The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland - 1 plus 1 = zero

+15
justified sinner
MacKnocked-on
RDW
wonder_man
cabbs123
21st Century Schizoid Man
funnyExiledScot
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
TJ1
R!skysports
NeilyBroon
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RuggerRadge2611
alive555
19 posters

Go down

Scotland - 1 plus 1 = zero Empty Scotland - 1 plus 1 = zero

Post by alive555 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

On another thread there is chat about who would make the Lions team now. and its updated weekly.

On it features an inordinately large number of Scottish players. who are playing in what appears to be a terminally losing team.

The players highlighted as being potentially of Lions team quality are

Denton
Rennie
Gray
Ford
Blair
Hogg

thats a lot of quality. and thats excluding players like brown and barclay who are also very good no doubt.

The question is - seemingly with so many quality players at our disposal how come we keep losing .? something is not right - it looks quite likely that we might even get the spoon again which would be firkin ridiculous if u ask me. thumbsdown

coach, tactics, luck ?

discuss

alive555

Back to top Go down

Scotland - 1 plus 1 = zero Empty Re: Scotland - 1 plus 1 = zero

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:20 pm

Selection and Coaches.

An attack coach who comes out and says you don't need to score tries to win should be sacked on the spot. The statement is true but his job is to get us scoring tries. It's a bit like saying you don't have to make sales to be a good salesperson. Lunacy.

Coaching leads to selection. I think just about every poster on here was outraged when Parks started against England and since then Robinson has made a catalogue of errors in team selection to compliment the ones he made in the RWC and last years 6N and the others that have plagued his tenure at Scotland.

Pick the right players and Scotland would have beaten England and probably France. Despite a good showing against Wales I think they would have always been to strong for us at home.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:28 pm

From the SRU site:

SCOTLAND SQUAD UPDATE PDF Print
Monday, 05 March 2012

A number of players took only a limited part in Scotland squad training today as preparations were stepped up for Saturday’s RBS 6 Nations Championship match against Ireland in Dublin.

Among them half-backs Mike Blair (dead leg) and Greig Laidlaw (concussion) are both making good progress from the injuries they sustained against France last month as is flanker John Barclay (dead leg).

Glasgow Warriors prop Ed Kalman (stitches above his eye) and hooker Dougie Hall (shoulder bruising) are recovering from injuries sustained in their RaboDirect PRO12 match against the Ospreys on Friday, while No 8 Richie Vernon requires treatment for a shoulder injury he sustained in Sale Sharks’ match at Exeter on Saturday.

Two other players in the squad, front-row forwards Ross Ford and Euan Murray, will do their own training today as opposed to involvement in the team session.

The 22 who were on duty for the French international are joined for training this afternoon by Robert Harley, Ruaridh Jackson and Jon Welsh (all Glasgow Warriors) and Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) and Murray (Newcastle Falcons). In addition, Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) is also with the squad though will rest this afternoon as he has a hamstring injury.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:36 pm

Ford training on his own? The thought of him not making the game on Saturday is really worrying.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:37 pm

Alive, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but perhaps we could make this the 'Scotland team to face Ireland' one too?

Here's what I would go with:

15 Stuart Hogg
14 Sean Lamont
13 Nick de Luca
12 Matt Scott
11 Lee Jones
10 Greig Laidlaw
9 Mike Blair

1 Allan Jacobsen
2 Ross Ford
3 Euan Murray
4 Richie Gray
5 Jim Hamilton
6 Rob Harley
7 Ross Rennie
8 David Denton

Substitutes

16 Scott Lawson
17 Jon Welsh
18 Alastair Kellock
19 John Barclay
20 Chris Cusiter
21 Duncan Weir
22 ?

However, realistically I suspect that we will see Morrison retained and Barclay to start at blindside. Can't see that we've got another outside back that is training with the squad, so I suspect my 22 slot has to be either Jackson or Morrison

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Ford training on his own? The thought of him not making the game on Saturday is really worrying.
Hopefully just a precaution, Radge.

In other good news, in his comeback game for Clermont academy team, Mark Bennett scored 17 points, I believe OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Alive, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but perhaps we could make this the 'Scotland team to face Ireland' one too?

Here's what I would go with:

15 Stuart Hogg
14 Sean Lamont
13 Nick de Luca
12 Matt Scott
11 Lee Jones
10 Greig Laidlaw
9 Mike Blair

1 Allan Jacobsen
2 Ross Ford
3 Euan Murray
4 Richie Gray
5 Jim Hamilton
6 Rob Harley
7 Ross Rennie
8 David Denton

Substitutes

16 Scott Lawson
17 Jon Welsh
18 Alastair Kellock
19 John Barclay
20 Chris Cusiter
21 Duncan Weir
22 Jackson

However, realistically I suspect that we will see Morrison retained and Barclay to start at blindside. Can't see that we've got another outside back that is training with the squad, so I suspect my 22 slot has to be either Jackson or Morrison

Braveheart

+ 1

I really think the Physicality of Ferris and O'Brien will be too much for Barclay. The French backrow conceded quite a few turnovers but almost always made it through the gainline.

Might be tempted to give Jackson a shot at 22 or perhaps Grove or Ansbro if available?

ASBO is right Barlcay will probably play 6 and although he plaed well against France we are kidding ourselves if we think he is a proper 6. Morrison is almost certainly going to start at 12 since he made a good carry against France (seemingly enough to justify selection in AR's eyes) and only Rory Lamont's injury is the reason NDL will start at 13 after a very good game against France.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:58 pm

Hijack away !

jeez we have a lot of injuries lucky we have 2 week turnaround eh Shocked

i absolutely think we need more grunt at 6 so i agree Harley should start.

The fact that scott is training does that mean he has a realistic chance to make the bench , cause i thought he wasnt considered due to studies..if so great as every new player introduced seems to add something ! .

one of the main reasons why i posted this in the first place thumbsup

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 05 Mar 2012, 4:40 pm

I'd swap Welsh for Jacobsen, he's had a poor showing this 6 nations and doesn't deserve to start. Welsh has had solid performances for Glasgow of late and deserves a start, Jacobsen for impact sub at best.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 05 Mar 2012, 4:49 pm

Selection, selection, selection

Think I may make a TV program about it, where we get couples looking for a new squad member and I take them round 3 possibles, plus a wild card. They then check out the storage space and thatch, before putting an offer in

The twist will be, Andy Robinson, will appear at random times to tar and feather the potential players, and then send them on a 'wipe out' style assault course - if they do not beat Morrison (who is dressed in a budgie suit) they are then dropped into the vat of, your not my Mate MR AR or even worst - the dreaded - are you trying to suduce me Mr Robinson? maze of non-selection

This of course leaves the contestants a dilema on who they choose, but they could win a big bag of penny sweets if they play their joker and get their player selected

(* Usual joker consists of either an injury to a current player or retirement, but for even more fun, the joker can be revoked if the ratings drop below 21 in the world and a Scotland team scores more than 2 tires in a match)

Simples

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 4:59 pm

Selection. I think mental preparation as well - too wound up and anxious.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 05 Mar 2012, 5:30 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:From the SRU site:

SCOTLAND SQUAD UPDATE PDF Print
Monday, 05 March 2012

A number of players took only a limited part in Scotland squad training today as preparations were stepped up for Saturday’s RBS 6 Nations Championship match against Ireland in Dublin.

Among them half-backs Mike Blair (dead leg) and Greig Laidlaw (concussion) are both making good progress from the injuries they sustained against France last month as is flanker John Barclay (dead leg).

Glasgow Warriors prop Ed Kalman (stitches above his eye) and hooker Dougie Hall (shoulder bruising) are recovering from injuries sustained in their RaboDirect PRO12 match against the Ospreys on Friday, while No 8 Richie Vernon requires treatment for a shoulder injury he sustained in Sale Sharks’ match at Exeter on Saturday.

Two other players in the squad, front-row forwards Ross Ford and Euan Murray, will do their own training today as opposed to involvement in the team session.

The 22 who were on duty for the French international are joined for training this afternoon by Robert Harley, Ruaridh Jackson and Jon Welsh (all Glasgow Warriors) and Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) and Murray (Newcastle Falcons). In addition, Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) is also with the squad though will rest this afternoon as he has a hamstring injury.

I've been let down too many times to have any real hope that any added players not in bold above will be selected.

Would be brilliant but Robinson does not have the hairy brains to do it.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:07 pm

Hmm I wonder what the odds would be on Matt Scott being selected... probably similar to those of the Loch Ness monster turning up and replacing Scotland's front row...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:28 pm

I'd be very, very happy to see Kellock on the bench for Scotland. He's the one player Scotland have that really scares me.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:40 pm

Scott won't get picked - I'd put alot of money on Morrison being retained to stop Ferris, SOB and Healy generating momentum through the middle.

This is the side I predict:

1.Jacobsen 2.Ford 3.Murray 4.Hamilton 5.Gray 6.Barclay 7.Rennie 8.Denton 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.S Lamont 12.Morrison 13.NDL 14.Jones 15.Hogg

16.Cross 17.Lawson 18.Kellock 19.Vernon 20.Cusiter 21.Weir 22.Scott

Personally I'd have Harley instead of Barclay (with Barclay dropping out the 22), Scott at 12 (with Morrison dropping out the 22), Max Evans (NOT GUILTY) coming in to cover on the bench and Jon Welsh replacing Cross on the bench (covering both sides of the scrum).

We really need to be targeting the Irish front 5 at set piece (we really need Murray and Hamilton to apply serious pressure on Healy) and chopping down their ball carriers round the ankles. With forward momentum and Reddan and Sexton at half back we'll be cut to ribbons. We have to get in Irish faces and apply the same frenzied pressure that France and Wales did in patches, and similarly counter punch when it's on.

I thought Ireland were very competitive on Sunday. We have a big big job on our hands.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm

ASBO,

good side with the exception of Jacobsen. He was woeful v France and Wales and England tbh. Welsh should replace him as he can play either side of the front row and is in the form of his life - scoring tries too - another on Friday v Ospreys.

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbs123 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm

I think the use of Barclay may actually be quite interesting as Sean o'brien inst a 'natural' number 7. So we will have two 'natural' opensides and Ireland two 'natural' blindsides. Not that this means much as O'brien is probaly much more useful at 7 than barclay at 6.

Have to say though having watch Ireland vs France i'm not as scared as i feel i should be. Furthermore with the knowledge that both their captain, vice captain and first choice scrum half being injured does mean Scotland arent the only ones with injury worries.

Also attending the same uni as Scott (but never having met him), serval of course mates claim the focus on work wasnt meant to rule him out of the six nations, rather it meant he was focusing on work rather being selected for it. But that could be a load of rubbish from uni rumour mill.

cabbs123

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:47 pm

What is interesting is that POC has been ruled out, which means that Ireland's lineout (which wasn't great against France) is without its leader.

Big opportunity to exploit there and Gray must disrupt it.

Schizoid - there's another thread on Welsh vs Jacobsen and my views are expressed in more detail there, but Welsh's form has been at tighthead, not loosehead. He should be on the bench, but he hasn't done enough to start an international at loosehead. 1 and 3 are very different positions. He certainly deserves to be ahead of Cross in the pecking order though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:53 pm

Perhaps those players aren't as good as you think

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:55 pm

wonder_man wrote:Perhaps those players aren't as good as you think

What are you talking about?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:04 pm

Those predicted to be lions,, 5 or 6 yet Scotland are likely to win the spoon. Maybe they're over hyped a bit

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:13 pm

There's possibly some truth in that.

Personally I think Ford, Gray and Rennie are good enough, but it will all depend on form at the time of selection.

I'd be surprised if Denton, Blair or Hogg made it. Not that they aren't able players, but they'll each face extremely stern competition for their places.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:21 pm

Read in this week's The Rugby Paper that Toulouse are trying to get Richie Gray to tear up his Sale Sharks offer to join them instead for big wonga

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:22 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Scott won't get picked - I'd put alot of money on Morrison being retained to stop Ferris, SOB and Healy generating momentum through the middle.

1.Jacobsen 2.Ford 3.Murray 4.Hamilton 5.Gray 6.Barclay 7.Rennie 8.Denton 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.S Lamont 12.Morrison 13.NDL 14.Jones 15.Hogg

Personally I'd have Harley instead of Barclay (with Barclay dropping out the 22), Scott at 12 (with Morrison dropping out the 22), Max Evans (NOT GUILTY) coming in to cover on the bench and Jon Welsh replacing Cross on the bench (covering both sides of the scrum).

We really need to be targeting the Irish front 5 at set piece (we really need Murray and Hamilton to apply serious pressure on Healy) and chopping down their ball carriers round the ankles. With forward momentum and Reddan and Sexton at half back we'll be cut to ribbons. We have to get in Irish faces and apply the same frenzied pressure that France and Wales did in patches, and similarly counter punch when it's on.

I thought Ireland were very competitive on Sunday. We have a big big job on our hands.
fES, we are in agreement. How's it going back up in the capital?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:22 pm

+1 FES
+1 wonder for a valid point

Unfortunately though over-hyping individuals is all Scotland has right now, with a team with about as much cohesive functionality as an inflatable dartboard due to poor selections and weird position switches (although I personally think Barclay functions fairly well as a blindside, can't wait until Kelly Brown's return though!). I wish I could say I think we'll win and escape the wooden spoon playoff but I can't see that happening, there's even a chance we'll get the spoon. There's a difference with a team being unlucky and just consistently losing. Italy have improved a lot, but you can still safely say they'll only cause the odd upset. It'll take a very long time for Scotland to get out of this proverbial ditch, I think.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:31 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I think that's the team he'll go with, except Max Evans on the bench instead of Scott as he covers center and wing. If you had Scott on the bench there'd be no back 3 cover! Plus Max will have a bee in his bunnet and would be a fantastic impact sub.

Really am significantly more confident now that O'Connell is out - we need to stomp allover that lineout!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:40 pm

ASBO - very nicely thanks, although first day on the job today involved 7 hours of IT training - grim. I should have told them I am already proficient in using 606v2 so frankly no need to teach me anything else.

I know we've lost 3 from 3 but I'm not actually that downbeat. I can see the team moving forward and taking shape. It's a tough ask in Dublin but they've just had a very physical match and have lost two key leaders in POC and BOD. Provided our key players (Blair and Laidlaw in particular) recover we'll give them a very good game, and can hopefully take our new attacking brand to Italy and give them a good beating.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:54 pm

Clear we need another team to give players exposure. Dunbar has looked very good for Glasgow in the last couple of games, just as big as Morrison but with a lot more attacking ability and speed. He will have very limited opportunities for Glasgow unless Lineen sticks with him rather than Dewey (very unlikely to play for Scotland again) etc. The one game I saw Dougie Fife playing for Edinburgh he also looked full of potential but he's back playing for Currie. James Fleming (Scotland 7s, probably the fastest player in Scotland) is attached to Edinburgh but doesn't appear close to getting a game at present when by now he should be figuring in the selection discussions for the Scotland XV.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

I don't really agree. Fleming is playing 7's I think, in the same way Lee Jones was last season. It's a good environment for a winger to develop the necessary skills. Hopefully he'll come back into the Edinburgh squad next season and compete with Tim Visser and Lee Jones. Edinburgh sorely need depth, especially in the wide positions.

Fife has only played one game. Let's not get too carried away. His MOTM was ludicrous, he was no-where near as good as Talei on the day. He looked pacey if slightly leggy. If anything his call-up shows that the system is working to give players like him an opportunity. I'm sure he'll get another chance soon, behind Scott and Houston. I'd rather Thompson was given a shot at 15.

Dunbar may have played well in an couple of games, but he hasn't been consistent when given opportunities in the past. Now that he is performing I'm sure he'll be given more of a chance. Glasgow don't have much depth at centre, Dewey is more a 12 than a 13 (if he's anything at all), and if Dunbar can continue the level of performance he set against the Ospreys I see nothing to stop him making the Glasgow side at 13 next season. Look at how Lineen has given chances to Hogg and Weir.

We're getting closer to needing a 3rd region, but not there yet. Edinburgh's league form is ample evidence.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

I take your point, maybe we're not quite ready for a third team but I do think opportunities are limited for players to develop.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:45 pm

fES good comments as always, agree with most of them. I would also like Harley at 6, but we're in danger of picking guys who haven't played together time after time. Basically keep faith with the team that played France, few bench changes, possibly. Injuries permitting.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by luvtotup Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:05 pm

Guys I just dont see why Harleys name keeps being mentioned as the man for the 6 jersey. Have watched him many times and am becoming more convinced that he needs to beef up and get into the 2nd row. He has a great engine but imho is not an international 6. Welsh, on the other hand, should be in at loosehead now. He has come on a ton this season -he has bulk, strength, good tackler, scores tries and is a very good scrummager.

luvtotup

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:56 pm

Welsh should be in. has had some excellent games at loosehead: Montpellier away, Leinster at home, Edinburgh away and England A. He had a huge scrum impact in these 4 matches.

Because of injuries to Cusack and Low, and Kalman being with Scotland, he has played at tighthead for the last three games and done very well. Welsh has scored 3 tries in his last 4 matches!

But he wont get picked as he isnt ready yet according to Robinson and his coaching staff. He should at least make the bench as he has shown an actual and current ability to play both sides of the scrum effectivley.

What we will gain in the lineout with POC's absence we will lose at scrum time with the inclusion of Jascobsen, and probably Cross on the bench. Thankfully i believe Dickinson is still unable to be selected due to injury.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:09 pm

Both Dewey and Freddy Irn Bru's contracts are up at the end of the season at Glasgow and it's doubtful that they'll get extensions. That frees up 2 spaces among the backs for the young guys to come through. Lineen has been good this year with giving the youngsters a chance. Dunbar appears to be the last guy to get a go though, but like Weir and Hogg seems to be able to take the step up to club rugby in his stride. We need to keep giving the youngsters game time and get them ready for the next step to internationals.

Agree that a 3rd team is a no go at the moment. The SRU need to concentrate on the development of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Get both teams performing well in the Pro12 and make qualification to the knock outs of the HC common place and not once in a blue moon.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:46 pm

Scotland can break their RBS Six Nations Championship rugby duck in Ireland on Saturday – but coach Andy Robinson needs to review substitution and selection policies.

In a no-punches-pulled interview former cap record holder Scott Hastings has also highlighted where the recent clash with France was lost and pointed a finger at attack coach Gregor Townsend when insisting “they have had the opportunity to score and really take a grip of matches but, unfortunately, defensive frailities and errors have cost Scotland.”

Hastings said: “The inability to score tries – as was saw in the World Cup – has come back to really haunt this team.

“I’ve always called upon the senior players to play above their rank (and) I think I saw for the first time in the match against France somebody like Ross Ford suddenly playing to his potential.

“The only disappointing thing was he (Ford) was taken off by Andy Robinson with 12 minutes to go (and) I think it must be disappointing in this modern age that a lot of players never seem to see out the 80 minutes yet they have the physical attributes to do so.

“I thought Ross Ford was playing outstandingly well and suddenly he was taken off.”

Acknowledging that France had earlier brought on William Servat to freshen their front row and hinting that the quality of the respective benches was decisive, former Watsonians and Edinburgh captain Hastings noted: “Suddenly you saw France wear down a Scottish team that had a game there to be won.

“A criticism of Andy Robinson has been selection and coming into this championship the half back combination that was performing out of the top drawer for Edinburgh in the Heineken Cup was Laidlaw and Blair; it took Robinson three games to identify that to select them.

“Unfortunately it just came at the wrong time and it has been a bit of a disaster in terms of some of the selections. There has also been some bright light . . . Stuart Hogg has come in from nowhere and really lit Scotland’s performance up (and) the back row has certainly been one to watch.

“Scotland is very much a work in progress but we have been saying that for the last three years.

“Their kicking plan, their strategic kicking, has not been able to release the pressure. To play an off-loading game for 80 minutes is very taxing on the players as we saw when Scotland played against Wales.

“There were 23-24 phases of possession and Allan Jacobsen knocked on a metre short of the try line. That must frustrate the coaches, must frustrate the team because it is a high risk game, an off loading game. When the errors creep in . . . against Wales it was Laidlaw who missed a tackle on Cuthbert. Against France there was a missed tackle by Lee Jones (and) there was another missed tackle by Laidlaw that cost Scotland 14 points.

“It is difficult to play catch-up rugby in that situation.

“Scotland play a great game but they don’t seem to manipulate the game in way where they had an opportunity (v France) at 17-10 to get back in and get control.

“(Then) Malzieu was able to break the tackle of Lee Jones and put Medard in. It was that type of mistake that cost Scotland the game.”

Amidst speculation that coach Robinson might quit after this tournament Hastings says: “I think Robinson will ultimately stay (although) the Six Nations record has been very disappointing . . . only two wins in the last two championships, a meagre return for the effort that has gone in.

“He is looking to strengthen his coaching set-up by bringing in Scott Johnson (but) I do have a question mark . . . Gregor Townsend needs to be challenged. Scotland are making line-breaks they are just not polishing off. There is a potential strike runner in Stuart Hogg (but) other players have to take responsibility. I don’t see a George North who is able to score the tries (for Wales) unhinge a game and that is what Scotland must look to do.

“It is not going to be the individual, it has to be the collective and the collective has not quite clicked yet.”

Questioned on the paucity of resources with only two professional teams due to as policy of central control, Hastings said: “There are only in the region of 25-30,000 adult rugby players and the adults include 18-year-olds.

“Stuart Hogg is 19 (and) all the youngsters out there have the opportunity but there are only two professional teams playing in the RaboDirect Pro 12 league therefore the academy players and the players on the fringes aren’t being exposed to a high enough level that allows them to step up.

“But Scotland have always had this issue. In my playing days, Scotland always had to punch above their weight. Everyone can appreciate their style of rugby is good, their collective ability is good (so) once the win comes it may be able to be turned around.”

The team to face Ireland is named later today and Hastings would not rule out changes, saying on Talksport Radio’s weekly rugby show: “Scotland have to look at themselves and I appreciate they have had two Sunday games so have been shorn of one of the quality tight heads in Euan Murray (who refuses to play on the Sabbath).

“If Murray can come in that would anchor that scrum.

“Jim Hamilton, for such as big man, he huffs and puffs a lot . . . maybe if Alastair Kellock comes back in? He proved he is still hungry and Richie Gray has the talent but we are lacking the out and out scrummagers (like) Iain Milne and Paul Burnell who was technically very good.

“Allan Jacobsen on the loose head has been outstanding but he lacks that huge bulk for a major international prop forward.

“It’s a quick turnaround for Ireland. There might be a bit of fatigue that creeps in. But Scotland have to take every opportunity, play with confidence and also trust in their defence.

“If they can eliminate mistakes and be in the game with 20 minutes to go they’ll give themselves a chance.”

From the Hootsman Scot Hastings gives AR both barrels in terms of his woeful selections.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:57 pm

All fair comments imo clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:24 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

“I thought Ross Ford was playing outstandingly well and suddenly he was taken off.”
Acknowledging that France had earlier brought on William Servat to freshen their front row and hinting that the quality of the respective benches was decisive, former Watsonians and Edinburgh captain Hastings noted: “Suddenly you saw France wear down a Scottish team that had a game there to be won.

“A criticism of Andy Robinson has been selection and coming into this championship the half back combination that was performing out of the top drawer for Edinburgh in the Heineken Cup was Laidlaw and Blair; it took Robinson three games to identify that to select them.

From the Hootsman Scot Hastings gives AR both barrels in terms of his woeful selections.

So another factor

He can not select the right players and takes off the best performing as it is in his pre-ordained plan - not ability to adapt and play the game in front of him - now I see where our backs get their heads up rugby from
I am SOOOOOO angry furious

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:30 pm

alive555 wrote:On another thread there is chat about who would make the Lions team now. and its updated weekly.

On it features an inordinately large number of Scottish players. who are playing in what appears to be a terminally losing team.

The players highlighted as being potentially of Lions team quality are

Denton
Rennie
Gray
Ford
Blair
Hogg

thats a lot of quality. and thats excluding players like brown and barclay who are also very good no doubt.

The question is - seemingly with so many quality players at our disposal how come we keep losing .? something is not right - it looks quite likely that we might even get the spoon again which would be firkin ridiculous if u ask me. thumbsdown

coach, tactics, luck ?

discuss

Possible answers might include (a) The majority of posters here really have no idea what they are talking about or (b) You have the back bone of a good team, but there is a gaping void in the linking of your proficient ball winning/carrying second/back row to your single world class finisher; and that Ford, good though he is, is not a one man scrum (c) You've just lost your best goal kicker and a few missed shots have cost you the win in close games.

Last edited by miteyironpaw on Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:31 pm

mitey, I'm going to go with (b), but I may be biased Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content