The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray Says Fast Courts Suit Federer

+19
lydian
banbrotam
Josiah Maiestas
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
spuranik
laverfan
Veejay
time please
legendkillar
socal1976
lags72
noleisthebest
Tennisanorak
barrystar
Tenez
bogbrush
hawkeye
23 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Murray Says Fast Courts Suit Federer - Page 5 Empty Murray Says Fast Courts Suit Federer

Post by hawkeye Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is what Murray said after losing to Federer in the Dubai final on Saturday.

"If there was more tournaments on these courts, I think he could definitely be No. 1 in the world for the next few years," Murray told reporters. "It really suits his game well. Just so many of the courts are so slow now. It’s nice for us to get a change-up like here. Some of the tournaments are so slow it's tough against so many guys that are moving well and serving big. It’s become tougher and tougher to stay at the top of the game longer."

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=16761&zoneid=25

I can imagine that many will see this comment and see it as Murray giving respect to Federer. Maybe some will even say he's giving too much respect to Federer. I can imagine a few using it as some sort of evidence to prove that the slowing down of the courts has somehow cheated Federer out of his rightful place at the top of the rankings.

I don't see it that way at all. To me it sounds like Murray is being his usual arrogant self and with this back handed compliment to Federer is "explaining" why he didn't win on Saturday. Also he's implying that Federer won't be so good later in the year. Huh! There is no love lost between these two.

Was Murray's comment a complement or a criticism of Federer?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Murray Says Fast Courts Suit Federer - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray Says Fast Courts Suit Federer

Post by Guest Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:26 am

Can we give it a rest about posters "chasing away Nadal fans"
It happened a year ago and is getting very boring now.
It was not down to one poster, but more so to do with the forum and what would be deleted, and what wouldn't.
Just stick to the topics in hand please.

Back to top Go down

Murray Says Fast Courts Suit Federer - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray Says Fast Courts Suit Federer

Post by amritia3ee Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
If Nadal fans can't think of anything beyond posting "I love you Rafa", "you are the best ever", then what can I do.
I have never said this and I am a Nadal fan.

And this is the kind of reasoning they bring into discussions on 606v2, and then proved wrong, they take it personally

Laugh Prove what? Nadal is a sh*te player. Keep on telling yourself that one day you might believe it.

Even on "606v3" there are probably more Lubicic fans. Laugh

Yes all the Nadal fans on MTL (and all other tennis forums) must be imaginary :laugh

What do you mean by bashing Nadal? Kindly elaborate. Then we can talk about who is bashing Nadal.
See your post history to elaborate.

amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:07 pm

summerblues wrote:I would like to echo Calder's sentiments. For all the talk about how differnet this surface was (no doubt true), the top three seeds once again all made the semis. And in the remaining quarter, the quarterfinal was won by the same guy who would have won had it been played on clay. So what does it mean? Maybe the conditions were not as fast as is generally felt? Or maybe there are not enough players in the second tier who can utilize these conditions? Or maybe the top 4 players are just so good that nobody can touch them anywhere?

Again, I have to agree with this great post by summerblues, and as noted Calder first mentioned it. The conditions were quick, a lot of fast points and quick service games. Yet the same 4 guys that were expected got there. The similar type of conditions are not driving the results, the women play on the same surfaces and from week to week you have no idea who is going to win. When are people going to start giving credit where credit is due. The top 4 guys are just better, it doesn't mean that the other guys are weak. I wouldn't call Del Po, Sod, Tsonga, Berdy, and Ferrer weak players for the rankings they hold.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:15 pm

I suppose it is akin in football to arguing that the EPL is now weak because since the early 1990's the league has been contested and won by only Chelsea, Arsenal and Man. United. However, ask football experts and they cream over the EPL as being the best league in the world.

There is no point in me adding anything else as I just get shouted down for trying to promote this era simply because Murray plays now but hold on ...he started out in 2004. Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:36 pm

Yes great point Craig. Andy Murray has been like Liverpool or Tottenham taking your analogy further in the last few years outside the big trophies. Its funny fed fans will even make an argument that diminishes federer as well. They say things like how great is this era when the #3 best player is broken down Roger Federer at 31. Is Federer the first great champion to have success in his early 30s. And by the way he hasn't won a slam now for 2 years.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 09 Mar 2012, 9:14 pm

Oh but socal that is only because the court conditions don't suit him and the game is so physical now. Rolling Eyes Odd really as I'd swear Nadal and Djokovic great talents earned them their slam wins.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:48 pm

Every player that has picked a racquet and has chosen to become a 'professional' Tennis player and made it their day job deserves credit for pursuing what they love.

Just because some collect more silverware than others, does not make the ones without silverware any less of a 'professional'.

There are CEOs and and then there are worker bees. A CEO cannot exist without a 'worker' bee. For every Larry Ellison or Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, there are a thousand others who 'love' what they do.

The pyramids must be built from the bottom up. For every Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray there is a Berlocq, Andujar, Granollers or Kudla.

Credit to such players, low on the totem pole, for being what they are and picking up a racquet and decide to hit a yellow fuzzy.

Not a single one of them deserves any stick, not a single one of the 127 who do not take home a trophy.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:57 pm

laverfan wrote:Every player that has picked a racquet and has chosen to become a 'professional' Tennis player and made it their day job deserves credit for pursuing what they love.

Just because some collect more silverware than others, does not make the ones without silverware any less of a 'professional'.

There are CEOs and and then there are worker bees. A CEO cannot exist without a 'worker' bee. For every Larry Ellison or Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, there are a thousand others who 'love' what they do.

The pyramids must be built from the bottom up. For every Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray there is a Berlocq, Andujar, Granollers or Kudla.

Credit to such players, low on the totem pole, for being what they are and picking up a racquet and decide to hit a yellow fuzzy.

Not a single one of them deserves any stick, not a single one of the 127 who do not take home a trophy.

You realise that would be the end of tennis forums don't you?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:59 pm

Just heard a lovely song, had a glass of red, trevelled in my heart and mind for 5 minutes...and still happy to be back arguing about the little yellow fuzzy Murray Says Fast Courts Suit Federer - Page 5 3933776953

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 10 Mar 2012, 12:07 am

Tenez wrote:You realise that would be the end of tennis forums don't you?

If the community has different tastes, it is fine. The desire to discuss what is at the top of the pyramid is understandable because that is what is the most visible.

It does ignore the sport which provides the foundation. IMVHO, forums would still thrive, but fans may see the bigger picture.

Fedalovicurray are great for the shiny visibility, but the sport will have new stars.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:19 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote: Why the balance has to be only between Nadal and Federer fans? What about fans of other players? Do you get the right to attack and chase them off just because they are fans of Bagdatis and Lubicic?

I already told you most Nadal fans don't belong in a tennis forum. They need to understand finer points of the game. l.

I apologized to socal for the baby pea comment already. But I was pushed to that limit. Even after that apology Socal continued to label posters, call comments of posters as laughable and continued to mock Tenez. If his behavior is going be the same, I'll have to do what I don't want to do.

I tried to sift through that wildly vacillating and ranting post by Raider to find a couple of finer points that well need my attention. Its funny a certain segment of fed fans accuses Nadal of doping, cheating, bad sportsmanship, and of being talentless; I on the other hand use objective evidence to detail how Baghdatis and Ljubi are not top notch competition of the level we are doing today and Raider finds my conduct objectionable. I actually really like Baggy but I can separate that with an objective analysis that determines he is not the toughest grandslam opponent for Fed. Both are fine players good top 10-20 guys and Baggy probably one of my five favorite players on tour. But objectively as with mountains of evidence that exist I determine that they are not as tough as murray, del po an others. I don't call them a cheat and a fraud with no evidence like many Fed fans do about Nadal.

And now to Raider's insult and apology. Raider you act like I should thank you for you insulting me and then apologizing to me. I never asked you for an apology but when you offered I accepted. I will mock Tenez's logic and in my opinion demented view of tennis as long as I like. I don't insult him or threaten him like you seem to think is appropriate towards me. By the way just to clue you in, you don't scare anyone stop pretending like we should be.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by tammywilson52 Tue 22 May 2012, 5:29 am

Hard to tell what Murray was going for here, but I think he wouldn't mention it unless he really noticed how fast the tennis surfaces were in the tournament. If that’s the case, do you think there should be a standard or is the differences what makes each tournament interesting?

tammywilson52

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5