The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation???

3 posters

Go down

Who has the Strongest strength squad in the six nations?

Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Vote_lcap17%Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 3 ]
Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Vote_lcap61%Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Vote_rcap 61% 
[ 11 ]
Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Vote_lcap0%Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Vote_lcap22%Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 18

Poll closed

Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Empty Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation???

Post by maestegmafia Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

There was a statistic about a possible third welsh grandslam in eight years in an interview with JPR Williams a few weeks ago, that really interested me as a statement on the modern game.

Between 1971 and 1978 Wales won three Grandslams using around twenty different players to achieve these feats.

If this current generation could win their last two games and take their third Grandslam in eight years they will have used over Sixty players in doing so.

I use this as an example of how important strength and depth is to a nations modern rugby fortunes.

Today to do well in rugby you will need sixty to seventy top players in each ten year generation, if you think of the depth of talent In your current countries squads, we all know where we lack and where we have bounty, and also outside of that squad to the "just good club players" as we often call them, the ones who push the international lads week in week out.

I know in Wales we have focused very very hard on improving the quantity of talent. A few years back our coach begged Martyn Williams, our only hope in a seven shirt, out of retirement. Now we have Warburton, Tuperic and several others like Nalvidi, Turnbull pushing for squad places, and players like Jonathan Edwards and Gavin Thomas pushing those lads hard at the regions.

Do you think your current strength and depth is a reflection of your nations standing at international level?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Empty Re: Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation???

Post by maestegmafia Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

It would also be interesting to read your thoughts and Opinions on your own nations strengths in some positions and lack of it in others.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation??? Empty Re: Six Nations Strength and Depth in Each Nation???

Post by nobbled Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:57 pm

I went for France. Just look at their bench! In fact their benched players are in some cases 1st choice for me, while the guys they were replace are bloody good...

I think England is lacking in strong choices - particularly for me at 2 and 8.
Then again, what do I know? I'd have Easter on the bench.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

Strength in depth is not necessarily a sign of success. France are not playing to their potential and they have impressive resources to call on. From the other extreme, Scotland seem to be benefiting from their two clubs who have performed well this season but look at the good that it´s done them. England have had a horror run of injuries and seem to have unearthed some good alternatives and Ireland have shown that their depth in centres isn´t as strong as they´d like.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:03 pm

I thought France but i think Wales and Ireland to a slightly lesser extent have caught them up, France like England are struggling to control players because of the powers that be in Club rugby.

I would say at the moment

Wales Strongest Squad
France
Ireland
England
Scotland
Italy

Outside of the actual squads at club level it changes

France
Ireland
Wales
England
Scotland
Italy

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down