The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand v South Africa, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

+8
Demon Racer
kiakahaaotearoa
alfie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
chewed_mintie
Biltong
Duty281
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Zealand v South Africa, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread Empty New Zealand v South Africa, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

Game should have started 5 minutes ago but it's raining so we have a delayed start.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v South Africa, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread Empty Re: New Zealand v South Africa, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:51 pm

In fact it will be a very delayed start according to Cricinfo. The link below is the Cricinfo preview for this game which says if South Africa win 3-0 they will be No.1.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-south-africa-2012/content/current/story/556415.html?comments=all#comments

Although to be honest it isn't the best preview - it states that South Africa are the best equipped team to be No.1 before mentioning they haven't won a home series for 3 years! Yeah...very equipped.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v South Africa, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread Empty Re: New Zealand v South Africa, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm

Well the rain had ceased but it's come back now. That's the first hour and probably all the morning gone but cheer up - days 2 and 3 are looking good.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:53 am

Duty, we may have only won one home test series since 2009, but we wave won 5 away series in the last 5 years, with no series losses. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:54 am

What are the conditions like? With all that rain I would expec the pitch to have some effect and perhaps some swing as well?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 8:42 am

Well New Zealand won the toss after lunch and South Africa made it to 86/1 at tea. It was very comfortable until Chris Martin stepped up and he blew away Graeme Smith for 53 and then Kallis and AB De Villiers in consecutive balls, both for ducks. He was unlucky not to get a hat-trick. South Africa have finished the 1st Day 191/7.

Don't get complacent New Zealand, bowl them out for under 250 and aim to get 350+ and you'll have won half the battle.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:12 am

It’s amazing how suddenly Chris Martin is, at this stage of his career, indispensable for NZ now. He has these up and coming quicks around him and has been in inspired form since the emergence of these youngsters. 2 years ago I would have said do away with him but now I’d keep him till he can bowl no more.

Great start by NZ, we’ve got to aim for <250 and post a good score and a lead.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:35 am

191-7 ...wheres demon racer?

Fully expect SA to bounce back from this but its very much game on.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:41 am

Looking at the SA side the batting lineup is perhaps more vulnerable than youd first think than when seeing some of the names on that list.
Steyn is no number 8 bat by modern standards, and Boucher once famed for his batting is only avergae by modern keeper standards. Add in two batsmen with averages well below 40 ( although Rudolph in theory is much better than his average suggests, and Perterson showed signs of improvement) and there is some vulnerbaility when the magic 4 dont deliver...and even Smith hasnt been amazing the last year or so.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:53 am

Yep, we really only have 4 batsmen, Smith, Amla, Kallis and de Villiers. Duminy can do well but often fail as well.

We miss the days when we batted strongly all the way to 8.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:01 pm

biltongbek wrote:Yep, we really only have 4 batsmen, Smith, Amla, Kallis and de Villiers. Duminy can do well but often fail as well.

We miss the days when we batted strongly all the way to 8.

That's OK Biltong, we have Vettori batting at 6 ...

And a debutant opener in Nicol.

Debutant van Wyk at 7 is averaging over 90 in first class cricket this season admittedly.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm

Whistle So you are going to rely on a south african to contain the south african bowling?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:13 pm

biltongbek wrote: Whistle So you are going to rely on a south african to contain the south african bowling?

It works for England Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm

Yeah, to be fair they have more back ups, than you guys. If this carries on we will be the only country who has 10 batsmen in the top ten rankings and 10 bowlers. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:45 pm

Interesting game. NZ did very well after tea and provided they clean up the tail quickly tomorrow they might have a chance to get a lead - I understand the weather is expected to be kinder...

Their own batting is a bit fragile though and SA pace men might have something to say about that Smile

Chris Martin really bowled a terrific spell to get those three very good players : after Hobart late last year as well , is he staking a claim as one of the most under-rated bowlers in the world?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 07 Mar 2012, 1:46 pm

alfie wrote:Interesting game. NZ did very well after tea and provided they clean up the tail quickly tomorrow they might have a chance to get a lead - I understand the weather is expected to be kinder...

Their own batting is a bit fragile though and SA pace men might have something to say about that Smile

Chris Martin really bowled a terrific spell to get those three very good players : after Hobart late last year as well , is he staking a claim as one of the most under-rated bowlers in the world?

It's good to see the Phantom earning a few deserved plaudits - his inept batting makes him something of a cult hero in NZ cricket.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:39 pm

http://www.mycrickethighlights.com/new-zealand-vs-south-africa-highlights-1st-test-day-1-7th-march-2012/

Click the link above for some highlights of the 1st Day.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm

Phialnder should bat above steyn, he is an alll-rounder!

when he was in the odi side he batted 7!

he is easily good enough to bat at at least 8.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:00 pm

Chris Martin is the Ewen Chatfield of the modern era. He should be given an honorary beige jumper.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 8:53 pm

Half an hour early start today so the 2nd day will start in approximately 8 minutes.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm

222/9 doubtful we'll get to 250
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm

238 all out, Chris Martin finishing with 4/56. Bat sensibly New Zealand, for heaven's sake, bat sensibly. Not that I give them much chance against Steyn and Morkel especially when they only have one batsmen averaging above 40!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:22 pm

Well, it didn't seem as if the pitch did anything untoward.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:28 pm

Not a good opening over by steyn, far too much leg side.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm

2nd ball and already a massive appeal for LBW but turned down and not reviewed.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:39 pm

7/1 Philander gets the first.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:42 pm

82 overs left in the day, the way South Africa have started with bowling, I think they could be starting their second innings tonight!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:50 am

New Zealand lead by 5 wit one wicket remaining. It seems this pitch isn't a bad one, you just never get competeley in either.

tomorrow will be the deciding day I think. If SA can take the last wicket quickly and build at least a 300 lead, it could be a very interesting 4th innings.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:20 am

Doubt New Zealand will get into double figures with that lead so they need to bowl well. If they're chasing 225 or less then they have a chance.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:16 am

Not a very good response from NZ...was expecting a bit more from our batters...

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:27 am

Good afternoon Mintie, it seems that the track is still ok at the moment, but the odd ball is starting to keep low.

Not a good sign for NZ?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:38 pm

Typical contributions of half centuries or 40s or high 30s without anyone going on after they get set. McCullum out to his usual 20 20 slog. It´s so frustrating how we sell our wickets so cheaply. We need some more bowling heroics again to keep us in the game. If SA posts a big total we will mentally cave and go out for a pathetic total. We need to have something realistic to shoot for. Anything over 250 will prove too much for us I fear.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:45 pm

In that case, I hope we get 350. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

you do get the impression NZ slipped up here, if they could have had a lead of 100+ after their first innings, it would have put them on the back foot.

They will realise that SA messed up their innings and lost some wickets cheaply, so they will definitely be more focused from now on. It might be too late then for NZ to surprise them. I get the feeling SA has had their absent mindedness out of the way now, and will realise they need a focused effort from here on in.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm

I get that feeling too Biltong. Test cricket is all about applying pressure. We can't rely on Chris Martin to perform miracles like splitting the defensive V or turning an ordinary ball into SA whine.

But if we can create a little doubt in the minds of the SA batsman and get them to play shots that get them out, it´ll not only do well for us in this test but the entire 3 match series.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

all square after 2 days, but i cant see NZ winning.

i cant see them getting chasing down a compeitive target 2nd innings...Tahir has bowled well and is spinning the ball, and i think he and philander can tear through this side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 9:31 pm

New Zealand got a very handy 35 run lead after Boult hit a 6, 4, 6, 6 off of 4 consecutive deliveries against Philander. Very good, SA currently 12/0. NZ need another fine bowling performance - if they're chasing under 250 then they have a chance.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:16 pm

45/1, Bracewell removes Petersen in the 12th over. Go on you Kiwis!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:21 pm

And another! 47/2 after Amla edges to second slip! Just checking for a clean catch...yes it is! 2 in one over for Bracewell, top top effort.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:24 pm

Pretty disappointing from Alviro, if you keep hitting it in the air you will give a catch!

One for the NZ fans, don't you have anyone better than Southee? His stats are terrible.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm

'Net' 14/2 at drinks. Game right in the balance!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm

Demon Racer wrote:Pretty disappointing from Alviro, if you keep hitting it in the air you will give a catch!

One for the NZ fans, don't you have anyone better than Southee? His stats are terrible.

Southee is very hit and miss - on a swinging pitch he's all but unplayable. His stats took a real hammering bowling on some roads of pitches a couple of seasons back.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:36 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:Pretty disappointing from Alviro, if you keep hitting it in the air you will give a catch!

Southee is very hit and miss - on a swinging pitch he's all but unplayable. His stats took a real hammering bowling on some roads of pitches a couple of seasons back.
How close is Neil Wagner to selection?

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:27 pm

Pretty close i think. One or 2 injuries away.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 09 Mar 2012, 6:09 am

I only watch the first half hour last night, it seems there was some controversy dring Graeme Smith's innings, does anyone know anything about it.

Anyway, it seems like Kallis and Smith has set us up nicely to hopefully set an insurmountable target.

I reckon if de Villiers gets going as well, the target could be 350. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

yet again vernon philander has been very impressive in this test match, a slightly quicker version of Praveen kumar OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

some smart stats from Cricinfo.

Graeme Smith's century is his second against New Zealand and his 22nd as captain. It is his second century in six Tests after the second-innings hundred in the win against Australia in Cape Town.

Jacques Kallis scored his 42nd Test century and moved past Ricky Ponting's tally of 41 hundreds. Only Sachin Tendulkar with 51 Test centuries is above Kallis on the list of batsmen with most centuries.

With his sixth century against New Zealand, Kallis moves to joint-second with Rahul Dravid on the list of batsmen with the most centuries against New Zealand. Only Javed Miandad, with seven centuries, is above Kallis.

The 200-run stand between Smith and Kallis is the third-highest third-wicket stand for South Africa in Tests against New Zealand. Kallis and Hashim Amla have been involved in the two higher stands.

The 200-run stand between Kallis and Smith is South Africa's 18th double-century stand since the beginning of 2007. In the same period, no other team has been involved in more double-century partnerships.

New Zealand have chased more than 234 (the present target) on only three previous occasions and only once against major Test opponents (excluding Bangladesh) since 1990. On the other hand, South Africa have lost eight times (five to Australia) since their readmission when they have set a target of 234 or more.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:56 am

shame that Nicol failed with the bat first innings, i hope he finds form in the 2nd, as he is a very talented batsman.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:58 am

cricketfan90 wrote:shame that Nicol failed with the bat first innings, i hope he finds form in the 2nd, as he is a very talented batsman.

Ditto Guptil - he's opted out of the IPL this year in favour of a season in county cricket in order to improve his test record. With the runs he scores in limited overs and in NZ 1st class cricket he's got the ability, just needs to figure out how to apply it.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 09 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

Well unless New Zealand take the final 7 wickets for less than 67 runs then it's game over. A shame as they had matched South Africa for 2 days but I suppose class always shows through in the end. Only thing that'll save New Zealand now is rain and there is predicted to be quite a bit of it on day 5 so maybe they can save this test match.

Weather in Dunedin

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next