The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come backs

+2
Kay Fabe
uberkiwi
6 posters

Go down

Come backs Empty Come backs

Post by uberkiwi Wed 23 Mar 2011, 3:13 pm

Hey All,

Been loitering for a while, finally signed up today - hello!

First of all, ive watched the WWE on and off for a good 18-19 years, and more recently TNA over the last year (more fool me). I watch Wrestling for the Entertainment value, not necessarily the Wrestling side of things, although I do appreciate some good enthralling matches. I am also not massively versed in the History of Wrestling, I just remember snippets of information - I wont be able to tell you who won the championship at Summerslam in 92.

Anyway, just lately theres been a lot of 'comebacks' in the IWC from Sting in TNA (if you can call it that) to the Rock in the WWE.

Since I was a kid a come back was something really special. We didnt have the internet back then so it geniunely was a huge suprise watching someone return without having the foggiest idea that said wrestler was due back. It usually didnt matter who it was either, even if it was someone I didnt like id mark out like crazy jumping around my livingroom at 3am (I was 14, honest). Returns such as Taker (cant remember which PPV) but hearing the bell going off and then having him come down and clear the ring - hell, even Cena's return at the Rumble was insane, the pop he got...

Anyway, I digress. Usually a BIG return only generally happens at one of the big PPVs, but more so than ever it seems to be a common occurance and its starting to get a bit stale. Its getting to a point now when the curtain goes back and its all a bit 'meh'. Lately we've had Booker T, JBL, The Rock, Christopher Daniels, Sting, HHH, Taker and more all in the matter of a few weeks.

Have come backs lost their magic? If so why? Is it because of the IWC and our ability to predict/confirm online before events? Too many too soon? Or am I just getting old?

Feedback!?

uberkiwi

Back to top Go down

Come backs Empty Re: Come backs

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 23 Mar 2011, 3:32 pm

The Internet definitely makes a difference, what you need to ask is it for the better or worse? I prefer using the net as it gives me a chance to discuss wrestling related topics with like minded fans

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 23 Mar 2011, 3:52 pm

Come backs have definitely been spoiled by the internet, but as we've seen with John Cena's at the 2008 Royal Rumble they can still be done really well without the IWC finding out. That was a HUGE shocker and anyone who says they knew he was going to return then is a liar. But there were extenuating circumstances for it in a way because Cena came back after 3 months when he was meant to be out for 6-8 months.

For the most part we know how long someone is going to be out for and when they're scheduled to return so if there's a pay per view coming up you get tons of speculation that so & so is coming back. I mean how many times did we hear that with Triple H recently?

"He's returning tonight" - he doesn't show up.

"He's definitely returning tonight" - still no sign.

"He'll be here tonight" - Nope.

Then when he did eventually return "I knew he was coming back tonight!"

So we get returns spoiled for us all the time, although there have been an unusually high number of comebacks over the last few months as well, so maybe the next one doesn't seem as important or surprising when you've already seen 3 or 4 over the last few weeks.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 23 Mar 2011, 4:02 pm

I had no idea Rock would be back that was great, Cena returning was a massive shock but by the time he got in the ring i was over it

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 23 Mar 2011, 8:33 pm

The Rock was a biggie and the rumour mill went back and forth for a while on it, most of the dirtsheets had it being the Price is Right host until a few hours prior when Dwayne blabbed to facebook.

The likes of Sting, Taker etc weren't, to me that was the annual return from layoffs.

Only big returns I'd mark out for now would be...

Goldberg coming in and HHH putting him over.
Lesnar
Ultimate Warrior

I want Jericho to return but it's pretty much expected once his stint on DWTS finishes and I wouldn't care less if Batista came back.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Wed 23 Mar 2011, 9:04 pm

Goldberg return would be awesome, but I heard that he is working on a shopping channel or something at the moment?? I think that Lesnar could at the moment but really needs to get over the Velasquez loss. I could see him moving back when he is in possession of the UFC title...

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 23 Mar 2011, 9:13 pm

Reckon Dana White wouldn't be too happy on that one!

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 23 Mar 2011, 9:59 pm

Lesnar would really need to want to get back into Wrestling again for it to happen, he hated the travel and the schedule, I'd love to see him back but it would need to be an HBK type deal

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm

the gaffer

With the move towards professionalism in wrestling can you see the day when Raw and SD! are shot at a fixed location with only the PPV's moving around? It has always struck me that the kind of nomadic existence of pro wrestlers is the last link to the old age of the sport.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 23 Mar 2011, 11:03 pm

Internet has defo effected the surprise element of the comeback.... But also the thirst for ratings... A advertised return is much mote likely to gain viewers than one which isn't

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down