The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The tag division in WWE and TNA

+5
Mr H
Enforcer
ADMIN
Beer
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

The tag division in WWE and TNA Empty The tag division in WWE and TNA

Post by Adam D Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:24 am

At the moment, both WWE and TNA [to a lesser extent] have pretty much ignored proper tag teams in favour of throwing together some midcarders to tag together.

With the exception of a few teams (such as the personality challenged Usos) most are convenience tag teams. Now when e look back at the tag team belt history books, there have been some great tag teams and tag matches. The tag belt used to mean something quite special, and the participants of these matches were stars in their own rights.

Legion of doom > Usos
Road Warriors > Primo and Epico

You get the drift.

When any of the old tag team guys used to get in the rumble, they were met with an almighty pop. What do you think the reaction would be if in next years Rumble Jey Uso came out? Thats the point - the tag division is on its knees and not getting better.

TNA used to have a good tag division but tore it apart for some unbeknownst reason. They are trying to bring some credibility to the belts again but it is through new tag teams as opposed to organic ones (ie Magnus/ Joe an Crimson/ Morgan). However, they are putting the belts on interesting characters again and maybe we will see something good from them.

however, at the moment, there really is little for both promotions to pit against their champs. There is a real dirth of tag teams. so the point of this thread is to have a look at the rosters of both WWE and TNA and come up with a couple of new tag teams that could work and discuss what gimmick you would give them. Now I am not suggesting you take headliners out of the main event, but more realistically, look at the midcard and below and put together some interesting combos that might work.

for the purpose of this discussion, I dont want to see a "bring in the Briscoes from RoH" as that isnt the point - I am looking to help out the midcard who are doing nothing at the moment.

So over to you - lets hear your suggestions for both TNA and WWE.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The tag division in WWE and TNA Empty Re: The tag division in WWE and TNA

Post by Beer Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:29 am

Adam D wrote:
for the purpose of this discussion, I dont want to see a "bring in the Briscoes from RoH" as that isnt the point

Should we raise our hands if we wish to comment?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:30 am

Bourne Funky
Brodus Clay and Evan Bourne paired together as the classic behemoth and runt pairing, both are over with fans, both not in favour backstage but as a pairing I think it could really work as Bourne has no mic skills at all whilst Brodus has a raw magnetism.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:39 am

With WWE i'm really struggling to see who would be a credible tag team from a poor mid card and without rehaashing old gimmicks.

TNA definitely has a better crop of talent for tag teams.

I could see a team of Ziggler and ADR working. Using Ziggler's over confidence and cocky attitude to bounce off ADR's showmanship and shauvanistic side.

Perhaps a team of Kofi and Jackson using the Ghana link.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:49 am

Isn't Jackson from Guyana or have I just misheard the announcers? Regardless, I think that would be a good pairing in terms of one complimenting the other in size and speed.

I am struggling to think of anything else in WWE.

Zema Ion and Robbie-E have gimmicks that I think would work well together, if you kept Rob Terry as the muscle it would give them a bit of extra power.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:53 am

Apologies, E. You're right.

It always sounded like Ghana on the TV. But yeah they would be a good combination.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:02 am

I'd put the following together:

Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder, they'd just be referred to as Hawkins & Ryder. They'd be cocky, arrogant heels in the mould of Edge & Christian. Pretty much picking up from where they left off when they split up.

Mason Ryan & Drew McIntyre with William Regal as mouthpiece/manager. I'd call them The United Kingdom. They'd be ruthless, pitbull-like heels who dress suited and booted and wrestle in smart trousers & shoes with no shirts.

Gabriel & Tatsu. I'd call them The International Express. They'd be likeable high flying faces who'd wear matching bright coloured tights.

Put them three teams with The Colons, The Usos and Air Boom and i think the tag team division would be far more watchable.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm

Hennig and Dibiase - i think they could work well together plus theres the obvious booking if WWE wanted it .

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:26 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:Hennig and Dibiase - i think they could work well together plus theres the obvious booking if WWE wanted it .

Do you think they would need to go back to FCW first? Get Hennig some more ring time before bringing them in? Also, would it not be too similar to what they did with Rhodes and Dibiase?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

King Beer wrote:
KingKenny7Heaven wrote:Hennig and Dibiase - i think they could work well together plus theres the obvious booking if WWE wanted it .

Do you think they would need to go back to FCW first? Get Hennig some more ring time before bringing them in? Also, would it not be too similar to what they did with Rhodes and Dibiase?

Given his lack of ring time recently then yes Hennig could do with some tuning especially if he were to take on the family name , i could see Dibiase as looking for then buying the Perfect partner to challenge for the tag belts
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Awesome Giz Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:54 pm

"Mason Ryan & Drew McIntyre with William Regal as mouthpiece/ manager. I'd call them The United Kingdom. They'd be ruthless, pitbull-like heels who dress suited and booted and wrestle in smart trousers & shoes with no shirts."

They did that on the WWE 12 game with Sheamus, Barrett, McIntyre and Regel. They split after 4 months.

The Awesome Giz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:53 pm

LOL even on video games, the WWE booking as very short term!!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 01 Mar 2012, 3:05 pm

Okey dokey, lets try and solve TNA's tag team woes:

Currently they have:

Crimson & Morgan
Magnus & Samoa Joe

Firstly, I think Crimson and Morgan will split soon, as they're scripted as being too individual to work as a tag team.

While Magnus and Joe seem to work well together, I'd like to see the British Invasion (Magnus & Williams) reform. Also, I'm hoping for Roode's imminent defeat by Storm, followed by a face turn and the reformation of Beer Money.

It'd require a fair bit of creative writing, but I think those two teams could reform. No idea what D-Von and Pope are doing right now, following their acrimonious split. Ought to be a way for them to get back together, or possibly have Team 3D reform. It'd give Bully Ray something to do other than beat up heavyweight title contenders and fall at the final hurdle.

Here's how I see the TNA tag team division looking (with a bit of effort):

Beer Money*
British Invasion
The Pope & D-Von / Team 3D
AJ Styles / Kazarian
Daniels / Gunner / Samoa Joe
Garrett Bischoff / Mr Anderson
Robbie E / Robbie T (Rob T is WASTED playing minder to E)
Motor City Ink / Machineguns Inc? (Alex Shelley & Shannon Moore)
MCMG**

* Probably wishful thinking, but they were a great team.
** Should be back once Chris Sabin is fit again.

I think guys like Angle, RVD (unless he leaves soon), Crimson and Morgan would be better individual fighters. Also, with Robbie E out of the picture Eric Young could be the TV champ. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down