The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anybody remember....

Go down

Does anybody remember.... Empty Does anybody remember....

Post by No1Jonesy Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:29 am

So - after reading McCrory's thoughts on Price that was put down in another thread I thought I'd take a trip over to Boxrec to have a look at his record on who he has beat and who he has lost to...

One name stood out to me that was an unbeaten fighter and didnt fight again after beating Rory - He was a Welh Heavyweight Prospect called Rudi Pika.... The following was pulled from his Bio:

Rudi Pika was an outstanding amateur who as a junior won the national schools title before representing his country at international level and going on to win the senior Welsh title at heavyweight, aged just 17. He was also ABA runner-up twice at heavyweight; on the second occasion dropping a controversial points decision to future WBC champion Frank Bruno. Pika turned professional under the management of Mickey Duff at 18 and at the time was rated as a real prospect. Some predicted a re-match with Bruno once both had entered the paid ranks. However, despite being undefeated as a professional, he was not active enough to really fulfill his potential and Pika had drifted out of the sport by his mid-20s. Tragically he took his own life shortly after this. Rudi's brother Heino Pika also boxed, both at amateur and professional level.

Does anybody remember seeing this guy in action and did the acclaimed title of 'prospect' fit this boxer? Shame he took his own life - wonder what pushed his promising future down that dark path

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down