The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex Dunbar - the answer at 13?

+5
Dorothy_Mantooth
RDW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RuggerRadge2611
alexgmacdonald
9 posters

Go down

Alex Dunbar - the answer at 13? Empty Alex Dunbar - the answer at 13?

Post by alexgmacdonald Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

After some great performances in the last few Warriors games, I think Alex Dunbar will feel ver hard done by if he doesn't make the Scotland summer tour. He's shown that he's capable of playing 12 or 13 and against the Blues he thoroughly out-played Jamie Roberts making breaks and getting over the gain line nearly every time he got the ball. He set up 2 tries and got Man of the Match for his performance. He's been showing his class over the past few weeks playing very well against the Ospreys and a good game against Aironi as well. I hope he continues his form because he's nailed down the 13 shirt for Glasgow at the moment, the question is, who to put inside him at 12?

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Alex Dunbar - the answer at 13? Empty Re: Alex Dunbar - the answer at 13?

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

After watching the Highlights of the Warriors vs Cardiff I thought Dunbar was fantastic.

As for who to put at 12, Jackson.

Glasgow Backline next year :

9. Cus
10. Weir
11. DTH
12. Jackson
13. Dunbar
14. Seymore
15. Hogg

Jobs a good un'
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:00 pm

That is a decent backline with the Lamont brothers, Murchie, Morrison, and Nathan as cover - not too shabby at all

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:03 pm

I appreciate it's almost certainly not what Townsend will do. I expect to see :

9. Cusiter
10. Jackson
11. DTH
12. S.Lamont/Morrison
13. Dewey
14. R.Lamont
15. Hogg
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:05 pm

I hope Townsend has the nuts to do that. Because there are some players still in the Glasgow squad that could ruin it for us...ie Morrison, Dewey, even to a certain extent the Lamonts.

Lineen has done a brilliant job at bringing the young players in and getting them performing, even though sometimes its not too pretty. I hope the young guys continue to keep the more experienced guys out of the team because that will get the attention of Andy Robinson when his favourite players cant get in their club's starting 15

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:19 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I appreciate it's almost certainly not what Townsend will do. I expect to see :

9. Cusiter
10. Jackson
11. DTH
12. S.Lamont/Morrison
13. Dewey (I hope he goes at the end of the season. Just not good enough)
14. R.Lamont
15. Hogg

Jackson at 12, more likely to see Morrison there, I'd prefer Dunbar at 12 and Hogg at 13 rather than Morrison

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:29 pm

Morrison at 12 or as I prefer to call him the flair hoover.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:09 pm

If he puts in some consistent performances then yes, definitely. However other than yesterday he hasn't really stood out in any other game I've seen.

More performances like Friday then he should defo be in the squad!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:27 pm

Dewey won't be there next season so he won't be in the backline.

Dunbar has played well in his last few games and was excellent on Friday, hopefully he will get the last three games of the regular season to cement his place in the team.

Still way too early to say he is the answer to Scotland's problem at 12 or 13. If he does stand out in the last three games and any possible playoff games then you never know, a place on the Summer tour may not be totally out of the question.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:If he puts in some consistent performances then yes, definitely. However other than yesterday he hasn't really stood out in any other game I've seen.

More performances like Friday then he should defo be in the squad!

Well, I was at the Aironi game and he consistently made ground and was solid in defence. He wasn't as prominent as the Blues game but he certainly played well.

Also, he had a great game against the Ospreys making yards and breaks. So I think he's been playing consistenly well for the last few weeks. However I do agree that he needs to keep up his form to get in the squad but he looks a very good option in attack and defense

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:36 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Dewey won't be there next season so he won't be in the backline.

Dunbar has played well in his last few games and was excellent on Friday, hopefully he will get the last three games of the regular season to cement his place in the team.

Still way too early to say he is the answer to Scotland's problem at 12 or 13. If he does stand out in the last three games and any possible playoff games then you never know, a place on the Summer tour may not be totally out of the question.

I agree that he isn't ready yet but he looks very composed, strong running, good eye for a gap and good off-loading game. So I think he's a very good prospect and I don't see the harm in giving him a chance. It worked for Stuart Hogg.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:51 pm

Alex Dunbar looks a very promising talent. Too bad we are stuck with the Bath Buffoon as he won't select him until he is 30 ish and his favourites have all retired. God only knows what BB's idiot former sidekick will do to Dunbar, Hogg, Wilson and co. next season ? furious
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:52 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Still way too early to say he is the answer to Scotland's problem at 12 or 13. If he does stand out in the last three games and any possible playoff games then you never know, a place on the Summer tour may not be totally out of the question.

This is way too sensible. Come on, the guy is young so he must therefore be good. Let's pick him for Scotland now and then by the World Cup after next he'll be world class.

He's played three pretty decent performances now. I hope Ford isn't complacent about the captaincy.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:51 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Still way too early to say he is the answer to Scotland's problem at 12 or 13. If he does stand out in the last three games and any possible playoff games then you never know, a place on the Summer tour may not be totally out of the question.

This is way too sensible. Come on, the guy is young so he must therefore be good. Let's pick him for Scotland now and then by the World Cup after next he'll be world class.

He's played three pretty decent performances now. I hope Ford isn't complacent about the captaincy.

I'm not sure what to make of that comment :P

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 02 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm

It was total nonsense - that's what it was! thumbsup

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:08 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Alex Dunbar looks a very promising talent. Too bad we are stuck with the Bath Buffoon as he won't select him until he is 30 ish and his favourites have all retired. God only knows what BB's idiot former sidekick will do to Dunbar, Hogg, Wilson and co. next season ? furious

I know you don't like AR Schiz, not sure what gives me that impression!

But you can't seriously think Wilson warranted a place over Denton can you? It's Harley that should feel agrieved for being neglected from Scotland duty, not Wilson.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:46 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Alex Dunbar looks a very promising talent. Too bad we are stuck with the Bath Buffoon as he won't select him until he is 30 ish and his favourites have all retired. God only knows what BB's idiot former sidekick will do to Dunbar, Hogg, Wilson and co. next season ? furious

But you can't seriously think Wilson warranted a place over Denton can you? It's Harley that should feel agrieved for being neglected from Scotland duty, not Wilson.

I don't think that's what he's trying to saying. I think its more to do with what Toonie will do to the young talented Glasgow players. Wilson is playing brilliantly but I'd still pick Denton. Harley is what Scotland need in their back row. A big tackling blindside. It works well with Glasgow, Harley doing the tackling, Fusaro securing ball and causing havoc at the break down and Wilson as a ball carrying 8. As induvidual players they aren't the best but as a back row unit they are up there with the best.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:13 pm

alexgmacdonald wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

I don't think that's what he's trying to saying. I think its more to do with what Toonie will do to the young talented Glasgow players. Wilson is playing brilliantly but I'd still pick Denton. Harley is what Scotland need in their back row. A big tackling blindside. It works well with Glasgow, Harley doing the tackling, Fusaro securing ball and causing havoc at the break down and Wilson as a ball carrying 8. As induvidual players they aren't the best but as a back row unit they are up there with the best.
alexg, sounds familiar, Killer B's MkII anyone?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:02 pm

The promise is certainly there. It'll be interesting next season to see how they cope with the newcomers plus Barclay giving them competition.

Wilson has certainly stepped up in the last couple of games, whilst Harley is proving to be extremely consistent.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

Thanks Alex that exactly what I meant - didn't think it was that difficult really as I thought the clue lay with 'idiot former sidekick' ! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:34 pm

You forger your demographic here schiz, I'm a fifer! Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:31 pm

The way I look at it, back row-wise Scotland have some amount of options, please tell me if I've missed someone out

6. Harley, Brown, McInally, Strokosch
7. Rennie, Fusaro, Barclay, Grant
8. Denton, Wilson, Beattie

And that's in no particular order. But I think we'll see some of the Glasgow boys fighting to get in that Scotland squad. At this point in time I'd take Fusaro over Barclay.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:43 pm

McInally is a number 8 more than a 6. Swap Denton and him and you are pretty close.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:53 pm

I've gotta say our back row options do look strong. As they generally have been historically.

I read there's a Scots qualified chap called Kieran Murphy at the Scarlets who may be one for the near future too.

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/rugby/people.php?player=99155&includeref=dynamic

I know he needs to add some bulk, but following Barcs signing a year's extension and the two new signings, could we see Harley converted to the boiler house?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

nickj wrote:I've gotta say our back row options do look strong. As they generally have been historically.

I read there's a Scots qualified chap called Kieran Murphy at the Scarlets who may be one for the near future too.

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/rugby/people.php?player=99155&includeref=dynamic

I know he needs to add some bulk, but following Barcs signing a year's extension and the two new signings, could we see Harley converted to the boiler house?
nick, wouldn't exactly be a conversion, he played most of his youth and West of Scotland career at lock - but tbh, i think that would be a waste of his talent, I'd much prefer to see Harley become Scotland's Ferris

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 04 Apr 2012, 3:31 pm

No worries ASBO. I kinda realised that, poor choice of words. My point was that I would like to see Harley's talent utilised and soon.

Personally I think Brown and Stroks are superb immediate options at 6 and Denton looks like their heir apparent.

Being 4th in line for the 6 shirt or being bench cover for Denton in 2 /3 years would be a waste of his talents too IMO.

I'd like to see him become Scotland's Hines (but a version that can actually cover 4 and 6).

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Apr 2012, 4:13 pm

nickj wrote:No worries ASBO. I kinda realised that, poor choice of words. My point was that I would like to see Harley's talent utilised and soon.

Personally I think Brown and Stroks are superb immediate options at 6 and Denton looks like their heir apparent.

Being 4th in line for the 6 shirt or being bench cover for Denton in 2 /3 years would be a waste of his talents too IMO.

I'd like to see him become Scotland's Hines (but a version that can actually cover 4 and 6).
I've seen a couple of folk commenting that Denton should be considered at 6, and I'm not so sure. Obviously he's mostly played there for Edinburgh, but in terms of his strengths (carrying the ball, hard yards, etc.) and his relative weakness (tackling), he's more of an 8 to me - other views?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 04 Apr 2012, 4:20 pm

Radge,

nae worries man - I'm off my meds dude ! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 4:23 pm

Schiz Hug

Asbo, Edinburgh are in a position where arguably 3 of their best 4 back row would probably all choose no. 8 as their prefered position :

Denton
Rambo (McInally)
Talei

So it gives Bradley something of a selection headache. I agree Denton is probably better at 8. However I feel McInally and Talei are better options at 8 than him.

Talei and McInally are not good out and out 6s and I think Denton does a better job slotting into that position....

If that makes sense

chin
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Apr 2012, 4:29 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Schiz Hug

Asbo, Edinburgh are in a position where arguably 3 of their best 4 back row would probably all choose no. 8 as their prefered position :

Denton
Rambo (McInally)
Talei

So it gives Bradley something of a selection headache. I agree Denton is probably better at 8. However I feel McInally and Talei are better options at 8 than him.

Talei and McInally are not good out and out 6s and I think Denton does a better job slotting into that position....

If that makes sense

chin
Makes sense, agree with all of that - i was thinking more at Scotland level?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 4:32 pm

Well It's a toughy. Scotland missed Kelly Brown in the 6N, no doubt about it. Stroks played well when he was on but Kelly Brown I think is Scotland's best backrower. I also think he is a much better player than he gets credit for.

I would Say Harley is the heir apparent for the 6 Shirt in Scotland with Barclay and Rennie fighting it out for the 7 jersey leaving Denton, Wilson, McInally , Beattie et al vying for the 8 slot.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 04 Apr 2012, 4:37 pm

I'm not sure I agree re Denton's tacking being a weakness, but I agree on his strengths.

I'm open to him staying at 8, but like Radge I think we've got more options at 8 than we do at 6, for the clubs and as a result for Scotland. Especially in the long term. And our options at 8 should only get better when you add a refreshed Beattie and 'born again Scot' Kieran Murphy.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:07 pm

Not sure why people don't include Richie Vernon into the Scotland back row equation. He certainly deserves to be there if you're going to include Wilson and Beattie.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 05 Apr 2012, 8:02 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Not sure why people don't include Richie Vernon into the Scotland back row equation. He certainly deserves to be there if you're going to include Wilson and Beattie.
On form?! Laugh

Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:43 am

From the SRU website :

http://www.scottishrugby.org/content/view/2716/2/

SMART ALEX PENS NEW WARRIORS DEAL

Fresh from delivering a RaboDirect Man of the Match performance in the 31-3 win over Cardiff Blues, Alex Dunbar today signed a two-year contract extension with Glasgow Warriors, committing him to the Scotstoun-based club until at least the end of May 2014.

The centre, who also played a key role in the victories against Ospreys and Aironi immediately before last Friday’s success, has earned praise from supporters and pundits alike for his ability to consistently break the line and follow up the initial dent with a positive decision.

The 22-year-old’s incisiveness and eye for a telling pass set up the third and fourth tries in the bonus-point defeat of the Blues, a result which keeps the Warriors on course to reach the RaboDirect PRO12 play-offs.

Glasgow face a crucial away double header against Munster (Saturday 14 April) and Benetton Treviso (Sunday 22 April), before finishing the regular season at home to Connacht at Firhill on Saturday 5 May.

Dunbar is relishing the prospect of playing his part in helping the Warriors achieve success both this season and in those to come, telling www.glasgowwarriors.org: “I’m delighted to have signed a new contract with Glasgow. We’re in a good place at the moment, and the team and club as a whole are in a strong position to make further progress in the next couple of years.

“I’ve really enjoyed working with and learning from the players and coaches at the club - the performances we’ve put in this season show just how good an environment has been created.

“There’s a great buzz around the whole club about the opportunity we have to finish strongly in the RaboDirect PRO12, and everyone is determined to keep winning for ourselves and the supporters.”

Head coach Sean Lineen confirmed: “I’m really happy that Alex has decided his future is with the Warriors. He’s a player whose ability has always been clear, and he’s now benefitting from getting a run in the side to prove to the wider audience that he can more than hold his own at this level.

“His displays in the Ospreys, Aironi and Cardiff matches have been very exciting to watch – he’s got power and pace and he’s also an elusive runner when he gets up that head of steam.

“There’s plenty more to come from Alex if he keeps working hard at his game, and I’m delighted that the Warriors are going to feel the benefit of that.”

Managing director Nathan Bombrys said: “Alex Dunbar is developing into a very important player for Glasgow Warriors, and we’ve made it clear that keeping our leading talent together is a key priority.

“Today’s news takes to 18 the number of frontline players whom we’ve re-signed in the last few months, and with more quality international players arriving in the summer, the squad is shaping up to be very competitive again next season.”

Dunbar, a native of Lockerbie, came through the ranks at the Annan and Selkirk clubs and represented Glasgow at every age-group level between under-14 and under-18 before signing for the Warriors in the summer of 2010.

He has so far notched up 18 appearances in the RaboDirect PRO12, scoring his first try in the 25-17 win over Benetton Treviso at Firhill last March.

Back on topic, it seems Dunbar has commited his near future to the Warriors.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:46 am

Excellent news. Really like the way Glasgow are building their side for next season OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:47 am

Me too, lets just hope Toonie proves us all wrong and carrys on from where Lineen left off.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:49 am

Munro seems to do a decent job with the pack and Taylor should be ok with defence, so for Glasgow, it's going to be all about their attack plans

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:33 pm

Great news on Dunbar, he really has stepped up to solve a problem position for Glasgow. Nathan, Murchie and Horne were not the answer for Glasgow at 13, and I feared that DTH or S Lamont, both better wingers, were going to be shoved into that role.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:39 pm

Good young centre - bags of potential Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:26 pm

Yeah he was my standout vs the Blues, what I like about him the most is his power and awareness of the what was going on around him. Really hope he makes summer tour.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down