The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would happen IF England lost to Italy?

+44
ME-109
Taylorman
iso
Taffineastbourne
bsando
Alex_Germany
Biltong
Breadvan
maestegmafia
doctor_grey
Morgannwg
gregortree
robbo277
Shifty
senghenydd1913
gnollbeast
HammerofThunor
21st Century Schizoid Man
slartibartfast
overlordofthewest
ISLANDER
majesticimperialman
Bathman_in_London
ChequeredJersey
mystiroakey
damage_13
eirebilly
thomh
Luckless Pedestrian
miteyironpaw
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
TrailApe
munkian
dummy_half
damngoodOvalball
Geordie
Knowsit17
BridgendBoyo
lostinwales
SecretFly
RubyGuby
TycroesOsprey
beshocked
HERSH
48 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What would happen IF England lost to Italy? Empty What would happen IF England lost to Italy?

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

What would happen IF England lost to Italy?

IMO it wouldn’t be the worst result in the rugby world, and here’s why.

Italy are now a very well organised team not like they used to be in their 1st few seasons in the 6 nations when they beat Scotland and Wales.

Italy in Rome is a very different animal compared to when they play away, the Italians are a very proud and passionate nation and this shows when they step onto a rugby pitch, what they lack in ability they make up for in determination.

The Italians use a different ball compared to the other home nations (Mitre) as the RWC showed some players are very particular about their balls, and with good reason.

Most of them play their rugby in France which as we all know is a tough league when compared to the likes of the Rabo.

I’m not making ready made excuses for England if we were to lose to the Italians, but we should be aware that the new/inexperianced England squad face a very tough task to put the Italians away in Rome, so don’t be surprised if we lose to them for the 1st time in our proud and distinguished history.

I hope whatever happens that we stick by this team as once a few key players are back I think we have a very solid base for the next few years.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

What would happen IF England lost to Italy? Empty Re: What would happen IF England lost to Italy?

Post by beshocked Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:22 pm

Don't be so defeatist Hersh. It won't be easy but England should prevail in a hard fought contest.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

What would happen IF England lost to Italy? Empty Re: What would happen IF England lost to Italy?

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:29 pm

The pubs in cardiff would run dry and the sound of laughter would be heard in the valleys. There will be ritual self immolation practiced in Twickenham and Nick Mallett will get a couple of frenzied telephone calls. censored

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:33 pm

Well they beat France who are a far better side so this is not unreasonable - it should be a very tough encounter and if Italy get in front early it will be difficult as it has been on the last couple of ococasions in Italy for England. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

HERSH wrote:
Most of them play their rugby in France which as we all know is a tough league when compared to the likes of the Rabo.

Top14 first and then Rabo...Yeah, that's about right.

Although this year is proving Rabo and that might even play a part in Italian bouyancy...................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

"The pubs in cardiff would run dry and the sound of laughter would be heard in the valleys."

Fair enough we all laughed at Wales, Twice!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:38 pm

Make that three times, I forgot about the draw Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:40 pm

So, for this weekend the Welsh will become Italian.

Italians are generally slim, well-dressed, cultured and interested in the finer things in life.

So, I guess we'll see Welsh fans running about the streets with spaghetti on their heads again.

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:44 pm

Maybe they'll pick Castro at scrum half this weekend
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

Well it will happen one day - I believe we are the only ones the Italians have never beaten.

As always it would be great to see Italy win - and indeed win the 6N just .. you know ... not this year...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

Had to laugh at what my mate said after he went to watch Wales vs Itlay game in Rome.

'All the Italians were gorgeous, even the men. All in their designer gear, shades on, with their expensive styled hair....then I turned to the Welsh fans...all were drunk, guts hanging out, cowboy hats, or the more embarrasing daffodil hat, covered in tatoo's....and that was just the women'

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:48 pm

BridgendBoyo wrote:Had to laugh at what my mate said after he went to watch Wales vs Itlay game in Rome.

'All the Italians were gorgeous, even the men. All in their designer gear, shades on, with their expensive styled hair....then I turned to the Welsh fans...all were drunk, guts hanging out, cowboy hats, or the more embarrasing daffodil hat, covered in tatoo's....and that was just the women'
Laugh Yep, two ends of the spectrum.

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:49 pm

Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:49 pm

I have to admit its a bit like that when I go to Twickers seeing as i'm from the West Country.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:50 pm

Italians are generally slim, well-dressed, cultured and interested in the finer things in life.

Still can't hold back from the generalisations I see Wink

Does Castrogiovanni look like he ticks any of those boxes? I'm sure he'd be insulted by your assumption!

Gotta happen sometime, England's perfect record vs Italy will cave eventually. One day the Italians will be able to boast having beaten every other 6N side at least once.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:51 pm

Is it a total tragedy to lose to Italy these days?

Who havent Italy beaten since being promoted to the 6n. Have they beaten Ireland?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:52 pm

Knowsit, I did say "generally" (not "all") in my statement Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:52 pm

It wouldnt be that big a deal - all the other 6N teams have lost to Italy (Wales and Scotland quite a few times).
We have had a very narrow escape in Rome recently. I am fairly confident of beating Italy and Wales with the current side. Ireland and france are a different matter though, and it shouldnt reflect badly on a new side losing to those teams.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:57 pm

Ireland Italy - they have played 20 times 17-3 to Ireland

Last time Italy won was '97 tho

Last edited by lostinwales on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:05 pm

With the team that we have available at the moment, I'm certainly not expecting this to be an easy game - Italy showed some reasonable quality in the match against France, went through the phases well and made ground and opportunities. They were beaten because France were able to cut through them with some quality incisive attacking play, rather than grinding them down. England will have to up their game significantly if we are to do the same, otherwise I can see us being the ones trying to drag it into a conservative and dour style in the hope of kicking our way to a narrow win.

It wouldn't be a good result, and obviously would scotch any hope Lancaster may have of being given the coaching job full time, but in the grand scheme of things wouldn't be a complete disaster.

Of course, as others have pointed out, it would be cause for celebration in Wales and to a lesser extent Scotland and Ireland - we have laughed at their misfortune in the past, and so will have to put up with a bit of payback if things go against us.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

Much rejoicing ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:10 pm

If we beat Italy this year, I don't think it will be pretty.

I expect a lot of defending and the odd try through counter attacks and a few points from the boot.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:11 pm

A lot of welshmen would win a lot of money from teh bookies and do very well in the predict a score competition.

People would finaly accept that Lancaster needs to do more than book a couple of after dinner speakers to prove hes in any way competant for this post.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:15 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:A lot of welshmen would win a lot of money from teh bookies
I get the feeling that what some Welsh posters 'predict' on here and what they actually bet on down the bookies are two different things. Money are mouth are not in the same vicinity I'd wager.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:15 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:A lot of welshmen would win a lot of money from teh bookies and do very well in the predict a score competition.

People would finaly accept that Lancaster needs to do more than book a couple of after dinner speakers to prove hes in any way competant for this post.

Interesting comment..... Headscratch

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:20 pm

Compared to the last guy he is over qualified.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

Look, make no mistake, losing to Italy would be a disaster for England.

Italy are ranked 12th. We are technically fifth, but as I've said before, on form we should be 3rd at least, if it weren't for the silly rule of doubling RWC points we would be there.

Italy shouldn't concern us, they are a limited side who also have new managers. We should, and will I believe put up a cricket score against them again.

Forget about losing, not winning in style would be a disaster for Lancaster.

miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:38 pm

I have a feeling that unless Lancaster wins two of the next four games (and win them well plus come close in the other two) he'll be gone anyway.

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:40 pm

HERSH wrote:Compared to the last guy he is over qualified.

Right and from day one Johnson was expected to not only win a world cup, but do it with stylish flowing rugby to be considered competant. He even had Andrew undermining him before hed taken charge of his first side, and copped the balme for things that went on on a tour he didnt lead.
With Lancaster all Im saying is can we keep an open mind. Theres people proclaiming him as a rugby genius after a couple of media pleasing acts. So far we have one of the worst performances from an England side leading to a lucky win over poor opposition. Losing to Italy, well I think we get the right to question if he has really done anything to prove his comeptancy?
The guy is a gym teacher who played his rugby in scotland, and on evidence of the last decade that should be a warning sign. A couple of years with the Saxons, saying exactly what the RFU want him to, then hireing a Welshman whos team includes a convicted drink driver and just got spanked off the park to tell the team how to be a professional ( at the same time Lancasters getting rid of his scrum half for drink driveing...) is not proof he is competant.
Im not saying he isnt, just taht Im that negative I want to hate him before he has a chance to prove he is.

If he can get one player to make a line break or at least run past a defender against Italy I may start to feel he has some credit in his account.

Losing to Italy is no way acceptable. Hes picked a pragmatic team to go for wins over style, thats fine in my book but dont come back with all this building for the future tosh if thats what you are doing ( Dowson? Hodgson?)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:47 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Italy are ranked 12th. We are technically fifth, but as I've said before, on form we should be 3rd at least, if it weren't for the silly rule of doubling RWC points we would be there.

Eh?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:47 pm

Italy are ranked 12th. We are technically fifth, but as I've said before, on form we should be 3rd at least, if it weren't for the silly rule of doubling RWC points we would be there.

Interesting. You reckon yourself up there above France and SA, two sides who imo have achieved more throughout the past year in terms of opposition defeated. How would you justify this?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:49 pm

Winning the 6 nations!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:51 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:A lot of welshmen would win a lot of money from teh bookies and do very well in the predict a score competition.

Your post is a little bit undermined by not spelling competent correctly.

MJ failed to win in Murrayfield. SL did it in his first game in charge.

MJ has shown to be foolish. This 1st match has shown that Barritt should have gone to the rugby world cup. MJ chose too many players past their prime.

The Italians should put up a fight but you would expect England to win.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:

Interesting. You reckon yourself up there above France and SA, two sides who imo have achieved more throughout the past year in terms of opposition defeated. How would you justify this?

No, I'd rate us just behind South Africa. Ahead of Australia who we've shown repeatedly in recent times that we have the wood over them. France we've only lost one competitive game recently which happened to be in the world cup because MJ played Flood and Wilkinson together, otherwise we would have won. As I've said the points during RWC play are unfairly skewed and that has knocked us down the table. I don't think anyone can seriously argue against the fact that England are knocking on the door of South Africa for second spot globally.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

You're good. clap clap clap
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:56 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:

No, I'd rate us just behind South Africa. Ahead of Australia who we've shown repeatedly in recent times that we have the wood over them. France we've only lost one competitive game recently which happened to be in the world cup because MJ played Flood and Wilkinson together, otherwise we would have won. As I've said the points during RWC play are unfairly skewed and that has knocked us down the table. I don't think anyone can seriously argue against the fact that England are knocking on the door of South Africa for second spot globally.

I'm impressed that you can say all that with a straight face. Poker face indeed. Good work.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:57 pm

SecretFly wrote:
miteyironpaw wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:

I'm impressed that you can say all that with a straight face. Poker face indeed. Good work.
Does 606v2 have video-chat now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:58 pm

Australia in the last year have beaten both SA (three times) and NZ (twice) though, along with Wales twice in quick succession, nothing shabby there.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:04 pm

England are knocking on the door of South Africa thumbsup

That might be true but no ones answering Yahoo

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:09 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Australia in the last year have beaten both SA (three times) and NZ (twice) though, along with Wales twice in quick succession, nothing shabby there.

But not England. Check the records. We own Australia at the moment.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:10 pm

Absolutely no one thought that was all he needed to do, they just disagreed with the way you seemed to dismiss the idea that they could be of any value at all.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:10 pm

Back on topic Wink. This is possibly Italy's best chance ever to beat England and they will feel that they have a chance. No shame if England do lose against Italy in Italy as its a very tough place to go (although it will be the first game in their new stadium so i am not sure what the atmosphere will be like).

Italy did beat France last year in a thrilling match and Ireland were more than a little lucky to come away with a win.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:16 pm

Wasn't aware England had even played Australia within the last year, let alone beat them. Wasn't 2010 the last time they faced each other?

Beating them in the last two games is hardly "owning" them now is it? In an era where three out of six of the NH's top sides have never beaten the All Blacks? Standards must have gone down if so.

The Aussies have beaten higher-ranked sides more consistently than England, therefore they're ranked higher themselves. Can't see what's wrong with that Headscratch

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:28 pm

Saw the title of the thread, and thought 'you've done it now Hersh!'

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:36 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Wasn't aware England had even played Australia within the last year, let alone beat them. Wasn't 2010 the last time they faced each other?

Beating them in the last two games is hardly "owning" them now is it? In an era where three out of six of the NH's top sides have never beaten the All Blacks? Standards must have gone down if so.

The Aussies have beaten higher-ranked sides more consistently than England, therefore they're ranked higher themselves. Can't see what's wrong with that Headscratch

We can only beat them when we face them. After we whipped them home and away, I'm not surprised they've been shy of facing up to us again. Home and Away....
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

"What would happen IF England lost to Italy?"

the owners of the site will have to order up some more bandwith!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

Whistle
RubyGuby wrote:England are knocking on the door of South Africa thumbsup

They're only knocking to ask for more players...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 08 Feb 2012, 5:00 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote: Whistle
RubyGuby wrote:England are knocking on the door of South Africa thumbsup

They're only knocking to ask for more players...

laughing Whistle Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 08 Feb 2012, 5:05 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
BridgendBoyo wrote:Had to laugh at what my mate said after he went to watch Wales vs Itlay game in Rome.

What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 810156456 Yep, two ends of the spectrum.

What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 3497602689 What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 3497602689 What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 3497602689 What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 3497602689 What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 3497602689 What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 3497602689 What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 3497602689 What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 3497602689 What would happen IF England lost to Italy? 3497602689

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 08 Feb 2012, 5:11 pm

We'd man up and prepare for Wales, France and Ireland and hopefully take them unaware with our returning players and a massive kick up the rear
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next