The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yani Tseng

+7
kwinigolfer
Plunky
McLaren
Fader
navyblueshorts
puligny
lorus59
11 posters

Go down

Yani Tseng Empty Yani Tseng

Post by lorus59 Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:54 am

I have been a member of this site for a while now and read the golf section religiously but I have never seen a word about the number one ladies golf player, Yani Tseng. If you think what she has achieved already and she is only 22, I think there should be some vindication of that.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Yani Tseng Empty Re: Yani Tseng

Post by puligny Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:10 am

Clearly a class act but must admit that while I watch some of the ladies golf , not that much and therefor don't know enough. Must do better!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:32 am

You haven't read that deeply. She's been mentioned on here a number of times albeit there haven't been many Yani-themed threads truth be told.

I voted for her in the v2 poll for Golfer of the Year a while back.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:29 am

Interestingly watched Golfing world the other day and they had an interviewe section with Annika Sorenstam, and she highlighted the fact she works very closely with Yani as her mentor. She mentioned they spend several weeks of the year working on her mental game and how to improve to the next step.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:51 am

Is it a sad sign that we are a sexist sex sells society when it comes to female sports stars? Tseng is a great golfer and that should be enough for people to talk about, but I get the feeling that if she were a little better looking she would get more media coverage.

This coupled with a declining LPGA tour has maybe meant we are not hearing about the news stories in the women’s game.

Kwini/Shotrocl/Venice/other US buddies,

Is there more coverage of the LPGA tour over your way or have the local media abandoned it as well?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:03 am

She's had an amazing career to date and always gives a great interview too, even back when her English wasn't as good as it is now. Although she gets some recognition she would certainly be talked about far more if she were either American and/or a long-legged well endowed blonde with a fondness for short skirts or (ahem) a nurses uniform. Whistle

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 am

Mac, lorus,
I think there is a genuine will among the US golfing media to be more inclusive of the LPGA now that it appears their fortunes have bottomed out and might possibly be on the rise.

But please remember that there haven't been any tournaments in the US yet this year and it has been a litle tricky to determine whether events around the world are part of a Tour or merely limited field quasi-exhibitions.

I think Yani Tseng will gain more recognition here this year, but clearly not as much as the ever under-achieving (only compared to her media presence) Michelle Wie, and clearly not as much as if her name was, say, Paula Creamer.

With the advent of so many limited field tournaments under the auspices of the LPGA Tour, I would say it's quite possible that the LPGA could well divide into two during the coming year or three - the "journeyman" Lady player on gets to compete in about a dozen full field tournaments these days and it's as if the Tour has inadvertently cut off the supply line of top young American women golfers. Not very healthy, but probably what Tiger would like to see for the men.

(Like nbs, I supported Yani Tseng on here for golfer of the year.)

PS: plunky, Are you our late friend "maverick" in disguise?
PPS: Didn't she buy Sorenstam's house?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:29 am

Funnily enough, the same question was asked a while ago (i.e. why doesn't Yani have more recognition generally), but with pretty much the same conclusion reached as explained above.

Tying into the thread about poor journalism and recent comments about the phenomenon known as "Linsanity", the newspaper article I saw on the latter said something like "Lin has quickly become a sporting legend in Taiwan, alongside the world's number 1 woman golfer, Yanni Tseng..."

If he was still on here, Mav probably would have been happy to contribute - aside from the point about nurses' uniforms which I'm sure would have been impossible for him to ignore, it sounded like his daughter wanted to be Yani Tseng!

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:03 am

That was Mav with the nurses uniform fetish? I recall reading it but couldn't remember which esteemed poster had the issue !
The golf channel reacts to Michelle wie just like they do to tiger --the story is all about them regardless of how they are performing. I remember when Stacy Lewis won the q school event to graduate onto the LPGA the headline was all about how Michelle had come fourth, even though Stacy, also American, had a much more interesting story -- battled scoliosis as a teen. I wish the golf channel would employ an ex LPGA player (you'd think there'd be someone out there with some journalistic talent). Maybe then the reporting would be a little better balanced. Lauren Thompson (never played golf) and Win McMurray (can barely read a cue card) don't add much other than being eye-candy for the male viewer. And where's the eye candy for the female viewer, I'd like to know ?!

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:17 am

I understood that Kelly Tilghman played on the Ladies European Tour for a bit, at least. Can't remember the source of this info though - perhaps some tweets with Westwood?

Speaking of whom, I noted from flicking through latest edition of Golf World that John Huggan's latest column takes its cue from Kelly's infamous ambush of/interview with Matt Every. Huggy suggests some other candid questions which she or other journalists might want to ask certain pro golfers, male and female (in his usual entertaining and mildly controversial style).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:24 am

Sky

Maybe you should start a new thread with his proposed questions, it would be an interesting read. We could also contribute some of out own questions?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:48 am

A note on mav, despite our differences it was a shame to loose him from the site and I feel he was overly influenced by the over catastrophizing of davie and the deluded mercurio. I have no doubt without the influence of those two he would still be happily posting on here and we would still be finding out about the progress of future womens number 1 mavette.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am

Mac - From my observation, other than the majors, almost no coverage for LPGA events on the major networks. Regular appearances on Golf Channel (but they need to fill time).

The media, crowds and corporate sponsorship are on a much, much smaller scale as compared to the men's PGA events. Think Nationwide tour stuff. I've heard discussions that if a course wants a big Men's event, they would be wise to take their turn with a woman's event first. Not sure how much of this banter is to be believed.

How much would a flat-out American star change this media attention? Not much, I think, unless she looked like Maria Sharapova.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 am

Plunky wrote:...and Win McMurray (can barely read a cue card...
Ah, but Win was the source of one of the funnier gaffs re. Mr. Woods. It's not just glamour; she can do gags as well!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Mac.

Castrophising Davie and his small sexist, ageist, anti Scottish gang of three are driving folk away from 'them' fairly sharpish.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm sorry Doon but why the knee-jerk mention of "anti-Scottish"? Is it "He's Tory, therefore he must be anti-Scottish"? With any luck, Scotland will vote for independence sooner rather than later and then maybe we won't have to listen to it any more.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:02 pm

NBS
There are a few on 'them's' board that are fairly ignorant on Scottish politics.
The term 'empty vessels make the most noise' fits them well.

For the record, the independance thing has been the same for about the last 50 years. Basically 30% of Scots are in favour.
Some folk who are not up to speed get confused that Scots are voting SNP but do not want independance.

Apologies lorus 59.
I love watching Yani but Ladies golf in the UK is pretty low on the agenda at present. Look at the LEPGA tour schedule for proof. Hopefully it will pick up again.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 pm

bit of pointless thread really lorus, abit like friendly football matches i suupose.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:28 am

Mystir, if this was a thread about a skins game between 4 golfing pros miked up, I would agree with you. To me that is a good comparison to international football friendlies. A good comparison to this thread would be no one ever mentioning Messi.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:43 am

lorus lol, i didnt want to get in some pointless debate, it was just an off the cuf private joke! because many of us dont really care about ladies golf, just like you dont care about friendly football matches!

i do have to point out that the comparison between messi and the top ladies golfer is also abit pointless, a comparision to messi would be tiger or micliroy !! obviously

either way both threads are fine thumbsup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 am

mystiroakey

I seriously hope you just partaking in some wummery, in itself bad enough, rather than actually holding such ignorant views on women’s golf? I would argue that without the power an length of the men’s game the women’s game is something more akin to what golf should be about. They can’t get the spin out the rough as easily, many interesting and original hazards are still in play and they play the clubs the architects will have imagined a green would take.

What is more interesting; watching pga tour guys play outside the realms of the courses features or watching people having to think about the problems a course was designed to present?

As to not realising the immense talent of Tseng, well if you are that poor when it comes to identifying golfing talent then your opinion is rather void anyhow.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:11 am

mclaren its a private joke- which i explained above(he knows allready)- he understands the point- no need to take the view you have at all!.

if you really want to understand - i started a match thread on england v holland and the poster posted that it was pointless to start a thread on it because the game meant nothing!!

i posted that 'both threads were fine'- not something he is willing to admit- so just leave it at that!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:25 am

The point is though, that you still think the womens game is pointless and that tseng is not comparable with the worlds top sports people?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:28 am

do i?

when did i say that, it was the joke. i dont think friendlies are pointless and i dont think ladies golf is- however some people do!

i compared the mens golf to mens football! he compared a womens golfer to a mens footballer- which however unjust you may find it, sadly the men are much more marketable and talked about!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 am

Some one like Tseng is in my opinion a great role model for any young girls wanting to play golf. She is just as dominant as Tiger was in his prime. I agree that men's sport in general attract more attention but what she is doing is definitely worth a mention here.
As for football International friendlies, I think they matter a lot more to the Football Associations of each country than to the players. I think Gerrard walking off with his "injury" after 30 minutes said it all.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:31 am

i think its more about allowing people to have there own opinions on matters lorus!!

The girls do a great job when it comes to golf(not just limiting that staement to the latest talent)- i actually watch them occasionally and watched the solheim cup from start to finish. But i am golf mad. However i wouldnt have a pop at anyone that doesnt care about the womens game- it really is up to them!!

We come on message boards to talk about what we want to- we dont need to be dictated to in what we should or shouldnt talk about Yani Tseng 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:10 am

I didn't dictate anything to anyone. The reason I stared this thread was because I wanted to state my opinion that Yani Tseng should get more of a mention because of her achievements. There was always the possibility that no one would have cared at all and there would have been no replies. Unlike tennis, the women do not get paid the same as the men and rightly so. The men's product will always be more exciting and therefore worth more coverage in the media. But I bet there are millions of men who wish they had Yani Tseng's game.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:54 pm

I think you need to just relax abit more, maybe put things across slightly differently.

why the comment on my match thread?(its up to me and others to talk or 'care' anbout a friendly game, not you!)

why didnt you just discuss Tseng rather than casting the apersion that we 'SHOULD' be talking about her?(even though we have done on occasion any way!!!)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:33 am

If I think something is a pointless exercise (international friendly matches), and there is a thread about it, then I think I am fully justified in giving my opinion. If you care so deeply about these games that is up to you. I just don't share your enthusiasm.
And yes, I do think that on a golfing section we SHOULD occasionally mention the number 1 ladies golfer and all her achievements.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down