The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Individual home pages

5 posters

Go down

Individual home pages Empty Individual home pages

Post by MtotheC Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

Been thinking over the last few days about ways the site could be interactive and user friendly and maybe this is idea is a tad complex or advanced for the current forum format or expensive to implement but here goes anyway:

Every member could have their own individual home page like Facebook, where you could update status, upload videos, links, display articles and comments, add friends and generally communicate to friends within the site. You could subscribe to other members articles or boards within the forum that interest you.

Possibly too Facebook esque but just an idea.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Individual home pages Empty Re: Individual home pages

Post by GG Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

I like it OK

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:06 pm

Facebook is a great concept (obviously) but its main function now is and forgive me for generalising:

If your a woman- gosip with friends and be generally nosey as to what others are doing!

If your a man- check out photos of your ex on holiday/ photos of geeky girls at school who are now hot.

I know so many people who are fed up with the rubbish on Facebook and people who do not use it because of that rubbish. V2 could be a place to social network about the things that really interest you, sport, TV, films, music, etc.

An averages joes social network apose to facebooks globogym!

Your page wouldn't be a place to tell people what you had for diner but more of what you thought of that penalty decision or what your thought of Alan Hansens comments on MOTD. You could like stuff and rate articles create your own piece of the Internet about the things that matter to you.

I know a lot of 'average joes' who would relish the opportunity to social network and discuss sports etc on a forum rather than read about where that weird woman from work walks her dog.

I know this would be an extremely expensive piece of work so probably pie in the sky!

Last edited by MtotheC on Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

Its not possible on this software.
The only facility that would resemble any similarity (in a very small way) is your profile where you can detail your likes, hobbies etc.
Its not possible to expand that for others to comment on.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:11 pm

Shame maybe something for the future!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

MtotheC wrote:Facebook is a great concept (obviously) but its main function now is and forgive me for generalising:

If your a woman- gosip with friends and be generally nosey as to what others are doing!

If your a man- check out photos of your ex on holiday/ photos of geeky girls at school who are now hot.

I know so many people who are fed up with the rubbish on Facebook and people who do not use it because of that rubbish. V2 could be a place to social network about the things that really interest you, sport, TV, films, music, etc.

An averages joes social network apose to facebooks globogym!

Your page wouldn't be a place to tell people what you had for diner but more of what you thought of that penalty decision or what your thought of Alan Hansens comments on MOTD. You could like stuff and rate articles create your own piece of the Internet about the things that matter to you.

I know a lot of 'average joes' who would relish the opportunity to social network and discuss sports etc on a forum rather than read about where that weird woman from work walks her dog.

I know this would be an extremely expensive piece of work so probably pie in the sky!

To be fair MToTheC you CAN use facebook for that. There is nothing to stop you. I agree that there are far too many innocuous status updates on there (and I know I'm not exempt from that either) but that is purely down to how people utilise these sites. If you are seeing a raft of useless or pointless updates then unsubscribe from them and get it down to a core of people that are likely to only post about things of interest. Plus you tend to find that as soon as people have this option to post individual statuses rather than creating articles, they feel obliged to post something; even if it has no relevance. As least with a site like this topics are, on the whole, well thought out and have the purpose of generating discussion.

Let's not forget that you can add friends on here too. I get the concept you are trying to portray for v2, but I don't think it's an overly viable option. Just my opinion though. OK

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:26 pm

I had a massive facebook cull at the turn of the year.
I was sick of hearing about what was happening on Eastenders, or what people were having for tea.

But I do 'like' loads of sport & music pages, so my news feed is exactly that.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:29 pm

All good CW and totally agree about Filtering Facebook! However the idea was to capture people who dont want to be part of Facebook but do want to social network about the topics they are passionate about. I also agree about status updates, spam would take over eventually!!! However you don't need to have this option the home page could be adapted to incorporate your contribution to the site and the content you are interested in rather than 'opinion updates'.

I also think a news feedesque section would be a great idea, for example:

You subscribe to football and the relating posts are displayed to make them easier to find and interact with.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:16 pm

Largely agree, people like CW really get on my facebooking nerves! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:20 pm

Sainty wrote:Largely agree, people like CW really get on my facebooking nerves! Wink

I'm not your FB stalker; that title belongs to MS I believe.

I try to keep my natural hatred for all things off of my facebook statuses (I save those for when I comment on others) and generally just comment on TV Series/Films and post endless YouTube music videos. OK

I do love seeing you and KB discussing things which are not suitable for this forum though #TeamAirTight Hug

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

MS! Love it!

Imagine if we did have the software though?!

"Sainty is watching the football."
MS Likes this.

Me and Pookie are a pair of rude blighters! #TeamAirTight

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:31 pm

You should see the stuff i say to my mate Frenchie.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

King Beer wrote:You should see the stuff i say to my mate Frenchie.

Are you Rizzo?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:36 pm

Hero wrote:
King Beer wrote:You should see the stuff i say to my mate Frenchie.

Are you Rizzo?

king

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down