am

I'd be tempted to go for Slater over Skivington Sam. I don't think Skiv's defence has been up to scratch-missing quite a few tackles, and he seems slow around the pitch. Slater's really impressed me recently, constantly improving

True and Slater did play well against Worcester (unfortunate YC aside) but I think Cockers will go for experience in this one. Slater could be a good option off the bench but with Mafi in form at the minute he has go to be preferred there. Tough call Slater vs Skivington but then again Kitchener was brilliant vs Worcester so Parling is going to have to be on his toes in training as well.

I disagree that Alesana shouldn't play due to his temperament. Okay, he can be erratic in terms of form, but he's a serious wrecking ball and Cockers would be mad to play Hamilton in his place. This is a match for 1st choice players, not sympathetic replacements 'just in case'.

Too easily wound up against Worcester, Saints will try something similar on the back of that and it will be a penalty and Tigers down to 14 for 10 mins or more. It's to big a game to risk that sort of thing. Hamilton played well against Saints in the cup final and is finding some decent form at the minute. Bring back Alesana for the Quins game when we'll need more go forward in attack but against Saints cool heads and work rate will be the name of the game.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:01 am

Too easily wound up?

As far as I remember, he reacted adversely to just one incident, that, which was off the ball in an unprovoked shove in the back.

I just think (hope) that Saints will be too concerned about winning this match and retaining other key players to be trying on this type of shenannigan. True Hamilton has a better temperament, but Tuilagi is surely the preferred player due to his gain line breaking ability and strength?

I hope Cockers starts him.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:07 am

Yes the Worcester play should have seen a card but Alesana's first reaction was to turn around and swing. He got himself sent off against Saints earlier in the year for attempting to punch the lights out of Ashton (okay we backed him on that one) but his form doesn't warrant the risk we'd be taking.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

I think we'll agree to disagree. If I were a Saints player, i'd rather see Hamilton's name on the team sheet than Tuilagi's, thats for sure.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 5:26 pm

As a Saints fan I would rather Hamilton played but I understand what fkaS is saying. Plus I don't think it will change the result, Tigers form is currently way above that of Saints. Don't let the Wasps and Bath results give a false impression that Saints are playing well - we have looked flat since the beginning of the 6N and although Foden has made us look dangerous on counter attack elsewhere things just aren't clicking like they were earlier in the season. If we do end up holding off the Chiefs then my guess is all other 3 teams above us will want to face us in the play off's.

I've been impressed by Cockerill over recent weeks. He was rightly upset when the Clark incident first occurred but he handled it very well as it went on (plus Dorian West will give him a kicking if he steps out of line too much Wink ).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:06 pm

Its a bit hard to get a read on Saints at the moment. They were in absolute sleep wak mode against Wasps. The Bath match was a rather uninspiring victory and Bath (ie. Steven Donald) blew a number of scoring opportunities.

Losing Clark doesn't bother me much, but losing Hartley does. It will be important to get the front row moving forward right from the off or it might be a long day. And for the life of me, I still don't have any confidence in Ryan Lamb. I'd rather see Myler any time.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:37 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Its a bit hard to get a read on Saints at the moment. They were in absolute sleep wak mode against Wasps. The Bath match was a rather uninspiring victory and Bath (ie. Steven Donald) blew a number of scoring opportunities.

Losing Clark doesn't bother me much, but losing Hartley does. It will be important to get the front row moving forward right from the off or it might be a long day. And for the life of me, I still don't have any confidence in Ryan Lamb. I'd rather see Myler any time.

Unusually when subbing a starting FH for a bench player, what you are guaranteed is a different style of play from the Saints. Mostly when tens are switched, you get a slight variation of the same.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

Not any spicier than normal is hardly reassuring given recent history!

The other title rivals must love this, watching Tigers and Saints slowly getting their entire squads suspended.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:07 pm

As a team, Tigers are not one to step back from provocation. Perhaps we can hope the spirit of Easter will affect them and they will turn the other cheek.

If we get out of this game without a player banned I would be shocked.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:44 am

LondonTiger wrote:As a team, Tigers are not one to step back from provocation. Perhaps we can hope the spirit of Easter will affect them and they will turn the other cheek.

If we get out of this game without a player banned I would be shocked.
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing: I would also be surprised if you get out of the match without any of yours boys banned. Couldn't happen to any Saints players. All we have left are our choirboys.

Why do you want the spirit of Nick Easter to infect your team? Not fat enough?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:08 am

All we have left are our choirboys
laughing

I can see a double sending off Manu/Ashton or Alesana/Wood style. Having said that, other than he who must not be named's cheap shot on Hawkins, the LV Cup game was played aggressively but in good spirits. A replay of that plus some additional tries and minus the piece of foul play would be good.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:11 am

I think you chaps are worrying over nothing TBH, with provocators and reactees likely to be as equally harshly treated by the officials, both coaches will be stressing the importance of discipline. On and off the ball.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:19 am

For me the ideal result would be:

Tigers win with TBP and Saints also to get a LBP plus a TBP.

And no Y/RCs.

That'd be the perfect, exciting game.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down