The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview

2 posters

Go down

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview Empty Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview

Post by yappysnap Wed 28 Mar 2012 - 12:37

Last weekend's Premiership action saw the top four close the gap to just 10 points between 4th and 1st place. Outside of the top four there are still three teams with a chance of breaking in, although it would require some of the pace setters to slip up massively along the way.

At the other end of the table there are now just 8 points between the bottom two clubs with the loser facing potential relegation.

The table as it stands:

Harlequins 62
Saracens 59
Leicester 55
Northampton 52
Exeter 49
Gloucester 42
Sale 40
Bath 39
London Irish 36
Worcester 35
Wasps 27
Newcastle 19

Friday 30th April

Leicester Tigers v Worcester Warriors, Welford Road, Leicester
The Tigers looked like they were back in top form last weekend against LI. With a massive and smart pack coupled with exciting half backs they are currently the form team in the league, Worcester on the other hand will be happy to just know that they are safe from relegation and you can't see them focusing too much on an away win at Welford Rd. Expect another big game from the Tigers pack who'll look to get all over the away side, if this happens then even the hard tackling Wuss defence could be stretched. Leicester by 18 with a try bp.

Newcastle Falcons v Sale Sharks, Kingston Park, Newcastle
Newcastle are currently staring down the barrel of the relegation gun and with only a few games left to get the W's then this is a must win game for them. Sale may be happy to have eluded relegation but I think they'll be chasing top 6 too. Looking at the recent form then this could really go either way; both teams seem to be in ruts, neither seem to have the experience or talent to get out of them. Falcons have at least been here before though and know what needs to be done, this combined with relegation looming should see them scrape a victory, but it won't be pretty. Newcastle by 4.

Saturday 31st March

Exeter Chiefs v London Irish, Sandy Park
Both clubs will go into Fridays game with high hopes, with the Chiefs snatching a win away at the Shed and London Irish looking like their old selves against Leicester last weekend. Exeter could still incredibly make the play offs and a strong win against the Exiles would help their cause no end, LI could still snatch a HC spot especially if the top 7 clubs go through. I imagine again Exeter's pack will do the brunt of the work and it has to be said the Irish are weak in the forwards especially in the scrum. Exeter should be able to attack from set piece but can they create much off the cuff? London Irish should still be able to cause the home team a lot of problems on the counter and in the loose they have threats across the park to keep the game tight especially with Homer kicking everything. Exeter by 5.

Saracens v Harlequins, Wembley Stadium, London
The big game of the weekend. Saracens welcome Harlequins to Wembley and will relish the chance to not only get one over their London rivals but to also steal the top spot off them too. Last weekend saw Saracens steam roller Sale with five tries. On the other hand Quins struggled to an unimpressive win over Bath. The earlier game between the two teams saw Saracens dominate the match and kick themselves to a comfy win and most people will be expecting the same again. Harlequins will need to be at their very best to win this and will need to take the chances that they have been missing recently. Big games will be needed from the forwards too as the Saracens pack looks to be hitting form. Saracens by 12.

Bath Rugby v Northampton Saints, Recreation Ground, Bath
Bath have had a troubled season over all and will be wishing for it to end soon. Northampton are another team finding form at just the right time. With Saints hitting the headlines for all the wrong reasons they'll be glad to be able to just focus on the rugby. The away team have to be favourites for this game, Bath just can't put a complete performance together and there are still issues in the backs and forwards. Northampton on the other hand have a well drilled forward pack that will be looking forward to mixing it up with the opposition and some of the big names in their backs seem to be finding top form too. Northampton by 14, try bp.

Sunday 1st April

London Wasps v Gloucester Rugby, Adams Park, Wycombe
It has to have been Wasps worst season to date so far and things aren't going to get any easier. Gloucester will be gutted to have lost to Exeter last weekend and will be out to make amends; a win away at Wasps could see them finally put breathing space between themselves and the chasers too. Both teams have shown that they can score a lot of tries, but both have also conceded plenty too, I expect the same could happen again in this game with lots of tries but neither managing to pull away from the other. Gloucester should have enough in the pack though to secure them the win, especially with Wasps injury woes in their forwards. Gloucester by 7 try bp.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 28 Mar 2012 - 13:24

Fixed a couple of typos, looks good otherwise Smile

Nice work Yappy.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 28 Mar 2012 - 14:07

Cheers kiwi, I have to throw a few tryping mistakes in there to keep you busy...honest Wink

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 28 Mar 2012 - 14:17

yappysnap wrote:Cheers kiwi, I have to throw a few tryping mistakes in there to keep you busy...honest Wink

Laugh

Sometimes I'm disappointed if I don't find any Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 28 Mar 2012 - 15:18

I don't think you ever have to worry about that from me!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 28 Mar 2012 - 23:10

I've copied your article over to "ready for publishing".

Can you please create an article down in Club rugby and post a link to it as a comment here https://www.606v2.com/t26792-aviva-premiership-round-19-preview#1092689

Cheers.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 29 Mar 2012 - 8:37

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down