The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Terry Stripped of Captaincy

+12
hodge
Mad for Chelsea
Crimey
dondelero
dummy_half
sparky marky
Steffan
Matthius Maximus
Beer
liverbnz
Duty281
erictheblueuk
16 posters

Go down

John Terry Stripped of Captaincy Empty John Terry Stripped of Captaincy

Post by erictheblueuk Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Personally looking at Enland's last two matches I don't think we need him and Rio anymore. I think capello should drop them both and let them concentrate on their club careers, when international time comes around they can rest and prepare for the next league games.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by erictheblueuk on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Dyslexic keyboard)
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

John Terry Stripped of Captaincy Empty Re: John Terry Stripped of Captaincy

Post by Duty281 Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:26 pm

I know everything about innocent until proven guilty but look at the evidence. Drop JT for ever, sack the man.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Correct decision IMO and one which Terry would have to understand. If I were an England supporter I wouldn't want him leading my team, but at the same time wouldn't have any issues with him being in the team if he was the best available. If's he's found to be innocent, then the next manager could reinstate him (again) if that's what he wants to do.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:32 pm

I think it's the right decision, but will be seriously annoyed if they give it to Rio or Gerrard.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthius Maximus Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Right decision.

The man is a joke and severly looked-down upon by all (with exception of the Chelsea faithfull...). Hasn't helped him self by any means in the last few years and looks where it's got him. How on earth did he get the captaincy back after his last escapde anyhow?!

He needs to be rid of completely now and let the young, much more talented and up-coming stars take their place. Don't let him back.

I'd love to see the likes of Jones, Hart or even Wilshire take the captaincy from here-on-out. Maybe even Parker? Decent and hard-working players who actually present themselves as role models. Do not give it to Gerrard, or Rio (if he's even able to last a full game or two).

Matthius Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Parker is a great shout, never thought of him.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:51 pm

They need to be thinking long term, in which case Parker is an awful shout.

Joe Hart for me. There are enough leaders on that pitch without tarnishing the armband further,

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:54 pm

King Beer wrote:They need to be thinking long term, in which case Parker is an awful shout.

Joe Hart for me. There are enough leaders on that pitch without tarnishing the armband further,

Capello won't be thinking long-term though will he? And ultimately it's his decision. England goalkeepers have been under enough pressure these last few years without adding more to one that looks like he might be the answer.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:56 pm

He needs to be!

Shilton never suffered as Captain.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Also Hart may be the only player certian of selection.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 pm

This is fantastic news

Good enough for him

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by sparky marky Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Duty281 wrote:I know everything about innocent until proven guilty but look at the evidence. Drop JT for ever, sack the man.

Couldn't agree more. Terry is a revolting individual. Never too far from scandal, and always quick to protest his innocence. There isn't that much smoke without at least one fire!
The England captains armband is one of the greatest jobs in football. Great names such as Bobby Moore, Bryan Robson, Peter Shilton were total professionals, and treated their position with pride. Terry is a thug and after watching numerous replays of the 'incident' with Ferdinand, there is no doubt in my mind what he said. Obviously his lawyer has managed to twist the comment to suit Terry, but anyone with half a brain will know it's a load of BS.
Why would Ferdinand make such a fuss if it wasn't true?
Anyway, glad he's been stripped of the armband, hopefully Capello will drop him for good.....

sparky marky

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Sparky
Good point about the quality and integrity of some of our past captains - I'd even include Beckham in that list, as he undoubtedly was a true professional and treated the captaincy with pride.

John Terry on the other hand has been stripped of the captaincy once because he had it away with one of his team mates girlfriends, and now is accused of racially abusing another professional. Even if (yeah, right) he didn't racially abuse Anton Ferdinand, he has certainly plenty of form for verbally abusing and intimidating both opponents and referees. Hardly the ideal role model for the kids wanting to see what being a good footballer is all about.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by sparky marky Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Cheers Dummy (doesn't feel right saying that)

I'd forgotten Beckham. You couldn't have asked anymore from him as a captain. I don't think i've ever heard of Beckham being photographed falling out of a nightclub at 4am. Or beating up his girlfriend/wife. Or having a gambling/drinking/drug addiction. He loves his football and he loves his family. A real credit to English Football. I think there was one incident involving a certain Rebecca Loos, but even now, i think that was a load of BS.

John Terry has tarnished the armband, and should never get to wear it again

sparky marky

Back to top Go down

Post by dondelero Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Well he really shouldn't have had it restored to him in the first place really. But what if it is proved that he is NOT guilty at the end of it all. Will he be restored again? If Rio is playing in the team, it has to be him as Captain as he shouldn't have lost it in the first place.

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by sparky marky Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Do you really believe he will be found innocent Donde?
But in answer to your question, he shouldn't be restored to captain if found not guilty. He tarnished his image long before now, and this is the final straw.

sparky marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:16 pm

One name I've seen thrown around is Wayne Rooney. There have been rumours for years that he will eventually be named captain, and it is valid that he will most likely be apart of the England squad for the next five years, and is passionate.

I don't think he'd be a good way to go, but can see why a manager would pick him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:24 pm

How about Parker for now then Jack Wilshire when he returms.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Disapointed in the decision TBH, particularly by the fact Capello wasn't even consulted on it. Stinks of political meddling to me. On top of this, why wait until NOW before stripping him? Of course the last time Terry was stripped of the England captaincy (for allegedly sleeping with a team-mate's EX-girlfriend) the up-coming tournament went just brilliantly for England didn't it?

Oh wait...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Surely Capello and the team should have been consulted, if they as a team and Capello as the manager still wanted him as captain then he should have remained

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:36 pm

100% agree with Hodge, I think if I were coaching a side and I were told such a player couldn't be captain I'd contemplate resigning TBH. I'd actually have found it OK had the FA said England couldn't pick Terry until the investigation were completed (this is similar to someone being suspended from their job pending investigation), but this is half-way house. Saying "you can pick him, but he can't be captain" is utter balderdash and smacks of political @rse-covering to me.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Fancy someone with the name Mad-for-Chelsea disagreeing with it!!

Sorry you should be proud of your Country and who represents it!!!

This guy is a piece of trash...well proven and case closed!!!

Forget team-allegiance.........

As for the Coach he should be fired for having him back..in the first place..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:03 pm

What i don't get is that apparently he can't captain england because of the charge yet he can still play for england?

if your removing someone who's going to cause an issue in the camp then you do it fully, you either keep john as captain and get on with it or you remove him from the situation entirely.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:13 pm

TRUSS

the thing I disagree most with is how it's been handled
- no consulting of coach or team-mates
- the delay
- the half-measure (what Nando said)

As I said, this stinks of political butt-covering by the FA. They don't want to (dare to?) go the whole way and remove him from the team entirely, as if they were to do so and England were to crash out dismally the finger of blame could be pointed at them.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Joe Hart is the outstanding candidate for England captain.

I think Capello should serious think about getting rid of the 'old guard' to before the summer.

John Terry is too slow for international football. He got exposed in 2006 against Jamaica, Ecuador and Paraguay with balls over the top as well as against Germany in the last World Cup. Matthew Upson didn't play for England again so I don't see why Terry should.

Rio Ferdiand hasn't been the player of old this season and has not guaranteed fitness.

Steven Gerrard was lorded by the media as England's best player in the last World Cup but I don't know what games they were watching. To me he couldn't hold his position and gave the ball away far too much (backed up by his 63% pass completion rate, the worst of the England team and way behind the Spanish players 80%+ rates). No wonder England can't keep the ball. I just wonder how so-called journalists don't spot things like this.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:04 pm

sportsville wrote:Joe Hart is the outstanding candidate for England captain.

How and why is he such?

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:25 pm

Mad For Chelsea:
Surely the butt-covering, or at least arse dragging, has been by the courts.
Get him in Court, try him, and make the decision on the facts and not the speculation.
If he's proven to have said what everyone thinks he said, Capello should disqualify him from consideration. Under the current situation, I agree he shouldn't be selected, but his legal team should try and accelerate their day in court.
New Captain? Pick the squad first and then choose a skipper. No reason to believe Wilshire, for one, will have proven his fitness and Gerrard doesn't seem properly fit for two games a week.
Joe Hart might be a good call; one of very few sure of his place and seemingly respected by all.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 am

kwini

but you can't just rush a court case, that's the problem. As soon as it was decided this would be a matter for the courts of law (and not just a footballing investigation, as the Suarez case) it was always going to drag.

As for replacement captain, given how few nailed on starters they are, you're probably down to a choice of Rooney or Hart. Now surely Rooney would be a dreadful choice (though at least the media would love it) for a host of reasons, Hart seems the only logical choice to me...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:50 am

MfC,
It had looked from 3,000 miles away that the Court date had been delayed until after the Euros.
Can't be Rooney, he won't be playing all the games.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 pm

just in, apparently Capello disagrees with the decision to strip Terry of the armband.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16899940

shouldn't the team manager be allowed to have a say in this type of matter? Is it right to tell him "you can pick Terry, but you can't make him captain"? Surely not... Capello's authority is undermined by the whole episode, the FA have messed up again IMO.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 am

Capello's authority has been undermined a long time ago.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down