The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIRA-AER Championship

+6
gowales
Coleman
DaveM
Shifty
drsambo1928
Morgannwg
10 posters

Go down

FIRA-AER Championship Empty FIRA-AER Championship

Post by Morgannwg Sun 01 Apr 2012, 7:38 pm

The U18 tournament that European nations compete in.

Wales got off to a good start by beating Italy 41-8 in Madrid. Two players that have had Regional starts for the Dragons featured (Amos 15 and Dixon 12/13), both of whom look set to have a bright future in Rugby.

Next fixture is against England I believe who had beaten Georgia 59-3 elsewhere.

The U18s don't seem to get much coverage so I'm struggling to find more info on these fixtures and the remaining ones, so input from all nationalities is welcomed. Perhaps some match info/reports if you find any. Cheers.

Wales U18 news:http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/wales/news/wales_u18_news.php
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

FIRA-AER Championship Empty Re: FIRA-AER Championship

Post by drsambo1928 Sun 01 Apr 2012, 7:50 pm

Come on Ireland, playing Portugal, don't know when though.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:01 pm

If you can dig up any info from the Ireland rugby official website, please post it.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:05 pm

http://www.fira-aer-rugby.com/group-93.htm

Is this what your looking for?
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:17 pm

Pretty good Alyn, thanks. I think I need to read up on the tournament format though. Seems like they have jumped straight to the Quarter finals?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:29 pm

Ireland beat France 22-20. Nice to see the youngsters don't share the seniors incapability of beating France. They now face England who beat Wales 22-16.

Ireland will face England and Wales shall now face France. Other info at: http://www.fira-aer-rugby.com/group-93.htm
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:49 pm

I've a feeling England lost to Ireland in the final last year. A chance for revenge perhaps.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:42 pm

Wales Under 18 team v France, Saturday 7 April, 3rd Place Play-Off,
Justin Bridou FIRA-AER European Championship, Madrid

H Amos (Dragons); A Evans (Ospreys), B Roberts (Ospreys), S Hughes (Scarlets), D Howells (Ospreys); J Maynard (Scarlets), J Raikes (Blues); N Smith (Ospreys), E Dee (Dragons), N Thomas (Ospreys), J Helps (Scarlets), B Roach (Blues, capt), C Davies (Ospreys), S Parker (Blues), J Benjamin (Dragons)
Replacements: S Otten (Ospreys), G Rees McPherson (Blues), C Lewis (Blues), S Matthews (Dragons), S Andrews (Dragons), L Crane (Dragons), G Thomson (Blues), J Dixon (Dragons), L Hudd (Dragons)
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:43 pm

DaveM, do you know of any previous results in this competition, i:e previous winners?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 06 Apr 2012, 2:02 pm

Good to see Portugal in there, dont look to be push overs either.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 06 Apr 2012, 3:40 pm

Good to see Amos in the Wales side. He could be fast tracked into the seniors in a couple of years!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 06 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

Personally I'd like to see him and dixon attached to Premiership sides now and be given more run-outs in the Dragons. During this time to stay in the Wales U18/U20s squad though to strengthen our academies. I don't doubt the academies ability to give us players because they certainly do that, they just need to start producing the results more regulary. England barely get a challenge at this level unless they play the big 3.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 07 Apr 2012, 8:33 pm

England beat Ireland in the final 25-13

http://www.rfu.com/News/2012/April/NewsArticles/070412_18s_fira_final.aspx

England Under 18 are the proud owners of the Justin Bridou trophy after beating Ireland 25-13 in the FIRA/AER European Championship final.

Tries from Harry Thacker, Javiah Pohe and Scott Wilson helped England to the win in Madrid, while fly half Billy Burns contributed seven points, and his replacement Sam Olver three.

The win rounds off a faultless season for John Fletcher’s side, having already achieved wins against France, Scotland, Georgia and Wales.

England got off to a dream start and with two minutes on the clock were 7-0 up. A swift team move across field opened up space for hooker Harry Thacker to dive over, Burns converted from out wide.

Ireland had the chance to reduce the deficit with a penalty, but fly half Conor McKeon scuffed his kick wide of the posts.

With 15 on the clock England added their second try to go 12-0 up. Patient build up eventually freed Javiah Pohe who showed a nice step before going over the line – his third try in as many games.

But two quick penalties from Ireland’s Mckeon brought the half to a close with England 12-6 up.

Burns added three points to England’s lead early in the second period and prop Scott Wilson got England’s third try fifteen minutes later – forcing the ball down after a successful driving maul to make it 22-6.

Ireland got their only try with ten minutes left to play when replacement Cian Kelleher sidestepped two English defenders to make it 22-13, but replacement fly half Olver gave England some breathing space and drew the scoring to a close with a penalty.

Speaking after the 25-13 victory, Fletcher said: "We've gone unbeaten all season which in my eyes is a Grand Slam, we're really pleased with all the efforts, and it's not just this game – it's been throughout the campaign.

"A lot of these guys were in the Under 17 squad last season and they've come through and worked extremely hard and they deserve this win against Ireland. They deserve everything they get. Their effort, commitment and work rate was excellent and considering the nature of the game it was a really good performance."

Points: Thacker 1T, Pohe 1T, Wilson 1T; Burns 2C, 1P, Olver 1P.

England Under 18 starting XV
15 Zach Kibirige (Yarm School) (Newcastle Falcons)
14 George Catchpole (Leicester Grammar) (Leicester Tigers)
13 Tom Stephenson (Moulton College) (Northampton Saints)
12 Javiah Pohe (Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth 1st) (Leicester Tigers)
11 Joshua Watkins (Bromsgrove School) (Worcester Warriors)
10 Billy Burns (Hartpury College) (Gloucester Rugby)
9 Callum Braley (Hartpury College) (Bristol Rugby)

1 Harry Rudkin (Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth 1st) (Leicester Tigers)
2 Harry Thacker (Leicester Grammar) (Leicester Tigers)
3 Scott Wilson (Sedbergh School) (Newcastle Falcons)
4 Maro Itoje (Harrow School) (Saracens)
5 Charlie Ewels (Bryanston School) (Bath Rugby)
6 Ross Moriarty (Hartpury College) (Gloucester Rugby)
7 Gus Jones (c) (Eton College) (London Wasps)
8 Joel Conlon (Ivybridge Community College) (Exeter Chiefs)

Replacements
16 Reece Marshall (Moulton College) (Northampton Saints)
17 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Moulton College) (Northampton Saints) on for Harry Rudkin 38 mins
18 Alex Lundberg (Hampton) (London Wasps)
19 Jake Oldaker (Wellington College) (Bath Rugby) on for Charlie Ewels 57 mins
20 Josh Buggea (Hartpury College) (Worcester Warriors) on for Joel Conlon 47 mins
21 Tom Chapman (Colfe School) (Saracens) on for Callum Braley 55 mins
22 Sam Olver (Oundle Schhol) (Northampton Saints) on for Billy Burns 55 mins
23 Nick Carpenter (Filton College) (Bristol Rugby) on for Javiah Pohe 63 mins
24 Nathan Earle (Oaklands) (Saracens)
25 Max Northcote-Green (Millfield) (Bath Rugby)
26 Howard Packman (Moulton College) (Northampton Saints)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 07 Apr 2012, 8:36 pm

Ireland:

William Dardis (Terenure College/Leinster); David Johnston (Rockwell College/Munster), Rory O'Loughlin (St. Michael's College/Leinster), Harrison Brewer (Terenure College/Leinster), Gregory O'Shea (Crescent College/Munster); Conor McKeon (Gonzaga College/Leinster), Bobby Holland (St. Michael's College/Leinster); Charlie Slowey (CBC Cork/Munster), Max Abbott (PBC Cork/Munster), Eoghan McKeever (CBC Monkstown/Leinster), Ross Molony (St. Michael's College/Leinster), Sean O'Brien (CC Roscrea/Connacht), Rory Maloney (CC Roscrea/Leinster), Daniel Leavy (St. Michael's College/Leinster) (capt), Peadar Timmins (Clongowes Wood College/Leinster).

Replacements: Dylan Donnellan (Clongowes Wood College/Leinster), Aidan Slattery (PBC Cork/Munster), Shane Delahunt (Kilkenny College/Leinster), Shane Boyle (Sligo GS/Connacht), Darragh Moloney (CBC Cork/Munster), Josh Fullerton (CCB/Ulster), Gearoid Lyons (Crescent College/Munster), Stephen O'Neill (Terenure College/Leinster), Cian Kelleher (St. Michael's College/Leinster), Cormac O'Donnell (St. Munchin's College/Munster), Jack O'Neill (Castleknock College/Leinster).
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:16 pm

Just an observation but i'm slightly worried that there's not a single Quins academy boy in that team.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

Educational backgrounds:

From a quick shufty through the list:

England Under 18 starting and replacements players (total 26)

State schools and CFEs (12)

Moulton CFE - 4
Hartpury CFE - 4
QE1 - 2
Ivybridge - 1
Filton - 1

Does that represent progress across the country or not in terms of social divides in the game and/or sporting facilities and provisions?

Last edited by Portnoy on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mis-spelling of 'education'. Ho ho!)
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:16 am

yappysnap wrote:Just an observation but i'm slightly worried that there's not a single Quins academy boy in that team.

I shouldn’t worry about it, every club has a dry year and besides in this year’s U20’s you’ve got:

Charlie Walker
George Merrick
Jack Clifford
Kyle Sinkler
Sam Twomey

Not to mention in last year’s U20’s you had

Rob Buchanan
Will Collier
Charlie Matthews
Plus you’d have had Sam Stuart if he hadn’t been injured

Maybe be excited about these lot coming into your team before you worry about any more lads coming through! Wink
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:23 am

Portnoy wrote:Educatial backgrounds:

From a quick shufty through the list:

England Under 18 starting and replacements players (total 26)

Moulton CFE - 4
Hartpury CFE - 4
QE1 - 2
Ivybridge - 1
Filton - 1

Does that represent progress across the country or not in terms of social divides in the game and/or sporting facilities and provisions?

Without doing the donkey work of actually looking, I think it is open than it used to be in terms of the schools. But I think it is worth noting that even if they aren't private schools, they are still in traditional 'rugby areas' like the West Country or East Midlands.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:19 pm

Cumbrian wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Just an observation but i'm slightly worried that there's not a single Quins academy boy in that team.

I shouldn’t worry about it, every club has a dry year and besides in this year’s U20’s you’ve got:

Charlie Walker
George Merrick
Jack Clifford
Kyle Sinkler
Sam Twomey

Not to mention in last year’s U20’s you had

Rob Buchanan
Will Collier
Charlie Matthews
Plus you’d have had Sam Stuart if he hadn’t been injured

Maybe be excited about these lot coming into your team before you worry about any more lads coming through! Wink

Thanks Cumbrian, that's cheered me up no end Smile

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:23 pm

Morgannwg wrote:DaveM, do you know of any previous results in this competition, i:e previous winners?

Sorry, no. England did lose in the final to Ireland last year - I seem to recall it rained but that England were deservedly beaten. They then went to Australia and won all their games, which was a real achievement. Earlier in the season though I think they lost to Scotland at home. They may have lost another game too.

Going back before last season I think England u18s (some of whom went on to form last years excellent u20s side) were unbeaten for a long time.

The u18s come from many different clubs and so whilst England have an obvious advantage over many countries in terms of resources the u18s do have to learn to play together.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:25 pm

Portnoy wrote:

Moulton CFE - 4
Hartpury CFE - 4
QE1 - 2
Ivybridge - 1
Filton - 1

Maybe some progress, and some of the private school players may be on rugby scholarships. Still lots more to be done though. The 2015 WC is a real opportunity to increase the number of kids from different backgrounds who play.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:08 am

Past Winners:

2012: England Runners Up: Ireland
2011: Ireland Runners Up: England
2010: France Runners Up: Ireland
2009: France Runners Up: England
2008: France Runners Up: Ireland
2007: France Runners Up: Ireland
2006: England Runners Up: France
2005: England Runners Up: France
2004: France

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Under-18_Rugby_Union_Championship#section_5
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:18 am

I think it is worth noting that England quite often promote U18 players to the U20's a year early. For instance George Ford was promoted a year early last year. The likes of Dom Barrow, Anthony Watson, Jack Nowell, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Sam Hill and Scott Spurling are still eligible to play U18 rugby this year, but have been moved up already.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:29 am

The legendary Maro Itoje pops up again.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:33 am

Aye, he's created a bit of a stir without having to do that much! I must admit I'd not heard of him before the RFU put his profile up a few months ago. As a Sarries fan, have you seen/ know much more about him? Do you know how the club rates him?

Looks decent in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnBm6q2Inl8
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down