The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ring Magazine Fight of the Year : The 1970's

+4
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
Boxtthis
Union Cane
8 posters

Go down

Ring Magazine Fight of the Year : The 1970's Empty Ring Magazine Fight of the Year : The 1970's

Post by Union Cane Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:22 pm

1970 - CARLOS MONZON W KO12 NINO BENVENUTI I :
1971 - JOE FRAZIER W 15 MUHAMMAD ALI I :
1972 - BOB FOSTER W KO14 CHRIS FINNEGAN :
1973 - GEORGE FOREMAN W KO2 JOE FRAZIER I :
1974 - MUHAMMAD ALI W KO8 GEORGE FOREMAN :
1975 - MUHAMMAD ALI W TKO14 JOE FRAZIER III :
1976 - GEORGE FOREMAN W KO5 RON LYLE :
1977 - JIMMY YOUNG W 12 GEORGE FOREMAN :
1978 - LEON SPINKS W 15 MUHAMMAD ALI I :
1979 - DANNY LOPEZ W KO15 MIKE AYALA :

Last edited by Union Cane on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Ring Magazine Fight of the Year : The 1970's Empty Re: Ring Magazine Fight of the Year : The 1970's

Post by Boxtthis Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:26 pm

This is brilliant. Thanks Union.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Ring Magazine Fight of the Year : The 1970's Empty Re: Ring Magazine Fight of the Year : The 1970's

Post by Rowley Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:28 pm

Cheers union, remember some time ago we discussed what was the fight of the year in the year you were born, mine is Foreman vs Frazier, have always considered it an odd pick because it ain't exactly close or competitive.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:41 pm

It does seem a strange choice rowley, especially when compared to the other fights which are nearly all competitive fights that went the distance, or at least to the later rounds. Perhaps it was selected for the shock value of the unbeaten Frazier getting sat down six times in two rounds.

I'm presuming it was a shock anyway, as I wasn't born at the time...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

Union Cane wrote:
I'm presuming it was a shock anyway, as I wasn't born at the time...

Just checked union, neither was I

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:45 pm

Mines not bad, Young v Foreman. I will take that.

Do we have footage of Jem Mace you can post? Would be nice for Windy to have a fight from the year he was born.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:46 pm

Foreman Lyle for me, believe it or not...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:48 pm

Not.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

rowley wrote:Cheers union, remember some time ago we discussed what was the fight of the year in the year you were born, mine is Foreman vs Frazier, have always considered it an odd pick because it ain't exactly close or competitive.
Got hagler hearns

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:05 pm

Spinks Ali

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:07 pm

You've got a bad one as well Cpt, another more for the shock factor than any great quality in the fight me thinks, one guy who can no longer fight against one who never could, hardly my definition of a classic

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:09 pm

rowley wrote:Cheers union, remember some time ago we discussed what was the fight of the year in the year you were born, mine is Foreman vs Frazier, have always considered it an odd pick because it ain't exactly close or competitive.

May not have been close or competitive, but it was a significant fight and a devastating performance from Foreman which probably justifies it's inclusion based on that

(apologies for the Wiki link but it sums it up nicely)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Foreman#The_Sunshine_Showdown_vs._Joe_Frazier

In 1972, still undefeated, and with an impressive knockout record, Foreman was set to challenge undefeated and undisputed world heavyweight champion Joe Frazier. Despite boycotting a title elimination caused by the vacancy resulting from the championship being stripped from Muhammad Ali, Frazier had won the title from Jimmy Ellis and defended his title four times since, including a 15-round unanimous decision over the previously unbeaten Ali in 1971 after Ali had beaten Oscar Bonavena and Jerry Quarry. Despite Foreman's superior size and reach, he was not expected to beat Frazier[10] and was a 3:1 underdog going into the fight.

The Sunshine Showdown took place on January 22, 1973, in Kingston, Jamaica, with Foreman dominating the fight to win the championship by technical knockout in one of boxing's biggest upsets. In HBO Boxing's first broadcast, the call made by Howard Cosell became one of the most memorable in all of sports: "Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!" Before the fight Frazier was 29–0 (25 KO) and Foreman was 37–0 (34 KO). Frazier was knocked down six times by Foreman within two rounds, with the three knockdowns rule being waived for this bout. After the second knockdown, Frazier's balance and mobility were impaired to the extent that he was unable to evade Foreman's combinations. Frazier managed to get to his feet for all six knockdowns, but referee Arthur Mercante eventually called an end to the one-sided bout.

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm

rowley wrote:You've got a bad one as well Cpt, another more for the shock factor than any great quality in the fight me thinks, one guy who can no longer fight against one who never could, hardly my definition of a classic

Agreed. I actually watched the Spinks Ali fight a few weeks ago and it was painful viewing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:55 am

What a great era the 70's was,what a performance Chris Finnegan put up against the great Bob Foster.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:01 am

I'm a year too early for Bowe Holyfield 1... Dang.

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't add up...)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down