The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Team for Wales Match

+20
Cymroglan
BigTrevsbigmac
Totallybiasedscarlet
munkian
slartibartfast
glamorganalun
Alex_Germany
senghenydd1913
yappysnap
flyhalffactory
bathmad
HERSH
HQ matt
formerly known as Sam
Chunky Norwich
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
hugehandoff
sirtidychris
ChequeredJersey
Triangulation
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

England Team for Wales Match Empty England Team for Wales Match

Post by Triangulation Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:27 pm

I'm going to be ridiuclously optimistic on injuries, form and selection and hope against hope for this side to play Wales..

1 Corbisiero
2 Hartley
3 Cole
4 Palmer
5 Lawes
6 Robshaw (Dowson if Wood doesnt recover)
7 Wood (Robsahw if Wood doesnt recover)
8 Morgan
9 Youngs
10 Flood
11 Ashton
12 Barritt
13 Tuilagi
14 Sharples
15 Foden

Mullan/ Marler
Webber
Parling
Croft
Lee Dickson
Farrell
Strettle

I think this pack has a good number of ball carriers with sufficient mongrel and ruck clearing power.

The backline is nicely balanced with a brickwall centre pairing (who can pass and cut angles) and all players in their usual club spots.

Lethal back three.

The bench i think has real impact to come on and cope and impose ourselves on Wales even though they may have superior fitness (?) with love from Poland.

I have hedged my bets on Mullan v Marler. I would love Marler to come on and cause havoc but do we think his scrummaging is up to it vs what Wales offer? Rowntree will know one way or the other.

Strettle is benched because i think that his stepping is best used against tired legs.

Sharples is starting and will help form a back 3 that no fly half will want to kick to.

What do other people think about this?

p.s I look forward to the time if/when Attwood is deemed ready because i think a Lawes/Attwood lock partnership would be fairly tasty!

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

England Team for Wales Match Empty Re: England Team for Wales Match

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:33 pm

Good team but I'd switch around Strettle and Sharples
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:45 pm

I think this is our best side no doubt and i would love to see this team starting HOWEVER....i fear SL will not throw Lawes, wood, flood, tuilagi straight into the starting line up especially if we beat italy.

I think the team will unfortunately be the same with Lawes, wood, flood, tuilagi on the bench the place of instead of Morgan, Parling, JTH, Brown.

I think after the Italy game SL's selection decsions will make or break his england career...if Dowson has another iffy game and he sticks with him instead of Morgan then i think that may be his head...i'm all for continuity but only continually picking the best players not sticking with out of form favourites like MJ did with borthwick, Moody and wilko.

We don't need our manager to be best friends with the players we need them to be respected and make unpopular decisions when necesary for the best interests of the team....its too early to tell how lancaster rolls but after the Italy game we will find out.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm

P.S Watched the Wasps LV cup game and Joe simpson at 9 was feffing electric...an absloute beaut of a solo try that screams international quality

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm

Tad premature this article....the decent thing is to wait until the Italy match has concluded Whistle

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:59 pm

sirtidychris

I agree with you entirely.

chequered jersey

another reason for sharples to start over strettle is that he has something of a kicking game.

p.p.s i forgot to say that i like Farrell on the bench covering 10, 12 and 13 and i like him as goal kicking insurance and as a possible closer if we get out in front by more than 7 with 20 to go.

hugehandoff

Nonsense! I have never been premature in my life! Wales game is the earliest we can hope to have some of our best players available AND Lancaster has already split this 6N into two sections in terms of captaincy and selection. ...... Scotland & Italy and then the rest.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:04 pm

But it would be Sharples first cap, starting against Wales as he's not in the 22 against Italy. I'd rather introduce him as a sub
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:11 pm

Getting a bit ahead of yourself, wait and se how the team functions in this game first.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:12 pm

I would LOOOOOVE to see Sharples play against Wales.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:31 pm

have hedged my bets on Mullan v Marler. I would love Marler to come on and cause havoc but do we think his scrummaging is up to it vs what Wales offer? Rowntree will know one way or the other.

We'd be a tad stuffed if Cole went off injured. Mock Stevens ability to play loosehead if you want but he's still a better loosehead than any of our looseheads are tightheads. It's good to use the bench later in the game but it's there to cover injuries first and utilise as a tactical weapon second.

I also think you're being a tad harsh on Croft and a tad to nice to Palmer but that's just me.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
have hedged my bets on Mullan v Marler. I would love Marler to come on and cause havoc but do we think his scrummaging is up to it vs what Wales offer? Rowntree will know one way or the other.

We'd be a tad stuffed if Cole went off injured. Mock Stevens ability to play loosehead if you want but he's still a better loosehead than any of our looseheads are tightheads. It's good to use the bench later in the game but it's there to cover injuries first and utilise as a tactical weapon second.

I also think you're being a tad harsh on Croft and a tad to nice to Palmer but that's just me.

I don't think he's being harsh to Croft- if he comes on after 60 minutes when the Welsh forwards are tired he can run them off the park. Before then, he's not going to beat Warbs in the rucks (neither is Robshaw or even Wood probably I'll admit, but they are better equipped to cope) and I'd like a more physical 6 than Croft to deal with the power of Lydiate, Jones at lock and Faletau. Tipuric showed what a fresh, fast, talented back rower can do when brought on against more tired opponents last week
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:38 pm

Palmer is an excellent lock who does all the primary jobs of a second rower but who can also run and pass....something sadly lacking in a lot of our players!

Croft
He is out of form and doesnt fit. He is a luxury we cannot currently afford. He is better used against tired legs and he can cover second row at a push.

Hell maybe with some of our versatile forwards we can make room for 2 props on the bench..

I do stand corrected on the need for prop who covers both sides though otherwise.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

Fair point on Tipuric but the idea that a pacey forward like Croft is a luxuary is simply rubbish if we intend to play the way we did against Scotland. Croft's pace and height made him actually very handy at making sure some of the English punts down field were reclaimed by England or at least forced heavy tactical kicking losses on the Scots. In a game where we had little possession and relied on a kicking game he was a massive bonus because of his kick chase and lineout ability. No other English forward can touch him for speed so if we are going to continue with a heavy kicking game then he is a must have selection.

Now if we play a different kind of rugby, more akin to Saints style for instance then, yes, Croft would be a bit of a luxuary but at the moment he is doing well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

i agree with the comments with regards to simpson, he needs to be involved. he plays behind a weak pack at wasps i would love to see what he can do with a decent set of forwards ahead of him

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:50 pm

Croft needs to eat more pies!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:50 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Fair point on Tipuric but the idea that a pacey forward like Croft is a luxuary is simply rubbish if we intend to play the way we did against Scotland. Croft's pace and height made him actually very handy at making sure some of the English punts down field were reclaimed by England or at least forced heavy tactical kicking losses on the Scots. In a game where we had little possession and relied on a kicking game he was a massive bonus because of his kick chase and lineout ability. No other English forward can touch him for speed so if we are going to continue with a heavy kicking game then he is a must have selection.

Now if we play a different kind of rugby, more akin to Saints style for instance then, yes, Croft would be a bit of a luxuary but at the moment he is doing well.

I really really hope we don't kick the ball too much to a back 3 of Halfpenny, Cuthbert and North. Kicking out of hand is going to have to be well executed. Maybe Croft's chases would be useful in that case, but I'd rather not even give them the chance to catch the ball.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:53 pm

sirtidychris wrote:P.S Watched the Wasps LV cup game and Joe simpson at 9 was feffing electric...an absloute beaut of a solo try that screams international quality

He once tackled Henson, he must be brilliant.

Stuck on the bench this weekend.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:55 pm

As far as the propping thing, Stevens is a good tighthead and a poor loose head...after his world cup performance at LH i'm surprised he is still there because it looks like SL will take corbs off at 60 minutes and not Dan cole.
If England want a utility prop then perhaps Paul Doran Jones is the better bet in the scrums as he's got a bit more size to him and can hold his own on either side.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:32 pm

Original selection would be a bit harsh on Hodgson - starting 10 to not even in the squad??

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

Triangulation wrote:sirtidychris

I agree with you entirely.

chequered jersey

another reason for sharples to start over strettle is that he has something of a kicking game.

p.p.s i forgot to say that i like Farrell on the bench covering 10, 12 and 13 and i like him as goal kicking insurance and as a possible closer if we get out in front by more than 7 with 20 to go.

hugehandoff

Nonsense! I have never been premature in my life! Wales game is the earliest we can hope to have some of our best players available AND Lancaster has already split this 6N into two sections in terms of captaincy and selection. ...... Scotland & Italy and then the rest.

Triangulation

Can you give me the friday Euro and saturday main lottery numbers

How can you know if you guys will pick up any injuries during your NEXT match

ps well you have been premature this time laddy kiss

Now what about the Italy match ............. whats your forecast?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

a bit harsh on hodgson bathmad?

you've all gone soft in the head.

Were not selecting to be nice here lads. C'mon!

I have always been a supporter of CH and i felt that he was ridiculously cast aside post nz.

Alas he no longer offers the running threat that he once did. Additionally he no longer is relied upon for goalkicking.

Flood does. Flood is ahead of him.
Farrell is emerging as an excellent goal kicking YOUNG fly half.

CH - so long and thanks for all the fish.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:35 pm

Simpson seems too hit and miss, needs to work on his defence and kicking. And pull his socks up (literally).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by senghenydd1913 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:43 pm

a tad premature this thread-you saes have'nt played at the Std Olimpico yet.Best wait and see I would suggest.
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

Strettle has unfinished business with Wales. Last time he played he tore them apart in the first virtually single handedly. Different players - but he'll be up for it.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by senghenydd1913 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:57 pm

ahhh-will be very interesting to see Mr Strettle if he comes up against a certain G.North-his "unfinished business" could well remain that.
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:00 pm

Not playing Wales for a couple of weeks yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by senghenydd1913 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:12 pm

noswaith dda View !!
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:29 pm

How do senghenydd

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:41 pm

What team will face Wales if Italy win, the team above will look like a desperation move and unlikely to happen! Flood was sent back to his club this weekend, I must admit I would have Flood ahead to Hodgson!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:48 pm

glamorganalun wrote:What team will face Wales if Italy win, the team above will look like a desperation move and unlikely to happen! Flood was sent back to his club this weekend, I must admit I would have Flood ahead to Hodgson!

Flood- that's what I said.

It was suggested by an English chum of mine that not all is well at Leicester - any rumours out there?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:58 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

I don't think he's being harsh to Croft- if he comes on after 60 minutes when the Welsh forwards are tired he can run them off the park. Before then, he's not going to beat Warbs in the rucks (neither is Robshaw or even Wood probably I'll admit, but they are better equipped to cope) and I'd like a more physical 6 than Croft to deal with the power of Lydiate, Jones at lock and Faletau. Tipuric showed what a fresh, fast, talented back rower can do when brought on against more tired opponents last week

But the Welsh forwards are probably nearly just as fit as the English backs, they will last a lot longer than 60 mins.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:41 pm

munkian wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

But the Welsh forwards are probably nearly just as fit as the English backs, they will last a lot longer than 60 mins.

"Nearly"? If not fitter! Time will tell. Much water to pass under the bridge before us Britons take on you Saxons!

Can't wait Very Happy
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:44 pm

Welsh forewards are never tired.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:56 pm

Get your excuses in early English fans, a bad loss is on the cards in Italy tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:05 pm

Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:
munkian wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

"Nearly"? If not fitter! Time will tell. Much water to pass under the bridge before us Britons take on you Saxons!

Can't wait Very Happy

I'm Welsh you Turk git nope
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:17 pm

Very Happy

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:20 pm

munkian wrote:
munkian wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Can't wait Very Happy

And the Cymru (Welsh) are the descendants of the Prydeinwyr (Britons). Would you like a history lesson?
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:22 pm

Fight fight fight

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:25 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Fight fight fight

Keep it for Twickenham Wink

I mean I like George North, but Chris Ashton has his moments too. Which is better? There's only one way to find out .... boxing
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:28 pm

I mean I like George North, but Chris Ashton has his moments too. Which is better? There's only one way to find out .... boxing

But surely that would be a fight between 2 Saxons Doh

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:34 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

But surely that would be a fight between 2 Saxons Doh

Really, a Cymro Cymraeg (welsh speaker) from Ynys Mon (Anglesey)? Doh You boys are just jealous Hug
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:38 pm

Everybody is jealous of me Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:40 pm

munkian wrote:
munkian wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Can't wait Very Happy

And the Cymru (Welsh) are the descendants of the Prydeinwyr (Britons). Would you like a history lesson?

Before you wiki me to death, I meant you quoted me and called me English
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm

munkian wrote:
munkian wrote:
munkian wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Can't wait Very Happy

Before you wiki me to death, I meant you quoted me and called me English

I understand why you got upset. There's no need for anyone to be called english Sorry
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:43 pm

Diolch !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 11 Feb 2012, 1:46 am

Aren't forwards fitter than back anyway? That's certainly been my experience. Rucking is a lot more tiring than standing there

munkian wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

[i]
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 11 Feb 2012, 9:09 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Aren't forwards fitter than back anyway? That's certainly been my experience. Rucking is a lot more tiring than standing there

munkian wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

[i]

Definitely not in my team!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:06 am

probably nearly just as

Curiosity: Is there one word for this in Welsh?

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:13 am

Triangulation wrote:I'm going to be ridiuclously optimistic on injuries, form and selection and hope against hope for this side to play Wales..

1 Corbisiero
2 Hartley
3 Cole
4 Palmer
5 Lawes
6 Robshaw (Dowson if Wood doesnt recover)
7 Wood (Robsahw if Wood doesnt recover)
8 Morgan
9 Youngs
10 Flood
11 Ashton
12 Barritt
13 Tuilagi
14 Sharples
15 Foden

Mullan/ Marler
Webber
Parling
Croft
Lee Dickson
Farrell
Strettle

I think this pack has a good number of ball carriers with sufficient mongrel and ruck clearing power.

The backline is nicely balanced with a brickwall centre pairing (who can pass and cut angles) and all players in their usual club spots.

Lethal back three.

The bench i think has real impact to come on and cope and impose ourselves on Wales even though they may have superior fitness (?) with love from Poland.

I have hedged my bets on Mullan v Marler. I would love Marler to come on and cause havoc but do we think his scrummaging is up to it vs what Wales offer? Rowntree will know one way or the other.

Strettle is benched because i think that his stepping is best used against tired legs.

Sharples is starting and will help form a back 3 that no fly half will want to kick to.

What do other people think about this?

p.s I look forward to the time if/when Attwood is deemed ready because i think a Lawes/Attwood lock partnership would be fairly tasty!

Your team looks similar to the England last time they played Wales.

15 Ben Foden

14 Matthew Banahan

13 Mike Tindall

12 Shontayne Hape

11 Mark Cueto

10 Toby Flood

9 Richard Wigglesworth

1 Alex Corbisiero

2 Steve Thompson

3 Dan Cole

4 Louis Deacon

5 Courtney Lawes

6 Tom Wood

7 Hendre Fourie

8 Nick Easter

Replacements

16 Lee Mears

17 Matt Stevens

18 Tom Palmer

19 James Haskell

20 Daniel Care

21 Charlie Hodgson

22 Delon Armitage
http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/aug/13/wales-england-world-cup-warm-up?cat=sport&type=article

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:32 am

When was the last time you saw a creative English team? Sharples, May, Hopper et al will never be selected.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next