The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farrell will NOT be part of the coaching staff post 6N's

+10
belovedfrosties
chewed_mintie
damage_13
screamingaddabs
WELL-PAST-IT
formerly known as Sam
thomh
RubyGuby
ChequeredJersey
yappysnap
14 posters

Go down

Farrell will NOT be part of the coaching staff post 6N's Empty Farrell will NOT be part of the coaching staff post 6N's

Post by yappysnap Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Saracens have come out and stated that Farrell will not be available as a full time coach once thel 6N's has ended.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2114052/Six-Nations-2012-Saracens-refuse-let-Andy-Farrell-share-England-coaching-job.html

To me this could be mixed news, yes the defence has been very gritty and we've had some bite put back in to it. But on the counter argument we've played more and more like Saracens and tbh at international level you need more from your backs then just a good defence and crashballs.

So if Lancaster was to get the top job, who would people like to seee come in as Farrells replacement?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Farrell will NOT be part of the coaching staff post 6N's Empty Re: Farrell will NOT be part of the coaching staff post 6N's

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:28 pm

yappysnap wrote:Saracens have come out and stated that Farrell will not be available as a full time coach once thel 6N's has ended.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2114052/Six-Nations-2012-Saracens-refuse-let-Andy-Farrell-share-England-coaching-job.html

To me this could be mixed news, yes the defence has been very gritty and we've had some bite put back in to it. But on the counter argument we've played more and more like Saracens and tbh at international level you need more from your backs then just a good defence and crashballs.

So if Lancaster was to get the top job, who would people like to seee come in as Farrells replacement?

Kirwan?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Farrell will NOT be part of the coaching staff post 6N's Empty Re: Farrell will NOT be part of the coaching staff post 6N's

Post by RubyGuby Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Mike Catt would be a good shout for me or John Kirwan thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Kirwan would be really good, not so sure about Catt watching LI play and could he cover defense as well?

Kirwan though would be a really interesting perspective for the English backs and attacking game.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Just because Saracens say Farrell is going back to them doesn't mean it's certain. If Lancaster gets the top job and tells the RFU that he wants Farrell, then they can buy him out of his contract. This does enable Saracens to get more for him though, If he wants to join England permanently.

How good is Kirwan really? Heard good things about his time with Italy, but there's a difference between getting a bad team to play reasonably well, and getting a good team to be world class.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Kirwan was world class and has all the attributes for me to be one of the worlds leading defence/backs coaches thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Watch some of the attacking skills of Japan with Kirwan coaching them, they had/have a brilliant offloading game thanks to him.

True it might be Saracens wanting more for him if he does go, but he seems pretty integral to them at the moment, really can't see them wanting to lose him as there's not many replacements they could get in.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Gustard should be signed from Sarries post haste to organise the defence (he's the man behind the oppressive Sarries 'wolf pack') as that defence is the best in the league and is a weapon in it's own right.

For the backs I'd like us to bring in Aaron Mauger. He took on some coaching responsibilities during 2009 for Tigers and even in a backline riddled with injuries we played some brilliant stuff. He's continued that development with coaching skills in Canterbury (we've seen what their backs can do) and rumour has it he fancies coaching in England again (linked with Tigers).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:39 pm

yappysnap wrote:Watch some of the attacking skills of Japan with Kirwan coaching them, they had/have a brilliant offloading game thanks to him.

True it might be Saracens wanting more for him if he does go, but he seems pretty integral to them at the moment, really can't see them wanting to lose him as there's not many replacements they could get in.

I'm sure they don't want to lose him but they'll have a price. If Lancaster gets the job and wants Farrell to join him permanently, and Farrell wants to as well, then I can't see it not happening realistically.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Are either Kirwin or Catt up to the defensive sid eof the job, Italy under Kirwin and Irish with Catt seemed to ship an awful lot of tries.

I would be happy with Catt as an attack coach, but I think a defense coach that could work with the plans he has for attack would be necessary. Not sure who though.

I think one of the probelms MJ had was that the attack and defensive systems employed where not compatable and could not cope with a sudden turnover or similar.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:44 pm

They wouldn't need to do the defensive work. Whoever gets the head coach job will have a bigger coaching team than the current interim one I'd think.

I'd be very surprised if Rowntree doesn't stay on as scrum coach at least. There'll probably be a forwards coach, a defence coach and an attack coach as well.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:45 pm

I think if Lancaster gets the top job he'll only wnat a 3 man team, so presumably the new preson will need to cover backs and defence, as I don't think Lancaster covers them.

Mauger would be good. Lancaster talks about a triumvirate complimenting each other in the coaching team and I think two very NH coaches in Rowntree and Lancaster would be well balanced by a SH coach in Kirwan or Mauger.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:46 pm

I really don't think we want more then 3 coaches, either with Lancaster coaching as one of the three or Lancaster and three coaches below him.

Two many chefs and all that.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:16 pm

I think it was Rowntree saying the other day that it's far better with 3 coaches. I doubt he would be saying that if Lancaster thought much differently. What Mallet thinks though is another question!
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:01 pm

I really don't think we want more then 3 coaches, either with Lancaster coaching as one of the three or Lancaster and three coaches below him.

Head Coach - Lancaster
Defence/Lineouts Coach - Gustard
Forwards/Scrum Coach - Rowntree
Attack/Skills Coach - Mauger

Sorted. Replace the seemingly weak link (judging by our backs lack of penetration) and fortify the defensive element and forwards tactical edge.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 pm

I like that team Sam, as mentioned I think it would be very good for a very 'English' seeming coaching unit to have some Southern Hemisphere flavour to it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Kirwin for backs coach, THAT would be interesting having seen what he did for the Cherry Blossoms

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:31 pm

I think it combines well Yappy and Mauger has experience with Tigers so wouldn't be completely new to English rugby. In fact all the coaches other than Lancaster will have spent some time and England's premier club... hold on I change my mind I couldn't take the Leicester Mafia rubbish, it was bad enough last time. Wink

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 pm

thomh wrote:How good is Kirwan really? Heard good things about his time with Italy, but there's a difference between getting a bad team to play reasonably well, and getting a good team to be world class.

Kirwan will eventually coach NZ in the next 10 years. Get your hands on him while you can.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:20 pm

I have been very impressed with Japans attack the times I have seen them. Their 13 runs brilliant lines, not sure if hes just a good player or if Kirwan has taught him them. I agree with others who are worried about his defensive abilities though, anyone have any ideas on this?

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:37 pm

I thought when Farrel became a part of the England team that he was only contracted for the 6ns.

So if that is true then it is no surprise that Sarries of come out and said the Farrel will becoming back to them. But before the 6ns when Stuart Lancaster took charge (tempory)as it was of England no one thought that England would get better and better every game they played.

Now if Lancaster does get the job full time and he says he wants Farrel, then i do believe that England would buy him out of his contract with sarries.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:30 am

If Kirwan is willing to take up the attack coach position (I'm not sure it will be enough for him), that would be superb. The added benefit is that if Lancaster turns out to not be up to the job, Kirwan can take over (he was my preferred option at the outset).

Otherwise, Wayne Smith said he was interested in joining the set up again last week, and would be a superb option.

I'd like to see Dave Ellis get the defence coach position.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:32 am

Love to see John Mitchell back as backs/attack coach. Some of the stuff the Eng backs were playing back in the early 2000's was superb. Not going to happen tho....
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:36 pm

niwatts wrote:If Kirwan is willing to take up the attack coach position (I'm not sure it will be enough for him), that would be superb. The added benefit is that if Lancaster turns out to not be up to the job, Kirwan can take over (he was my preferred option at the outset).

Otherwise, Wayne Smith said he was interested in joining the set up again last week, and would be a superb option.

I'd like to see Dave Ellis get the defence coach position.

I'd go with that. Lancaster, Rowntree, Kirwan and Ellis would be the 4 for me.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down