The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is English Rugby still the centre of attention?

+12
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Knowsit17
Submachine
Breadvan
Pot Hale
Chjw131
rodders
eirebilly
red_stag
RuggerRadge2611
kiakahaaotearoa
HERSH
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why is English Rugby still the centre of attention? Empty Why is English Rugby still the centre of attention?

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:14

Here we go again!

England aren't favourites for this years six nations, nor are we 2nd or even 3rd, so why all the column inches across the British press, why all the comments/articles on sites such as this?

Why do people from all the other home nations love talking about English Rugby so much?

I’m baffled as to why, surely the Ire v Wal game should be the main talking point?

Huge game for both nations, Can Ireland gain revenge for their world cup exit, can Wales maintain their form or was it just a fluke?

Discuss.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Why is English Rugby still the centre of attention? Empty Re: Why is English Rugby still the centre of attention?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:18

You´re right HERSH, the Ireland Wales thread is the talking point of the opening weekend. Have you seen the thread on that match?

Other than you, who is talking up the Calcutta match, the visual equivalent of fingernails being scraped downwards on a blackboard?

Discuss.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Why is English Rugby still the centre of attention? Empty Re: Why is English Rugby still the centre of attention?

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:20

You don't think the oldest international in Rugby is worth talking about HERSH?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:23

Really!

Kia I agree without the silky skills of Paterson and Wilko the game will be 2nd rate. Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:24

I'd imagine the fact England are reigning champions
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:24

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:You don't think the oldest international in Rugby is worth talking about HERSH?
Is Simon Shaw making a comeback?

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:27

Well i think that England is the team we all want to beat so its only natural that there is talk about them. That and they are the reigning champions i guess.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:28

I'm expecting serious fireworks in the Calcutta cup game...I mean if Gary Neville can't motivate england who can.... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:30

eirebilly wrote:Well i think that England is the team we all want to beat so its only natural that there is talk about them.

But why?

Surely France are the team to beat and no one is talknig about them.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:31

Neville is only there to be used as a punch bag.

Who wouldn't want to hit him.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:33

roddersm wrote:I'm expecting serious fireworks in the Calcutta cup game...
When it's at Murrayfield there are always fireworks (and bagpipers, Braveheart re-enactments and close-ups of woad-smeared lunatics)

Then the game starts and it goes a bit downhill...

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:36

I think they are talking about France but they're talking in French which is why you may not be aware of them.

Of course if you´re reigning holders, then people focus on you. But to me the talking point of England is their injury rate and their new caretaker coach and their headhunting for a real one. Not so much about how they will play their game but how they will manage to win their games.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:37

FFS I forgot about all the pre match build up, nearly as bad as that Irish women walking on the red carpet.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:37

HERSH wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Well i think that England is the team we all want to beat so its only natural that there is talk about them.

But why?

Surely France are the team to beat and no one is talknig about them.

There is the 'team to beat' and the 'team we all want to beat'. England falls under the second category. Being that they are the reigning champions, they will attract alot of attention. Nothing wrong with that.

For the record, i dont think that England will be as bad as many an English fan and many an opposing teams fan are expecting.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:38

HERSH wrote:FFS I forgot about all the pre match build up, nearly as bad as that Irish women walking on the red carpet.

Sorry, what?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:40

I don't think i've seen a decent Calcutta Cup match for eons. Perhaps 1990 was the last?

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:43

HERSH wrote:
England aren't favourites for this years six nations, nor are we 2nd or even 3rd, so why all the column inches across the British press, why all the comments/articles on sites such as this?

Betting:

P Power: 1 France, 2 Wales, 3 England
Sky: 1 France 2. Wales 3 England
Ladbrokes: France 2. England/Wales
William Hill: 1. France 2. England/Wales

Triple Crown

Bet365 and Stan James

1. England, 2. Ireland or Wales

Lady protesting a tad.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:44

eirebilly wrote:
HERSH wrote:FFS I forgot about all the pre match build up, nearly as bad as that Irish women walking on the red carpet.

Sorry, what?

Poor grammar.

He should have said "those" Irish women walking on the red carpet.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:45

er....you mean the President? warning
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:46

eirebilly wrote:

Sorry, what?

That Irish women. Leprechaun randy Ok!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:48

HERSH wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

Sorry, what?

Oh yeah, thats much better. Doh laughing
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:49

In fact come to think of it, my top three 'Worst Games of Rugby I've Ever Seen' (in recent times) would be:

1. Scotland v England (6N - 2008)

2. Scotland v Wales (6N - 2011)

3. Scotland v England (6N 2010)

All at Murrayfield funnily enough!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:49

HERSH wrote:Neville is only there to be used as a punch bag.

Who wouldn't want to hit him.

Apparantly he's there to chat about wearing the 3 Lions and a the spirit if Euro '96......hopefully that will prepare England for finishing 3rd or 4th ...... Whistle ....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:04

With England it's about so much more than the rugby. You have the celebrity girlfirends, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, dwarf launching, multiculturalism, tattoo bearing, royal wife cheating, boat diving, maid harassing, ball swapping, gum shield advertising and other high Tom foolery thrown in for free. And that’s just the backline. It’s like Footballers wives, Shameless and Downton Abbey all rolled into one. The RFU really should get a percentage of the TV licence fee.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:08

It's not our fault that the rest of you are a little bit behind the times!

Your day will come.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:11

Hersh, that Irish woman is gone. After 14 years as President she has been replaced. But by an old hobbit who looks like Bilbo Baggins.

Re England: I like a strong English team. Other teams get fired up when playing a tough English side and it adds to tournament.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:14

Really, why didn't that important event make the news in the UK?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:17

BBC NI covered it extensively.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:17

I see what you mean Red, Hobbit indeed.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:20

Hersh, he is officially a quarter of a foot SHORTER than PETER STRINGER!!!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:20

What does "That Irish women" signify that everybody seems to know about? I'm not sure if I'm missing something here but to me it just looks like an obscure point spelt badly... Erm

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:24

Knowsit17 wrote:What does "That Irish women" signify that everybody seems to know about? I'm not sure if I'm missing something here but to me it just looks like an obscure point spelt badly... Erm

Oh its to do with the Irish T shirt or whetever they call the President and Martin Johnson making her walk on the grass, it confussed me as Hersh randomly posted in another topic

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:26

Trolls and hobbits!

Whats next?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:27

HERSH wrote:Trolls and hobbits!

Whats next?

Peter Stringer as Gollum?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:32

Sebastien Chabal as Gandalf.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:33

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
HERSH wrote:Trolls and hobbits!

Whats next?

Peter Stringer as Gollum?

I think that role has been taken by Matt Dawson on A Question of Sport

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:33

Aren't Ireland only 4th in the betting?

So - if England aren't 1st, 2nd or 3rd???? Where are they? England positively refuse to kit out if they're less than 4th placed in the betting so it might be a no-show from them this year?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:34

England are 3rd behind France and Wales.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:39

There you go. And That is why English rugby is still the centre of attention - even when it jumps off a bridge after shooting itself in the head and taking an overdose ...it Still lives to fight another day.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:46

eirebilly wrote:
HERSH wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

Sorry, what?

Oh yeah, thats much better. Doh laughing

My god gents its that irish WOMAN!!! If people are going to be petty about grammar at least get your corrections right!

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:54

You'll all be happy that the Irish WOMAN has heard about fondness for all things fantastical amongst rugby players and supporters, and so has turned herself into a dwarf.... a male dwarf... with long grey hair.

Enjoy the red carpet build up.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:56

She did a fine job. Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 15:57

HERSH wrote:Really, why didn't that important event make the news in the UK?

I would have thought the election of Ireland's first ever Leprechaun President would have made world news.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 16:00

Knowsit17 wrote:Sebastien Chabal as Gandalf.

Surely Treebeard?

Lewis Moody as the camp elf who gets it in the second film

Brian Ashton would be my choice as Gandalf

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 16:00

Feckless Rogue wrote:
HERSH wrote:Really, why didn't that important event make the news in the UK?

I would have thought the election of Ireland's first ever Leprechaun President would have made world news.

The British media is dominated by Gavin Henson news

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 16:08

HERSH wrote:It's not our fault that the rest of you are a little bit behind the times!

Your day will come.

Oh if only you understood the irony of throwing that phrase at Irish and welsh fans.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 16:10

err?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 16:15

I will let an Irishman explain it to you HERSH if one feels so inclined.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 16:15

Massive Amy Winehouse fans

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 16:20

Submachine wrote:Massive Amy Winehouse fans

or they can just toy with you Very Happy

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next