The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henry off to coach Argie coaches...

+4
Luckless Pedestrian
offload
maestegmafia
Taylorman
8 posters

Go down

Henry off to coach Argie coaches... Empty Henry off to coach Argie coaches...

Post by Taylorman Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:07 pm

Good on him I say. Gets to be involved with what he loves without the same pressure. Has all the experience of the ups and downs of being a coach and must be bursting with ideas.

Argie is another side never to have beaten the abs so Steve Tew has ensured he isnt in th pumas fox hole so to speak.

But a new county, people, experience etc for the maestro deserves to lie back on his rugby hammock now hes finally found his peace.

Hopefully it will ensure argie rugby remains strong...

Oops...next story up on our news...prince harrys blue shoes... censored

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Henry off to coach Argie coaches... Empty Re: Henry off to coach Argie coaches...

Post by maestegmafia Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:16 pm

Good luck to him, it will be very interesting to see the impact of the canny old fox...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Henry off to coach Argie coaches... Empty Re: Henry off to coach Argie coaches...

Post by offload Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:20 pm

I fell in and out of love with Henry with Wales and then the Lions. NZ were smart to keep him after 2007 and he delivered. The thing I admire about him the most is that he admits his earlier coaching mistakes and that he learned from them, mellowed, and became a better coach.

Very good for the global game that he is still involved.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:59 am

This is great news for all concerned. I don't know anyone who dislikes the Pumas. They're great for the game and I'd love to see them take some scalps in the Rugby Championship (that's the name of it, right?).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

Seriously good move. More importantly for Arg is that he will be hands on for 7 weeks with regional/development coaches who are bringing through the next generation players. This can only be a positive move.

Still, I think the only possible scalp Arg could, or might take this year will be Australia or possibly Sth Africa in BA. It will be a couple of years in transistion for Argentina but I feel their players will slowly gravitate towards the Super 15 teams which will only benefit their national team. You will see Argentina climb the ranks to a consistent top 5 position and a more consistent performer.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:48 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:This is great news for all concerned. I don't know anyone who dislikes the Pumas. They're great for the game and I'd love to see them take some scalps in the Rugby Championship (that's the name of it, right?).

Really? Headscratch

Their a dire team who spoil rugby games, and offer little entertainment.

Their a tough team but not much fun at all. At least with the likes of Japan, Fiji and Samoa they will play some good rugby.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:00 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:This is great news for all concerned. I don't know anyone who dislikes the Pumas. They're great for the game and I'd love to see them take some scalps in the Rugby Championship (that's the name of it, right?).

Really? Headscratch

Their a tough team but not much fun at all. At least with the likes of Japan, Fiji and Samoa they will play some good rugby.

Interesting view Alyn - not one that I share. They beat France twice to finish third in the 2007 WC. I recall a formidable pack and players of the calibre of Pichot, Contepomi and Hernandez, hardly lacking in entertainment. They need development for the good of the global game.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

Well Alyn they had the likes of Pichot retire and the classy Hernandez injured. I don´t think you begrudge Italy for trying to do what they do best and try to win. Argentina is no different. They play to their strengths and have a very handy record. Once a professional league develops in Argentina and their player pool is not spread far and wide, maybe they will develop some more creative players in the backline. With all the beef they eat, their forwards are always going to be their real strength though. I have never seen defence like the match against the ABs in the RWC when players like McCaw and Kaino were being not just driven back in the tackle but forklifted and dumptrucked back in the tackle. Rugby isn't always playing total rugby. You have to have players who are able to deliver that kind of play. I don´t think they spoil rugby games but play to their strengths. Seems like sensible stuff to me and their impressive list of scalps proves that it´s an effective strategy. There´s more than one way to skin a cat. I haven´t tried but that´s what they say. There´s more than one way to play rugby as well. It´s not a question of playing anti-rugby. Just be thankful you have a team now adept at playing well across the park. Not all are so naturally blessed.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by JLyall Fri 09 Mar 2012, 3:27 am

AlynDavies wrote:

Really? Headscratch

Don't know about that, they've had some phenomenal players over the past decade, most of whom were in their prime in 07. Think Hernandez, the Lobbe and Contepomi brothers, Corletto, Pichot, Ledesma, Roncero, Albacete. They can and do play great rugby, most famously in the 07 World Cup. They utterly destroyed France in the 3rd place play-off, from memory I think they got 4 or 5 tries.

Yes, their style is sometimes less entertaining - as a Scot I watched with despair last year as my team played all the rugby, controlled the match and then threw it away in 10 minutes of madness. Results speak for themselves unfortunately, and Argentina's havent been bad of late.

Anyway, if you don't appreciate strong, dynamic, physical forward play, why watch rugby? That's the stuff that wins games, after all.

JLyall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down