The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is going on at Bath??

+2
beshocked
Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
6 posters

Go down

What is going on at Bath?? Empty What is going on at Bath??

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:32 pm

Matt Carraro, one of Bath's must under-utilised, yet thoroughly decent backs is apparently off to Montpellier according to Twitter.

Even when we've lost, he's always looked strong and skillful for Bath, and if this does come to pass, I think it's myopic to release one of our better players.

I'm really not sure what's going on at Bath. I was all for giving Geech a chance, yet we've just looked slugged under his direction and the new signings have hardly been, well, staggering. I don't think we have the pack to boss other teams, nor the backs to threaten them, and I kind of hope that in the next 18 months, Bruce Almightly will take something of a broom to the club and ignite a bit of pace, passion and skill to a club that appears to be treading water in all departments on the field and on the training paddock.

The Rugby Paper has linked us to Andy Robinson for next season. Wouldn't surprise me, but is he really the man? I'd like to think yes, but his record as a Head Coach is hardly one to cast in gold. We also need a backs coach. Let Geech sort out contracts, new signings, etc, let someone else coach the squad.

Banners looked all at sorts at the weekend. He's not the most emmotive of players, but he always gives his best, but against Glaws, he looked bored and disinterested. Pulled from pillar to post positionally? Fagged off with being dropped by England? Unimpressed with our back play? Who knows, but let's hope it's not terminal for his Bath career, as he is still an awesome player on his day.

We then have the Leicester trio who, on paper, are brilliant players, but so often the only paper we see them on is the sick note. Moodos and Danny H pick up injuries like a bin man picks up litter, and Sam Vestey, telented though he may be, hasn't the gas or the boot to make it any more.

I'd also shed few tears if Stephen Donald jacked it in at the end of the season. Clearly something isn;t right with him. He's injured at present, so, having been here about three months, what does he do? Push off back to NZ for a bit of r&r. Now, I have every sympathy towards his injury, but if he was comfortable in his surroundings, he'd forego 48hrs there and back on a plane to stay and cheer on his teammates. I have heard rumours that Michael Claassens has little faith in Donald as a stand off, which is irritating from a couple of angles. Firstly, MC should just get over it and play with his squad, but secondly, you kind of hear his point when he's played along side Butch James, who was a level above most, and you hear of the ridiculous salary SD is alleged to be on and think what has he got that Butch didn't?

I hate criticising our players, but something is clearly not at ease at Bath.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

What is going on at Bath?? Empty Re: What is going on at Bath??

Post by beshocked Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:00 pm

Why not look at the likes of Dave Ellis, Brian Ashton and even Dean Richards?

Dean Richards would certainly fit in with the likes of Hipkiss,Moody and Vesty. Wink

Brian Ashton obviously has history at Bath.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:13 pm

Butch James, who was a level above most, and you hear of the ridiculous salary SD is alleged to be on and think what has he got that Butch didn't?

Well Donald isn't a cheap shot merchant who's powers are diminishing so in that respect Donald is an upgrade. Always felt Bath were slightly grabbing at straws for that signing.

We then have the Leicester trio who, on paper, are brilliant players, but so often the only paper we see them on is the sick note. Moodos and Danny H pick up injuries like a bin man picks up litter, and Sam Vestey, telented though he may be, hasn't the gas or the boot to make it any more.

Which is why Tigers made so little effort to keep them. I think those signings were endemic of why Bath aren't playing with the big boys. They have been trying to buy success rather than develop it. The Bath academy is producing some fine players but quite often they are stuck behind the likes of Taylor and Vesty. It's started to change this season with the likes of Woodburn, Ovens and Heathcote getting more game time but in previous seasons it was very strange from an outside point of view.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

Try being a London Irish fan mate.

Couldn't win a raffle at the moment, had planning permission for a new training facility refused, made a loss of over £1 million pound last year, don't own our own ground, are losing players by the bucketload and announce a second string Osprey as a big signing!!!

At least you have a money man in place who can take you forward.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:30 pm

Ozzy don't talk about making financial losses. Crying or Very sad

I agree though. I think the clubs in the biggest state are London Irish and London Wasps. They really need some financial muscle behind them.

Having financial backers at clubs like Bath and Sarries is extremely helpful.

It's not just about having the money though. It's how you use it.

If I was a Bath fan this is what I would want:

A clear vision and picture.

Let's be honest the likes of Donald,Vesty, Hipkiss and Moody are at Bath for the money. Same with those who go to Toulon.

In contrast you want hungry players with a point to prove - players in their prime who have real ambition.

If you are not attracting them now you need to find out how.

Develop your academy more.

Sign up low profile players who have potential. The likes of Leicester and Sarries seem particularly good at this at the moment.

What's your gameplan? The whole club seems disjointed.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

Please take Robinson back. He's a Bath man, and he's making a hash of the Scotland job at the moment.

Problem is that McGeechan has been making the signings and overseeing the rebuild - always tricky to make such a big change in the middle of such a project.

On paper the Bath backs should be really good:

9.Claasens 10.Donald 11.Biggs 12.Barkley 13.Hipkiss 14.Banahan 15.Abendannon

If fully fit, that's a really strong backline. Don't see why it can't click.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

9.Claasens 10.Donald 11.Biggs 12.Barkley 13.Hipkiss 14.Banahan 15.Abendannon

If fully fit, that's a really strong backline. Don't see why it can't click.

I really am not trying to be antagonistic, i have the bragging rights after all. But I couldn't disagree more - that backline doesn't look threatening at all. Claasens, Barkley and Hipkiss ar epast their best. You may get the odd game of brilliance but that's it. Abendannon is the only one that really can cause problems and has improved his game no end in recent years - he can catch a high ball now! Biggs is a decent club player and Banahan can be destructive, but as mentioned can also be disinterested.

I'm not surprised Cararro is off. Despite my criticism of the backs, it's the front 5 that needs to be looked at. Personally, I'd rather Bath stay as they are... Whistle
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down