The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question for Boxnation/Frank Warren

+12
d260005p
BoxingFan88
Rowley
The Sweet Science UK
bhb001
ShahenshahG
The Galveston Giant
steven24
Union Cane
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Go down

A question for Boxnation/Frank Warren Empty A question for Boxnation/Frank Warren

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:37 am

So you want the "47 year old Hoppo" for Cleverly......Why do you want him?? as you didn't seem to want him when you had Calzaghe who you keep comparing your ordinary charge to...

Is it the usual... we'll get a half dead Barrera and proclaim Khan a genius afterwards...scenario????

Are we really all that thick???

Please give us some credit!!!

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : errors)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

A question for Boxnation/Frank Warren Empty Re: A question for Boxnation/Frank Warren

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

At Barreras stage it was clear he wasnt at World level anymore, B-Hop is still probably the best in the division right now and is the biggest name in the division so its a lot different...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

A question for Boxnation/Frank Warren Empty Re: A question for Boxnation/Frank Warren

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

He's 47 yerars of age Mate!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:53 am

B'Hops fighting style isn't one of great work rate though so his age doesn't really matter, he spoils and stops others working and makes them fight at his pace, despite his Alex is right, he is still probably one of the top guys in the division.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:55 am

He'll be 48 when he fights him!!! He's slow and can only fight for 30 seconds a round....

Come on!!!! Why didn't he want him for Calzaghe??????????????????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:56 am

I'm sure they are only after Hopkins because he is the WBC champion.

If B-Hop loses the title to Dawson again in April, I'm sure Clev will be fighting Dawson in the summer instead.

(As long as Nathan gets past Lonnie Donegan's dad at the Albert Hall of course.)
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

I agree Truss but he beat Pascal, and what if he does beat Dawson? I can't see Warren putting him in with Clev if he beats Dawson personally. It's a big if mind.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:03 am

Hopkins won the Calzaghe fight, but let himself down by going down to get a break at every opportunity, he did the classier work and landed the bigger shots though. Cleverly isn't ready for a Jean Pascal or Chad Dawson yet imo, Never mind Hopkins

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:04 am

steven24 wrote:Hopkins won the Calzaghe fight, but let himself down by going down to get a break at every opportunity, he did the classier work and landed the bigger shots though.

19/04/2008 - Joe Calzaghe W SD12 Bernard Hopkins.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:04 am

I think Dawson will win the rematch.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:10 am

What is the point of a moderator who's sole purpose is to wind the posters up????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:12 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What is the point of a moderator who's sole purpose is to wind the posters up????

Would you care to elaborate on that?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:12 am

I had Hopkins the winner too but he seriously annoyed me during the JC fight if he put a little more emphasis on punching rather rolling about he would have walked out the clear winner.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:13 am

Union Cane wrote:
steven24 wrote:Hopkins won the Calzaghe fight, but let himself down by going down to get a break at every opportunity, he did the classier work and landed the bigger shots though.

19/04/2008 - Joe Calzaghe W SD12 Bernard Hopkins.

Was just my view that Hopkins won the fight, Calzaghe got the nod, like i thought Marquez won the Pacquiao fight in November but Manny got the nod

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:14 am

Hopkins may have deserved the win, but he lost, that is what I'm saying. To say Hopkins won the fight is wrong.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:16 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:I think Dawson will win the rematch.

Agree Dawson should use his height and size to beat him and end B-Hop as long as he keeps it rangy and makes B-Hop work. Then again Hopkins has a way of suprising us....

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:18 am

"A teleconference was set up in my office in New York for July 30th, 2002, and on the call was myself, Don King who was in the room, Frank Warren and Bernard Hopkins' lawyer, Arnold Joseph. Along with Arnold was a woman named Linda Carter, who was there on behalf of Bernard. We asked Arnold if Bernard wanted to fight Joe Calzaghe and we asked him how much money would he want if he did. The response we got was $3million and the fight would have to take place in the United States. After a little scratching of the head, we said 'Okay, done.' Frank Warren agreed on the spot, Don King agreed and we agreed so as far as we were concerned all parties were singing off the one hymm sheet. Arnold excused himself with Linda and I can only assume it was to call Bernard. Either that day or the next day, they came with a new demand: $6million, double the sum that had been agreed, the deal blew up.....he had then and still has no desire to fight Joe Calzaghe, that much is pretty clear.

Joe gets criticised sometimes for not having fought the big-name Americans, but in this case the fault has never rested with him."

- Jay Larkin, then Showtime TV Network's Senior Vice-President of Sports and Event Programming.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:20 am

Never seen that before Shah, very interesting.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

ShahenshahG wrote:"A teleconference was set up in my office in New York for July 30th, 2002, and on the call was myself, Don King who was in the room, Frank Warren and Bernard Hopkins' lawyer, Arnold Joseph. Along with Arnold was a woman named Linda Carter, who was there on behalf of Bernard. We asked Arnold if Bernard wanted to fight Joe Calzaghe and we asked him how much money would he want if he did. The response we got was $3million and the fight would have to take place in the United States. After a little scratching of the head, we said 'Okay, done.' Frank Warren agreed on the spot, Don King agreed and we agreed so as far as we were concerned all parties were singing off the one hymm sheet. Arnold excused himself with Linda and I can only assume it was to call Bernard. Either that day or the next day, they came with a new demand: $6million, double the sum that had been agreed, the deal blew up.....he had then and still has no desire to fight Joe Calzaghe, that much is pretty clear.

Joe gets criticised sometimes for not having fought the big-name Americans, but in this case the fault has never rested with him."

- Jay Larkin, then Showtime TV Network's Senior Vice-President of Sports and Event Programming.

Love you Shah but your point is? Bit random...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:23 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So you want the "47 year old Hoppo" for Cleverly......Why do you want him?? as you didn't seem to want him when you had Calzaghe who you keep comparing your ordinary charge to...

Is it the usual... we'll get a half dead Barrera and proclaim Khan a genius afterwards...scenario????

Alex read the bit in bold

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:32 am

There are a lot of ways of negotiating yourself out of a deal....Surprised you didn't feel the need to put "Fat American" in your posts as you usually do....

The guy has form with Hatton and Calzaghe leaving him for big fights...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:37 am

ShahenshahG wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So you want the "47 year old Hoppo" for Cleverly......Why do you want him?? as you didn't seem to want him when you had Calzaghe who you keep comparing your ordinary charge to...

Alex read the bit in bold

Ah, my bad mate thought it was in response to when we were talking about the fight itself Doh

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:There are a lot of ways of negotiating yourself out of a deal....Surprised you didn't feel the need to put "Fat American" in your posts as you usually do....

The guy has form with Hatton and Calzaghe leaving him for big fights...

Your presence here rendered the phrase redundant. Yes - like doubling your demands then taking a fight for half the money againt a carp opponent

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

Warren didnt negotiate his way out there though B-Hop did so he did want him when he had Calzaghe.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:54 am

I want a date with Carmen Electra, but know I'm not going to get it. In the same way, Warren can shout from the roof tops that Cleverley is ready and should fight Hopkins, safe in the knowledge that he will never have to live up these expectations.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:11 pm

Dawson will beat B-Hop in the rematch. IMO Dawson (when focused) is the best in that division hands down.

Cleverly is nowhere near ready for any of the big names at 175 & I don't think he has enough pop/power in his punches to trouble these guys.

His asset is his work-rate and punch out-put but against the better quality opponents (who aren't going to stand in front of you and take them and will punch back) I don't see Cleverly doing well.

A fight against Cloud would be the best way for him to go after Cloud was exposed as a hype-job by Campillo the other week (who boxed superbly).
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:11 pm

alma wrote:How many big American names does warren actually entice to face his charges? And lets face it, boxnation can't afford fights like these

This is the quandary facing them though, you would have to think if the channel is going to get anywhere near the subscription figures they want they are not going to do it on the back of Tommy Karpency in the other corner.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:16 pm

alma wrote:How many big American names does warren actually entice to face his charges? And lets face it, boxnation can't afford fights like these

Are you there accountant?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:41 pm

The fight would more than likely be in Vegas and the majority of the money would come from American TV network - HBO. They will just have the rights from the promoter to air the fight on BoxNation like the Chisora - Vit fight or am I wrong?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:28 pm

Please don't start the 'Who won the Calzaghe vs Hopkins fight' argument again, its been done to death, those who have opinions will stick to it no matter what.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:30 pm

alma wrote:I do work in finance yes! But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that a) Hopkins isn't going to fight in UK, and b) that boxnation wouldn't be able to afford this fight unless their subscription figures are higher than expected

How? If boxnation can afford to show Mayweather vs Cotto on May 5th, then i am absolutely sure that they can show Hopkins/Dawson vs Cleverley.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:45 pm

Quote from Warren: -

"Nathan needs big fights, he rises to them and he has great temperament."

How does he know?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:09 pm

Alma - Frank Warren owns both boxnation and cleverlys tv rights. More or less free for him.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:44 pm

We are not thick on this forum no! Quite the opposite in fact! But unlike us the majority of sports fans are thick. A big name sells. Dennis Lebedev can get millions of Russians to watch him batter a guys that used to be called James Toney and Roy Jones Junior. It's all in a name.

It's like, Meg Ryan Truss, she's getting on a bit now but I'm sure you'd pay to see her if she was in your town hall.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:00 pm

On a point of clarity, Frank Warren is a shareholder in boxnation, not the owner, am not sure the percentage of his share holding has been revealed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

alma wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:Alma - Frank Warren owns both boxnation and cleverlys tv rights. More or less free for him.

I realise that. But popkins is signed to golden boy and frank will be paying millions to Bernard for the fight and the revenue in the UK won't cover it. And I can't imagine US tv will care about cleverly.

They've already got a deal with gbp I thought? for the previous Hopkins/dawson fight? And two or three american/canadian channels have shared coverage with them already:?

Its how they got mayweather cotto on the cheap - also gives gbp fighters a chance to get ppv money from uk.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:04 pm

I'm with Alma. There's a key difference in BoxNation screening the fight and FW (who isn't BoxNation) actually bring the fight to Wales on his own Bill.

Judging by his previous, I don't think he could afford it.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:27 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:"A teleconference was set up in my office in New York for July 30th, 2002, and on the call was myself, Don King who was in the room, Frank Warren and Bernard Hopkins' lawyer, Arnold Joseph. Along with Arnold was a woman named Linda Carter, who was there on behalf of Bernard. We asked Arnold if Bernard wanted to fight Joe Calzaghe and we asked him how much money would he want if he did. The response we got was $3million and the fight would have to take place in the United States. After a little scratching of the head, we said 'Okay, done.' Frank Warren agreed on the spot, Don King agreed and we agreed so as far as we were concerned all parties were singing off the one hymm sheet. Arnold excused himself with Linda and I can only assume it was to call Bernard. Either that day or the next day, they came with a new demand: $6million, double the sum that had been agreed, the deal blew up.....he had then and still has no desire to fight Joe Calzaghe, that much is pretty clear.

intresting quote but still think there always two sides to the story. if warren wanted the fight that bad he should have stuck with it and gone back to them. hopkins was coming off a win against felix in which im sure he made more than 3 million, while during that time calzaghe had been beating the likes of veit, mcintyre, brewer, jimenez and tocker pudwill hardly top elite talent. its like ricky burns calling out jmm its just not going to happen. if they wanted the fight that bad should have gone over to amercia to put some pressure on, wonder how many times they went back to try and get a fight with him?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:35 pm

He got 2.8 mill for trinidad and trinidad got 8 mill. Hopkins then got 1.5 mill for the fight after negotitaions broke down with calzaghe.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:38 pm

d260005p wrote:
alma wrote:I do work in finance yes! But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that a) Hopkins isn't going to fight in UK, and b) that boxnation wouldn't be able to afford this fight unless their subscription figures are higher than expected

How? If boxnation can afford to show Mayweather vs Cotto on May 5th, then i am absolutely sure that they can show Hopkins/Dawson vs Cleverley.

Buying the rights to show a fight is a lot cheaper than funding a fight with A grade fighters who command huge fees. BoxNation would not afford to show Floyd against one of Warren's fighters unless its on PPV, whereas Sky can. BN cannot afford to have loss leaders also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:42 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:He got 2.8 mill for trinidad and trinidad got 8 mill. Hopkins then got 1.5 mill for the fight after negotitaions broke down with calzaghe.

couldnt find any information on this anywhere, where did you hear that? dont forget the bet hopkins had on himself as he was a big underdog! i do wonder what calzaghe would have got in the fight. like i said hopkins was the much bigger name

Last edited by compelling and rich on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:06 pm

i'll find something for you later if I can mate - I remember it so clearly because we were trying to shut up d4

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:11 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2578889

this one says it was less but i'm fairly certain it was 2.8

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:33 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2578889

this one says it was less but i'm fairly certain it was 2.8

well that goes some way to explain hopkins mindset, as it says he was very upset with only getting 2.5mil for the felix fight while felix got 9. im sure he was trying to milk calzaghe for all he could but i still agree partly with him as he was the man and calzaghe wasnt really known in the US. id be suprised if warren didnt have a very good deal for calzaghe lined up for that fight, he's not really known for chucking a fighter in at a risk for not much money.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:47 pm

Thats it - I remember now - Joe Calzaghe, Hakkar (the guy he fought instead - the mandatory) and that guy who had an accident simon harris for $10 mill package deal - I knew there was something I was missing.

C&R - its been done to death - I was just responding to the op who claimed warren never wanted hopkins for Calzaghe.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down